Star Trek (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 196 Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post

Mr Potts,

I preordered Star Trek on Blu-Ray before release and when I found out the audio was Dolby True HD instead of DTS-HD Master Audio, I had reservations (nothing major just a self question of "why Dolby when DTS sounds better".) Then I read your review and said "hmmm, maybe I shouldn't worry too much - but it's still not DTS." Then I recieved the Blu-Ray Thursday and previewed it for audio/video levels and had a viewing party last night.

The verdict...this Blu-Ray is awesome! The raunchy brass section in the music scores (the brass of the James Bond theme sounds like smooth jazz in comparison), the phaser fight sequence (wow - love the dynamics going on here!), and the warp sequences (such tight punch and with a precise kick you can feel and hear... jaw dropping awesome!) really leave an impression. The dynamic range is excellent - from precise clarity of wispering and subtle background noise to the tight loudness of explosions and planet destruction, there is no undefined sound - it is all extremely well defined. This Blu-Ray for first time showed me Dolby True HD was every bit as good as DTS HD Master Audio can be...'I am relieved.'

Video is not as amazing as the audio, but still extremely well done. Love how the movie is framed and shot, having a Star Trek visual feel to it while still being somewhat unique as its own movie. Lens flares work. Total audio-visual experience = most awesome Blu-Ray experience yet. Definately THE Dolby True HD reference Blu-Ray. Actually IMO, THE audio reference Blu-Ray, period. Thanks for your Star Trek Blu-Ray review; I will be paying more attention to your future Blu-Ray reviews!


Greetings,

Thank you for your thoughtful post Vracer111. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the disc and my review. I look forward to seeing you around the review forum.

BTW - You can call me Ralph


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 196 Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Trek film of the entire series. Can't wait for the saga to continue...again!

David Barteaux is offline  
post #93 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Andy-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oshawa Ontario Canada
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched the movie last night on a 106" screen. Why thats important below. By the way I consider myself a Treky

First a few criticisms:
-Bone Character was overplayed
-As stated before it is to unbelievable that the whole traditional crew comes out or the academy at once and meets each other on the first enterprise mission.
-Also not credible. after the initial maiden adventure the crew remains intact? The jewel of the fleet has a Sr crew of inexperienced youngsters????
- The software that they used to add camera shake (to simulate a handheld camera) made me sea sick. It was overused to say the least.
-As was the trick of adding camera lens glare to the space shots (to simulate that someone actually shot the scene in space instead of it being purely computer developed).

Real Televisions are measured in Feet, not Inches!

I don't go big or go home.....I Go Home to Go Big
Andy-Man is offline  
post #94 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaveUpton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Man View Post

Watched the movie last night on a 106" screen. Why thats important below. By the way I consider myself a Treky

First a few criticisms:
-Bone Character was overplayed
-As stated before it is to unbelievable that the whole traditional crew comes out or the academy at once and meets each other on the first enterprise mission.
-Also not credible. after the initial maiden adventure the crew remains intact? The jewel of the fleet has a Sr crew of inexperienced youngsters????
- The software that they used to add camera shake (to simulate a handheld camera) made me sea sick. It was overused to say the least.
-As was the trick of adding camera lens glare to the space shots (to simulate that someone actually shot the scene in space instead of it being purely computer developed).

So basically you're looking for reasons to dislike the film?

In my opinion the casting was excellent - whether you want to buy into the backstory is pretty irrelevant. It's no less believable than warp drive, alien races in a federation or red matter..

Verum postulo res.
DaveUpton is offline  
post #95 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
osofast240sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveupton View Post

so basically you're looking for reasons to dislike the film?

In my opinion the casting was excellent - whether you want to buy into the backstory is pretty irrelevant. It's no less believable than warp drive, alien races in a federation or red matter..

+100000000000
osofast240sx is offline  
post #96 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Vipfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
After seeing movies like Gi Joke and Trannyformers, I'd gladly except those "criticism"...

