Studio and Year: Universal Studios - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 82 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Spanish/French DTS 5.1, English DTS 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Sacha Baron Cohen, Gustaf Hammarsten
Directed by: Larry Charles
Music by: Erran Baron Cohen
Written by: Sacha Baron Cohen, Anthony Hines, Dan Mazer
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2009

"From the man behind Borat"

Film Synopsis:

In BRUNO, the gay Austrian model of the title brings his antics to the States. Oscar nominee and Golden Globe winner Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat, Da Ali G Show and Talladega Nights) brings you the comedy that has started more conversations, generated more controversy and dared to go further than ever before! As brüno travels the world in search of fame, everyone he encounters- celebrities, politicians, Hasidic Jews, terrorists and cage fighters- becomes a stepping-stone to stardom, with hilarious results!

My Take:

If you are easily offended, very religious, homophobic or closed minded skip Brüno and the rest of this review. I finished the movie with an unsettled feeling and I think that is what Sacha Baron Cohen was going for. I saw Brüno in the theaters this summer and felt let down. Because like most people, I was expecting a Borat 2. My second viewing found many more laughs through the complete mess of immature but smart-as-hell satire. Brüno can be watched like a collection of skits, and it's better that way. Some scenes really are hysterical (the steel cage fight with “Straight Dave”, Paula Abdul’s Chair and the Congressman Ron Paul's interview), others are so outrageous I can't type them here (even though I want to!), and some just miss the funny mark by a mile. What I found difficult to swallow is that these people don't know its Sacha Baron Cohen in character, especially after The Ali G show and the humongous success of Borat. Paula Abdul didn't know? Thankfully there are some great extra features that talk about how they pull off all the interviews and situations and keep it covert to the unsuspecting victim(s). The bottom line is if a movie about a gay "fashionista" from Vienna trying to make it in the USA, mixed with homosexual oriented content, racism, homophobia, sharp satirical wit and social commentary sound like your cup o' tea, (and you got through this run on sentence) then Brüno is for you! Even though hilarious at times, I think it would have played much better as a 55 minute HBO special instead of the 80 minutes that it is.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for pervasive strong and crude sexual content, graphic nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947d=1210373696

Brüno comes to Bluray Disc from Universal featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps

For a movie with many different looks, sources and filming styles, Brüno sure looks good in HD. Yes some scenes suffer from bad lighting and angles, but we must be forgiving as its often shot in an off-the-cuff documentary style. When it shines, it really shines. Skin tones and colors are beautiful, its detailed and sharp, and at time's reference quality. Unfortunately, when they go to the handy cams and video footage, the quality weakens. Regardless, both are faithful to the source material and Brüno is a great transfer. The audio is at times really crisp and in your face; the music is booming and full of lush low end and dynamics. Then there are times its difficult to hear dialogue because they couldn't have a boom mic a foot overhead. When being used, the surrounds were quite dynamic and brought me into the shuffle of the crazy happenings on screen. Just like the video, the audio went back-and-forth between reference quality and pseudo lo-fi.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Extended Scenes

• (HD) Alternative Scenes

• (HD) An Interview with Lloyd Robinson

• (HD) Picture-in-Picture Commentary with Larry Charles and Sacha Baron Cohen

• Digital Copy

• BD-Live enabled

• iPhone POCKET BLU app

attachment.php?attachmentid=158579&d=1258573218

Final Thoughts:

I am going to give my blessing to anyone interested in this release of Brüno. The quality of the audio/video coupled with the great extra features make it a worthwhile Bluray experience. Universal loaded this release with a overdose of really great extras. The Picture in Picture Commentary with Director Larry Charles and Sacha Baron Cohen adds over 20 minutes to the movie and The deleted/extended scenes (over an hour) were better than the feature and that alone makes this release worth adding to your collection. If you have seen it, were not offend but didn't think it was really very funny, I think you might find the second viewing a bit easier to digest and let the laughs out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Lee,

Nice review...like Borat, I couldn't get through this one. Maybe I'm turning into a prude in my old age (no comments from you Ralph!), but his over-the-top behavior is just too much for me to stomach.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 404
I watched this the other night and found it really funny for the most part, but I can certainly see how people could be very turned off by this one and/or offended. This guy is out of control!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 24 Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
He's a comedic genius! Very funny movie but definitely not for the faint of heart.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #5 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I did not like this movie at all. Borat was definitely the better of the two. Bruno had its funny moments, but other than that the movie was not that good. I was highly disappointed. I think we would have been better off with a Borat 2!
post #6 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Greetings,

Nice job Lee.

Dave.....ummm....no comment!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 05:54 AM

Liked: 10
Ah, taking another one for the team. You couldn't pay me to watch this movie. I tried to watch Borat. I just had to turn it off after a while. Some of it was funny but some of the things he does would have ruined his day had he tried that crap with me. I imagine I'll be sat in front of this eventually by one of my friends who thinks it's just the best thing.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
There was an article in our local paper that came out last Spring about the parts of Bruno filmed here in Huntsville (or Madison/Madison Co.). The cops that arrested Bruno said they knew before he even got there that it was Sasha, but they thought he was funny, so they played along.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #9 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 07:40 AM

I think Hollywood has finally stooped to it's lowest with this film. Oh! Wait, excuse me. Did I call this a film? Sorry!
Nice review though. Thank you.

Visit my home page for ideas on your HT project.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I thought this was rather funny and good for a single viewing.

As an aside, I want to see Larry Charles direct a movie that would allow him to truly flex his muscles.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I thought this was rather funny and good for a single viewing.

