Feature running time: 89 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bruce Willis, Radha Mitchell, Rosamund Pike, Boris Kodjoe, Ving Rhames, James Cromwell, Jack Noseworthy
Directed by: Jonathan Mostow
Music by: Richard Marvin
Written by: John Brancato & Michael Ferris based on the graphic novel by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 26, 2010

"A more perfect you"

Film Synopsis:

FBI agent Tom Greer (Bruce Willis) lives in a world where robotic surrogates stand in for people, protecting them from violence, contagionand the appearance of aging. These picture perfect, real-life avatarsfit, good-looking, remotely controlled machines that assume their operator's life roleenable the population to experience life vicariously from the comfort and safety of their own homes. Greer and his partner, Agent Peters (Radha Mitchell), are called in to probe the mysterious death of a college student, whose life ended when his surrogate was destroyed. When Greer's surrogate is damaged in the investigation, he ventures out of his apartment for the first time in decades. In a world of masks, Greer must decide who is real and who can be trusted.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164270&d=1264081030

When we envision the future the idea of robots/androids is something that has been emphasized in films for many years. Today's technology makes this a much more plausible concept. Surrogates is a sci-fi thriller based on the graphic novel of the same name by Robert Venditti and Brett Weldele. It employs an interesting premise where humanoid robots are designed and linked to humans via an operating chair/apparatus that allows humans to live life through them without having to leave home. The process was originally developed for disabled people however it quickly became adapted by Virtual Self Industries (VSI for short) for use by anyone/everyone as a means to live life without the dangers inherent in the outside world. Acceptance and integration came quickly with only a small group of separatists seeing it as an unacceptable substitution. The use of surrogates effectively eliminates human to human contact and the mortality rate drops accordingly. One night a young well to do college student's surrogate is destroyed outside of a nightclub by a stranger wielding an unknown weapon/device. The case is investigated by FBI agents Greer (Willis), and Peters (Mitchell) who subsequently discover that not only was the surrogate destroyed but its human handler at home died as a result. The case represents the first homicide since the inception of surrogacy. Little do the investigators realize that this young man's death will spark events that lead them on the trail of a killer whose ultimate goal is the elimination of every surrogate and potentially every human they are connected to.

I wanted to see Surrogates while it was in theaters but never got around to it. I thought that conceptually speaking it had excellent potential. After watching it I still feel that way but ended up wanting more from its story. The dehumanization of man plot started out fine but continued to sink deeper into a derived and scheming storyline that lacked originality and focus. By the end it also started feeling a little preachy as it spoke to mankind's quest for physical perfection and reliance on advanced technology. While not a perfectly executed thriller I still enjoyed its level of suspense, semi-evocative interpersonal relationship between Greer and his wife and brief action based elements. Bruce Willis had no trouble handling the starring/heroic role of Greer. Radha Mitchell and Rosamund Pike were equally convincing in support and providing excellent eye candy. Casting James Cromwell as Cantor after his role in I Robot came off as a sort of rehashing that added to the been there done that connection. In the end Surrogates is an average thriller that isn't especially memorable but makes for a watchable popcorn flick on movie night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence, disturbing images, language, sexuality, and a drug related scene.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=164269&d=1264081030

Surrogates comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3 mbps.

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, bold use of contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks have excellent dynamic range with velvety depth and visible gradational highlights. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable dimension. Images are punchy, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. Any softening is innate and strictly limited to the film's visual style. The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has extended dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film's elements. The music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this involving and sometimes active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room's acoustic environment makes for a notably enveloping surround experience. Low frequency effects can be intense as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the low level bass and dynamic impact during action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I thought the presentation was quite good and as a whole enhanced the enjoyment of the film.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary

• (HD) A more perfect you: The science of Surrogates - 15 minute featurette

• (HD) Breaking the frame: A graphic novel comes to life - 6 minute feature

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes

• (HD) I will not bow music video by Breaking Benjamin

Final Thoughts:

Surrogates is a potentially good sci-fi thriller that unfortunately succumbs to its derived and ultimately unfulfilling plot. While it may not be as rewarding as I had hoped it still makes for a decent popcorn flick that looks and sounds terrific on Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Touchstone. If you're a fan this will make for a technically strong addition to your collection, otherwise throw it in your rental queue and take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually liked this movie. Am a big sci-fi fan so after seein the trailer and learning of the human/robot concept i was hooked! I was really surprised about Ving Rhames' character after that one scene. There's also a certain scene with Bruce Willis in which it reminded me of iRobot.