My Summer Motto: "When Nature turns off the damn heat I'll turn off my A/C"
Vipfreak is offline  
post #97 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave vaughn View Post

the audio and video are both very impressive (my review will be posted later this week), but i found some intelligibility issues in a few scenes when the effects drown out the dialog. This has more to do with the way the movie was adr'd than the actual encode, but it's the only minor flaw imho, other than this...it rocks!

+1

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #98 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JJHXBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandpoint, ID & Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have found that this blu-ray and many others have many scenes where the dialog is so low that unless I turn the volume up to like -9 I can't hardly make it out.
I only find this when playing back certain blu-ray movies with Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA soundtracks.
This is not a problem when the previews come up in generic DD, as volume is always loud.
I find I have to constantly be adjusting the volume through out the entire movie, turning the volume up to hear soft dialog and turning it down during action scenes.
I don't ever remember having to turn the volume up this high when watching DVD's.
Other then having these volume issues I really enjoyed this film.
Thanks for the review.
JJHXBR is offline  
post #99 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I have found that this blu-ray and many others have many scenes where the dialog is so low that unless I turn the volume up to like -9 I can't hardly make it out.
I only find this when playing back certain blu-ray movies with Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA soundtracks.
This is not a problem when the previews come up in generic DD, as volume is always loud.
I find I have to constantly be adjusting the volume through out the entire movie, turning the volume up to hear soft dialog and turning it down during action scenes.
I don't ever remember having to turn the volume up this high when watching DVD's.
Other then having these volume issues I really enjoyed this film.
Thanks for the review.

Is there a particular scene or two you can mention? I want to check them out. Thanks!

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #100 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Is there a particular scene or two you can mention? I want to check them out. Thanks!

Roger, the very first few minutes of Star Trek had a very low recorded dialog.. And there was little background effects. Watched at -2 on my system but -0 higher may've been better.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #101 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JJHXBR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandpoint, ID & Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Roger, the very first few minutes of Star Trek had a very low recorded dialog.. And there was little background effects. Watched at -2 on my system but -0 higher may've been better.

So I am not the only one who has this volume issue.
Why do they record some of these movies so you have to turn your amp up to a blasting -0 just to hear the dialog and then have to quickly turn it down to -15 during action scenes so you don't blow your speakers out?
Is this suppose to be progress?
Quite frankly I thought that movie watching was suppose to be relaxing and not a workout with your remote.
JJHXBR is offline  
post #102 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: vermont
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

So basically you're looking for reasons to dislike the film?

In my opinion the casting was excellent - whether you want to buy into the backstory is pretty irrelevant. It's no less believable than warp drive, alien races in a federation or red matter..

i agree with you, old trekkes keep comparing this film to the old films,and as a trekkie myself,i don't do that. this is not rick berman and co. anymore. its all new from top to bottom and you have to judge this film based on all things are new.paramount is looking for a new fan base too,a younger fan base.btw we were the same age back when tos came out.

to me paramount is saying to old trekers come aboard if you want,but basically our day is over,past,done. time to move on with a new cast ,director etc. i agree with it all.

now that this film is in the can, we can judge the next film to this film.
tvine2000 is offline  
post #103 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

So I am not the only one who has this volume issue.
Why do they record some of these movies so you have to turn your amp up to a blasting -0 just to hear the dialog and then have to quickly turn it down to -15 during action scenes so you don't blow your speakers out?
Is this suppose to be progress?
Quite frankly I thought that movie watching was suppose to be relaxing and not a workout with your remote.

Actually, they record these movies to be played in a theater.

Have any of you tried "Night mode" with this track? That will certainly reduce the extremes between loud and soft.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #104 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LL3HD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Flushing, New York, USA
Posts: 5,409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

i agree with you, old trekkes keep comparing this film to the old films,and as a trekkie myself,i don't do that. this is not rick berman and co. anymore. its all new from top to bottom and you have to judge this film based on all things are new.paramount is looking for a new fan base too,a younger fan base.btw we were the same age back when tos came out.

to me paramount is saying to old trekers come aboard if you want,but basically our day is over,past,done. time to move on with a new cast ,director etc. i agree with it all.

now that this film is in the can, we can judge the next film to this film.

