Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, Gary Oldman, Danny Aiello
Written & Directed by: Luc Besson
Music by: Eric Serra
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2009

"No women, no kids"

Film Synopsis:

Jean Reno, Gary Oldman, Natalie Portman and Danny Aiello star in LÉON: THE PROFESSIONAL, a go-for-broke thriller about a professional assassin whose work becomes dangerously personal. Calling himself a "cleaner," the mysterious Léon is New York's top hitman. When his next-door neighbors are murdered, Léon becomes the unwilling guardian of the family's sole survivor - 12-year-old Mathilda. But Mathilda doesn't just want protection; she wants revenge. Training her in the deadly tricks of his trade, Léon helps her track the psychotic agent who murdered her family.

My Take:

Leon is a compelling film about two people thrown together by life changing circumstances who come to share a bond that will unite them in spirit forever. Leon (Reno) is a mafia hit man working for Tony. He came to NYC straight from Italy at 19 years old after avenging the death of the only woman he ever loved by killing the man responsible. He came from a poor background, with little experience in life, or the ways of the big city. Since his arrival he keeps to himself and goes about his work with stealth like and ruthless precision that has earned him a reputation in the underworld. Mathilda (Portman) is a preteen living with her father, four year old brother, teenage step sister and step mother. Her life to this point hasn't been an ideal one as she suffers physical and mental abuse from everyone except her little brother whom she loves dearly. She and Leon live in the same apartment building just doors apart and often exchange looks or casual banter but nothing more. Her father is in cahoots with a group of crooked DEA agents whom he holds illicit drugs for. When some of the drugs come up missing Stansfield (Oldman), the head of the DEA squad, comes calling while Mathilda is out at the grocery store. Stansfield and his men murder the entire family which accidentally included her brother who was hiding under a bed. Being the streetwise 12 year old she is, upon her return she sees the mayhem from the hallway and goes to Leon's apartment pretending that she lives there. He reluctantly lets her in saving her from the fate of her family. This begins their association as Leon now has his structured seemingly quiet life turned upside down by a preteen adolescent hell bent on retribution. What neither of them is prepared for is the escalation of their relationship after Mathilda coerces Leon into instructing her in the art of cleaning. The difference in their ages not withstanding Leon and Mathilda differ little in terms of their emotional maturity. He can be childlike and guileless while she can be wise beyond her years, unscrupulous and undaunted. By the same token they are each capable of any of the aforementioned attributes which makes them a good team. With only limited training Mathilda decides to confront Stansfield on her own. She fails to comprehend the truly cunning, sadistic and frivolous way which Stansfield perceives killing and underestimates him. She gets in over her head and Leon must step from the shadows of the world that has kept him known only through whispers and legend in order to save her.

I have loved this film since the first time I saw it on DVD. It is so much more than just a story about a hit man that helps a little girl seek revenge on those responsible for the death of her family. It's a romance that eschews the standardized meaning that we commonly associate with that word. It doesn't do this in a way that feels dirty or inappropriate in my opinion. It depicts two people that share a common experience which draws them together on an emotional level that satisfies their need to truly care for someone and be truly cared for in return. This transcends the boundaries of age and is solidified by a shared purpose that will inevitability be their undoing. The performances by Jean Reno, young Natalie Portman (in her film debut), and Gary Oldman make for a thoroughly engrossing film. To watch Gary Oldman is to love him because he is simply amazing. This film made me a permanent Jean Reno fan. He and Natalie Portman share wonderful onscreen chemistry which helped enliven their characters making it easy to care about them. I have seen it a half dozen times and it never loses it luster. Writer/director Luc Besson absolutely nails it with superb pacing, creative direction, and an engaging story that is replete in its ability to elicit emotive audience reaction that is further augmented by brief but superlative action and lightly veiled humor. I prefer the extended version versus the U.S. theatrical release (Sony has included both on this blu-ray disc woo hoo!) as I feel it is more complete and true from a conceptually standpoint. I am thrilled that it has finally made its way onto Blu-ray Disc and a permanent place in my collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for scenes of strong graphic violence, thematic material and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Leon: The professional comes to Blu-ray Disc from Columbia/Sony Pictures featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.5 mbps.

Having owned this film on DVD several times I am pretty familiar with how it looks on home video. Hands down this high definition presentation from Sony presents it in its absolute best light and it looks superb. Images onscreen appear transparent with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. At times I found the visuals, such as the sequence where Leon and Mathilda are on the rooftop overlooking Central Park, to be breath taking. Colors are kept to lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks with occasional use of brighter hues that naturally invigorate the video. The sepia toned colors reveal plenty of subtle delineation. The various shades of gray/light blue have appreciable gradational steps that enhance depth. Skin tones are lustrous, tonally rich and chock full of fine textural nuance Blacks are inky, dynamic and stable. Contrast is bold and punchy which sometimes overdrives whites resulting in loss of detail. There are a handful of instances where resolution falls off just slightly however this appears innate and never infringes upon fidelity. Regardless this is a three dimensional visually rewarding, and near reference video presentation that finds this catalog release title looking better than I have ever seen it.

