Studio and Year: Tristar/Sony - 1998
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 139 minutes
Genre: Horror/Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Starring: Matthew Broderick, Jean Reno, Maria Pitillo, Hank Azaria, Kevin Dunn, Doug Savant, Michael Lerner, Harry Shearer
Directed by: Roland Emmerich
Music by: David Arnold
Written by: Dean Devlin & Roland Emmerich
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 10, 2009

"Size does matter…"

Film Synopsis:

Following the French atomic bomb tests in the South Pacific, an unknown creature is spotted passing westward through the Panama Canal. Scientist Niko Tatopolous is called in to investigate the matter, and he quickly arrives at the conclusion that a giant, irradiated lizard has been created by the explosions. Godzilla(r) then makes its way north, landing at Manhattan to begin wreaking havoc in the big city. Even with the combined forces of the U.S. military to fight the monster, will it be enough to save the people of New York?

My Take:

Growing up I used to love watching the Japanese monster/disaster movies. I was never much of a King Kong fan and always rooted for Godzilla. This 1998 Roland Emmerich film is quite different from those vintage movies. It puts an up to date and Americanized spin on the genre that features plenty of special effects, disaster laden destruction, and a corny yet fairly entertaining script. This was one of the early discs I bought on DVD and I find it to be an enjoyable guilty pleasure that I like to revisit from time to time. It loses something when compared to the monster’s movies of old but Roland Emmerich and company know how to liven things up with plenty of city leveling action, soldier stomping mayhem, and lightly veiled humor that keeps interest going. The plot is simple, a giant fish eating reptile hybrid invades to NYC in order to nest. It lays waste to the half the city and terrorizes its inhabitants while battling the military and establishing its nesting location. With little known about its origins or what it seeks in NY It is up to a worm seeking scientist, his ex-girlfriend wannabe news reporter, and a French undercover government agent to stop the creature and his brood from multiplying and eventually taking over the world. This of course isn’t meant to be artistically deep cinema. I think it achieves its goal with over the top thematic elements and lots of action/special effects that in the end make it quite fun to watch. Keep that in mind the first time you see it and you’ll probably have a good time with Godzilla.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for monster sci-fi action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Godzilla comes to Blu-ray Disc from Tristar/Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 mbps.

This film has a distinctive appearance that utilizes a reserved color palette, grainy aesthetic and toned down contrast. There are lots of dark sequences which work well toward setting the mood and tone of the subject material. Color balance is good and occasionally brighter hues pop nicely which successfully breaks things up. Skin tones appear delineated and predominantly life like in depiction. Blacks are fairly deep but gradationally inhibited which leaves them looking a tad flat. Detail in dark backgrounds and shadow filled areas is very good which give many of the dingy exterior/interior shots depth. Images aren’t razor sharp but do offer appreciable refinement during close up camera shots. The wide angle pans of the city have less dimensional quality and above average definition that leaves objects in backgrounds looking less resolute. Grain is moderate to heavy at times but it is consistently layered and gives the video a noticeably textured look. This presentation definitely improves upon the standard definition DVD and appears faithful to the film’s original elements.

Back in the day I used to use the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the DVD to demo my system and looked forward to checking it out with lossless audio. This 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix is very aggressive and makes consistent use of the entire surround platform. This recording features plenty of room filling bass that augments the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and David Arnold’s music score. While bass response is palpably tactile it doesn’t have the subsonic depth that I expected. The surround channels are actively engaged with a blend of discretely placed sounds and spatial ambience that invigorates the soundstage. Dynamic range is extended and visceral at times when combined with the high level of sonic detail present in the recording. I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds that were mixed into the background. The mix primarily facilitates seamless integration of the front rear channels which enhances the films numerous panning sequences. If I had one minor quibble it would be with the volume of some of the rear channel sound effects. This is a bombastic soundtrack already and occasionally I felt that the level of the sound effects in the rear soundstage were a bit hot. Those that like active, busy and loud surround mixes are in for a treat.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony’s new Movie IQ feature which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie.