You might be right but personally, what sealed the deal, what made this a great addition to the Star Trek franchise, was the inclusion of Leonard Nimoy (and of course his fine performance). He validated it for all of us original fans that have been on board since day one. Without Nimoy, this movie would have been just another ambitious sci-fi flick. It's like Apocalypse Now without Brando, or The Third Man without Orson Wells, to name two examples. Obviously Nimoy was not that phenomenal in this movie but it was his presence and his performance that tied it all together.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
LL3HD is offline  
post #105 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PeterTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Actually, they record these movies to be played in a theater.

Have any of you tried "Night mode" with this track? That will certainly reduce the extremes between loud and soft.

I am also wondering if folks have their systems properly calibrated. It's not just overall test tone levels but equalization as well.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
PeterTHX is offline  
post #106 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Great movie and im only half way threw, the LFE is incredible Its really making my SVS pb13 shine gotta luv that subsonic bass you can feel and not hear
TheFactor is offline  
post #107 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Actually, they record these movies to be played in a theater.

Have any of you tried "Night mode" with this track? That will certainly reduce the extremes between loud and soft.

It might be your setup or try turning up your center channel a little . Im not having that issue but im running a pretty massive center channel .
TheFactor is offline  
post #108 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

It might be your setup or try turning up your center channel a little . Im not having that issue but im running a pretty massive center channel .

Thanks, but I'm having no problem with ST dialogue.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #109 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,984
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

I am also wondering if folks have their systems properly calibrated. It's not just overall test tone levels but equalization as well.

+1.

And room acoustics also plays a roll.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #110 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
My room is pretty ideal from an acoustical and equipment calibration stand point. This recording was a bit quiet... Check the first few minutes out.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
post #111 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Member
 
JMCurtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-Man View Post

Watched the movie last night on a 106" screen. Why thats important below. By the way I consider myself a Treky

First a few criticisms:
-Bone Character was overplayed
-As stated before it is to unbelievable that the whole traditional crew comes out or the academy at once and meets each other on the first enterprise mission.
-Also not credible. after the initial maiden adventure the crew remains intact? The jewel of the fleet has a Sr crew of inexperienced youngsters????
- The software that they used to add camera shake (to simulate a handheld camera) made me sea sick. It was overused to say the least.
-As was the trick of adding camera lens glare to the space shots (to simulate that someone actually shot the scene in space instead of it being purely computer developed).

Really liked the movie myself, except that I also don't like the use of what I call SHAKY CAM!! makes me think of poor camera handling!! Good for effect during explosive or high impact scenes - but NOT all the time!!
JMCurtis is offline  
post #112 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Thanks, but I'm having no problem with ST dialogue.

oops my bad sorry my quote was intended elsewere btw Nice HT !!!
TheFactor is offline  
post #113 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Member
 
Vracer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

So I am not the only one who has this volume issue.
Why do they record some of these movies so you have to turn your amp up to a blasting -0 just to hear the dialog and then have to quickly turn it down to -15 during action scenes so you don't blow your speakers out?
Is this suppose to be progress?
Quite frankly I thought that movie watching was suppose to be relaxing and not a workout with your remote.

It's not a Blu-Ray recording level issue if the audio level seems inconsistant. My living room is far from acoustically ideal, but my system (NAD T-747 reciever with Polk RTi series speakers, twin Polk DSW PRO 500 subs setup with an Anti-Mode 8033 sub equalizer) master volume was set at -12 and left there for the entirety of the movie. Everything from whispers to explosions/warp was as it should be - clear and intelligible at the appropriate volume levels.
Vracer111 is offline  
post #114 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Senior Member
 
LowBudget5.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: D/FW, Texas
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Excellent review!


My wife & I finally sat down and watched this tonight. Excellent movie all around, especially for a Trekkie like myself. I didn't think I was going to like Abrams rebooted version, but it was fresh and entertaining. It appealed to audiences that have never even seen a Star Trek TOS episode. I think that's a good thing for the franchise itself.

