Feature running time: 109 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French
Starring: Abigail Breslin, Cameron Diaz, Jason Patric, Alec Baldwin, Emily Deschanel
Directed by: Nick Cassavetes
Music by: Aaron Zigman
Written by: Based on a Novel by Jodi Picoult, Screenplay by Jeremy Leven and Nick Cassavetes
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 17, 2009

"What keeps a family together?"

Film Synopsis:

Nick Cassavetes, the director of The Notebook, again demonstrates his sure hand with tales of deep human emotion in this inspiring film about a loving family challenged — and united – by a child’s illness. Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin and others in an exceptional cast bring sensitivity to the story of an 11-year-old girl, conceived to be a donor for her leukemia-stricken sister, and who finally demands the right to control her own body.

My Take:

Not being a fan of the (pay attention IMDB) "Make me cry 'til it hurts" genre, I found My Sister's Keeper to be an exception to the rule. There is much more story here than was billed. Between the daughter with leukemia, the other daughter used as a donor, the parents' conflict(s), the court case, a surprising love affair...this movie just doesn't give us a moment to wipe our face or catch our breath. I was impressed how every move the characters made affected the interpersonal dynamics the family has, not only between each other but the outside world. I asked myself many times, "what would I do?" and regardless on whether or not I agreed with the decisions that were made on screen, I completely understood them. The only issue I could find here was feeling a bit used as I began to feel like their goal was to make the audience cry over all else. Director and Screenwriter Nick Cassavetes (The Notebook) was in complete control here, pulling off every move he wanted to make. The cast was perfect, but none more than the 2 girls played by Abigail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine) and Sofia Vassilieva (Medium). They stole the show and it was impressive that they were able to take their characters as far as they did. Cameron Diaz was convincing as the frantic mother, trying anything and everything to save her dying daughter. Jason Patric was flawless as the comfortably numb father and Alec Baldwin deserves honorable mention for nailing the part of the slimy, yet caring attorney. This movie had control over my emotions and got the response it was aiming for, and for that I can safely say one of the top's on its genre. Give it a shot, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 for mature thematic content, some disturbing images, sensuality, language and brief teen drinking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946d=1210373696

My Sister's Keeper comes to Bluray Disc from Warner Bros. featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless Dolby True HD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.5 mbps

This is a healthy Hi-def release who's audio and video are quite lulling. The colors and skin-tones are a bit over-saturated but not in a ugly or unnatural way, more in a dreamy, calming way. Shadow detail and black levels both looked very nice on my display. My only criticism is the softness to the image. I suspect that was the filmmakers' intent, but I was not sure. The audio might have received reference marks if it was a different movie, but My Sister's Keeper didn't need to ask much its soundtrack. The dialogue and clarity for a quiet and moody sound-scape was spot-on, and the limited times it had to flex its muscles were dynamic and used to really complement the emotions on screen. I think you would be hard pressed to find any major flaws in this release.

CIH notes: Subtitles and the top menu are not CIH safe.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) From Picoult to Screen: Documentary

• Deleted Scenes

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

This Warner Bros. Bluray has wonderful audio and video but less than average extra features. I don't think this is a re-watch type of film, mainly because its not fun experience. If you want to be played like a violin and cry on call every 10 minutes, buy 2 copies!! I did appreciate how well crafted the movie was, from writing to directing and really to the phenomenal child actors. If a well executed (even with the main goal of trying to make you cry over and over) human experience is your type of story then this is top tier. I can safely say its worth a watch but I am not too sure about a buy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
just bought it for the wife...seriously....like 10 minutes ago
post #3 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Greetings,

Thanks Lee. Definitely not a feel good movie...

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched this movie on a 7 inch video screen while flying from Chicago to Istanbul. I am embarased to say it, but the flight attendant had to ask me if was Ok. tears floweth. Good movie!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw this in the theatres and was intrigued by the story and thought i'd check it out. Boy was i in for a surprise.

As what Lee and Ralph have already said this movie is a tear jerker. So make sure you've got your tissues handy when you start to weep. Thought the story was great and all but it's just a very sad movie. Kind of reminded me of The Passion of Christ. If you're looking for a tear jerker movie this would be it.

Collect or Skip? You decide.

Cheers
post #6 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi,

I agree with the video and audio ratings, but not that really about the movie...
My wife had this book, and I believe the movie was very poorly adapted from the book..
The Director wanted in some parts to be identical to the book, but in others it went all over the place.. Alec Baldwin's role was far more important in the book than in the movie itself. Cameron Diaz's role felt short compare to what it is in the book..
Finally, the end of the movie is very different than the one in the book, which changes completely the story...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #7 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
yeah, i don't understand why someone would adapt a book and then completely change the ending. if you don't like the book's ending, just write an original (if similar) screenplay to direct.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Hi,

I agree with the video and audio ratings, but not that really about the movie...
My wife had this book, and I believe the movie was very poorly adapted from the book..
The Director wanted in some parts to be identical to the book, but in others it went all over the place.. Alec Baldwin's role was far more important in the book than in the movie itself. Cameron Diaz's role felt short compare to what it is in the book..
Finally, the end of the movie is very different than the one in the book, which changes completely the story...

I did not read the book. And as they always say, the book is better than the movie...

I sent you a PM as I want to know the books ending
post #9 of 12 Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM

Hmmm think I will download this one and keep my money for some more classics ('30-'60) and/or cheaper blurays with more extra's.
Looking forward though to seeing a more serious Cameron Diaz movie. I like her. She's sparkly.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Saw this one last night. Pretty good flick. All the actors did a great job and the story had some real world implications with "designer babies" a real possibility.

Not much rewatch potential from my perspective, buy decent pq and storyline.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm not a[img]http://******************************************[/img] huge fan of total tearjerkers.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-01-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by skattle91 View Post

I would go for collection. Nice movie which touches your heart atleast it did for me.

I am awaiting my all time favorite tear jerker, Inside Moves to get a fair treatment. I would love to see it in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespd View Post

Thanks for the review. I'm not a[img]http://******************************************[/img] huge fan of total tearjerkers.

This movie is the definition of "total tearjerker".
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page