Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 99 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Starring: Sandra Bullock, Bradley Cooper, Thomas Haden Church, Ken Jeong, Howard Hessman, Beth Grant, Keith David
Directed by: Phil Traill
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Kim Barker
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 22, 2009

"A comedy that clings"

Film Synopsis:

Sandra Bullock
(The Proposal) and Bradley Cooper (The Hangover) star in this off-the-wall comedy about a blind date gone hilariously wrong. When eccentric, but lovable, Mary gets set up with Steve, a news channel cameraman, she falls hard. He does not. Mary decides to follow Steve on a cross-country hunt for breaking news and soon finds herself entangled in the story. But despite the media storm surrounding her, Mary may just discover her true place in the world... and the man of her dreams!

My Take:

Mary Horowitz is (Bullock) an eccentric, thirty something, spinster type that lives with her parents and writes a weekly crossword puzzle for the local paper. She doesn't date much (hardly at all) and reluctantly agrees to a blind date with Steve (Cooper) after their parents set it up. Not expecting much she is surprised when Steve arrives to pick her up. He is well spoken, works as a cameraman for the local news network, and is good looking. She dons her shortest skirt, tightest blouse, and sixties style knee high red boots and off they go. The date ends before it begins though when Mary literally forces herself on Steve before they have left her parent's driveway. Steve excuses himself by feigning a call from work but not before indirectly (and unintentionally) inviting Mary to come along on his next assignment. She immediately becomes infatuated with Steve and goes so far as to make the answers in her next crossword puzzle All about Steve. She considers him her soul mate and seeks to connect with him which leads to her following him and his news team on an assignment half way across the country. Once Steve realizes what is happening he continually tries to give her the slip while his wise cracking glory seeking news reporter associate Hartman Hughes (Haden Church) seizes the opportunity to have fun with Steve by leading Mary on with false information about Steve's feeling etc. When Mary inadvertently falls down an old mine shaft while pursuing Steve the story becomes a media blitzed event. The incident and ensuing outcome opens Mary's eyes regarding self worth and the strange direction her life has been going in while simultaneously teaching Hartman Hughes a thing or two about himself.

I wouldn't qualify myself as a Sandra Bullock fan per se but it would be fair to say that I like her and generally enjoy her films. I can recall my first experience with her was in 1993's Demolition man starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. I remember liking her enough to want to find out who she was and what else she had been in. Over the years I have probably liked more of her films than I didn't but I haven't seen them all. Most recently I reviewed her romantic comedy The Proposal and found it to be entertaining. In looking at the trailer for All about Steve it looked to run along similar lines and seeing as I like both Bradley Cooper and Thomas Haden Church I figured it had a chance. Unfortunately this just didn't work for me. I found the characters uninteresting and the plotline to be shallow and bordering on ridiculous. Her character was too annoying and the concept of her existence too silly to lend credence to both the story and her portrayal. This left things up to Cooper and Haden Church who both had little to offer thanks to the bland and incongruous script. This film was far from entertaining and left me disinterested and waiting for the credits to roll.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content and innuendo.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

All about Steve comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 mbps.

This is a great looking video encoding from Fox on Blu-ray. High level high definition detail is present throughout so that images are rendered with pristine quality. Colors are bright and overly saturated which made them sometimes appear exaggerated in instances where hues were present onscreen in multiple layers. I wouldn't define this as a shortcoming since to my eyes colors are visually pleasing with vivid detail and lush variety. Flesh tones are naturally rendered with discernible complexional delineation among the various members of the cast. Contrast and black levels are good enough that blacks have good depth and whites don't appear overblown. I didn't see any signs of video related artifacts or compression noise. The audio presentation was quite good and easily rendered the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. The surrounds are active at times and were used to good effect for panning sound effects and reproducing music related ambience. The mix isn't very aggressive but does create an enjoyable surround sound experience that perfect matched the tone of the film. Dialogue and front channel audio is delivered with excellent tonal variation and crystal clear sonics. I thought that this soundtrack sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by writer Kim Barker, director Phil Traill, and cast members Sandra Bullock, Thomas Haden Church, Bradley Cooper and Ken Jeong

• (HD) 6 deleted/alternate scenes with optional commentary

• (HD) Gag reel (5 minutes) with optional commentary

• (HD) Bradley Cooper and Ken Jeong's acapella duet - with optional commentary

• (HD) Hollywood Dish with Mena Micheletti (Kerri Kenney)- Faux insider show - 17 minutes

• (HD) All about All about Steve - 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Crew snapshots to Mary's rap - 3 minutes

• Fox Movie Channel presents Life after film school with Phil Traill - 23 minutes

• (HD) Trailers - Adam, (500) Days of Summer

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

All about Steve is a rather disappointing comedy that lacks likeable characters, genuine humor and steadfast direction. Sandra Bullock was miscast in this role and the screenplay just didn't provide the cast with material that evoked laughter. Its high definition presentation from Fox on Blu-ray looks great although I found the bonus content to offer little in the way of meaningful extras. If you liked this film this disc is worth picking up otherwise I suggest a rental or catching it on cable TV.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks as always for the reviews, Ralph.

It seems more and more reviewers are utilizing the Oppo lately so maybe I should get one.

Happy holidays and keep up the good and much appreciated work you have done for this forum.
post #3 of 14 Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought the movie was decent, but towards the middle and end of the movie I kind of got bored and lost interest. This film could have been made a lot better and more creative.
post #4 of 14 Old 12-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

I wouldn't qualify myself as a Sandra Bullock fan per se but it would be fair to say that I like her and generally enjoy her films. I can recall my first experience with her was in 1993's Demolition man starring Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes. I remember liking her enough to want to find out who she was and what else she had been in. Over the years I have probably liked more of her films than I didn't but I haven't seen them all. Most recently I reviewed her romantic comedy The Proposal and found it to be entertaining.

Hey Ralph,
I agree. My first encounter was Speed, which I still love to watch. Then she did Speed 2, which was terrible. I recently discovered that she has been in 46 movies and TV shows, most of which are not memorable. My favorites are Speed, Miss Congeniality 1 and 2, and While you were Sleeping (a great Christmas movie, and....uhh, ok ok,..., a bit of a chick flick), all of which I have watched several times. The Net, Premonition, Demo Man, and the Proposal weren't great, but worth watching. In addition to her obvious good looks (at 45, I still consider her to be reference quality eye candy ), she has a genuine personality, on and off the set. I got a kick out of reading that "She was a popular cheerleader, whose classmates dubbed her the person Most Likely to Brighten Your Day". I believe most common folks like myself, enjoy watching an actor that is always likable and not in rehab every year. Probably one of her strongest assets.

Thank you for the honest review. Even though I am a big fan, I may wait for the rental. She needs to do a better job of picking scripts or she will be losing some fans in the future.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sandra Bullock seems to be making a bunch of throw away movies while she can still get the big paychecks.

Great actors look through scripts for strong roles. Good actors at least read the scripts. Regular actors that have gotten lucky with a few films look at the contract price and sign before reading the script.

I think Sandra falls into the last category.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for your review Ralph.
I think you really nailed this one.
I didn't consider this movie a waste of my time as a rental, but was mediocre at best considering the talent.
post #7 of 14 Old 12-26-2009, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Very mediocre, but at least the ending isn't clichéd..

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #8 of 14 Old 12-28-2009, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting review Ralph.

About Sandra being a miscast in this movie. I thought she was funny but maybe you're right. Maybe Jennifer Aniston could've played her part?

Overall i liked the movie although certain parts left me stale. Since i'm a big fan of Sandra i'd have to say collect.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I just saw this and thought it was very well done by Sandra Bullock. In fact, I think it was one of her best performances for a comedic role. My wife and I laughed all the way through it.
I do agree it isn't worth buying, however, but then I'm one who thinks that of most movies and I choose to rent all but less than 30 Blu Ray in my library. For us it was one of those movies you watch once, get a good laugh, and then move on. Thank you Blockbuster Movie Pass!
post #10 of 14 Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

I just saw this and thought it was very well done by Sandra Bullock. In fact, I think it was one of her best performances for a comedic role. My wife and I laughed all the way through it.
I do agree it isn't worth buying, however, but then I'm one who thinks that of most movies and I choose to rent all but less than 30 Blu Ray in my library. For us it was one of those movies you watch once, get a good laugh, and then move on. Thank you Blockbuster Movie Pass!

I agree...Bullock was funny, but the screenplay wasn't that good at all considering the talent they had. Bradley Cooper had some great expressions whenever he saw Bullock coming his way.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #11 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
with all the crappy reviews I watched it with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised and amused. Her character was annoying but I can relate being somewhat of an outcast nerd myself.

Steve's reaction to her was hilarious IMHO.

I liked the show and will probably watch it again someday.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

with all the crappy reviews I watched it with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised and amused. Her character was annoying but I can relate being somewhat of an outcast nerd myself.

Steve's reaction to her was hilarious IMHO.

I liked the show and will probably watch it again someday.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Ed. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #13 of 14 Old 01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Sandra Bullock seems to be making a bunch of throw away movies while she can still get the big paychecks.

Great actors look through scripts for strong roles. Good actors at least read the scripts. Regular actors that have gotten lucky with a few films look at the contract price and sign before reading the script.

I think Sandra falls into the last category.

I take back any note of criticism in my note above. Sandra was just named top box office star for 2009.

Whatever her strategy for picking films, it seems to be working,
post #14 of 14 Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Try as I may to like this film, it felt like a made for TV movie that I will easily forget.

Bullock looks pretty good, and that's about all this film has going for it. Her strange way of talking, non existent personality, and strange spontaneous bursts of sexual frivolity make a very strange character that is hard to relate to in any way.

There were a few parts that will make you laugh out loud, but they few and far between. If you have no other choices, and are in the mood for a light comedy, then this one fits the bill. I would have much rather had a different film to watch the last two evenings than this one. Fortunately, I just exchanged for Book of Eli yesterday and am very much looking forward to seeing it.

PQ was very good, but doesn't leave me with anything memorable to say. A typical, good quality transfer. SQ was also good, with very clear dialogue. Not too many dynamic scenes, but the ones that did exist were recorded well. No problems there.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 3.5 out of 5, Film 2 out of 5

Regards,
Dan
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
All About Steve Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - All by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page