• The ultimate Godzilla multiplayer trivia game

• (HD) 2012 Sneak peek – 2 minutes

• Commentary with visual effects supervisor Voelker Engel, and associate visual effects supervisor Karen Goulekas

• Behind the scenes of Godzilla with Charles Caiman (Harry Shearer in character)– 7 minutes

• All time best of Godzilla fight scenes – 10 minutes

• “Heroes” music video by The Wallflowers

• (HD) BD previews:

1. Ghostbusters
    2. The DaVinci code extended cut
    3. Close encounters of the third kind
    4. Year one
    5. The sky crawlers
    6. Monster house

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=158018&d=1258054743

Final Thoughts:

Godzilla doesn’t fall into the category of being considered classic cinema but I find it to be enjoyable, mindless entertainment that features plenty of action and entertaining special effects that enhance the experience. Its high definition debut on Blu-ray appears to have been minted from the same source as the DVD and offers fans a discernible improvement in video quality as well as powerful DTS-HD Maser Audio lossless sound. The bonus supplements proved mildly interesting although I think Sony’s Movie IQ interactive feature is cool. I have always enjoyed this film and am glad to add it in my Bu-ray collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Thanks, Ralph. Certainly not an Oscar winner for best picture, but a fun enough harmless action flick. Nice review as always.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #3 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

"I find it to be an enjoyable guilty pleasure that I like to revisit from time to time"

That about sums it up perfectly for me. I never have owned this movie, but I've always found that I enjoyed watching it when it pops up on a premium channel once in a while.
post #4 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 02:11 PM

Under BD previews, I believe that should be Monster House.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw the movie and it was great. But not a total must have type of movie. Am a big fan of Godzilla though so i'm still on the fence on this one.

Great review though Ralph.

Cheers
post #6 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Liked: 31
I purchased this on DVD...years ago, I had the DVIX player from C City
and I remember debating buying the Divix version for 1 play
or DVD...I opted for the DVD.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by z420er View Post

Under BD previews, I believe that should be Monster House.

Greetings,

You are correct! Thanks..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 27 Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 PM

It was a fun monster movie, Even if it wasn't accurately based on the source material.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 AM

Liked: 16
I love this film! I preordered it almost a year ago, and it was in the mail a few days ago. I'm reserving it for my new speaker system, though..

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
post #10 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 02:18 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Was meant to watch this weekend but the courier company decided to go slow know I have to wait next week with my other titles(UP & Monsters INC)

Frank
post #11 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This movie makes me think of the Transformers films. The gigantic lizard (who is nothing like the classic Godzilla of Japan) looks nice, things are smashed and blow up in huge and awesome ways, but all the human members of the cast are awful and you spend most of the movie wishing the lizard would just step on all of them halfway through and the second half of the movie is just giant lizard smashing up NYC. I wanted to kill Maria Pitillo's worthless character 5 minutes after she showed up, and poor Matthew Broderick was way, way over his head in this film. The only redeeming human actor in this film was Jean Reno, and only because NOBODY messes with with Leon the Professional.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel View Post

This movie makes me think of the Transformers films. The gigantic lizard (who is nothing like the classic Godzilla of Japan) looks nice, things are smashed and blow up in huge and awesome ways, but all the human members of the cast are awful and you spend most of the movie wishing the lizard would just step on all of them halfway through and the second half of the movie is just giant lizard smashing up NYC. I wanted to kill Maria Pitillo's worthless character 5 minutes after she showed up, and poor Matthew Broderick was way, way over his head in this film. The only redeeming human actor in this film was Jean Reno, and only because NOBODY messes with with Leon the Professional.

I agree Jean Reno saves the film, definitley one of my favorite actors

Frank
post #13 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This came out when I was in High School and it pretty much marked the end of me forgiving big summer movies that have terrible plots. Before I was able to look passed a contrived plot if the action was cool enough, Godzilla killed it for me.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

This movie makes me think of the Transformers films.

