Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 11-20-2009, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A pretty good star trek spoof. I enjoyed it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Just read the review to this film, I used to always walk past this film at the video store many years ago and have completley forgot about its existience until seeing this in your review. I assumed it was like spaceballs( which I didn't like). But after reading your review especially what the story is about I'm thinking never judge a book by it's cover. Will know try to rent first on BD or if it goes cheap will buy on BD.

Frank

post #33 of 48 Old 12-04-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just read the review to this film, I used to always walk past this film at the video store many years ago and have completley forgot about its existience until seeing this in your review. I assumed it was like spaceballs( which I didn't like). But after reading your review especially what the story is about I'm thinking never judge a book by it's cover. Will know try to rent first on BD or if it goes cheap will buy on BD.

I have the DTS DVD, but if I find it cheap, I'm tempted to double-dip and get the BD, even though I'm only using my TV's speakers, if only for the PQ improvement. Neither my wife nor I are big Star Trek fans, but GQ is one of our favorite movies. It has all the elements of a highly-enjoyable film. It's a spoof of both Trekkies and Star Trek, but it's a kind spoof, not a mean one.
post #34 of 48 Old 12-04-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Greetings,

Easily worth the cost of a rental to check out Frank.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 48 Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Easily worth the cost of a rental to check out Frank.

Cheers,

Will do Ralph

Frank

post #36 of 48 Old 12-06-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
While it's a comedy, it is nothing like Space Balls (which I also happen to like).

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #37 of 48 Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Liked: 10
I'm not sure if you mean it's nowhere near as funny, or literally nothing like it. If you mean the latter, I agree. They're both parodies, but in very different styles. Mel Brooks tends to fire off several jokes per minute, everything from slapstick to almost subtle, and see what sticks. Just about anyone will find something funny, and will end up laughing many times, and even if some of it is pretty stupid, you at least feel entertained overall.

Galaxy Quest seems to be more specific and sometimes quite subtle. Also, the script began life with a somewhat darker tone, and it was only partway through development that they made the decision to go for more outright comedy.

I like both movies a lot, but for different reasons. I've had both on DVD for years, but find myself watching Galaxy Quest more often. It seems to have better replay value overall.
post #38 of 48 Old 12-21-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The latter.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #39 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Part of the reason Galaxy Quest is such a dead-on but loving parody of the Trek universe is the involvement of Michael Okuda, who did graphic design for Trek starting with Next Generation. The Galactopedia on the Blu-ray - to which he contributed - is a masterpiece of tongue-in-cheek comedy itself, functioning on two levels, containing wonderful gags both within the Galaxy Quest reality ("Appearance Generator - Enabled Thermians to keep up with the latest fashions, until the day the power failed, making nudity the fashion of the hour" - rough paraphrase from memory) and the fictional Hollywood reality in which the actors live - including entries about the contemporary debate over whether the crash-landing into the convention center at the end was just a publicity stunt by the show's producer. (Check out his text-based commentary [subtitles] on Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan - when the initial battle sequence showed the usual exploding command consoles on the bridge, he noted wryly, "Didn't they have circuit-breakers? I don't think those ships were up to Code.")

-Phil

post #40 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 AM

Liked: 16
Galaxy Quest is one of my all time favorite movies. It just makes me happy. There are many movies I think are better, but few I enjoy as much.
post #41 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Except for a few painfully obvious ADR loops to lower the original PG-13 MPAA rating to PG, it's a pretty awesome send up of the Trek universe. They should have had an alternate "uncensored" lossless track that included the original swear words... in those instances the scenes probably would have actually been funnier (because you wouldn't have expected them in a movie like this), especially the one with Weaver, Allen, and the Chompers. wink.gif

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #42 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Except for a few painfully obvious ADR loops to lower the original PG-13 MPAA rating to PG, it's a pretty awesome send up of the Trek universe. They should have had an alternate "uncensored" lossless track that included the original swear words... in those instances the scenes probably would have actually been funnier (because you wouldn't have expected them in a movie like this), especially the one with Weaver, Allen, and the Chompers. wink.gif

Greetings,

So true.. biggrin.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #43 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I remember grinning from ear to ear when I left the theater after seeing this one, and have had a "new, still wrapped" blu-ray copy on the shelf for quite some time but haven't gotten around to watching it again. You guys bringing the thread back up has peaked my desire to see it again, so thanks! smile.gif

oz
post #44 of 48 Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of the chompers: "What are these things even for? That episode was badly-written!"

post #45 of 48 Old 04-29-2013, 06:50 PM

Liked: 16
Regarding PG-13 edits, anyone else notice that Tony Shalhoub's character of Fred was stoned the whole time. I guarantee there was a scene of him toking up backstage at the convention that they cut out. He's always got the munchies and is nonplussed by all the crazy adventure. Guy (Sam Rockwell) even asks him if he's stoned in one throwaway moment as they exit the frame.
post #46 of 48 Old 04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by batutta View Post

Regarding PG-13 edits, anyone else notice that Tony Shalhoub's character of Fred was stoned the whole time. I guarantee there was a scene of him toking up backstage at the convention that they cut out. He's always got the munchies and is nonplussed by all the crazy adventure. Guy (Sam Rockwell) even asks him if he's stoned in one throwaway moment as they exit the frame.

Maybe it was just Tony.

post #47 of 48 Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Holy thread resurrection batman, just realized how old this was. Fitting for this movie, as I'll pretty much watch it any time it's handy. First time I saw it though I was sure I wasn't going to like it and don't think I did get through that first watch....it kinda grows on ya. I put the bluray in my cart/wish list recently so didn't realize when the bluray came out in any case. Its on my dvr right now from one of the movie channels, too. This is just one of those movies that keeps on ticking for me.

As far as Spaceballs goes, I like that a lot, too but it's completely different style and only worth half as many views smile.gif. It's pretty schlocky even for Mel Brooks.

Of course Star Trek and Star Wars were pretty shlocky, too....especially in later years when both "series" took themselves so seriously trying to squeeze all the $ out possible. Galaxy Quest does do a nice job of summing all that up in a way.

post #48 of 48 Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Holy thread resurrection batman. . .

"It doesn't matter who I am, only what I do."

"Bruce?"

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews