Studio and Year: Disney - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 88 minutes
Genre: Family/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bill Nighy, Zach Galifianakis, Sam Rockwell, Will Arnett, Jon Favreau, William H. Macey, Nicholas Cage, Penélope Cruz
Directed by: Hoyt Yeatman
Music by: Trevor Rabin
Written by: Story- Hoyt Yeatman, Screenplay- Cormac & Marianne Wibberley
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 15, 2009

"I would've hit you so hard you would have shed yourself"

Film Synopsis:

A specially trained squad of guinea pigs is dispatched to stop a diabolical billionaire from taking over the world.

My Take:

From Disney and Über-Producer Jerry Bruckheimer comes this tale of a team of genetically altered guinea pigs. The furry animals have 48 hours to stop a global extermination plan by an electronics giant. The plan involves activating a secret chip implanted in all of its devices, and of course the FBI doesn't believe the rodents and their creator played by Zach Galifianakis (the tightly whitey wearing brother from The Hangover). Now If I were to review this with a serious bent I would say stay away...stay very far away! But since it’s for your 10 year old I’ll admit it is pretty decent for what it is. Yes, it is chock full o' cliché, hit or miss one liner’s, and big chase scenes. And Guess what? Kids will dig it. Remember folks, it’s not a cliché to them (yet)! Voiced by Sam Rockwell (Darwin), Penélope Cruz (Juarez), and Tracey Morgan (Blaster), the CGI guinea pigs looked great and had personality. I had a few smiles with their interplay on male/female relations as Juarez, the female guinea pig is playing hard to get with Darwin and Blaster fighting for her attention. "Yippee-ki-yay, coffee-maker!" There are definitely some moments for the adults as well as some familiar faces to help us through. The always great Bill Nighy plays the lead heavy while Will Arnett and Zach Galifianakis lend a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor playing their roles with a serious face on. So what if we have seen it before and seen it better? So what if you already have a favorite government animal espionage thriller. If you need to escape High School Musical 7 and want a break from completely animated/CGI tales, you won’t go wrong with G-FORCE on a rainy Saturday or Friday popcorn night.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG for mild action and some rude humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Video: 80

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947d=1210373696

G-FORCE comes to Bluray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 4 mbps.

G-FORCE is not as pristine a transfer as I would hope from 2009 CGI ridden Disney film. But again, I feel I am splitting hairs as this sure is a good looking Bluray. Maybe it’s because it was originally released in 3D but the colors looked a bit warm and on the reddish side making the skin-tones and color saturation suffer. It was not the sharpest transfer I have seen lately but I think most viewers will not find a thing wrong. The blacks were slightly crushed, especially noticeable at times when Bill Nighy's black blazer had no definition. Still, it’s an above average Bluray experience and most of the time these issues were not jumping off the screen. The good news is there really was no video noise or artifact's to be found and to some, the over saturated colors might just give it a bit of extra pop. The Audio is a definite step up. I loved its use of the surrounds; I almost wanted to swat the secret agent Fly buzzing around! The LFE was deep and quick adding a nice depth of dynamics. When things got hectic, which happened quite often, I would lose a very important and witty word or two. Besides that it was a very nice surround mix!

* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear within the picture area *

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Cine-Explore With Darwin, Blaster & Their Creator (PIP)

• (HD) Access Granted: Inside The Animation Lab

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Blaster's Boot Camp

• (HD) G-Farce- Bloopers And Flubs

• (HD) G-Force Mastermind

• (HD) Bruckheimer Animated: A Look Back At His CG Work

• (HD) Music Videos

• BD Live Enabled

• Digital Copy

• DVD Copy

• D-Box Motion Code

Final Thoughts:

Out of my last 3 Children's reviews, Alien's in the Attic and Shorts, I would plop G-FORCE in the middle behind Aliens. A fun action spoof with enough meat for us parents to sink our teeth into, a generous portion of extras and a enough whiz and bang to enjoy your system. I would say its an easy rental and possible purchase, especially if it seems up you little one's alley.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-15-2009, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If my kids did not want it I might pass on this one.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #3 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 AM

Mr. Weber you really need a new picture!
You look like a Star Trek guy in the 80's of who nobody remembers the name off before getting killed in a random episode.

[/offtopic]
post #4 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 05:56 AM

Just the type of harmless film for young kids, good wholesome Disney entertainment without any other tones. I myself as an adult found it interesting but not captivating.

Buy it? I would but be prepared for your kids to start asking for a visit to the pet store and also the toys evolved from this.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

Just the type of harmless film for young kids, good wholesome Disney entertainment without any other tones. I myself as an adult found it interesting but not captivating.

Buy it? I would but be prepared for your kids to start asking for a visit to the pet store and also the toys evolved from this.

I didn't think the characters were iconic enough, but I guess cute furry animals are cute furry animals

I did get my son a dancing/singing Caddyshack Gopher
post #6 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post

Mr. Weber you really need a new picture!
You look like a Star Trek guy in the 80's of who nobody remembers the name off before getting killed in a random episode.

[/offtopic]

As long as I got paid for the episode!

Ya the pic is pretty terrible (I am hardly that serious in real life), I have been meaning to change it!
post #7 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM

Liked: 13
Day one purchase for me. My kids (aged 10 & 11) loved it when we saw it in the theater. It's this Saturday's "Movie Night" feature in the basement.

I liked it, too. Not groundbreaking, but entertaining. (I liked Space Chimps, too. Read into that what you will.)

Thanks for the review.
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I thought for a new release the sound was not very good. LFE was weak and a lot of the sounds had little impact or dynamics. Disappointing
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #9 of 14 Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 212
This is a stocking stuffer for my kids. Sounds like my 10 year old may tire of it but I am sure the 4 year old will demand many repeat viewings. With the Disney $10 coupon and other coupons to add you can't go wrong with this for under $10.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10 of 14 Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM

Saw this last night,
and i to was disappointed in the sound wise area. Let say that with the music sound track it had some bass to it. but as for rest of the movie it did lack of lfe .1,i thought my sub woofer was broken. Overall it was fun and entertaining movie for family night.. I say,rent it and don't buy it..
post #11 of 14 Old 12-17-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvGeek07 View Post

Saw this last night,
and i to was disappointed in the sound wise area. Let say that with the music sound track it had some bass to it. but as for rest of the movie it did lack of lfe .1,i thought my sub woofer was broken. Overall it was fun and entertaining movie for family night.. I say,rent it and don't buy it..

It was not a LFE extravaganza, but when called for my sub sure did sound big and very tasty actually.

These things are system dependent.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-19-2009, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Watched it last night and found it entertaining and funny. I was expecting not to like it but with two young kids, this was right up their alley. Even had some funny references (lines stolen from) other movies such as Die Hard, Scarface, etc.. I thought the video transfer was pretty sharp but as mentioned above some of the skin tones seemed warm. The soundtrack also didn't seem to be very dynamic.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I watched this last night and enjoyed much more than I thought I would.
The PQ was pretty impressive and I didn't find the soundtrack that lacking.
This made for a good rental, IMO.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Rented this for the Kids (6 and 3) It was slightly less painful than my last root canal (but only becuase I could pause and go to the bathroom when I needed a break).

This movie is awful in my opinon. The kids thought it was OK but had no desire to watch it again unlike other recent rentals like Monsters vs Aliens. Many kids movies have enough to keep me interested but this one was trulty bad.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Pioneer Sc 07 Elite Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page