Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Rachel McAdams, Eric Bana, Arliss Howard, Ron Livingston, Michelle Nolden, Brooklynn Proulx
Directed by: Robert Schwentke
Music by: Mychael Danna
Written by: Bruce Joel Rubin based on the novel by Audrey Niffenegger
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 9, 2010

"Love is timeless"

Film Synopsis:

Lose yourself in timeless love with this gloriously romantic story of the journey of two hearts. Artist Clare Abshire (Rachel McAdams of The Notebook) shares a deep emotional bond with Henry De Tamble (Eric Bana of The Other Boleyn Girl), a handsome librarian who travels involuntarily through time. Knowing they can be separated without warning, Clare and Henry treasure the moments they have together, imbuing them with the yearning and passion of two people imprisoned by time…and set free by love. Based on the #1 bestseller, The Time Traveler’s Wife weaves together destiny and devotion, past and future to turn an extraordinary love into an extraordinary love story.

My Take:

The time traveler’s wife is based on the novel of the same name by Audrey Niffenegger. At its heart this is a story of love and romance however it is also rooted in science fiction. Henry (Bana) has a genetic disorder that causes him to unpredictably time travel. It manifested itself during a traumatic experience when he was six and since then he jumps forward and backward relative to his own timeline. When he leaves, where he goes, or how long his trips will last are all beyond his control. His destinations are tied to his subconscious—he most often travels to places and times related to his own history. Certain stimuli can trigger Henry's time traveling but he is helpless to gain control over it. When Henry is 28 years old he meets 20 year old Clare (McAdams), at his job at the Library. He has never seen her before, however she is fascinated at the sight of him and reveals that she has known him most of her life. She invites him out to dinner and explains more to him about how they met and when. Henry cannot take anything with him into the future or the past; he always arrives naked and then struggles to find clothing, shelter and food. Clare tells Henry that they first met when she was six years old after he appeared in a field near her home where she often played. He was an adult, older than he is now and that he came to see her various times throughout her childhood. She said that the last time she saw him she was 18 years old. He explained to her that they would meet again only he wouldn’t yet know her. The two become close even though Henry frequently leaves/time travels, and eventually get married. The couple struggles with Henry’s plight but succeeds in building their relationship. When Clare becomes pregnant they make a startling discovery that forces Henry to desperately search for a cure. Henry has many unanswered questions about his life until one day during a time travel to the future he comes face to face with the person that can provide them for him.

I didn’t read the book but both my wife and daughter have. They liked the film on its face but felt that too much was left out and that the film’s ending couldn’t hold a candle to the book. They both commented on the fact that Ron Livingston was miscast as Gomez. I thought that this was an enjoyable film built around an interesting premise and I liked the mixture of romance with the sci-fi twist. It’s hard to really connect with Henry and Clare from a conventional romance perspective because they are anything but. This is probably where the film’s strength lies although it doesn’t make for a thoroughly fulfilling love story. It isn’t necessarily a feel good movie but that depends on your interpretation. It shouldn’t be mistaken for science fiction if that is your only interest as it is first and foremost a film about the complexities of love, inevitability, and loss. The Time traveler’s wife isn’t a perfect movie but I found it charming. Rachel McAdams lights up the screen and I thought that Eric Bana’s dry but credible performance accented hers. I suspect that this film will appeal more to those who have not read the book and enjoy romantic fantasy. I enjoyed my time with it and will probably read the book as it has piqued my interest.

