Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Starring: Hayden Panettiere, Paul Rust, Jack Carpenter, Alan Ruck
Directed by: Chris Columbus
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Larry Doyle
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 3, 2009

"Five Little Words Can Change Your Life"

Film Synopsis:

When Denis (Rust), the geekiest guy in high school, proclaims his love for super-popular Beth Cooper (Panettiere), during his valedictorian speech, everyone is...well... speechless! But the real shock comes that night when Beth shows up at Denis's house with her two best friends to show him how the cool kids party.

My Take:

""You know where she lives, go to her house, bring a boom box."

There we have it- that line lets you clearly see where the filmmakers/writer were going with 'Beth Cooper'. Its a wanna be 80's teen flick ala John Hughes or those great early John Cusack films. Unfortunately it does not live up to the expectation's it set for itself. The only thing 'I Love You, Beth Cooper' has in common with its 80's roots is Mr. Cooverman is played by Alan Ruck (Cameron in 'Ferris Bueller'). Not to say all is lost as the movie does have it's moments....there just isn't enough of them! The premise had lots of potential- Geek who has been in love with 'Beth Cooper' since grade school finally gets the nerve to tell her...in front of his whole graduating class during his valedictorian speech. The rest of the movie takes place in the evening to morning after the graduation, unfortunately none of it lives up to how it started out of the gate. Beth and her 2 girlfriends (aka "the trinity") show up at denis's "party" (just denis and his best friend) and the night of adventure begins. I was excited to see it was directed by Chris Columbus (Harry Potter 1&2, Home Alone and Rent), and had my favorite cheerleader, Hayden Panettiere as Beth Cooper. She was not really interesting or lively and was outshined by newcomer Paul Rust as Denis Cooverman. Location to location, the villains, Beth Coopers marine boyfriend and his cronies keep showing up only to be let our hero escape by the skin of his teeth or to be outsmarted....over and over. It got boring real quick and they were not that threatening at all! There were not enough jokes that worked and the 'deep' conversations failed on every level. I was expecting more having heard really good things about the book but this movie just didn't fire on all cylinders.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 for crude and sexual content, language, teen drinking and drug references, and brief violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945d=1210373696

I love you Beth Cooper comes to Bluray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps

The good- colors and skin tones were natural and looked very nice on my display, they were not over or under saturated. The shadow detail and black levels were above average, at times there was a nice depth to the picture. The bad- at times it was not as sharp as some of the better encodes I have been seeing lately and it looked a bit compressed. It is still nice step up from SDDVD but nothing that knocked my socks off.

The DTS-HD track was also not the pick of the litter. It was not offensive or terrible but it did seem to manifest my biggest pet peeve...it was almost too dynamic for its own good. I had to crank it to hear the dialogue the way I wanted to then when the music kicked in I had to lower it...over and over. If you listen loud this will not be a bother to you but for me, at normal listening levels it was uncomfortable. The low end was thumping nice when it was called for and every once and a while I really felt the "surround" in surround sound. Again, nothing to write home about.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) We Are All Different, But That's A Good Thing

• (HD) I Love You Larry Doyle

• (HD) Alternate Ending and Deleted Scenes

• Fox Movie Channel Presents In Character With Hayden Panettiere

• Fox Movie Channel Presents In Character With Paul Rust

• Peanut Butter Toast

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

All in all I can confidently say this is a skipper. If the audio and video had wowed me I might have been a little more forgiving of the movie itself. The extras were OK but there were not enough and they were too short (I did prefer the alternate ending!). If you are interested in this move I say go and revisit some classics staring the 'brat pack'. We have seen it all before, trust me...we have seen it much better. If you are in this type of mood check out 'The Sure Thing' or 'Sixteen Candles'!

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this movie when it came out (i was bored and have seen pretty much all of the movie at that time lol) in the theater and thought, what am i doing here? lol

In any case, Lee, would you mind PM'ing me what the alternate ending is/was?

As far as the whole movie itself. I'd skip it.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep, this was a truly AWFUL movie Cheerleader side boob aside.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page