Feature running time: 109/118 minutes
Genre: Crime thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jamie Foxx, Gerard Butler, Colm Meany, Bruce McGill, Leslie Bibb, Michael Irby, Regina Hall
Directed by: F. Gary Gray
Music by: Brian Tyler
Written by: Kurt Wimmer
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 16, 2010

"The system must pay"

Film Synopsis:

Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) is an upstanding family man whose wife and daughter were brutally murdered during a home invasion. When the killers are caught, Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx), a hotshot young Philadelphia prosecutor, is assigned to the case. Against his will, Nick is forced to offer one of the suspects a light sentence in exchange for testifying against his accomplice. Fast forward ten years. The man who got away with murder is found dead and Clyde Shelton coolly admits his guilt. Then he issues a warning to Nick: either fix the flawed justice system, or key players in the trail will die. Soon Shelton follows through on his threats, orchestrating from his jail cell a string of spectacularly diabolical assassinations that can be neither predicted nor prevented. Nick finds himself in a desperate race against time facing a deadly adversary who always seems to be one step ahead.

My Take:

I had heard good things about Law abiding citizen and seeing as I like its headlining cast I went in with fairly high expectations. The film's opening is a little graphic but necessary to set up what is to come. There is no background provided on Clyde or his family prior to this so you have to hope that the connection will come later. The same is true of the two men that force their way into Clyde's home. Darby (Stolte) is clearly the ring leader and the worse of the two from what you can glean from the short opening segment. Things move forward and the two men have been arrested for the murder of Clyde's family. Prosecutor Nick Rice (Foxx) has an unblemished record without ever having lost a case in court. He is under pressure to maintain that status and opts for a plea bargain with Darby in exchange for his testimony against his accomplice Ames. Clyde meets with Nick and expresses his desire that the case go to trial however Nick refuses stating that the burden of proof requires a settlement. The agreement is reached and Darby gets a minimal sentence while Ames goes to death row. It is obvious that Nick isn't fond of the outcome however pressures from within and time allow him to forget and move on. Unfortunately Clyde has not forgotten or moved on. Ten years goes by. Darby is out of prison and living the same putrid existence and Nick remains on top at work while his home life with his wife and daughter takes a back seat. Clyde resurfaces and those involved in his case, starting with Darby, beginning meeting grisly ends. Clyde doesn't hide the fact that he may, and I emphasis may, be involved which leads Nick and the cops to him. He is taken into custody and meets with Nick. Clyde makes it clear that in his opinion the justice system failed and corrections/adjustments need to be made. He implies that until they are bad things will continue to happen. Nick doesn't acquiesce and Clyde makes good on his promise.

To this point I felt that the film had built up a decent head of steam. Clyde was a sympathetic character with a worthy cause and the juice to back it up. Unfortunately the story takes a darker turn which derails Clyde's quest for justice and becomes more of one for vengeance even if that involved leveling the entire city. Convenience's all of the sudden become extreme and Clyde goes from sympathetic with a cause to callous with a penchant for blood. It then turns into this race against the clock good guy bad guy routine that just felt contrived. The ending is disappointing, conventional, and not consistent with the intelligence displayed by Clyde earlier in the film. I think that Law abiding citizen could have been much more had it stayed the course set by the first half. I would liked to have seen the Clyde character remain more the protagonist with a visceral edge rather than what he became. In spite of that I found the level of suspense, character interaction, and the performances by Butler, Foxx, and my main man Bruce McGill elevated this to an above average watch. Both the extended director's cut (which contains an additional ten minutes) and the theatrical cut are included. Each is on a separate BD50 with the extended version (which I evaluated) located on Disc 1 and the theatrical version on Disc 2.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody brutal violence and torture, a scene of rape, and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Law abiding citizen comes to Blu-ray Disc from Overture/Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.9 mbps.

This is a strong video presentation that is reflective of the type associated with newer release films on Blu-ray Disc. Colors appear accurate with a noticeably subdued palette that coincides with the dark subject matter. Skin tones are mildly affected by this but otherwise look fine. Images are rendered with excellent visual penetration, resolute sharpness and defining detail that is particularly striking during brighter sequences. Some of the darker scenes aren't quite as definitively resolved and appear less dimensionally convincing. Blacks are nice and deep with appreciable visibility in uneven light and shadows. Contrast is boosted slightly which overdrives some of the bright sequences. This wasn't damaging and in most instances wasn't an issue at all. There is a light veil of grain that gives the video noticeable texture but never infringes upon fidelity. I noticed one or two noisy backgrounds but this was minor and would probably be missed if not looking for it.

The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack did a great job in balancing the mix of dialogue and action based elements in the recording. I never had trouble discerning the soft spoken and interpreted dialogue used in the film. It was crystal clear and slightly forward in presentation which made it more readily discernible. Dynamic range was strong and explosions and gunfire had palpable impact and energy. This is predominantly a dialogue driven film however the surround platform is utilized to excellent effect during several action based sequences. This results in good quality sound that is both immersive and vigorous as it fills the room with a nice blend of deep bass energy and 360 degree surround quality.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Extended Director's Cut of Law abiding citizen

• (HD) Featurettes:

1. The justice of Law abiding citizen - 6 minutes
    2. Law in black and white: Behind the scenes - 15 minutes

• (HD) Preliminary arguments - Visual effects progressions (5 segments)

• (HD) The verdict - winning: trailer mash-up

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD Previews

• Disc 2:

• Theatrical Cut of Law abiding citizen

• Audio commentary - With producers Lucas Foster and Alan Siegel

Final Thoughts:

Law abiding citizen is a thriller that features good performances and plenty of potential, unfortunately the strength of the plot wanes and leaves it feeling more ordinary than rewarding. It isn't without merit though and makes for a decent popcorn flick when you're in the mood. Its high definition debut on Blu-ray from Anchor Bay HE is a strong one that offers excellent imagery and engaging lossless surround sound. The inclusion of the theatrical and extended cuts is always appreciated. The remaining bonus features aren't especially comprehensive but do offer a glimpse into the making of the film and its production. If you are already a fan feel free to pick this up otherwise I would recommend a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks Ralph!

The wife wants to see this (I am a lucky man!!) so its in que for next weekend.
post #3 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
it was a great movie, and even better if you are a lawyer
post #4 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good review!

I was pleasantly surprised about how much enjoyed this film. The ending added a nice twist to the dramatic storyline as well. This film is not a classic, but it definitely deserves a spin because it's a thrilling ride. I'll definitely be picking this one up sooner than later...
post #5 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Ralph... thanks again for a thoughful and kind review of the mix...

I was really thrilled with how the track came out and had a great time mixing it.
post #6 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I was really thrilled with how the track came out and had a great time mixing it.

Greetings,

My pleasure Marc. Well done..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Looking forward in watching this movie. Thanks Ralph!

Frank

post #8 of 46 Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Good stuff FilmMixer can't wait to hear it

Frank

post #9 of 46 Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought this was a great movie, but I wish the ending was somewhat different. I did not care for the ending that much.
post #10 of 46 Old 02-14-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the review! I missed this one in the theater, and looking forward to see it on Blu-ray.
post #11 of 46 Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I thought this was a great movie, but I wish the ending was somewhat different. I did not care for the ending that much.

I heard the same thing about the ending from people that like everything that goes straight to video

Hm I give it a go, and see what is this all about..

Djoel
post #12 of 46 Old 02-15-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

This was a great and awesome movie!!

Action sequences were great and Gerard and Fox played their roles quite well. My only issue with the story was the time line. For some reason it didn't seem possible.

Overall all i'd say this is a collect film!

Cheers
post #13 of 46 Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I found this film to be an enjoyable action packed thrill ride until the ending.
Personally I found the ending somewhat disappointing, as it was just to neat and tidy, IMO.
post #14 of 46 Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 105
We really enjoyed the movie but also didn't like the ending. Somehow, I wanted the "good guys" to change and do good. Instead, it became a kind of war where murder by the government is delivered in the story as justifiable. The story should have continued to the point that Jamie Foxx character was dethroned for his crimes. I only saw the theatrical version in the rental.
post #15 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
This movie was better then I expected. Though the plot was far fetched (aren't they all these days) it was still very enjoyable to watch for me.
post #16 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 06:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 105
Considering all the sex scandals and misc crimes by real life celebrities / politicians / police these days, I didn't think the story was far fetched at all. Even the director said they selected a city where the story could happen and be believable. Then he listed the cities like LA, NY, Chicago, Boston that were in consideration.
post #17 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post

Considering all the sex scandals and misc crimes by real life celebrities / politicians / police these days, I didn't think the story was far fetched at all. Even the director said they selected a city where the story could happen and be believable. Then he listed the cities like LA, NY, Chicago, Boston that were in consideration.

