Studio and Year: Touchstone/Disney - 1999
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Teen Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Larisa Oleynik, Larry Miller, David Krumholtz
Directed by: Gil Junger
Music by: Richard Gibbs
Written by: Karen McCullah Lutz & Kirsten Smith
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 5, 2010

"Spitefully romantic "

Film Synopsis:

New kid in school Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is smitten with the beautiful Bianca (Larisa Oleynik). The problem is that Bianca isn't allowed to date unless her surly older sister Kat (Stiles) does. Cameron's only hope is to enlist the help of Patrick (Ledger), the school troublemaker with a reputation as nasty as Kat's. The classic comedy that launched the careers of Academy Award winner Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles celebrates its ten-year high school reunion in this special edition release is packed with a million things to love, including an exclusive sneak peek at Heath Ledger's screen test.

My Take:

Padua High sophomore Bianca Stratford (Larisa Oleynik) wants desperately to date. She has a crush on high school rich kid Joey (Keegan) and no idea that the new kid in school Cameron (Gordon-Levitt) is crazy about her. Ultimately she ends up with two invitations to the prom and one big problem: her father (Larry Miller) won't let her date unless her older sister Kat (Stiles) does as well. The problem is that Kat has zero interest in conforming to conventional ideals like dating or going to the prom. It looks like both girls are staying home, or are they? Cameron and best friend Michael (Krumholtz) concoct a plan that revolves around getting Kat to go out on a date with legendary school bad boy Patrick (Ledger). With Kat dating this opens up the door for Cameron to ask Bianca out. With money being the only way to get Patrick to go along Michael convinces Joey that Bianca should be his next conquest and that he will need to employ Patrick in order to make it work. A healthy sum of money changes hands and Patrick is in. After several failed attempts Patrick woos the unsuspecting Kat and takes her to a party. One thing leads to another and the two find that they have more things in common than they would have thought possible. They grow closer and just as Patrick begins to realize he has fallen for his assignment, Kat finds out about the scheme and Patrick has to launch an all out campaign to win her back. Inspired by Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew," this teen comedy takes a witty and contemporary look at the eternal battle between the sexes, high-school style.

The 90's produced a plethora of teen films that ranged in genre and popularity. Seeing as my teens past a decade earlier I didn't have much in common with them but there were several that I enjoyed just the same. 10 things I hate about you slipped past my radar and prior to receiving the press announcement about this 10th anniversary edition release I had never heard of it. Looking at its cast peaked my interest so I eagerly awaited its arrival from Disney. My favorite teen comedy from the same era is American pie although that would qualify as more of a bro flick. This is a romantic comedy that essentially covers the standard thematic elements we see in most but does so with flair. I appreciated how well the script maintained the balance between its comedic and romance/dramatic elements. It was never too serious or too silly and spoke from a perspective that could be enduring to maturer audiences as well. I think that its strength lies in the performances of its young but obviously talented cast which is headed by Julia Stiles, Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Ledger's charisma was readily apparent even then and Stiles has the ability to captivate without speaking a word. Gordon-Levitt was already a seasoned actor when he made this film and his performance as the affable but staunch Cameron lent credibility to the story and characters. Last but certainly not least David Krumholtz aptly provides the film's comic relief. It was hard to watch this film and not feel saddened by the loss of Heath Ledger. I enjoyed his performance here and I suppose his fans can take some solace in the fact that he will live on through his films. Conceptually speaking 10 things I hate about you doesn't bring anything new to the table but I found it to be an above average and likable teen romantic comedy. Kudos to Disney for pulling this one out and dusting it off for a 10th anniversary release on Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude sex related humor and dialogue, alcohol and drug related scenes which all involve teenagers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

10 Things I hate about you comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Touchstone featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.9 mbps.

I was pleased with the quality of this high definition video presentation. Colors were natural and visually satisfying with delineated primaries that, depending on the lighting, could be bold and vivid. Fleshtones were warm, with appreciable tonal separation and lifelike depiction. Images were discernibly detailed and sharp which brought out plenty of nuance and texture within clothing, physical features, and objects onscreen. This made it easy to detect the texture on the surfaces of objects and the pattern in the weave of clothing worn by the cast. Long range visuals were resolved with above average clarity and depth. The video had a grainy texture that was apparent but its rendering was consistent, film like, and never infringed upon fidelity. Contrast was stable throughout the presentation as detail and variable stages in bright whites and gradations in gray tones were distinguishable. Blacks were slightly crushed but appeared dynamic when onscreen with mixed content. Dark sequences had appreciable dimension and sufficient shadow detail that combined with the video's higher resolution to enhance depth of field in wide angle shots. The application of artificial sharpening is noticeable and tends to make the video look a bit edgy which may bother those who are sensitive to it. Other than that and a few instances where resolution fell off just slightly I felt that this was a stable 1080p encode that presented this film in a positive light.

The lossless audio presentation is decent and easily renders the source elements with excellent clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialogue and front channel audio is delivered with defining tonal variation and crystal clarity. The surrounds aren't active at all times but support the front oriented presentation where appropriate and adds spatial extension to the film's music. The mix isn't aggressive but does create a stable and enjoyable sound experience that mated well with the tone of the film.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 10 things I love about 10 things I hate about you 10 years later - 35 minute retrospective (which includes deleted scenes)

• Audio commentary with writers Karen McCullah, Kirsten Smith, and actors Andrew Keegan, David Krumholtz, Larisa Oleynik and Susan May Pratt

Final Thoughts:

10 things I hate about you stands on its own and offers more than most typical teen romantic comedies. Its an engaging, intelligent and witty film that surpasses the one dimensional feel of most of today's similar genre entries. I thoroughly enjoyed the performances from its young and (then) relatively unknown cast which included the late Heath Ledger. This 10th anniversary Blu-ray release from Disney/Touchstone offers fair audio/video quality and bonus supplements that deliver in the quality department but fall short in terms of quantity (considering the fact that this is a special edition). Regardless this film and presentation are worthy of consideration when you're in the mood for a well executed romantic comedy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I guess this movie might be okay, never seen it though but the presence of Julia Stiles may make it worthwhile, after all I actually once watched Shark Attack 3 with a strait face.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #3 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Saw this movie before and thought it was just ok. There were certain parts that were funny but for some reason it felt kind of "slow"? Personally i'd pass on it.

Cheers
post #4 of 5 Old 01-04-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

I guess this movie might be okay, never seen it though but the presence of Julia Stiles may make it worthwhile, after all I actually once watched Shark Attack 3 with a strait face.

This work is one of the best representations of Julia IMO, both in terms of acting and her physical beauty. She's on top of her game here if you're a fan of hers, even moreso than in some of the bigger movies she's in.

In this genre this movie is one of my favs. I'll have to decide if it's enough of an improvement from my high def broadcast copy. The bonus features while there could be a few more are enough to probably push it over the top for me.

Insider thread
? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just finished the movie and found it very good, just occasional sloppy writing that kept it from being a great movie. Interesting to see a 18 year Heath Ledger looking (and acting) like he's 30, and seeing Joseph Gordon Levitt playing a similar role as his recent 500 Days of Summer. And when Julia Stiles started dancing on the table at the party, I was mesmerized and couldn't take my eyes off the screen.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page