Next to "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", Godzilla is a masterpiece of intellectual cinema...

If it were not called "Godzilla" in the first place, me thinks that it would be much better received as what it is: a mindless, fun, roller-coaster ride, and nothing more.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #15 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post

Next to "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen", Godzilla is a classic of intellectual cinema...

If it were not called "Godzilla" in the first place, me thinks that it would be much better received as what it is: a mindless, fun, roller-coaster ride, and nothing more.

My sentiments exactly. There are alot more worthy classic release that I'd like to see in Blu-Ray.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 08:46 AM

A few other places have mentioned that this comes with eMovieCash for 2012........that makes this a no-brainer for me. I can use some of those mostly worthless Sony Blu-Ray Rewards points/coupons to get this for $10.95 shipped and after the free movie ticket, a good deal.

A fun movie - thanks for the review.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 AM

I liked Godzilla and have it on DVD. I thought about picking this up but I bought Heat instead. Still no review for that?
post #18 of 27 Old 11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Ralph, thanks for the review. I own the DVD so I'm on the fence about this BD.

I've always felt that this film was the inspiration for Cloverfield although it has never been mentioned as such by J.J. Abrams. Many similarities between the two with one being the grimmer version and the other more of a popcorn romp.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #19 of 27 Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM

I think Godzilla was a great movie for what it was supposed to be. It wasn't supposed to be ANYTHING more than a popcorn flick. I think people's own hype leads them to believe a movie with a monster (Godzilla at that) should even have a plot, or good character acting (these actors weren't that bad). If you want to get technical, this movie far surpasses the originals for plot, plausibility, and acting..though that doesn't make it better. I agree with the above sentiments, Jean Reno is the boss.
post #20 of 27 Old 11-14-2009, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectEF View Post

I think Godzilla was a great movie for what it was supposed to be. It wasn't supposed to be ANYTHING more than a popcorn flick. I think people's own hype leads them to believe a movie with a monster (Godzilla at that) should even have a plot, or good character acting (these actors weren't that bad).

Just cause it's supposed to be a popcorn flick with a monster shouldn't excuse it from being a good film. there are plenty of summer movies that actually respect our intelligence...District 9 comes to mind as a recent one...or Dark Knight
post #21 of 27 Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

Just cause it's supposed to be a popcorn flick with a monster shouldn't excuse it from being a good film. there are plenty of summer movies that actually respect our intelligence...District 9 comes to mind as a recent one...or Dark Knight

Neither District 9 or Dark Knight come under this category. All of Roland Emmerich's movies qualify as popcorn flicks.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #22 of 27 Old 11-14-2009, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The must of Roland Emmerich''s films is all about great sound and CGI,also the sacrifice of the president's life ,again in 2012.Nice review,Ralph.
post #23 of 27 Old 11-16-2009, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only redeeming human actor in this film was Jean Reno, and only because NOBODY messes with Leon in The Professional.

Damn right!! This movie (The Professional) actually comes out tomorrow which i already have an order in for it and cat wait!
post #24 of 27 Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great LFE.when Gozilla was running in NYC and very nice surround,too.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-19-2009, 03:58 PM

I didn't really care for this one when I saw it on VHS. It may be clearer on blu ray, but I don't know if that's worth it.
post #26 of 27 Old 11-23-2009, 09:28 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

I felt that the level of the sound effects in the rear soundstage were a bit hot.

I agree Ralph with that comment. I thought the whole film the mix was quite hot. I had to go down -10db to my normal listening. The movie itself was an absolute bore. I remember watching it in the movies years a go and it was great. I guess thing changed.

Frank
post #27 of 27 Old 02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Totally wanted more Ultra Low LFE with this movie.

LFE was good...but really didn't push my PB-13 at all.

This LFE should be more on par with Cloverfield.

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Godzilla Blu Ray Widescreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page