It's always sunny in Philadelphia: A very sunny Christmas (Blu-ray) Official Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 686
attachment.php?attachmentid=158770&d=1258756115
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109940&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 43 minutes
Genre: TV/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/60

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Danny DeVito, Charlie Day, Kaitlin Olsen, Glenn Howerton, Rob McElhenney
Directed by: Fred Savage
Music by: Cormac Bluestone
Written by: Glenn Howerton & Rob McElhenney
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2009

"It's Seinfeld on crack!"

Film Synopsis:

Ho, ho, heyooo! Christmas is upon us and the Paddy's gang has got the spirit. Well, not really. For them, the holidays have always been a time of trickery, backstabbing, and disappointment. But this year things are going to be different as they are determined to rediscover the joy in Christmas. Join Mac, Charlie, Dennis, Dee and Frank as they embark on a holiday adventure filled with stolen toys, childhood videos, naked elves, and a bloody run in with Santa Claus that is guaranteed to blast Christmas spirit all over you!

My Take:

We regularly watch It's always sunny in Philadelphia and get a kick out of the nonsensical escapism provided by Mac, Dennis, Charlie, Dee and Frank. We looked forward to this A very sunny Christmas and figured it would be more of the same and of course it was. This extended Christmas themed episode finds Dee and Dennis at odds with Frank over his treatment of them at Christmas time. This goes back to when they were kids where he would taunt them with empty boxes and presents that they wanted but didn't get. We also get a glimpse of Mac and Charlie's dysfunctional yuletide upbringings and their ludicrous familial interpretations. There are flashbacks to Mac and Charlie when they were young as well as claymation equivalents of the It's sunny characters commingled with references to classic Christmas TV special characters. It is typically silly, ridiculous, over the top and riotous, especially worthy of note is the scene involving Frank and the couch and Charlie versus the shopping mall Santa. There is fun to had by all especially if you're a fan that enjoys the show's risqué humor.

Parental Guide:

This episode contains graphic language, partial nudity and thematic material that would be inappropriate for younger audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 60

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 58

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

It's always sunny in Philadelphia: A very sunny Christmas comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

Watching the series on FX HD it never looks very good in high definition and from what I see here it looks very much the same. Quite frankly I am not certain why Fox released this on Blu-ray disc since this presentation isn't true 1080p but is upconverted standard definition. The image was generally soft and lacking in resolute definition and sharpness. Colors were not particularly vibrant and appeared a tad faded. Skintones were fairly delineated with complexions that were on the pale side. Blacks were not very deep and detail in low level scenes appeared crushed at times. There are a variety of noticeable video related artifacts such as aliasing and digital noise that creep into the video from time to time. Overall this presentation is flat, lackluster and far from anything that resembles high definition. The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless soundtrack didn't fair much better. Dialogue was intelligible with fair intonation and vocal distinction among the cast. The soundstage across the front three channels felt compressed and lacking in room penetration. Dynamics were on the anemic side and the lack of low frequency support was notable. The surround channels were used to convey some sound effects and mild ambience but the gap between the front and rear sound fields didn't create a very cohesive atmosphere. Overall a pretty unremarkable audio presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Producers Blu-ray introduction

• Young Charlie & young Mac - deleted scenes (3)

• Behind the scenes - 7 minute making of featurette

• Sunny sing along

Final Thoughts:

It's always sunny in Philadelphia: A very sunny Christmas continues in the series tradition of outlandish and over the top comedy that may be lewd and crude but is a hoot nevertheless. Unfortunately this Blu-ray Disc presentation from Fox misses the mark and offers little in the way of sparkling high definition audio/video or comprehensive bonus content. Even though the quality won't impress this may still make a good stocking stuffer for the fan on your Christmas list. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're a little late with this one, I already bought it!

They even have a short feature explaining that the film is up converted because it was not shot in HD. Then why did they put it out on blu ray?
post #3 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post

You're a little late with this one, I already bought it!

They even have a short feature explaining that the film is up converted because it was not shot in HD. Then why did they put it out on blu ray?

im in the same boat
post #4 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 PM

so does this really look no better then DVD?

PSN I.D - Nas2344
Blurays - 102
PS3 Games - 25
post #5 of 13 Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Here's a tidbit-
Director Fred Savage is the kid from The Wonder Years ;P
post #6 of 13 Old 11-21-2009, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Big fan of the show, rented dvd - good but not the best they have done. Will wait till after xmas and buy the dvd cheap
post #7 of 13 Old 11-21-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This will be sticking out of my stocking come x-mas.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was really curious about this as I knew season 5 was not in HD, they just moved to widescreen. Also for essentially 2 episodes worth of length it seems kind of pricey, I don't know why they felt the need to release this as a separate disc instead of just showing it with the rest of season 5 and then releasing it on DVD when that came out.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-21-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post

They even have a short feature explaining that the film is up converted because it was not shot in HD. Then why did they put it out on blu ray?[img]http://serv4.********************/images/21.jpg[/img]

Good point. Seems like a waste if it can't take advantage of the full hd potential.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas2344 View Post

so does this really look no better then DVD?

Correct. They claim that it is upconverted to 1080p but placing a DVD into a blu ray player will do the same thing. It looked no better than the Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia seasons on DVD.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-23-2009, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
One has to wonder why this was even released on Blu-ray. I would imagine that since this is upconverted standard definition material that the DVD would look the same or pretty darn close. There should be a sticker on the Blu-ray that says something about how this is upconverted standard definition. Whoever buys this will be extremely disappointed and will be left feeling cheated.
post #12 of 13 Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Final Thoughts:

It's always sunny in Philadelphia: A very sunny Christmas continues in the series tradition of outlandish and over the top comedy that may be lewd and crude but is a hoot nevertheless. Unfortunately this Blu-ray Disc presentation from Fox misses the mark and offers little in the way of sparkling high definition audio/video or comprehensive bonus content.

This is what makes this a hilarious TV show. Me personally i don't find it to be lewd and crude. It's just too damn funny.

Too bad it only received a score of 59 which is understandable if it wasn't shot in HD. Is it worth the BD buy or just get it in regular DVD? HHmmm...
post #13 of 13 Old 11-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

One has to wonder why this was even released on Blu-ray. I would imagine that since this is upconverted standard definition material that the DVD would look the same or pretty darn close. There should be a sticker on the Blu-ray that says something about how this is upconverted standard definition. Whoever buys this will be extremely disappointed and will be left feeling cheated.

That's probably a bit extreme. I think most people who watch Sunny don't do so for its sparkling image quality. It is a little sleezy to market it as HD when its really just upconverted SD though...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page