Sorry, I should have been more specific without giving a spoiler. His entry and exit from the Jail is what stuck out to me as far fetched.
post #18 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

Sorry, I should have been more specific without giving a spoiler. His entry and exit from the Jail is what stuck out to me as far fetched.

Sometimes I like it better when they leave the question marks up in the air. I kinda wish they hadn't fleshed that out and left it more of a mystery. Some of the gore scenes were brilliant on the unrated version but in the end I wish it would have finished a bit different.

Ralph, thanks for the review... this is probably one of the very rare times I don't quite agree with you PQ assessment, I would have ranked it a bit higher (low 90's maybe).

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #19 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Sometimes I like it better when they leave the question marks up in the air. I kinda wish they hadn't fleshed that out and left it more of a mystery. Some of the gore scenes were brilliant on the unrated version but in the end I wish it would have finished a bit different.

Ralph, thanks for the review... this is probably one of the very rare times I don't quite agree with you PQ assessment, I would have ranked it a bit higher (low 90's maybe).

Greetings,

No problem GK. The subjective difference between my rating and yours would be minimal at best. We both agree that it looks pretty darn good..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Watched this the other night and though it was a good flick. Actors did a very credible job. Jamie Foxx surprised me by delivering another solid performance. He seems like such a Jerk in real life that acting like a real person must be a stretch for him.

The movie came to mind again yesterday with the guy flying his plane into the IRS building in Texas. Maybe some of these extreme revenge plots aren't so far fetched these days.

Worth a rental at least. I thought the pq and aq were worthy of Blu-ray.
post #21 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

I found this film to be an enjoyable action packed thrill ride until the ending.
Personally I found the ending somewhat disappointing, as it was just to neat and tidy, IMO.

I agree. I thought it was a terrible ending considering the rest of the movie was great. I guess a lot of people are able to overlook it because its just a movie.
post #22 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM

was a highly entertaining movie, but like all Hollywood movies was very inaccurate. but still a great watch
post #23 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Agree that the ending was a off from the rest of the movie.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #24 of 46 Old 02-19-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
+1 for the ending here as well. I was disappointed as well with it.

Hopefully I won't ruin this for anyone else who hasn't seen this yet, but I think that a certain character maybe really wanted what happened in the end to really happen as it did. He was just way too smart to allow what happened to happen I think! That is my problem with it. Anyone else agree?

In looking at the ending this way, I'm ok with it somewhat.

Hopefully you guys can follow me on what I just said...

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #25 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
A different ending would have clearly been better. If this movie had a really good ending then I would give it a 5/5, but the ending put a somewhat sour taste in my mouth. Its like the directors completely lost focus of the movie and could not think of a good way to end it.
post #26 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fantastic film absolutley loved it.

Frank

post #27 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Loved it. Probably going to add it to my collection.
post #28 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Loved it. Probably going to add it to my collection.

Already have

Frank

post #29 of 46 Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 34
netflixed it Friday and went out and bought it today!

My wife was a juror in a brutal rape case. She was the only one on the panel of idiot CSI fans that felt the rapist was guilty. Unfortunately she didn't realize that she could have held out instead of acquiescing to everyone else's not guilty vote.
After the mofo was acquited of the crime the little fact that he had already agreed to plead guilty in exchange for a 20 yr sentence was revealed. This was unfortunately not admissible in the trial that my wife was involved with.

I'm not making this up.

My wife was making comments like "he's a stinkin lawyer" thru the film.
post #30 of 46 Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

+1 for the ending here as well. I was disappointed as well with it.

Hopefully I won't ruin this for anyone else who hasn't seen this yet, but I think that a certain character maybe really wanted what happened in the end to really happen as it did. He was just way too smart to allow what happened to happen I think! That is my problem with it. Anyone else agree?

In looking at the ending this way, I'm ok with it somewhat.

Hopefully you guys can follow me on what I just said...

I don't disagree with your assessment.

I thought it was good little popcorn flick, with a great picture quality.

Art
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Law Abiding Citizen Unrated Directors Cut Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page