This is a high bitrate and excellent sounding lossless audio encoding from Sony. I would not describe this as an aggressive sound mix but rather an intuitive one. The mix doesn't overemphasize the elements present in the recording in an attempt enhance the surround experience. I have always appreciated that about this film on DVD and with the higher resolution in this DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack it sounds even better. The result is well balanced and supremely articulate surround sound that has excellent dynamic range and multi-stage imaging. Primarily this is a dialogue driven film however the action based sequences are quite involving as the sounds of atmospheric ambience, sprinkling water, flying bullets, and exploding debris encompass the listening area. Eric Serra's music sounds simply marvelous as its subtle instrumentation flows throughout the soundstage with exacting clarity and smooth tonal influence. Voices are textured and lucid through the center channel. Bass response during the action sequences was not as extended as I anticipated but does support explosions and gunfire with appreciable tactility. What I find to be of note relative to bass response is the rich, room shuttering low end associated with the synthesized LFE and low pitched resonance of the bass drum that accompanies the music. It is used to accentuate intense moments in the film and the effects are excellent as it extends deep with tight, robust and palpable bass that resonates throughout the room. This audio/video presentation represents a clearly definitive improvement over the previous home video releases of this film and comparatively speaking holds its own against some of the better catalog titles I have seen released on Blu-ray.

Bonus Features:

• 10 year retrospective: Cast and crew look back - 25 minutes

• Jean Reno: The road to Leon - 12 minutes

• Natalie Portman: Starting young - 14 minutes

• Fact track (extended version only)- Text based pop-up facts

• (HD) Previews:

1. The DaVinci code extended cut
    2. Close encounters of the third kind
    3. The taking of Pelham 123
    4. Angels and Demons
    5. Felon
    6. 12
    7. District 9
    8. Moon

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=158020&d=1258054753

Final Thoughts:

Leon: the professional is an extraordinary and compelling film that expertly draws us into the world inhabited by Leon and Mathilda. It allows us a fly on the wall perspective that provides both a surface and in depth look at the development of the bond between two lost souls who together come to share important experiences that run deeper than simply a quest for retribution. Jean Reno, Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman bring these characters to life while writer/director Luc Besson masterfully pulls the strings in this wonderfully engaging opus that is a personal favorite. Sony's consistency in the quality of their high definition catalog release titles is among the best and this is no exception. From a technical standpoint this is a superb presentation that easily bests any of the standard definition renditions available on home video. The bonus supplements are just average in quantity however I found the three documentaries to be worth watching especially if you're a fan. Bottom line is that this is a highly recommended film that is well worth the price of admission. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks Ralph, I am going to pick this one up asap!
post #3 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never did see this on dvd. After Ralph's review it is now a must have for my blu-ray collection. Thanks, Ralph.
post #4 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
great review AWESOME movie . Go get this one asap
post #5 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Wow - Great review! I'm anxious to view my copy but probably won't be able to until this weekend. This rounds out my top 3 (Luc Besson directed) films including Fifth Element and Nikita. It's good to see he's actively directing once again. Anyone once married to Anne Parillaud and Milla Jovovich is my hero.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Never did see this on dvd. After Ralph's review it is now a must have for my blu-ray collection. Thanks, Ralph.

You are in for a treat. Great movie and definitely one worth owning.
post #7 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
One of my favorites, I'll definitely be adding this to the collection. Thanks for the review.
post #8 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 145
The picture is quite good, but I think you understated the contrast problem that causes serious saturation of whites in many scenes. I wouldn't give it anywhere near 90 for video because of this.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The picture is quite good, but I think you understated the contrast problem that causes serious saturation of whites in many scenes. I wouldn't give it anywhere near 90 for video because of this.

Greetings,

I saw it only in a few instances, primarily in the sunlit sky background. While it is noticeable I didn't feel it negatively impacted the scenes affected. Thanks for offering your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 10:59 AM

This was one of my favorite vhs tapes. I have a ps3 but haven't bothered to watch a blueray on it yet. I think this would be worthy for its maiden voyage. I also forgot that there was an extended version. I have to see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Writer/director Luc Besson absolutely nails it with superb pacing, creative direction, and an engaging story that is replete in its ability to elicit emotive audience reaction that is further augmented by brief but superlative action and lightly veiled humor. I prefer the extended version versus the U.S. theatrical release (Sony has included both on this blu-ray disc woo hoo!) as I feel it is more complete and true from a conceptually standpoint. I am thrilled that it has finally made its way onto Blu-ray Disc and a permanent place in my collection.[img]http://******************************************[/img]

post #11 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Awesome review Ralph, I haven't seen this flick since the summer while tossing out my sd dvd's...Time to revisit this fine film..

djoel
post #12 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Many thanks for a most articulate review. I greatly appreciate the second paragraph of 'My Take'.
Happily looking forward to my copy arriving.
Tony S
post #13 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

Liked: 14
This is also one of the first Sony titles I've noticed that has 96K audio. They've been remastering the audio at 96k for their releases for at least the last year but continued to release the Blu-Rays at 48k. Hopefully this means we can expect more 96k releases in the future.
post #14 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Even before Ralphs review on this movie i knew i had to have it. It's been ages since i've seen this movie and it's just a great well acted story. Well put together action with some drama mix into it. The ending was a "blast"!

