Studio and Year: Paramount - 1999
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Thermian 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman, Tony Shaloub, Sam Rockwell, Daryl Mitchell, Enrico Colantoni, Missy Pyle, Patrick Breen
Directed by: Dean Parisot
Music by: David Newman
Written by: David Howard & Robert Gordon
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2009

"Never give up, never surrender"

Film Synopsis:

For four years, the courageous crew of the NSEA Protector -- "Commander Peter Qunicy Taggart" (Tim Allen), "Lt. Tawny Madison" (Sigourney Weaver) and "Dr. Lazarus" (Alan Rickman) -- set off on thrilling and often dangerous missions in space...and then their series was canceled! Now, twenty years later, aliens under attack have mistaken the Galaxy Quest television transmissions for "historical documents" and beamed up the crew of has-been actors to save the universe. With no script, no director and no clue, the actors must turn in the performances of their lives in this hilarious adventure.

My Take:

Galaxy Quest is a fun sci-fi comedy/spoof about a group of actors that spent 4 years on a popular Star Trek style TV show called Galaxy Quest. 17 years after the show's cancellation their type cast status has relegated them to conventions, and personal appearances to open stores etc. The show's star Jason Nesmith (Allen) seems to be the fan favorite and generally garners the majority of attention and special appearance requests. This and his large ego don't especially sit well with the rest of the crew but as a group they remain close. While signing autographs at a recent convention Jason is approached by a costumed group claiming to be Thermians from another planet. They request that Jason, the commander of the NSEA Protector, accompany them to help with their plight against an evil space warlord named Sarris. Jason believing it to be just another request for a special appearance goes along with it only to find himself unknowingly transported into space aboard a starship built as an exact replica of the one from the Galaxy Quest TV show. He and the Thermians are confronted by Sarris and Jason, still believing that what he is seeing is simply well done special effects, attacks Sarris catching him by surprise and temporarily subduing him. It is later revealed that the Thermians are able to intercept TV shows broadcast from earth and refer to them as earth's historical documents, believing them to be real. To better their race they model themselves using the Galaxy Quest show as an example. Afterward Jason discovers the truth, returns home and tries to convince the rest of the cast about what happened. Initially they ignore his outlandish story. The Thermians show up once again requesting the help of the original crew. This time they are all (plus 1) transported aboard the NSEA Protector and are unwittingly placed in the middle of a genocidal war between the Thermians and Sarris. Slowly the crew comes to the realization that what they are seeing is real and that as actors they are in no way equipped to deal with itor are they??

Being a sci-fi, comedy and Trek fan I was naturally drawn to and curious about Galaxy Quest. I didn't get around to catching it during its theatrical run but picked it up as a blind buy when it was released on DVD (can't believe its been over 9 years now!). I was instantly hooked and have sat through multiple viewings always finding myself laughing at and enjoying the same moments. It's a well written and light hearted parody that features great casting, deft humor, and enough action to give it a bit of an edge. It's great to finally see it come to Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some action violence, mild language, and sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Galaxy quest comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3 mbps.

I own Galaxy quest on DVD and always found its quality to be pleasing which gave me high hopes for this Blu-ray presentation. I wasn't disappointed as high definition detail is noteworthy, with firmly resolved images that exhibit definitive sharpness and two dimensional depth. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation, tonal warmth, and vivid textures. Contrast is strong which enlivens colors and enriches sequences containing both light and dark elements. This is readily apparent during the sequences that take place aboard the NSEA Protector as well as the shots of outer space. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with good dynamic range and gradational highlights. This is a great looking catalog release from Paramount that easily bests the DVD and results in an excellent presentation on Blu-ray Disc.

The lossless audio soundtrack renders clear, well articulated dialogue, and appreciable depth and dimension. The recorded elements are dynamically enriching which provides full bodied sound and robust bass response. This film doesn't rely on heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does effectively use the entire soundstage when appropriate. The mix excels at reproducing sounds at the right levels and accurately placing them within the sound field. Detail is rendered with aplomb which attenuates slight environmental cues and augmented the subtle texture of voices and sound effects.