The PQ was superb, but the Dolby True HD was astounding. The surround detail, clear vocals, and the shear authority was incredible. The ships had a weighty presence. The phaser fire on Nero's ship was freakin' awesome. There were a few scenes here and there where my Infinity PS212 simply could not keep up. Like the escape pod ejection with Kirk's mother at the beginning of the film. It just couldn't reach down low enough and lost authority. Movies like this are a catch 22 for me. Great entertainment fodder, but reminds me of the inadequacies of my sub. I need to pick up a SVS or HSU sub. LFE aside, the whole sound stage was absolutely top notch. Paramount did everything right on this Blu-ray. It needs to be the De facto standard for future movies in terms of picture & sound presentation. I've seen several Blu-ray movies thus far that are utterly unimpressive for ostensibly "lossless" sound.
LowBudget5.1 is offline  
post #115 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Just completed watching it and it falls wright up there with my top 5 movies . I never saw a single star trek movie or episode so was a little concerned when I bought this bluray but I really enjoyed this one , My pb13 didnt miss a note . The LFE is done beautifuly on this movie
TheFactor is offline  
post #116 of 196 Old 11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TheFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Great Northwest
Posts: 4,058
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

Excellent review!


My wife & I finally sat down and watched this tonight. Excellent movie all around, especially for a Trekkie like myself. I didn't think I was going to like Abrams rebooted version, but it was fresh and entertaining. It appealed to audiences that have never even seen a Star Trek TOS episode. I think that's a good thing for the franchise itself.

The PQ was superb, but the Dolby True HD was astounding. The surround detail, clear vocals, and the shear authority was incredible. The ships had a weighty presence. The phaser fire on Nero's ship was freakin' awesome. There were a few scenes here and there where my Infinity PS212 simply could not keep up. Like the escape pod ejection with Kirk's mother at the beginning of the film. It just couldn't reach down low enough and lost authority. Movies like this are a catch 22 for me. Great entertainment fodder, but reminds me of the inadequacies of my sub. I need to pick up a SVS or HSU sub. LFE aside, the whole sound stage was absolutely top notch. Paramount did everything right on this Blu-ray. It needs to be the De facto standard for future movies in terms of picture & sound presentation. I've seen several Blu-ray movies thus far that are utterly unimpressive for ostensibly "lossless" sound.

Well said and yes a SVS PB 13 would completely satisfy your LFE needs with this or any other movie, it really confirmed I picked the wright sub for my bass needs, how can you not luv a sub that produces clean bass that you cant hear sometimes but you can feel from your toes to the top of your head
TheFactor is offline  
post #117 of 196 Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Member
 
Shoujiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had to chime in here, as this is the first movie i watched on my new BluRay playing in my home cinema and it was amazing. Also, my first usage of the 7.1 analog multichannel inputs on my Onkyo receiver too.

Before starting the movie, i calibrated everything with a level meter to 75dBA @ -0. It was pretty close with a few speakers only 2 or 3 increments out (due to physical locations not being ideal for the surrounds for example). I had to turn my center channel down by 1 increment for it to remain at 75db during the test tone/pink noise. I also found my sub was way too high (sitting at around 90dB .. i must like my bass :P ). Anyways, turned it down and everything is set perfect.

I watched the film at -0, which according to what i've read, is the level it would be played at in a cinema, no attenuation and no amplification of the input, straight off the disc and off to the amplifiers (in my case, mono blocks via the preouts).

All i can say is AMAZING. It is so clear. There are times when you jump out of your seat it's so intense/loud, but i do that in the cinema, so it was nice to recreate that at home. And yet, in dialog, it was a perfect level. BluRay discs seem to have so much dynamic range for sound levels. You can here the tiniest of sounds in the background at whisper quiet levels, and yet when there's action, the house lifts off the stumps. Also, my CRT projector seems to like the video much better. Much much more inky blacks without any compromise in brightness level of other details. Is this something that BluRay improves on or is this just that the player might be better? (LG BD390 vs my old Onkyo DVSP501 DVD player).

All in all, love the film to bits and love this new format!

|OOO| Sony VPH-1272QM

Regards,
Kurt
Melbourne, Australia
Shoujiki is offline  
post #118 of 196 Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ILJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 1,435
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What a ride! I enjoyed more at home than in the theatre! (which is becomming more and more common these days)

Eye candy, ear candy, action-on-steroids candy, all there!

I agree with the myriad of comments that "it's not your father's Star Trek" and doesn't have the feeling of "ghosts of franchises past," but like others have also said, I don't care. It stands brilliantly on its own two feet while also maintaining enough of the characters and previous stories to be recognizable, and still likeable.

One comment someone made in another thread (or was it this thread?) where someone posted that "it looked like an Apple Store threw up on the bridge" still has me chuckling. Yeah, lots of bright white everywhere. That didn't phase me.

While anyone could poke any number of holes into almost any movie ever made, really, just one irked me. Although just a little, it irked me just the same.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
It didn't make sense to me that Chekov, after jumping out of his seat, after hearing there was a transporter problem (what is it with people instantly dashing to the transporter room when there's a transporter problem, like in ST:TMP) was able to "lock on" to Kirk and Sulu when they were falling so fast and still successfully beam them back, but somehow already locked on to all the Vulcans, including Spock's mom, but then couldn't pull her back with the rest, when she wasn't falling nearly as fast yet??

OK, maybe one more little pet peeve. Bones continuously injecting Kirk with antidotes after the first injection just got plain silly. Some say Bones was "overdone" by Karl Urban, well maybe, but this was only schtick that I didn't care for, but again, not even close to being a dealbreaker.


OK, totally nerd pet peeves over.

SciFi and A/V nirvana. That's what this movie is. And damn, Zoe Saldana is fine!!!

*************************************************

Still looking for a movie theatre that shows movies the way they're SUPPOSED to be viewed...



...with a bitrate meter and screencaps.
ILJG is offline  
post #119 of 196 Old 11-23-2009, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,519
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I have found that this blu-ray and many others have many scenes where the dialog is so low that unless I turn the volume up to like -9 I can't hardly make it out.
I only find this when playing back certain blu-ray movies with Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA soundtracks.
This is not a problem when the previews come up in generic DD, as volume is always loud.
I find I have to constantly be adjusting the volume through out the entire movie, turning the volume up to hear soft dialog and turning it down during action scenes.
I don't ever remember having to turn the volume up this high when watching DVD's.
Other then having these volume issues I really enjoyed this film.
Thanks for the review.

Greetings,

I didn't recall having any issues with dialogue intelligibility and reviewing my notes indicated no mention of that. I went back and watched the opening sequence and confirmed that while there is (intentionally) much going on during the attack etc. I had no problem with discerning what is being said by focally positioned dialogue or what is being said off camera.

There is lots of activity in that sequence though and I suspect that proper system balance would be essential to allowing all that is going on to be clearly interpreted.

Let me state up front that these comments are not meant to imply that those having issues don't properly have their systems setup.


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #120 of 196 Old 11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 24,025
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I didn't recall having any issues with dialogue intelligibility and reviewing my notes indicated no mention of that. I went back and watched the opening sequence and confirmed that while there is (intentionally) much going on during the attack etc. I had no problem with discerning what is being said by focally positioned dialogue or what is being said off camera.

There is lots of activity in that sequence though and I suspect that proper system balance would be essential to allowing all that is going on to be clearly interpreted.

Let me state up front that these comments are not meant to imply that those having issues don't properly have their systems setup.


Regards,

I didn't have any intelligibility issues with the first few minutes either.... Just that the dialog level seemed lower than it should've been.

Overall, excellent soundtrack. Nice review.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is online now  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection Star Trek I Ii Iii Iv V Vi The Captains Summit Bonus Di , Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off