Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
attachment.php?attachmentid=162731&d=1262714442
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish
Starring: Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Mr. T, Andy Samberg, Bruce Campbell, Neil Patrick Harris, Benjamin Bratt, Will Forte, Lauren Graham
Written for the screen & Directed by: Phil Lord and Christopher Miller based upon the book by Jodi Barrett
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 5, 2010

"Prepare to get served"

Film Synopsis:

When Flint Lockwood’s (Bill Hader) latest contraption accidentally destroys the town square and rockets up into the clouds, he thinks his inventing career is over. Then something amazing happens as delicious cheeseburgers start raining from the sky. His machine actually works! But when people greedily ask for more and more food, the machine starts to run amok, unleashing spaghetti tornadoes and giant meatballs that threaten the world! Now it’s up to Flint, with the help of weather girl Sam Sparks (Anna Faris) and Steve, his talking monkey assistant, to find some way to shut down the machine before the world is covered in super-sized meatballs!

My Take:

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs introduces bumbling and good hearted inventor Flint Lockwood, a predominantly unsuccessful young scientist that lives in the small island town of Swallow Falls where the only thing there is to eat is sardines. After years of coming up with gadgets that seemed to serve no legitimate purpose he finally strikes pay dirt when he invents a device that will manufacture food from water. Unfortunately as Flint’s luck would have it the machine runs amok during testing and not only disrupts the town’s opening day extravaganza dedicating their new theme park but flies up into the sky and vanishes. The next day the sky fills with clouds and it begins to rain cheeseburgers..! The town is thrilled to have this wonderfully abundant and delicious opportunity to eat something other than sardines. That is everyone except Flint’s dad Tim who runs a local sardine bait shop. The local inland news affiliate sent over a young, inexperienced, female news reporter named Sam Sparks to Swallow Falls to cover the opening of the theme park. While that didn’t go so well thanks to Flint her coverage of the raining food goes national. Flint becomes the talk of the town and his ability to control what type of food falls from the sky makes him a hero. He and Sam become friends and find that they have much in common, including a fondness for gadgetry and one another. The demand for differing types of food from the people and the insistence of Mayor Shelbourne for larger and larger quantities places a strain on the orbiting machine and it begins to malfunction. This comes in the form of dropping monstrous sized food and developing a defense system to prevent it from being shut down. When things elevate to disastrous levels that threaten to destroy the world it is up to Flint, Sam and company to save the day.

I openly admit that I am a sucker for well executed animated films. I don’t rush out to see them when released but when they come to home video I look forward to the escapism found in their character driven fantasy worlds. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is based on a book of the same name by Judi and Ron Barrett. I wasn’t familiar with it prior to watching this so I really had no perspective or expectations going in. From what I understand this film differs from the book but not in a way that is injurious to the story. There is no denying that this is a formulaic premise that covers all the thematic bases but it still makes for a charming and family friendly film that everyone can enjoy. It isn’t emotionally stirring but it has its tender moments and contains positive messages that are subtly interwoven. There are plenty of laughs, a little romance and an abundance of colorful characters to keep interest high. I liked the multifaceted cast and appreciated each actor’s contribution which seemed to derive the most from their character. I wouldn’t rate it among the best animated feature films I have seen but I must admit that it was an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 mbps.

This is a superlative video presentation that boasts vivacious colors that are rich in saturation and bold in depth. Detail is rendered with aplomb as the video has excellent dimensional quality with crisp texture and fine articulation. Contrast is strong and well balanced so that whites are crisp and colors pop without distortion or loss of detail. Blacks are deep with excellent dynamic and gradational highlights. This is a pristine quality digital transfer that looks stunning. The DTS-HD Master Audio encoding makes excellent use of the entire surround platform and offers detail rich sonic clarity, crystalline dialogue and plenty of authoritative, room filling bass. This mix doesn’t bombard you with constantly aggressive surround sound. It applies it when appropriate and combines discretely placed directional cues with rear channel ambience that fills the listening area nicely. The front and rear sound field’s never collide but work in unison to render the soundtrack with precise imaging and acoustic placement that elevates the experience. Dynamic’s are excellent but not quite up to the level of the best lossless encodings that I have heard. The LFE channel is actively engaged and offers bass response that is extended, punchy and clean. This is a well rounded overall presentation that should satisfy even discerning enthusiasts.

Bonus Features:

• Splat mode – Interactive in movie feature

• Flint’s food fight game

• Commentary with writers/directors Christopher Miller, Phil Lord, and actor Bill Hader

• (HD) A recipe for success: The making of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs – 10 minutes

• (HD) Key ingredients: The voices of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs – 12 minute featurette

• (HD) 2 Extended scenes

• (HD) 2 early development scene/storyboards

• (HD) 5 progression reel sequences with introduction by visual FX supervisor Rob Bredow

• Miranda Cosgrove’s “ Raining sunshine” – Sing along, music video, behind the scenes of the music video

• (HD) Make it rain food – 30 second PSA for Feeding America

• (HD) Sony BD Previews

• Bonus DVD version of Cloudy with a chance of meatballs

• Digital Copy Code which enables downloading of a standard definition version of the film from a compatible PC to a portable media device

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=162732&d=1262714442

Final Thoughts:

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs is a cute and clever animated film offering from Sony. It may not be conceptually original but its entertaining elements will strike a chord with kids and adults who enjoy good lighthearted fun built around a meaningful story. Sony has done a superb job in bringing it to Blu-ray Disc as it looks incredible and sounds great. The bonus supplements offer a decent glimpse into the production while including a few extras to keep younger viewers entertained. The inclusion of a digital copy (unfortunately PSP only) and (standard definition) DVD bonus disc allows those capable to take the film on the go. Fans can feel confident in adding this disc to their collection. If you are looking for an entertaining family film I would recommend giving this one a rent on movie night with the kids.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph, I just rented it today for viewing later with the grandkids.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
i see too many highly rated bluray reviews, tell us which ones stink, ralph!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #4 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post

i see too many highly rated bluray reviews, tell us which ones stink, ralph!

