Studio and Year: Universal - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 153 minutes
Genre: Drama/War

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1, French/Spanish DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Michael Fassbender, Diane Kruger, Melanie Laurent, Eli Roth, Daniel Bruhl, Rod Taylor, Mike Myers, August Diehl, Julie Dreyfus
Written & Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 15, 2009

"Once upon a time in Nazi occupied France…"

Film Synopsis:

In German-occupied France, Shoshanna Dreyfus (Melanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand the Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Christoph Waltz). Shoshanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema. Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Diane Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shoshanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own…

My Take:

Lee and I collaborated on this review. He handled the film rating, “My Take” and film wrap portions of the “Final Thoughts” while I handled the technical aspects, bonus features rating and disc wrap portion of the “Final Thoughts”. Here are Lee’s comments:

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction had a huge impact on me when I was first getting into cinema and they helped start my lifelong love of film. Jackie Brown came out and left me underwhelmed. The Kill Bill’s were both fun and fit the Quentin Tarantino canon, but did not give me that “need to see it again ASAP” feeling of his first two efforts (they have since grown on me with multiple viewings). Maybe I had become a Tarantino skeptic, especially after the self-indulgent and boring Death Proof, so I strangely skipped Inglourious Basterds during its theatrical run. Man I am glad I have a sweet home theater set-up as I would have been knocking myself seeing it for the first time on a small screen! The cinematography was dense and colorful, absolutely eye candy for me. I went into this knowing the general plot of a group of Jewish Americans that are sent to France to kill, scalp and put the fear of god into the Nazi’s. Boy was I surprised when that was just was part of the story’s scope. Basterds is broken down into 5 chapters each having its own star and focal point, making great use of its ensemble cast. Brad Pitt as Lt. Aldo Raine was hysterical as the leader of the “basterds” with his wonderfully overdone southern drawl. French Actress Mélanie Laurent had me captivated as Shosanna Dreyfus, the owner of a French cinema. I can’t wait to see more of her! However, it was Christoph Waltz as the Nazi Col. Hans Landa who absolutely stole the show. He won the Best Actor Award at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival and should be a shoe-in for a best actor nomination. Basterds has a way of balancing pseudo-goofy camp and a serious tone that shows what craft and control Tarantino has. More impressive is he can do all that without mocking its very delicate subject matter. Seriously, it’s a fictitious story about A Nazi Jew hunter as well as a Special-Op group of American Jew’s sneaking about butchering Nazi’s, crazy! I can’t wait to watch Inglourious Basterds again and I am very happy to have this one in my collection. If you are a Tarantino fan, this one offers what I consider to be some of his best dialogue and scenes. The basement Bar and the Italian accent scenes are worthy of admission alone. Mr. Tarantino, well done sir! I only wish World War II ended the way you wrote it and if you don’t mind I am going to end my review quoting your screenplay and say, “That’s a Bingo.”

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong graphic violence, language, and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Inglourious Basterds comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 mbps.

This is a superb looking high quality Blu-ray offering from Universal that appears faithful to the film’s theatrical presentation. The video is razor sharp with a slightly edgy but otherwise pristine quality that is visually engaging. Detail perception is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine rendering throughout. Colors are lavish and eye popping with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing. Flesh tones are tonally natural with appreciable delineation among the varied complexional types in the cast. Strong contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is discerning which allows textures in low lighting and dark backgrounds, such as the wide angle shot of the evening scene that takes place on the street outside of the cinema between Shosannah and Frederick to be noticeable. As Frederick walks away the shapes of the buildings and objects on the street behind him are clearly visible as the glow cast by the cinema’s marquee lights trails off. On occasion the nature of the photography softens some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity remains intact. From what I could see there are no compression related video artifacts, or noise present in this whistle clean high definition video transfer that is sure to please even demanding videophiles.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack features frequent use of the entire surround platform which occasionally bombards the listening position with activity that is intricately placed within the sound field so as to provide a feeling of total immersion. This is a highly detailed presentation that has excellent dynamic potential which enables it to be bombastic at one moment and intricately nuanced the next. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within soundstage. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Front channel separation is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. In chapter two listen to the sound of the ax as Pierre LaPadite repeatedly strikes the log. The ax’s resonating metallic tone between each strike is clearly audible and realistically reproduced. There isn’t perpetual use of the rear channels and subwoofer however when applied the effects are totally involving and surreal. Several of the active sequences such as the bar shootout, and the freeing of Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz take place in close quarters. Focus and imaging are on point as the blossoming gunfire ebbs and flows through all channels while remaining crystal clear with excellent proportional spacing within the acoustic environment. This is also the case throughout the course of the film as the various venues and locations are aurally replicated with stark realism. Dynamic range is extended and robust which enriches the deep, authoritative and room shaking low frequency effects contained in the mix. This includes the bombast and mayhem that takes place in the theater during the finale. This is indeed a reference quality presentation due to the superb elements that comprise the total sum of its parts.

* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area *.

Bonus Features:

• Live streaming Universal Studio news loop - visible on main menu

• (HD) 3 Extended & Alternate scenes - 2 extended, 1 alternate

• Nation’s pride - Full feature (film within a film) - 6 minutes

• (HD) Roundtable discussion with Brad Pitt and Quentin Tarantino hosted by Elvis Mitchell - 30 minutes

• (HD) The making of Nation’s pride - 4 minute faux documentary

• The original Inglorious Bastards - 7 minute featurette

• (HD) A conversation with Rod Taylor - 6 minutes

• (HD) Rod Taylor on Victoria Bitter - 3 minutes

• Quentin Tarantino‘s camera angle - 2 minutes

• Hi Sally - 2 minute gag reel

• Film poster gallery tour with Elvis Mitchell - 11 minutes

• Killin‘ Nazi‘s trivia challenge - interactive feature

• Inglourious Basterds poster gallery

• (HD) Trailers - 4 total

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live enabled

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Pocket Blu - App for iPOD/iPHONE

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Lee’s wrap: A widely entertaining and daring re-imagining of the events leading to the end of World War II, Inglourious Basterds might just be my favorite Quentin Tarantino film yet. It has all his essentials; the witty non-stop banter, off the wall violence and real thought behind every frame. Mixing” spaghetti western” cliché’s with the World War II "macaroni combat" genre (The Dirty Dozen and similar in title only, 1977’s The Inglorious Bastards), it is nothing but a completely original piece.

Ralph‘s wrap: Inglourious Basterds comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios featuring excellent reference quality audio/video and a fun but less than comprehensive set of bonus supplements that I found to be a little disappointing in its coverage of the production. Regardless, this is must have for Tarantino fans and is deserving of consideration for placement in the collection of every serious film enthusiast.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Watching this in the theater run, all I kept on thinking was man Quintin is a true scrip master that still had a well written full feature in him...I Was just amazing by the level, and throw back feel this fine film has, shot after shot each scene was just breathtaking, right from the opening, and cabin scene, calculating dialogue with purpose..

I must own this blu ray...Thank Ralph and Lee for a wonderful review and thoughts

DJoel
post #3 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
How the hell do you guys get these blu rays so soon before they are even out?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #4 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is my most anticipated release of the year...it was very hard for me to not go see it in theaters, so I can't wait!
I didn't read the review above nor any responses because I dont want anything spoiled.
Hope my hopes aren't too high...
post #5 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Liked: 31
Think I'll give it a spin...got a few to pick up .
post #6 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
when is the pulp fiction blu ray coming out?
post #7 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

How the hell do you guys get these blu rays so soon before they are even out?

We form relationships with the studios and the PR agencies and get the movies sent to us up to 3 weeks before street date (except FOX, who gives them to us the Monday before release if we're lucky). It's so we can write a review and get the general public interested in buying them Consider it cheap advertising for the studios because they don't pay us a dime.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #8 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Great review guys. Plan on watching this tonight.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #9 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Great review guys. Plan on watching this tonight.

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I look forward to hearing your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

I'm a Tarantino fan. Loved Basterds. I have to disagree with you Ralph about Jackie Brown. Loved it too.
post #11 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post

I'm a Tarantino fan. Loved Basterds. I have to disagree with you Ralph about Jackie Brown. Loved it too.

