Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Robin Williams, Alexie Gilmore, Daryl Sabara, Henry Simmons
Written & Directed by: Bobcat Goldthwait
Music by: Gerald Brunskill
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 8, 2009

"Lance Clayton is about to get everything he deserves"

Film Synopsis:

Robin Williams stars as Lance Clayton, a man who has learned to settle. He dreamed of being a rich and famous writer, but has only managed to make it as an unpopular high school poetry teacher. His only son Kyle (Daryl Sabara) is an insufferable jackass who won't give his father the time of day. He is dating Claire (Alexie Gilmore), the school's adorable art teacher, but she doesn't want to get serious, or even acknowledge publicly that they are dating. Then, in the wake of a freak accident, Lance suffers the worst tragedy and greatest opportunity of his life. He is suddenly faced with the possibility of all the fame, fortune and popularity he ever dreamed of, if he can only live with the knowledge of how he got there.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160348&d=1260383128

World's greatest dad is a thoughtful but outrageous comedy about a man that learns the things you want most may not be the things that make you happy, and that being lonely is not necessarily the same as being alone. This is a darkly comedic and openly expressive film about self examination (in more ways than one) and the pitfalls poor parenting, insecurity, and deceitfulness. I must admit that there were some truly laugh out loud moments in this film. Describing Kyle as an insufferable jackass probably doesn't do justice to his abhorrently loutish behavior. On the other hand his behavior and interaction with those around him, particularly his father, is exactly what provides the most interest. After the opening act the story takes a decidedly abrupt turn which spins it off in an entirely new direction. The focus shifts to Lance and his need for fulfillment which leads to ridiculous and improbable scenarios that result in complications for him. Things change from oddly dark and humorous to impractically strange and even more inappropriate. The comedic flow that was established early on is disrupted and the outcome is a film that flounders but isn't without merit thanks to its rather offbeat script and lead performance by Robin Williams. He is a favorite of mine and his timing and delivery here are right on the money. Later in the film it was harder to gauge his performance as the script delved deeper in the abyss but with him it's all good. Daryl Sabara is credible in the role of the repugnant and thoroughly unlikable Kyle and I appreciated the purposefully solemn/withdrawn but meaningful turn by Evan Martin as Andrew. Quite honestly the jury is still out for me on this one. There were things about the film I liked but others that left me wanting. This isn't a film for younger audiences as it is overtly direct both in dialogue and theme which some viewers may find objectionable. I will rate is accordingly and give it another spin in the future to see if a second viewing bears new fruit.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, crude and sexual content, some drug use and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=160347&d=1260383128

World's greatest Dad comes to Blu-ray Disc from Magnolia featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 17 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3 mbps.

A variety of colors are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the mood of the scene and characters within it. Colors can vary from being sullen and inanimate to breathtakingly vivid with warm vitality. Skin tones looked wonderful with natural tonality and descriptive variation. Images onscreen were exquisitely detailed and sharp with superb depth of field and visible structure. This was regardless of perspective. Contrast was strong and blacks were deep with revealing delineation that provided excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. The video had a clean, pristine quality that enhanced dimensionality and provided a looking through a window effect.

The lossless audio soundtrack capably delivered the elements within the recording and sounding fine. High level detail provided plenty of depth and audible texture to voices. Subtle background sounds within the soundfield were clearly audible. Being a film driven predominantly by dialogue didn't afford this mix a lot of opportunities for active surround sound. Its use was primarily to create ambient environmental sounds and provide more envelopment for the music score. The subwoofer added sporadic low frequency effects which lent weight to the music featured in the film.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with writer/director Bobcat Goldthwait

• Behind the scenes - 18 minute featurette

• 4 outtakes

• 5 deleted scenes

• (HD) HDNET: A look at World's greatest Dad - 4 minutes

• I hope I become a ghost - music video by The Deadly Syndrome

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=160339&d=1260364596

Final Thoughts:

World's greatest Dad is a darkly comedic, acerbically toned film that offers a different and at times outlandishly direct view that may be an acquired taste. I rated it in the middle of the road because I found that there were things about I liked and others that I didn't care for. It has potential which is why I will hold on to it for a second viewing to see if my outlook on it changes. Magnolia HE has been consistent in the excellent audio/video quality of their offerings on Blu-ray Disc and this presentation is no different as it features crisp high definition video and crystal clear lossless sound. The supplied bonus material includes a decent commentary track and behind the scenes feature that are worth checking out. I would say that depending on your tastes this film is probably a love/hate situation. Regardless, unless you are already a fan, I recommend a rental before purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This isn't really a movie for the collection but it's definitely worth a rental. To me it was something very new that I hadn't really seen before. It's a very dark comedy and had some jokes that made me crack up. It does really play with your emotions because it's about a very serious subject and I almost felt guilty at some of the parts that had me laughing. I wish it had been a bit more polished though, some parts just didn't feel right. The filmmakers had a great opportunity to make something amazing but kind of fumbled.

Anyways, I agree with the rent not buy approach to this film. Do check it out though!
post #3 of 7 Old 12-25-2009, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The film does a good job of pointing out that there are people that are of more value to society dead than living.

The kid had the typical teenage negative personality combined with being somewhat slow witted and perverted beyond his years. Even his only friend seemed to be around him due to lack of other people who would associate with him.

I was disappointed in the ending. In the theme of "black comedy", his character could have lived within the lie he had created and gone on to fame, fortune and success. That would have made a statement that our popular "idols" aren't always what they present themselves to be. You don't have to look far in recent past to find examples.

Robin Williams was good in the film. I always give him extra acting credit when he plays a character that is somewhat reserved. His personality being one long manic episode makes me believe that he must be a good actor to behave in a normal fashion.

Rent before buying.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Decent PQ and AQ. A thoroughly creepy and uncomfortable film with a premise stretched to the breaking point and peopled with unlikable characters. Some may consider it a black comedy but it seems more like a badly made film. Sorry Ralph I guess we'll have to disagree on this one (which is something I don't usually say).

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #5 of 7 Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
I just want to warn everyone about the very end of the movie. I'm not giving anything away by saying this, I promise...but if you don't want to be completely traumatized, close your eyes as soon as you get to the part where Robin Williams jumps in the pool.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

I just want to warn everyone about the very end of the movie. I'm not giving anything away by saying this, I promise...but if you don't want to be completely traumatized, close your eyes as soon as you get to the part where Robin Williams jumps in the pool.

Greetings,

Too late for me....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 7 Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Too late for me....

Regards,

LOL! Sorry, Ralph....

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page