The story, plot, character and location of this movie made for an enjoyable entertainment for me. Plus not to mention Ralphs score of 89. Will definitely be collecting this one.

Cheers
post #3 of 36 Old 01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the Netflix rental Q.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #4 of 36 Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking forward to get this BD.Very nice to hear this BD is great as the theatrical release.Thanks for review,Ralph.
post #5 of 36 Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
In the extras, the director and other principles talk about concepts that really don't come off in terms of making this more than a good action flic. Ralph, as usual, is right about the merits of the film which make it an enjoyable flic to watch with friends. It looks superb, with the director talking in the comentary about using a glass trick with the widescreen lens to ad a deep focus effect which greatly helps the compositions. It's a disc you can appreciate technically while enjoying the Bruce Willis action and the beauty and skill of the two female leads. Buy it! These days you can do a lot worse.
post #6 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Thanks Ralph this is on top of my list of my must see

Frank
post #7 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks Ralph this is on top of my list of my must see

Greetings,

Enjoy Frank and be sure to post back with your impressions.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #8 of 36 Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Popcorn flick is about right. I left the theater somewhat disappointed after seeing this since I like most Bruce Willis movies. I'll definitely rent to see it again and then wait for the BD price to come down.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #9 of 36 Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am looking forward to seeing this one and will have the rental on Tuesday.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-25-2010, 03:18 PM

Hey Guys
Disney is offering a $10 off coupon for the Surogates blu-ray.
here is the link to print out the coupon.
I wish more companies would do this.

http://video.movies.go.com/surrogates/couponoffer/
post #11 of 36 Old 01-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Wireman24. I will be buying this sometime this week and appreciate the tip on the coupon.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got done watching Surrogates and I liked it!
Here again not a great film by any means, but was thoroughly entertaining. Pretty cool subject matter and a decent sci-fi romp.
PQ and AQ were decent and gave my HT system a good workout.
When it was all finished I was very pleased with my rental.
Thanks for the review!
Next up on this weeks watch list is "Whip It" and Michael Jackson's "This is It"
post #13 of 36 Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 AM

I liked it quite a bit, interestingly our local Walmart did not have it at all and I suspect they are decreasing the amount of BD on the shelves. Very few new releases in BD, I have to buy new ones at Target instead.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-27-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched this the other night and was pleased. Reminded me quite a bit of I, Robot. The PQ is outstanding.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #15 of 36 Old 01-28-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the link wireman! Probably would have not purchased this already if not for the coupon.
Thanks as always for the review Ralph
post #16 of 36 Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

I very rarely ever watch a movie twice but was bored as last night as there wasn't really anything to watch on TV, so I watched Surrogates again.
Liked it even more the second time around.
Due agree that there are some similarities to "I, Robot" but Surrogates is an engaging movie with plenty of action and intrigue to hold it's own.
Makes for a good rental, IMO.
Thanks again Ralph for the review.
post #17 of 36 Old 01-30-2010, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Great review Ralph!

I just watched this one tonight...have actually been looking forward to both it and Gamer, which I saw on Wednesday. Anyway, I definitely agree with Ralph's take....not a spectacular film by any means, but if you are a fan of sci-fi, it's a good popcorn flick. It held my interest for the entire 90 minutes and I thought some of the scenes (particularly the last "city" scene) were very effective and well done.

I was REALLY disappointed with Gamer, which in turn had me feeling uneasy about this one...but alas, Surrogates served its purpose and gave my lady friend and I a nice bit of entertainment.

