Star Trek (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 196 Old 02-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
After reading Ralph's review (which I value highly) I rented this movie. My primary interest was in the audio, which he gave a perfect score, as I had recently upgraded my whole system and really wanted to test it out. I found the SQ to be very good but not perfect as some dialogue was hard to understand. This could and probably was due to the fact that acting now seems to be a competition to see who can deliver their lines in as low and dramatic voice as possible.
Anyway, the sound editing was very good in the battle scenes and in the panning. PQ was also first rate.

Not being a Trekkie and really finding the whole subculture oddly strange, I really liked this movie. The characters were of course, familiar, but it didn't play to the cultish fan. It told a new and exciting story that anyone could enjoy.

I eagerly look forward to the next chapter and only hope that they give us more of the same great storytelling and not feel that they have to extravagantly/ridiculously outdo themselves, ie. "The Dark Knight", a sorry sequel to an otherwise good film, "Batman Begins".

Highly recommended.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 196 Old 02-21-2010, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

I found the SQ to be very good but not perfect as some dialogue was hard to understand.

If you're having dialogue intelligibility issues with two of the best sounding films I know of, it's got to be something with your system, bro.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #183 of 196 Old 02-21-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by summa View Post

if you're having dialogue intelligibility issues with two of the best sounding films i know of, it's got to be something with your system, bro.

+1

Regency Park Family Theater

post #184 of 196 Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

This could and probably was due to the fact that acting now seems to be a competition to see who can deliver their lines in as low and dramatic voice as possible.

Say wha...

Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

post #185 of 196 Old 02-23-2010, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

This could and probably was due to the fact that acting now seems to be a competition to see who can deliver their lines in as low and dramatic voice as possible.

LMAO! Spot on!

In my opinion this movie was close to unwatchable. Insulting to one's intelligence (if one has any).
post #186 of 196 Old 05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvp2005fan View Post

. . .In addition, the leaps of logic in the plot grated. . .let's maroon him on an ice planet where he'll be chased by a big ice creature, which will be eaten by a bigger ice creature at the last minute, just before you run into a cave to meet a Vulcan from the future.

. . .Getting the BD for Christmas and will be eager to turn this loose on my Kuro and subs!

Well, I did get this blu-ray for Christmas.

After rewatching the film, and finally viewing the outstanding selection of documentary features, I think I was a little harder on the film that I should have been.

First of all, it turns out that a key dialogue sequence that was cut out of the movie would have helped explain the amazing set of coincidences needed for the plot to come off. (meeting Spock in cave, on the very planet Scotty was on, etc.)

Apparently, Kirk was originally supposed to mention these strange happenstances to Spock Prime in the cave, and Spoke Prime muses that "perhaps it is the time stream trying to mend itself." Flimsy logic maybe, but at least it would have helped make the deux ex machina nature of the script a little more palatable.

Secondly, it is very obvious that nearly all of the primary makers of this Trek iteration are genuine Star Trek fans. The lengths they went to (especially the sound effects supervisor) to "get it right" were pretty amazing. It really does appear they wanted to do the concept justice by giving it their best.

This doesn't ameliorate all of the ambivalence I have for the film, but at least now I can appreciate it for what it is--an extremely well-done reimagining of a world so many love.

In summary, I'd urge any Trekker or Trekkie to experience all of the extras in the set--they are impressive, humorous, and above all, human. I think you'll come away as impressed as I am.

post #187 of 196 Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM

I agree completely, this is a sweet release. One of my favourites

(
) -
post #188 of 196 Old 06-16-2010, 04:31 PM

First, I consider myself a big Star Trek fan (though not a Trekkie who can recite ST lore at will). Second, I thought the movie was great entertainment: saw it on an IMAX screen when it first came out and it is now the only Blu-ray disc I own. I've watched it twice in my HT (plus several partial showings) and as Ralph and many others have noted, the video and audio were stunning.

Second, several other posts in this thread have pointed out various plot implausibilities that I won't rehash, that I hadn't given thought to while watching the movie, and that won't detract from my enjoyment of it when I view it next -- even though I think many of the potential flaws raised are well taken. I love this flick and what it accomplishes for bridging the old with the new, and hopefully reviving interest in the "series". It's one heckuva thrill ride.

But...alas, after watching the movie the third time, I started to think about what I believe to be a huge plot flaw, and my thread search hasn't turned it up thus far. I'm hoping that I've overlooked something in the storyline that explains this away -- maybe a line or two that Nero spoke that I missed or don't recall -- and thus that some of you can rebut my following comments.

In a nutshell: If Nero possesses the Red Matter in the "present" timeline, when Romulus still exists, doesn't he realize that HE can prevent the future destruction of Romulus (as Spock Prime would supposedly have done, had Spock Prime arrived in the Romulus system before the supernova). And if that future time line takes place too many years in the future for Nero to still be alive, can't he pass on the Red Matter to someone else who'll prevent Romulus' destruction? You would have to believe that he is so massively engulfed by rage and a desire for vengeance that he would risk the eventual saving of his entire planet (and possibly beloved future wife) for the "pleasure" of getting even with Spock, destroying Vulcan and other Fed. planets, and so forth. Now, yes, I'm familiar with Othello and the pitfalls of blind rage, but...Nero has had a long long long time to figure this one out.