Greetings,

I am a Jackie Brown fan as well. Take note that those comments were Lee's not mine...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiew View Post

Agree, it's one of my favorite QT movies even thou it was an adaptation he really put his hand all over it...That scene when they are just sitting around, smokin, watchin ladies in bikinis shooting guns was genius

Too bad someone permanently borrowed my copy and left me with just the case and the extras dvd behind

DJoel
post #13 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Watched this on Blu last night as well. Great flick! Didn't feel anywhere near as long as it actually was (2.5 hours). Great picture and wonderful sound. Must own for any Tarantino fan.

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #14 of 96 Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I am a Jackie Brown fan as well. Take note that those comments were Lee's not mine...

Regards,

I am going to watch Jackie Brown again this week, its been may years since I last saw it. Maybe I am mature enough for it now?
post #15 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I never got around to seeing this one in the theater, either. Thanks for the review, since I'm really looking forward to it now.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #16 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Ralph or anyone with a copy of the BR, are the subtitles within the image or the letterboxing (or both)?

Thanks
Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #17 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
As what most have said it's a must(collect) for Tarantino fans.

Saw it in theatres and sure enough it had that Tarantino feel to it. There were a few scenes that left really laughing and the scalping part well i won't even go there. lol

Thought the overall execution of the film was great!

Collect!
post #18 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Ralph or anyone with a copy of the BR, are the subtitles within the image or the letterboxing (or both)?

Thanks
Ron

Greetings,

Arrghh! Meant to include that in my review! Thanks for the reminder Ron..

Subs are within the picture area.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Thanks Ralph...I was banking on that after seeing some of the screen caps members have posted. Thanks for the confirmation!!

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #20 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Great review, it made me want to get this movie even more.
post #21 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Thanks for another great review! Can't wait to get my steelbook copy of this one *drool

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #22 of 96 Old 12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Another great review, I thought this movie was fantastic and during the theatrical run, I was able to spot the one and only scene that Quintin appeared in during this very lengthy movie (you blink and you miss it). I havent had this much fun watching a war movie since I saw "Kelly's Heroes" as a youngin. Quintin is a master story teller and although he follows a certain theme to all his movies and all of his movies tie together in one way or another (by character or story telling) this is one of his most original and entertaining in a long while.

Superb acting by all and am surprised this movie has not garnered more positive attention than it has considering how great the story and acting are compared with the rest of the Hollywood schlub out there today.
post #23 of 96 Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I Missed Rod Taylor as Winston Churchill and I was Looking for Him.
post #24 of 96 Old 12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 47
'Jackie Brown' is one of Tarantino's best, due in large part to two characters: Pam Grier's & Robert Forster's. Their interplay is a class act.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #25 of 96 Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Great review! Mr. Tarantino is still one of my favorite movie makers. His ability to make useless dialog interesting within a movie is unmatched. I actually look forward to that aspect of his films more so than the action sequences, which are top notch as well. Inglourious Basterds was a great film to watch in the theater, and I know it will be even better on blu-ray. The cast was great and the characters they portrayed were memorable.

If you haven't seen this film by now, you definitely owe it to yourself to watch it at least once.
post #26 of 96 Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looking foward to this movie especially after reading all the positive remarks...
(Released here hopefully monday )..

Cheers...
post #27 of 96 Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

Did you like True Romance?
post #28 of 96 Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

Did you like True Romance?

Greetings,

I haven't seen it..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 96 Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings,

I haven't seen it..

Regards,

Well, it's out on Blu Ray and it's truly my favorite Tarantino film. The all star cast is amazing.

Christain Slater

Patricia Arquette

Gary Oldman

Samual Jackson

Christopher Walken

Dennis Hopper

James Gandolfini

Bradd Pitt

Chris Penn

Tom Sizemore

Bronson Pinchot

Michael Rappaport

I think that's everyone.
post #30 of 96 Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

Well, it's out on Blu Ray and it's truly my favorite Tarantino film. The all star cast is amazing.

Christain Slater

Patricia Arquette

Gary Oldman

Samual Jackson

Christopher Walken

Dennis Hopper

James Gandolfini

Bradd Pitt

Chris Penn

Tom Sizemore

Bronson Pinchot

Michael Rappaport

I think that's everyone.

Greetings,

Will have to give it a spin (when time permits!)

Thanks.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Inglourious Basterds Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Inglourious by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page