Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
attachment.php?attachmentid=162804&d=1262770965
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures Classics - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 91 minutes
Genre: Documentary/Sport

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.0, English Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Hindi
Starring: Sean Penn (Narrator), Jay Adams, Tony Alva, Tony Hawk
Directed by: Stacy Peralta
Music by: Paul Crowder, Terry Wilson
Written by: Stacy Peralta, Craig Stecyk
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 5, 2010

"They Broke All The Rules and Changed The World"

Film Synopsis:

This award-winning, thrilling story is about a group of discarded kids who revolutionized skateboarding and shaped the attitude and culture of modern day extreme sports. Featuring old skool skating footage, exclusive interviews and a blistering rock soundtrack, DOGTOWN AND Z-BOYS captures the rise of the Zephyr skateboarding team from Venice's Dogtown, a tough "locals only" beach with a legacy of outlaw surfing.

My Take:

When someone has passion you can feel it; Director Stacey Peralta took his passion for skateboarding and surfing and channeled it into becoming a filmmaker. 'Dogtown and Z-Boys' is the story of a skateboarding crew of underdog street kids who reinvented the sport and inspired extreme sports as we know it today. Stacey knows this material well; he was one of the crew and arguably the most successful one. After this documentary he went on to direct 'riding GIANTS' and then write the screenplay for 'Lords of Dogtown'. Dogtown is an area of Venice that was on the wrong side of the tracks. These kids needed an outlet, it became surfing and mischief. With the help of Jeff Ho, Skip Engblom and Craig Stecyk of "Jeff Ho Surfboards and Zephyr Productions", they adapted surfing moves to skateboarding and it was uphill from there. They were renegades and pioneers; creating new moves as well as new places to skate. They would regularly find empty swimming pools to skate, essentially creating the first half pipe. The documentary focuses on Jay Adams, Tony Alva and Stacey, the three standout's skaters and personalities in the group. From the beginning days of skating for fun, to the glory of creating a skateboarding revolution and ultimately a mainstream culture, 'Dogtown and Z-Boys' is immerse, informative and shows an underlying dedication to the subject that makes the film a great watch.

Parental Guide:

Rated PG-13 for language and some drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 76

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373696

Dogtown and Z-Boyscomes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.0 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2 mbps.

With a documentary that is in 4:3 aspect ratio and mostly footage filmed by hand in the 70's, I wouldn't expect to be dazzled. I think it looked as good as it could. Some of the older footage surpassed the newer filmed interview portions, as they were way too grainy for my tastes. It had a very similar look to Stacey Peralta's riding GIANTS that I reviewed yesterday. Colors and black levels were consistent with 1080p encoded video and made the old footage look as nice a I suspect it ever will. We are working with limits here and I cant see anyone being disappointed. The audio was a strange one; I have yet to encounter a 5.0 soundtrack. I listened to it the way my system was set-up and it was clear and rich keeping dialogue and Sean Penn's narration up-front. The Rock n’ Roll heavy soundtrack was OK, but it was lacking a bit of dynamics (not as much as I would anticipate listening to 5.0 with 80hz crossover). I then adjusted my system to fit the source, setting my fronts to large; it opened up quite a bit and thankfully had more low end thump then before.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary Track with Director Stacey Peralta and Editor Paul Crowder

• (HD) Tony Alva art show

• (HD) The State of Pool Skating with Tony Alva and Bucky Lasek

• (HD) Extended "Raw" Skate Footage

• (HD) Jeff Ho 2000

• (HD) Mar Vista 2000

• (HD) Lords of Dogtown Webisodes

• (HD) Multi-Angle Footage

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Alternate Ending with Tony Alva 2000

• BD Live Enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=162805&d=1262770965

Final Thoughts:

Stacey Peralta knows how to make a documentary. I found myself interested in what happened to these kids, I loved watching them skate and enjoyed the soundtrack. This inspired me to pick up the feature film on the Zephyr Team and Z-Boys, 'Lords of Dogtown'. Too bad it’s not on Blu-ray as of now. Not quite an A/V stunner, what it lacks in high quality source material it makes up for by being a great watch. Packed with a really good supplemental feature package, 'Dogtown and Z-Boys' comes with my recommendation.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

Anthem LTX 500 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Prismasonic HE1500R Anamorphic Lens
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC07 Receiver
Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Lee . I was on the fence with this one as I already own the DVD and gasp , the VHS versions . I'm not seeing the point of purchasing the blu-ray . Maybe when it hits the bargain bin .
Still if any of you out there are like me and grew up in the 70's skateboarding and surfing this is an excellent documentary . But of coarse if your like me you already own it .

And when there was no crawdad we ate sand .
You ate sand ?!
We ate sand .
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I really liked the documentary. Much better than the movie. Interesting story and early history of skateboarding.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I love this documentary.. I was just going to purchase the Blu-ray version. Nice review Lee!

My First Home Theater

300 Blu-Rays, 150 DVD's loaded in my Movie Server!

Thanks AVS for making me addicted to this hobby!
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Based on Lee review and some of the responses i think i'm going to rent this one. Just because this reminds me of the movie RAD which is about BMX bikes and i used to be a big fan of skateboarding back in the days. Also Tony Hawk being in this movie is a big bonus.

Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Based on Lee review and some of the responses i think i'm going to rent this one. Just because this reminds me of the movie RAD which is about BMX bikes and i used to be a big fan of skateboarding back in the days. Also Tony Hawk being in this movie is a big bonus.

Cheers

I should note he is in it briefly, they just talk about his being part of a team Stacey creates after the Z-Boys and he has a few lines.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Lee. Still looking forward to watching the whole film. Should be an interesting documentary.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page