Bonus Features:

• Galactopedia - interactive feature containing film info about people, technology, locations and more

• Historical documents: The story of Galaxy quest - 18 minute featurette

• Never give up, never surrender: The intrepid crew of the NSEA Protector - 23 minute featurette

• By Grabthar's hammer, what amazing effects - 7 minute featurette

• Alien school: Creating the Thermian race - 5 minute featurette

• Actors in space - 6 minute featurette

• Sigourney Weaver raps - 2 minutes

• 8 deleted scenes with select introduction

• Thermian audio track

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Galaxy Quest is one of my favorite parody's and is a film that for me never loses its comedic edge. I looked forward to its release on Blu-ray Disc and Paramount didn't disappoint with this entertaining and great looking high definition audio/video presentation. If you're a fan this is a highly recommended purchase. If you have never had the chance to see Galax Quest I can't think of a better way to experience it for the first time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Totally unexpected. Didn't realize they came out with the BR version of this movie.

This was an ok movie for me. It was funny and all but again just ok. Personally i'd skip it.

Great review though Ralph.

Cheers
post #3 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Looked good on DTheater, so I'm glad the BD holds up too
post #4 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

one of the last funny movies I've seen. up there with Farris, Cable Guy and Truman Show.

a funny comedy unlike nearly all nowdays.

I'm posting because "Tim Allen" is under the picture of Allen Rickman, and vise versa - did they screwup the BD case and actually print this out as shown?
post #5 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great review, Ralph! Those who have never been to a Star Trek convention cannot fully appreciate the humor in this film. They are not exaggerating in the least concerning a gathering of so many geeks lacking any semblance of a life in one place (I can say that, because I was one... If you happened to be in Colorado Springs around, oh 22 years ago, I was the guy walking through Rustic Hills Mall in full Trek regalia for a Fan Club meeting every Thursday night). They hit on every running gag throughout Trek, and Science Fiction conventions in general. I have had this pre-ordered ever since the initial announcement, and I'm glad your review reinforces my decision (I too have the SD version - non DTS).

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #6 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 08:38 AM

weird question. its a part that's always kind of bgged me and i always wondered if they'd fix it. the scene where weaver and allen are crawling through the depths of the ship, and you see her clearly mouth one word, but hear another, did they fix that?

great review. i always thought the thermian audio even on the dvd was a funny addition.
post #7 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1zt3d View Post

weird question. its a part that's always kind of bgged me and i always wondered if they'd fix it. the scene where weaver and allen are crawling through the depths of the ship, and you see her clearly mouth one word, but hear another, did they fix that?

great review. i always thought the thermian audio even on the dvd was a funny addition.

I have heard two views on this. First, they may have had to dub Weaver's line to maintain a PG-13 rating (in which case if they were to release it with the original line, would either require the MPAA to re-evaluate the rating, or the release would be "unrated"). Second, the obvious dub could have been done on purpose to add to the cheese factor...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #8 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw1zt3d View Post

Greetings,

Still present. There is also one that occurs eariler (in the beginning while they are still in the dressing room) where Daryl Mitchell clearly says one thing (expletive) and another is dubbed in. I would agree with the theory regarding a PG-13 rating.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Still present. There is also one that occurs eariler (in the beginning while they are still in the dressing room) where Daryl Mitchell clearly says one thing (expletive) and another is dubbed in. I would agree with the theory regarding a PG-13 rating.

Regards,

This was actually covered in one of the extras on the Special Edition DVD. They dubbed over those words to maintain the PG-13 rating.
post #10 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Thanks for the write up, Ralph. I've always liked this movie as just a fun time waster. Will definitely be picking it up on BD.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #11 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
"You must leave now or... WWWEEEE WWWWIIILLLL DDDDIIIEEEE!"

One of my favorite comedies. Definitely can't wait to catch this one on Bluray as my DVD bit the dust a while ago due to my 10 year old cousin.

Excellent review, Mr. Potts!