Parental Guide:

Thematic elements, brief disturbing images, nudity, sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The time traveler’s wife comes to Blu-ray Disc from New Line/Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

This is a great looking high definition video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, strong contrast, deeply saturated colors, and lucid three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy with enhanced visual depth when onscreen with mixed content. Perspective in low lighting and darkened sequences is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable dimension. Images are dynamic, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, and perfectly suited for the source material. The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has good dynamic range and detail rich clarity that enables the detection of subtle background sounds within the acoustic environment created by the surround mix. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel which clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and tonal balance within the front soundstage. Low frequency effects aren’t often or intense but the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to appropriately convey the low level bass associated with the film’s recorded elements.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) An unconventional love story - 26 minute look behind the scenes

• (HD) The time traveler‘s wife: Love beyond words - 21 minute featurette

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc
attachment.php?attachmentid=166334&d=1265653163

Final Thoughts:

The time traveler’s wife is an entertaining genre film that is based upon the novel by Audrey Niffenegger. The unconventional nature of the love story will intrigue some and frustrate others while fans of the book will more than likely be left wanting. I found it enjoyable despite its minor shortcomings. I am happy to report that Warner has done a terrific job with its audio/video presentation on Blu-ray Disc. I was disappointed in its somewhat limited bonus supplement set but found the included features to be worth checking out (especially if you liked the film). With Valentines Day coming this will make for an appropriate gift or rental to watch with that someone special in your life. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nice review Ralph! We saw this ones at the theaters and my wife is looking forward on getting this one in BD...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #3 of 35 Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The movie was so disappointing, and I though Eric Bana kind of stunk in it. The book is one of my all time favorites though
post #4 of 35 Old 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

It's on my rental pickup list for tomorrow along with "Couples Retreat", "The Serious Man" and "The Stepfather".
My overall gut feeling is I'm going to like this movie even though it's a love and romance movie, and not a "quote" guys movie.
The good thing is I'm very diverse and don't stick with just a particular genre.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #5 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thought this was a great film! Although the ending was somewhat sad i think overall it was a very decent movie. Agree with Ralph with some of the scenes that kept me wanting more. I'd personally recommend collecting this one.

Cheers
post #6 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wife loved the book and not really the movie.

Is it just me, or is Rachel McAdams kind of hot?
post #7 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Greetings,

It is definitely not just you..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Thought this was a great film! Although the ending was somewhat sad i think overall it was a very decent movie. Agree with Ralph with some of the scenes that kept me wanting more. I'd personally recommend collecting this one.

Cheers

If you thought the movie's ending was sad, you probably shouldn't read the book (different, and much sadder ending)
post #9 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

It's definitely not you, she is hot. And I'm a sucker for red heads, being a red head myself.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #10 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM

Since when is Rachel a red head? She's naturally blonde sir.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, glad to see the chum I threw in the water got some bites.

I doubt she is naturally blonde, likely brown - her hair looks best long, waved, a hint of auburn or red with either brown or blonde... I was going to add something else but my wife, herself a good looking redhead, would not appreciate it on the off chance she ever found AVS Forum. That chance of course is directly proportional to the amount of trouble I would be in...
post #12 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

The movie was so disappointing, and I though Eric Bana kind of stunk in it. The book is one of my all time favorites though

Totally disagree with your first sentence, and after reading your 2nd i might read the book.
post #13 of 35 Old 02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
Rachel McAdams is hot!, hot!, hot!, as well as a really good actress. The shot of her rump as she exits from bed makes it worth inventing Blu-Ray. Her acting of different ages and maturity helps the offbeat fantasy succeed. Eric Bana is good in movies where his charachter name begins with "H." "Hoot" in "Black Hawk Down," "Hector" in "Troy" and now "Henry" in "Time Traveler's Wife." The movie draws you in and is very moving. Ralph's review conveys the film's strengths with objective clarity. The excellent picture and sound subtly move the tricky narrative forward. Watch it on Valantine's Day with some one you care for. It shows the value of love more profoundly than more conventional love stories.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you thought the movie's ending was sad, you probably shouldn't read the book (different, and much sadder ending)

Interesting. Would you mind e-mailing me a quick summary of the books ending version? Didn't get a chance to read the book. How much more sadder can this ending get? Geez.

Thanks in advance.
post #15 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Since when is Rachel a red head? She's naturally blonde sir.