Greetings,

I am not sure I follow you. You're interest is in Blu-ray releases that stink?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #5 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Ralph,

Happy New Year.

Thanks for the review! My 5 year old daughter saw this in the theater the other day and now that I've got a ralph potts review giving the green light on audio/video quality, this disc will be making it's way to daddy's home theater.

I've greatly expanded my bluray collection based on your reviews - thanks!!

Int I3 / Pio Elite VSX-01TXH / Sharp 60" LCD / Def Tech

P90X / P90X Results / P90X Results
post #6 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Is it just me having the feeling Sony and others are not releasing what they could give us in 3D now so that people double-dip later on when they have all the 3D equipment available this year ?

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #7 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Just watched this. The movie was just OK for me and I really did not care about any of the characters. Obviously this is geared toward kids, but was still hoping for a little more for adults.

AQ was definitely lacking a bit in dynamics and LFE considering the on screen action. This was especially noticeable after watching the animated film "9" last night which was just fantastic in both of these areas. Other than those 2 big areas, the audio was very good (dialog, surround info, clarity).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ralph,

I think you have the AR listed incorrectly. I thought this movie was in 2.35:1 AR.

Got it coming from Netflix today...look forward to checking it out!

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #9 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM

I saw this in the theaters. My main impetus was to see a 3D movie since I hadn't seen one since Jaws 3D! This movie is definitely geared more to kids. I wouldn't view it again and won't be buying the blu-ray, so do as Ralph suggested and rent 1st, unless you have kids.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Ralph,

I think you have the AR listed incorrectly. I thought this movie was in 2.35:1 AR.

Got it coming from Netflix today...look forward to checking it out!

Greetings,

You are absolutely correct vpn75..thanks for catching that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Was somewhat hesitant to see this when it first came out but after seeing the trailer too many times i gave in and saw it. To my surprise it was actually a decent movie and enjoyed it even though i thought the movie could be a little shorter. Nonetheless had a great time viewing it.

Collect.

Cheers
post #12 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Looking forward in getting this Ralp. Thanks for the review!!

Frank
post #13 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Your review is dead on as always. I really enjoyed this movie and was surprised by its originality.
post #14 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I really enjoyed this movie!
While it's animation my not rival some of the stellar Disney or Pixar offerings, it was very well done.
I liked the story and this blu-ray made for another great rental.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

So this release has no 3-D version right?

3-D version coming in summer with the real 3-D glasses right?
post #16 of 25 Old 01-09-2010, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I liked this movie in the theater and even more on Blu-ray at home...just a kid at heart I guess!
post #17 of 25 Old 01-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"" ..... The inclusion of a digital copy (unfortunately PSP only) ..... "" Yea fine print on the back side of the packaging..

--David
post #18 of 25 Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Doh... My wife, myself and 14 year old thought this movie was a drag... My 4 + 13 year olds liked it, however. Glad it was a scope film. Sound very good except it seemed there was a little weight cut from the low end.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #19 of 25 Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 AM
CIH USER

My 6 yr old has been talking about this for awhile hopefully should recieve my copy soon

Frank
post #20 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
CIH USER

Finished watching it absolutley loved it. The bonus of getting the DVD is good to as my daughter is constantly watching it in the dining room.

Frank
post #21 of 25 Old 01-25-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Finished watching it absolutley loved it. The bonus of getting the DVD is good to as my daughter is constantly watching it in the dining room.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts Frank.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #22 of 25 Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I just watched it yesterday. I thought it was a good movie. Sound was good but the video was amazing. The images are smooth and the colors are so vibrant. My sister watched this in 3D. At the movies of course. If you look at the way this film was produced, laid out, the character movements and color combination, the creators had “3D’ in mind.
post #23 of 25 Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM

Liked: 11
Too bad they didn't produce this one with the magenta/green or red/blue glasses - for now, as it'll be some time before I will be able to consider a real 3D TV or BD3D Player.

However, should a movie indeed be available in 3D later, I may buy it and sell off this one just to have it available that way, asit's been stated that Blu3D or whatever they call it will still have a standard 2D version included as well. I just hope that the 2D version will be 1080P.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Great review. We enjoyed this as well. This is no Pixar or top tier Dreamworks but it was still a decent movie that looked great and sounded good in my HT. My kids did not care that it was light on lfe - but what do they know.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #25 of 25 Old 02-18-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
The kids enjoyed it, but not one that they would play more than a couple of times.

Video was excellent as to be expected from today's animated movies, but not up there in the top tier. The father-son relationship was touching, and in many cases very humorous.

PQ: 4.5 out of 5, SQ: 4 out of 5, Film: 3.5 out of 5 (based on how the kids liked it) I would give it a 3.

Dan
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Cloudy by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page