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo

post #12 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Does the Bluray correctly do the changing aspect ratio? As I recall, in theaters it was 1.33:1 for the TV show flashback, then goes to 1.85:1, then when they actually go to space it widens to 2.35:1.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #13 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM

What the hell are those things on the cover? I don't even remember them.
post #14 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Those would be the "miner/minor" aliens that were populating the abandoned mining facility, where Taggert & Co had to get the Berillium sphere, and who summoned the rock creature.

Peace... Vader

post #15 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojita View Post

Greetings,

Gwen: "Look, they look like little children" as she begins to step forward and is grabbed and pulled back by Guy: "What are you..doing..do you people actually watch the show??!"

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #16 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Ralph,

A fun flick. I bet Sigourney looks even better in HD.

Joe
post #17 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Dang it! They should have released this unrated and fixed those glaring looping problems. I think the scene would have been funnier if Weaver had actually said: "F**K THAT!!"

It's completely unlike what they would have said on the "family friendly" TV show of Galaxy Quest.

You can have one or two F-words and keep a PG-13 rating. The studio probably didn't want parents to have a tizzy fit over one F-word in a family comedy.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #18 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 06:35 PM

I too am curious about the aspect ratio changes. Is it like the theatrical, or like the dvd?

Great review, great film!
post #19 of 48 Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"

This movie is pretty enjoyable.
post #20 of 48 Old 11-12-2009, 12:55 AM

Does the BD menu have an Omega 13 option like the DVD?
post #21 of 48 Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any one else notice the names are backwards on the cover.

ISF Certified Calibrator
CalMan Pro
Electronics Junkie
post #22 of 48 Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkaw View Post

Any one else notice the names are backwards on the cover.

They're just in "billing" order. It's not supposed to be a caption for the picture.
post #23 of 48 Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by another schmo View Post

They're just in "billing" order. It's not supposed to be a caption for the picture.

Which I hate because they could easily swap the two characters and have it be correct.
post #24 of 48 Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 PM

I love it when Monk says (following the pod transportation) "That was a Hell of a thing!"
post #25 of 48 Old 11-13-2009, 10:30 AM

Yeah, "Monk" (actually Fred Kwan as "Chen" - not sure why the character is supposed to be Asian) is probably my favorite character. I love the way he just jumps into his new role as chief engineer.

Early on, when everyone else is still coming to grips with the fact that they are really out in space, on a real space ship, he notices a sliding door that isn't quite sliding properly, and tells Jason "I'll have one of the guys check it out". Then he nonchalantly heads down to engineering to get back to work.
post #26 of 48 Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM

RP: > It is later revealed that the Thermians are able to intercept
> TV shows broadcast from earth and refer to them as earth's
> historical documents, believing them to be real.

Actually, it was a bit more profound than that. They didn't
just mistake this one TV show for a documentary. The Thermians
did not even have the concept of fiction. They were learning
that some species don't speak truth "at some great cost".
Fairly striking for what on the surface was a lightweight
genre spoof.
_______
So, if space aliens landed,
would they have fiction?
post #27 of 48 Old 11-13-2009, 09:39 PM

[quote=Boundless;17531417]RP: > It is later revealed that the Thermians are able to intercept

Human: "What about Gilligan's Island?"
Thermian: "Oh, those poor people"
post #28 of 48 Old 11-14-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCupcakes View Post

Human: "What about Gilligan's Island?"
Thermian: "Oh, those poor people"

Weren't the Thermians puzzled by the laugh track that accompanied this story?

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #29 of 48 Old 11-14-2009, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post

RP: > It is later revealed that the Thermians are able to intercept

Actually, it was a bit more profound than that. They didn't
just mistake this one TV show for a documentary. The Thermians
did not even have the concept of fiction. They were learning
that some species don't speak truth "at some great cost".
Fairly striking for what on the surface was a lightweight
genre spoof.
_______
So, if space aliens landed,
would they have fiction?

Greetings,

Absolutely..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #30 of 48 Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Its inside out... and exploded!

Killed me.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Galaxy Quest Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Galaxy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page