BTW, one of Bruce Willis' most underrated films, "Unbreakable", was on HDNet the other night. I didn't care for this film the first time I saw it, mainly I think because I was ready to compare it to Sixth Sense, but with repeated viewings it's become one of my favorite filims. If it's been a while since you guys have seen it, give it another chance!
post #18 of 36 Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

BTW, one of Bruce Willis' most underrated films, "Unbreakable", was on HDNet the other night. I didn't care for this film the first time I saw it, mainly I think because I was ready to compare it to Sixth Sense, but with repeated viewings it's become one of my favorite filims. If it's been a while since you guys have seen it, give it another chance!

Agreed, Unbreakable is probably my favorite of the M. Night movies. I don't think it would have been as good if anyone other than Bruce Willis were cast as the lead.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #19 of 36 Old 01-31-2010, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Agreed, Unbreakable is probably my favorite of the M. Night movies. I don't think it would have been as good if anyone other than Bruce Willis were cast as the lead.

Yep, he did a great job. I tend to enjoy most of his films, and his pairing with M.Night for both Sixth Sense and Unbreakable was excellent casting
post #20 of 36 Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Just saw this movie again last night and maybe it's just me be the second time around i am liking it more and more. The whole concept is just amazing. A/V Quality wise i thought it was great as well.

Thanks to wireman24 for the $10 off coupon. Used it at my local Best Buy.
post #21 of 36 Old 02-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireman24 View Post

Hey Guys
Disney is offering a $10 off coupon for the Surogates blu-ray.
here is the link to print out the coupon.
I wish more companies would do this.

http://video.movies.go.com/surrogates/couponoffer/

I can't find the actual coupon? What do I do?
post #22 of 36 Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azula View Post

I can't find the actual coupon? What do I do?

Coupon was only good until last month so it's not available anymore and it looks like they took it down.
post #23 of 36 Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Surrogates is one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. I really enjoyed seeing Bruce Willis as a youngster. One of the reason I enjoyed this movie is that the plot was simple, and the message is revelant. This is pure entertainment which is what a good movie should be.
post #24 of 36 Old 02-08-2010, 08:01 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

Surrogates is one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. I really enjoyed seeing Bruce Willis as a youngster. One of the reason I enjoyed this movie is that the plot was simple, and the message is revelant. This is pure entertainment which is what a good movie should be.

Cant wait to get my copy!!

Frank
post #25 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I watched this last night. Even as a scifi fan I could not get too worked up to watch this so was not a first week rental for me. However, the beginning reminded me of iRobot and I started to enjoy the movie. Eventually, it's beginning promise was never fully realised but it was slightly better than I thought it would be. PQ was solid and sets were pretty slick if a bit on a small scale. 80 million dollar budget does not buy very much any more. Zombieland and District 9, for the money, put out a much more powerful visual impact.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #26 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yeah I wasn't all that impressed with Blu ray quality of this movie. Some scenes were nice like the opening scene was nice and slick and close ups of the Prophet showed a great deal of detail and clarity but overall a rather bland movie. Certainly not even close to being referance.. If this was the directors intentions then fine but not impressed at all.

Watch the SciFi movie Sunshine, NOW that could be referernce. that movie was beautiful.
post #27 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

Yeah I wasn't all that impressed with Blu ray quality of this movie. Some scenes were nice like the opening scene was nice and slick and close ups of the Prophet showed a great deal of detail and clarity but overall a rather bland movie. Certainly not even close to being referance.. If this was the directors intentions then fine but not impressed at all.

Watch the SciFi movie Sunshine, NOW that could be referernce. that movie was beautiful.

Yeah, Sunshine was great. I did not totally dig the ending but still a great flic

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #28 of 36 Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Thanks for the review. I missed this in the theater but always wanted to see it. Looks like a rental, due to your review. Radha Mitchell is f-i-n-e, fine!
post #29 of 36 Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Yeah, Sunshine was great. I did not totally dig the ending but still a great flic

yeah ending was a little bizarre but what a great Blu ray transfer though.
post #30 of 36 Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fell asleep twice, looked great but wow was it tough to watch.

Sunshine, now that is a great sci-fi movie! I've watched that one like 10 times.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Surrogates Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Surrogates by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page