I still love this movie and will happily watch it again in the future.
post #189 of 196 Old 06-16-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

In a nutshell: If Nero possesses the Red Matter in the "present" timeline, when Romulus still exists, doesn't he realize that HE can prevent the future destruction of Romulus (as Spock Prime would supposedly have done, had Spock Prime arrived in the Romulus system before the supernova). And if that future time line takes place too many years in the future for Nero to still be alive, can't he pass on the Red Matter to someone else who'll prevent Romulus' destruction? You would have to believe that he is so massively engulfed by rage and a desire for vengeance that he would risk the eventual saving of his entire planet (and possibly beloved future wife) for the "pleasure" of getting even with Spock, destroying Vulcan and other Fed. planets, and so forth. Now, yes, I'm familiar with Othello and the pitfalls of blind rage, but...Nero has had a long long long time to figure this one out.

I still love this movie and will happily watch it again in the future.

Mike, that's a good point and I hadn't thought of it that way. Although it doesn't make great cinema to watch Red Matter be handed down through the generations...not very much action!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #190 of 196 Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike W View Post

Well, the answer lies in your own comment.

Nero figures he has a while to save his planet, over a century. In the meantime he can "clean house" and get rid of all the Romulan Empire's enemies: the Federation, the Klingon Empire, etc (exactly what he told Captain Pike). He has plenty of red matter and a ship impervious to Federation & Klingon 23rd Century tech.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #191 of 196 Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

He has plenty of red matter and a ship impervious to Federation & Klingon 23rd Century tech.

Unless you watch the deleted scenes where we find out that the Klingons capture Nero and his ship. It's implied that they allow themselves to be captured until a point in the future when Spock is expected to arrive. Basically they were bored and didn't know what to do with themselves. Then they escape to meet him. Taking their ship and the red matter with them. Talk about plot holes.
post #192 of 196 Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8mondays View Post

Unless you watch the deleted scenes where we find out that the Klingons capture Nero and his ship. It's implied that they allow themselves to be captured until a point in the future when Spock is expected to arrive. Basically they were bored and didn't know what to do with themselves. Then they escape to meet him. Taking their ship and the red matter with them. Talk about plot holes.

Perhaps why the sequence was deleted.

In any case, they didn't allow themselves to be captured. The collision with the Kelvin disabled the Narada long enough for the Klingons to board the ship. It was established that the Narada wouldn't give up any technology and the Klingons didn't know what to do with it, hence the interrogation by the ├╝ber cool Victor Garber.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #193 of 196 Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Well, the answer lies in your own comment.

Nero figures he has a while to save his planet, over a century. In the meantime he can "clean house" and get rid of all the Romulan Empire's enemies: the Federation, the Klingon Empire, etc (exactly what he told Captain Pike). He has plenty of red matter and a ship impervious to Federation & Klingon 23rd Century tech.

Although I recall Nero describing his nefarious plans to destroy the Federation, etc., to captured Capt. Pike, I don't recall him specifically mentioning that he intends to then use the Red Matter to save Romulus from the supernova in the future. If I missed it, that would help improve the plausibility of this plot element for me (i.e., at least, through all the rage, he recognized his ability to save Romulus). Did he specifically mention this to Pike or others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8mondays View Post

I've avoided watching the deleted scenes thus far (sometimes, I just don't wanna know)...but I think I'll have to give them a look.

Mike W.
post #194 of 196 Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Just upgraded to 5.1, using all equipment that was a result of long review of information gathered on avsforum including names like SVS, Outlaw and Parasound. I wanted to find a great movie to really check out this new system and found this review. I already had the Blu Ray disc but hadn't gotten around to watching it. So tonight I did and I think I left parts of my brain splattered on the ceiling. The audio part of the review was right. As over the top as the description was, the reality lived up to it. If I want to demonstrate my system to anyone all I'll have to do is play that opening sequence. Later in the movie when the Romulan ship went into warp I think my house went into warp with it. Thanks for the great review - what a great ride!
post #195 of 196 Old 09-16-2010, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls_ny View Post

Just upgraded to 5.1, using all equipment that was a result of long review of information gathered on avsforum including names like SVS, Outlaw and Parasound. I wanted to find a great movie to really check out this new system and found this review. I already had the Blu Ray disc but hadn't gotten around to watching it. So tonight I did and I think I left parts of my brain splattered on the ceiling. The audio part of the review was right. As over the top as the description was, the reality lived up to it. If I want to demonstrate my system to anyone all I'll have to do is play that opening sequence. Later in the movie when the Romulan ship went into warp I think my house went into warp with it. Thanks for the great review - what a great ride!

Greetings,

You're more than welcome. Welcome to the world of lossless surround sound..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #196 of 196 Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
This was my, over-all, favorite disc of 2009 for movie, PQ and AQ. Love the first scene for a demo. Still looking for something as strong released this year...

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection Star Trek I Ii Iii Iv V Vi The Captains Summit Bonus Di , Blu Ray Movies , Star Trek Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Star by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page