Never said she's a natural red head.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #16 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
We ultimately enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife as well, even though the romance was forsaken for the stories novelty. It seemed like the purpose of the film was to broaden the appeal of the romance genre; instead it almost forgot what it was at heart, never focusing on, nor telling you enough about either of the two principle characters to let you connect emotionally. We were practically left confused as to who the movie was about. It seemed much more about the time traveler than his wife. But it doesn't really let you get to know either, outside of a shallow look where it's essentially relevant to explain current events. You can't connect with the film itself as sci-fi, action or any other genre either, as it only thinly conforms to any of those. And the lack of payoff regarding the time traveler's condition further left me wondering what was the point.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #17 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 14
The point is love is eternal, even if we are not. As long as I'm on the subject, Rachel McAdams is still Hot! Hot! Hot!
post #18 of 35 Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

We ultimately enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife as well, even though the romance was forsaken for the stories novelty. It seemed like the purpose of the film was to broaden the appeal of the romance genre; instead it almost forgot what it was at heart, never focusing on, nor telling you enough about either of the two principle characters to let you connect emotionally. We were practically left confused as to who the movie was about. It seemed much more about the time traveler than his wife. But it doesn't really let you get to know either, outside of a shallow look where it's essentially relevant to explain current events. You can't connect with the film itself as sci-fi, action or any other genre either, as it only thinly conforms to any of those. And the lack of payoff regarding the time traveler's condition further left me wondering what was the point.

I have to say I think this movie gets a lot of individual reaction. Strangely, I'm fond of romance movies, while my wife hates all of them. We typically watch more scifi/fantasy/superhero movies, but this was a rare movie in that it was mostly a romance, but my wife liked it. I think the scifi element helped her connect better and I daresay I connected emotionally more to this movie than usual as well.

Maybe we just hate "realistic" romance. We connect better when it's surrounded in fantasy, like this movie or Stardust or Princess Bride.
post #19 of 35 Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark View Post

Maybe we just hate "realistic" romance. We connect better when it's surrounded in fantasy, like this movie or Stardust or Princess Bride.

Or SOMEWHERE IN TIME
post #20 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons View Post

Or SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Greetings,

Absolutely one of my favorites..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #21 of 35 Old 02-12-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

Or SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I, too, loved Somewhere in Time. The young Christopher Reeve was perfect and Jane Seymour was never more beautiful. The critics were sharply divided but I enjoyed the film's romantic otherworldliness.

I got the BD of The Time Traveler's Wife at BB today but have not yet finished watching it. Based on what others have said here, I also put the book upon which the film is based on reserve at my public library. I'll report my impressions when I finish watching the movie. Based on what I have seen so far, though, I agree with Ralph's assessment that the film's video and audio are just fine but fall significantly short of reference quality.
post #22 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 04:52 AM

I found this movie quite "slow" and "hard to get into" at first. Having said that, I felt it got better as it went along, and by the end I was very moved.
Rachel McAdams is a very underrated actress. And very pleasant on the eyes too.
post #23 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Here's my mini review:

PQ: Indoor scenes a bit on the dark side with loss of detail. Colors a bit muted as well. Outdoor scenes can be very pretty but long shots lack detail as well. Good video, not great.

AQ: Dialog is excellent and well understood throughout. No LFE to speak of until some fireworks. Some surround effects for ambiance but little else. Audio, though, is suitable for this type of film.

Story: Well... A story so preposterous (and I'm giving the whole time traveling thing a chance) that I turned to my wife throughout the movie and asking, "why are we not getting into this" and "where is thing going"?

Well, it was obvious. The plot, the love story and the life this woman chooses to lead (with Eric Bana) is so ridiculous and preposterous that we thought the film may've taken a better turn if she had her head examined. Eric Bana was weak and Rachel McAdams played the equivalent of a Stepford wife. Finding a geneticist to help understand the phenomenon is another leap of faith that leads no where and so many questions remain unanswered.

No reasons for the time travel, no harkening back to the 'whys' of where he is traveling to, and a love story so impossible that it was simply insulting... I simply can't understand how this movie got made.

Was it direct to DVD?? Yes, it was that bad.

What a huge piece of crap... along with average PQ and AQ.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #24 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

The point is love is eternal, even if we are not. As long as I'm on the subject, Rachel McAdams is still Hot! Hot! Hot!

More like 'Love is blind' or 'love is stupid'...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
She got a strange, unfulfilled life marrying this guy. And that was the tragedy... Moreover, I think Rachel McAdams eluded to this in the film by implying that the older Eric Bana took advantage of her heart by his kiss and visits throughout her young, impressionable life (when they argued about the his vasectomy).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #25 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Here's my mini review:

PQ: Indoor scenes a bit on the dark side with loss of detail. Colors a bit muted as well. Outdoor scenes can be very pretty but long shots lack detail as well. Good video, not great.

AQ: Dialog is excellent and well understood throughout. No LFE to speak of until some fireworks. Some surround effects for ambiance but little else. Audio, though, is suitable for this type of film.

Story: Well... A story so preposterous (and I'm giving the whole time traveling thing a chance) that I turned to my wife throughout the movie and asking, "why are we not getting into this" and "where is thing going"?

Well, it was obvious. The plot, the love story and the life this woman chooses to lead (with Eric Bana) is so ridiculous and preposterous that we thought the film may've taken a better turn if she had her head examined. Eric Bana was weak and Rachel McAdams played the equivalent of a Stepford wife. Finding a geneticist to help understand the phenomenon is another leap of faith that leads no where and so many questions remain unanswered.

No reasons for the time travel, no harkening back to the 'whys' of where he is traveling to, and a love story so impossible that it was simply insulting... I simply can't understand how this movie got made.

Was it direct to DVD?? Yes, it was that bad.

What a huge piece of crap... along with average PQ and AQ.

Greetings,

Interesting perspective Jeff, thanks.

BTW - This wasn't direct to video..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Interesting perspective Jeff, thanks.

BTW - This wasn't direct to video..

Regards,

We wanted to like the film.

The geneticist thing was puzzling.. I couldn't think of why a geneticist would use a CT scan for anything? Blood tests, microscopy, yes.. But an energy burst during a CT scan. A CT scan wouldn't even detect such as it is not a machine designed to interpret such. It is essentially a large x-ray tube that takes photos of organic / inorganic matter - not energy..

But this is a small thing, but another hole in this story....

And why the thinking it was hereditary when neither of his parents were time travelers...?

Moreover, you never felt this 'timeless' love between them. Their whole situation seemed like more of a pain in the ass than a timeless love story.

post #27 of 35 Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ended up being a little underwhelmed by The Time Traveler's Wife. I like Eric Bana and think that Rachel McAdams is hugely appealing. Nevertheless, the movie just didn't work, at least not for me. Its science fiction aspect was intriguing but I thought that it was poorly developed in terms of the love story, which I found both puzzling and unsatisfying.

Although the novel upon which the film was based is regarded as "chick-lit" I have nevertheless placed it on reserve at my public library because so many of the critics who reviewed the movie thought highly of the novel. I just hope that I like the book better than I liked the movie.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I first saw McAdams in Mean Girls, a movie about high school teenagers. I didn't know who she was at the time, but I felt a little dirty because I thought she was quite a hot teenager. Turns out, she's thankfully not a teen at all (I thought she looked a little old for that part).

Anyways, I never heard of TtTW novel, but I did see it theatrically. It's just only a decent date-movie; mostly fiction with very little science.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #29 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or SOMEWHERE IN TIME

Quote:

Greetings,

Same here. Anybody know if it's possible to get a BR copy of this? Only have it on regular DVD.
post #30 of 35 Old 02-15-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Same here. Anybody know if it's possible to get a BR copy of this [Somewhere in Time]? Only have it on regular DVD.

According to Amazon Somewhere in Time is available only on DVD. Amazon's failure to offer a BD edition of any movie is usually conclusive evidence that it is not available on BD.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Time Travelers Wife Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page