As an aside, I want to see Larry Charles direct a movie that would allow him to truly flex his muscles.

You should watch the PIP commentary with Sacha and Larry..its really a great one
post #12 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 08:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone know what the Pocket Blu iPhone application does?

Does it just link to more online content?

Cheers,
Tom
post #13 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 08:39 AM

I saw this movie in theaters and have no desire to see it again. I really dont see how it was rated R since there is so much nudity.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM

I didn't like Borat the 1st time I saw it. It was on Cinemax and I only made it through about 30 mins. before turning it off. I was left wondering what all the hype was about and why I didn't get it. I was flipping channels a few days later and it was on again. The scene where he was naked-wrestling his manager was showing and I about fell out my chair laughing. I decided to give it another chance and now I love it.
It sounds like Bruno is eliciting the same response upon first viewing. I tend to not like movies with flamboyantly gay characters so I think I'll just wait for it to come on one of the movie channels.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Lee,

Nice review...like Borat, I couldn't get through this one. Maybe I'm turning into a prude in my old age (no comments from you Ralph!), but his over-the-top behavior is just too much for me to stomach.

I'm with Dave on this one? The first one (Borat) i was able to handle but after seeing the trailer on this one it's a total pass for me.

Skip it.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 PM

I didn't see Borat, but I like some clips of da ali g show. I get his point, but I'm not sure his style is really for me.
post #17 of 24 Old 11-20-2009, 02:45 PM

he's brilliant in all his characters. each one he plays to a T, and bruno is no different. some scenes as others have said, can be disturbing. but what's really disturbing is the responses his behavior elicits. imo, i think that is what should be the controversy.

just 1 example. the mother being interviewed for her child to appear in a magainze or something along those lines....that's definitely worse than watching sasha run naked for 30 minutes

good review and glad you didnt give it the automatic 'no thanks'

ps3- pdp7 ### avs folding team- 55280
post #18 of 24 Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 AM

Liked: 17
Borat > Bruno. HIGH FIVE!!!

post #19 of 24 Old 11-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
sasha sure plays it good but just the beginning i was laughing at times, and then it fizzled quickly
overall for me = long & boring & not funny.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-21-2009, 09:43 PM

I think the reason Brüno fails to captivate like Borat does, is because it is hard to connect with him and the "story" is a mess. We don't really care about these characters, and they don't change in any meaningful way over the course of the film.

He is a "gay stereotype," mean spirited, and generally unpleasant with no real light-hearted comical edge to offset it. This perhaps may not have been an issue if they had written a better story, but there isn't. There are many scenes that are out of context and have no function in furthering the plot or character development. The "story" is almost non-existent. The whole film feels disjointed.

Borat had enjoyable characters even though they are crass and stupid, as well as a fun minimal story arc as he went around modern America getting into trouble.

Brüno is essentially political and social commentary in a random Jackass style, but not as interesting in execution.

The film was by no means boring for me though. The hour and half went by quickly.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

funny for the most part, but[img]http://******************************************[/img] I can certainly see how people could be very turned off by this one and/or offended. This guy is out of control!

This has been my impression of Sacha's body of work.
post #22 of 24 Old 11-23-2009, 05:56 PM

This movie is literally the gayest movie you will ever see.
post #23 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcowden View Post

Anyone know what the Pocket Blu iPhone application does?
Cheers,
Tom

pocket BLU for iPhone Description
Blu-ray just got a whole lot better! Introducing 'pocket BLU', the perfect utility application to compliment your Blu-ray movie watching experience. Use it on the upcoming pocket BLU enabled Blu-ray releases of Bruno, Inglourious Basterds, and Funny People.

pocket BLU works seamlessly with your network connected Blu-ray player over Wi-Fi, and offers the following nifty components:
- A remote control that operates all on disc features (Playback, Hierarchical menus, Chat, Registration, and Color Key functionalities).
- A graphical timeline that appears when the device is held in landscape mode, allowing users to instantly access any point in the movie.
- A cross studio content listing of available Blu-ray titles where all available bonus content (Featurettes, Deleted Scenes, Short films, etc,) can be streamed or saved to the device for later viewing.
- A pop up keyboard that makes all on disc data entry easy and intuitive.
All bonus content from the Blu-ray disc can be streamed to your device over the Internet. Access the content wherever you find a Wi-Fi signal.
Make sure the Blu-ray disc you wish to purchase is pocket BLU' enabled or your application will not be able to connect.

Requirements:
- A (2.0) Blu-ray player connected to the Internet over Wi-Fi.
- An iPhone or iPod Touch running OS 2.2.1 or above connected to the player over the same Wi-Fi network.
- The pocket BLU application installed on your device.
- A pocket BLU enabled Blu-ray disc.

Watch for exciting new features in upcoming releases! There's a lot in store for pocket BLU!
post #24 of 24 Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I honestly don't think people give SBC enough credit for the genius of his comedy. With Borat, Bruno, and even Ali G, he creates situations where the comedy is less about him and more about those reacting to him. What he does is hold a mirror up to society ( a really crazy looking mirror!) and what we see are unrehearsed (for the most part), on the spot, stripped down reactions from the people he interacts with.

Sure, bits like the wrestling-on-the-bed scene with his hairy, overweight manager were really funny, and I laughed my butt off. But the funniest parts for me are the ones where people are put in a position to react to him...the expression on the senator's face when he says "from her teet"....the guy running like a madman through the streets because a foreigner wants to say hello...the way the dinner party guests treat him as if he's special while trying to maintain their "etiquette"....this is great stuff! But the star of the show is not Borat or Bruno....it's US!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page