Ralph's final thought nailed it! Also glad it received a very high score on both audio and video. This is for sure a collectors item!

Great review Ralph.

Cheers
post #15 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Just ordered this one. I have owned this title on laserdisc & DVD.

I love the line that Oldman yells, "I SAID EVERYONE"

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #16 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune View Post

This is also one of the first Sony titles I've noticed that has 96K audio. They've been remastering the audio at 96k for their releases for at least the last year but continued to release the Blu-Rays at 48k. Hopefully this means we can expect more 96k releases in the future.

Looks like Sony's "Sex, Lies and Video Tape" is 96k as well but Dolby True HD.
post #17 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

Just ordered this one. I have owned this title on laserdisc & DVD.

I love the line that Oldman yells, "I SAID EVERYONE"

Greetings,

It goes something like this:

Stansfield: "Benny, bring me everyone"

Benny: "What do you mean everyone??"

Stansfield: " EVERYONE.....!!!!"

Love that scene as well..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Another great review, Ralph. Awesome movie. I can't wait to watch my new Blu-ray version.

Thanks for all the work and passion you put into your reviews. Yours are consistently the best and most thoughtful reviews around.
post #19 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 View Post

Another great review, Ralph. Awesome movie. I can't wait to watch my new Blu-ray version.

Thanks for all the work and passion you put into your reviews. Yours are consistently the best and most thoughtful reviews around.

Greetings,

Thanks much Will..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 05:02 PM

Man am I lucky I happened to see this on the front page. This is one of my favorite movies and I have about 3 different versions of the DVD, and this will definitely be added ASAP!

Good review also
post #21 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ralph, how would this version compare with the Superbit collection version of this film (the Superbit was also the extended version). I love this movie, but if the upgrade ins't that noticable from the Superbit version, then I'll hold off.

Great review btw and although the extended version was never released theatrically because of the taboo "sleeping in the same bed" scene, I felt after finally watching it, that it was more of a "father" protecting his adopted "daughter" from danger kind of scenario and one that an intelligent adult would be able to handle and should have been released in the theater because it only added to the friendship and tight bond that these two misfits of normal society had with each other.

And although not mentioned in your review, the performance of Danny Aiello was also first rate as Leon's "handler" and one that Danny himself was qoted as saying was one of his favorite characters to play and wished they had used more of him in the film.
post #22 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 15
Ralph would you have any 8idea, how does this compare with German, French and UK releases in toto?
post #23 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Jean Reno is a rare artist in that with each use of limb and posture he conveys both sensitivity and towering strength.

With saying a word, he brings to each role a depth that can only be described as Periclesesque.

Capturing low and high stationed audiences alike, Reno is a rare onscreen presence commanding high and low emotional responses from his fans and critics alike.

The Professional as a film is uniquely designed to display Reno's abilities.

And, as expected of a performer and performance in such a film, the one "flaw" that has the potential to destroy this character is the highest jewel in the crown.

As a long time fan working at I and my compatriots await each and every film in which Reno performs.
post #24 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 07:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Hello Ralph;

Great review of a classic film! You were right on about everything. Natalie Portman, in her first film role, gave the greatest performance by a young person I have ever seen in a movie. Gary Oldman takes tax payer financed insanity to new levels as a crooked DEA agent. You are correct about the extended version being the more complete experiance. It shows that love and humor have no boundries. I have the superbit version and the new Blu-Ray beats it! This film will be special forever. Luc Besson's best!
post #25 of 41 Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Great review for a great film.

This excellent movie and performance sealed Natalie Portman's fate as a star. I thought this long before it became official with her role in Star Wars. Definitely a movie worth the Blu-ray treatment.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #26 of 41 Old 11-19-2009, 12:55 AM

ahh, just read this review again and it is great. this movie is amazing beyond the credit it is given. I told my girlfriend she could get this for me as a christmas present but I am dying to watch it right now!!!
post #27 of 41 Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It goes something like this:

Stansfield: "Benny, bring me everyone"

Benny: "What do you mean everyone??"

Stansfield: " EVERYONE.....!!!!"

Love that scene as well..

Regards,

YES! I can't wait to get this and hear that DTS-MA HD track.

"The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests. And cast out into the cold world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed!"

-Bane

post #28 of 41 Old 11-19-2009, 08:56 AM

I'm just getting around to reading this review and I was wondering what this "Leon" movie was that folks were mentioning on the "deals" thread. I've always known this movie as "The Professional".

IMDB says it was called "Leon" in the UK, "The Professional" in the US and "Leon:The Professional" for the extended home video released in the US in 2000.

Whatever it's called, it's a great film.
post #29 of 41 Old 11-19-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Love this movie.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #30 of 41 Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have never seen the longer cut of this film (I love the american version already). I bought the BluRay on amazon, so I'll be watching it soon. I cant wait!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page