The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 134
attachment.php?attachmentid=169319&d=1268054890
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 2009 - Stage 6 Films
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Action/Crime/Thriller
Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French(PAR)/Portuguese DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery, Billy Connolly, Clifton Collins Jr., Julie Benz, Judd Nelson, Peter Fonda
Directed by: Troy Duffy
Music by: Jeff Danna
Written by: Troy Duffy
Region Code: Free

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 9, 2010

"The brothers are back."

Film Synopsis:

The MacManus brothers are living a quiet life in Ireland with their father, but when they learn their beloved priest has been killed by mob forces, the duo return to Boston to bring justice to those responsible.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=169328&d=1268055364

For all the negative attention writer/director Troy Duffy has rightfully drawn upon himself, he does show up with the goods. 'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day' is a decent follow-up to the original. The look, sound and production are very nice as were Duffy's skills as a director. However, I think it missed the spark of the original. Ten years in the making, Troy Duffy's script unfortunately fell flat. A shorter edit would have done wonders to the pacing and over-all feel of the film. I watched it with a friend who never saw 'The Boondock Saints' and he thought it was great. I was a fan of the first film and I thought it was fun to revisit the old characters, with some nice new additions. Though for me it just was not as fun a ride and didn't live up to the original.

'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day' plot is a simple one. The McManus brothers (Norman Reedus, Sean Patrick Flanery) are being set up around the murder of a Boston priest to draw them out of hiding after 10 years of silence. Once back in Boston they begin to exact their revenge and un-peel the layers of who is truly behind the slayings and why. Even though the McManus Brothers are the main characters, they were less important and memorable in this sequel. Julie Benz (Dexter) does a commendable job as Eunice, a replacement FBI agent for the dead Paul Smecker (Willem Dafoe) of Boondock I. She is not as freaky or intense as he was, though she walks a crime scene just as he did. The most welcome addition to the cast is Clifton Collins Jr. (Star Trek) as the new hysterical sidekick Romeo. He added the comic relief and stole every scene he was in. The impressive cast also includes the always impressive Billy Connelly as the dead serious father of the McManus Brothers as well as Judd Nelson and Peter Fonda.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for bloody violence, language and some nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=169329&d=1268055381

The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27.3 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.5 mbps.

Sony never seems to disappoint with their new Release Blu-ray titles and 'The Boondock Saints 2: All Saints Day' is no exception. A Sharp, blemish free transfer, especially for a 35mm print. I didn't see much grain, only in the darker portions of the picture. There was no sign of the infamous DNR or EE that can plague a film print with that shows limited grain. Colors and detail are where this transfer stood out. Vivid and real, even in the evening scenes, Sony's transfer is so good it's like pulling teeth to not give it reference marks! The only issue I had was a bit of detail lost in shadows mixed with the slight exaggeration of grain/noise in the blacks.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound was also very fitting of Sony's track record. Bombastic and dynamic, 'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day' was an assault through my speakers. Not to say it was without its minor flaws. I didn't feel the surrounds were utilized as best they could. I also felt a sight bit lacking in the low end. Dynamics were spot on, from quite and calm to loud and furious gunfire, the mix was spot on. Dialogue was clear and upfront 99% of the time. I did have a moment or 2 where I didn't catch a few words during soft speech, and this was at almost reference levels. The front soundstage was wide and most everything going on had its own place in the mix, like it was really happening in my room. With a small additional attention to detail 'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day' would have been one of the best tracks I have heard.

* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear below the picture area *

Bonus Features:

• Filmmaker & Cast Commentaries

• (HD) Unprecedented Access: Behind the Scenes Featurette

• (HD) Billy Connelly and Troy Duffy: Unedited

• (HD) Inside the Vault: The Weapons Featurette

• (HD) The Cast Confesses: Secrets from the Set Featurette

• (HD) The Boondock Saints Hit Comic-Con

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• movieIQ

• BD-Live
attachment.php?attachmentid=169320&d=1268054890

Final Thoughts:

'The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day' is a movie that could have been better. It had some great moments, but most were at the expense of the first movie. Missing was the quirky nature that made the original an underground hit. Yet again Sony delivers us another great Blu-ray transfer and includes a hefty amount of enjoyable special features. Billy Connelly steals the spotlight in 'Billy Connelly and Troy Duffy: Unedited'. Give the special features a spin as they are better than the film! Fan's of the first Boondock Saints will enjoy seeing the McManus Brothers back in action, but will ultimately be disappointed in the long winded and not as intriguing sequel. Interested parties-- it is definitely worth seeing but this is a rental.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Greetings,

Well done Lee!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I didn't care for this film at all but really liked the first one. I wish the originals picture quality was as good as this however.

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #4 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for the advice, I just did a blind buy on the first one about a month ago and liked it, was thinking of doing the same here but after your review I'll simply rent it first.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Watched this yesterday and basically felt the same way.
Been there done that.
The first "Saints" installment was fresh and entertaining, IMO.
Unfortunately "T.B.S II" seemed like an over bloated bloodbath of the original, even with the added prominent cast members.
Still managed to find this a worthwhile rental, but by no means would ever consider owning it.
Thanks Lee for the review.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I am not as big as a fan as some other people of the Boondock Saints, but it was an ok movie. I liked the first movie better, but not nearly as much as most people. Numerous people have told me they loved this film and that its better than the first. I just don't see it.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 AM

Liked: 10
Its like Star Wars, first one good, second is flat with a cliffhanging ending, and there has to be a third one soon, not 10 years from now either, and it will probably be on a global level with some "Vatican" surprises.

Its worth buying I think, I enjoyed it quite well, it felt like a thee hour movie but wasn't boring or predictable.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr D View Post

Its like Star Wars, first one good, second is flat with a cliffhanging ending, and there has to be a third one soon, not 10 years from now either, and it will probably be on a global level with some "Vatican" surprises.

Its worth buying I think, I enjoyed it quite well, it felt like a thee hour movie but wasn't boring or predictable.

Um.....the second Star Wars is almost universally hailed as the best of the series. The Empire Strikes Back is anything but "flat"

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #9 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Why is it most of the time whenever there's a sequel it never delivers like the first one? Like what Lee said there's certain parts there were missing that were never carried on the next.

Thought this was a decent (still like the first one better) action flick. Somewhat of a sad ending. A definite rental.

Cheers
post #10 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 07:35 AM

I keep on hearing that if you liked the first on you'll like this one. Living where i do we weren't privelaged to have it in theaters. I was planning on buying, but i guess from this Ill just rent it.
post #11 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 AM

I just discovered the original Boondock Saints film about a year or so ago. I found it very funny and entertaining overall as a cult type film. However, after recently viewing the Saints II flick, I was left a little underwelmed. It's not a bad movie, but I can't say it is that good either. I think average or mediocre describes it best.

Obviously, the budget was bigger for the second film, but the sense of humor from the first film was missing. A rental is good place to start to see if this film is worthy of a purchase.
post #12 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I am one of the easiest people in the world to please when it comes to films. If it looks nice, I'll go on the ride and find something to enjoy. When it comes to the Boondock movies, I just don't get it? I honestly had a difficult time watching them. The dialog, and jokes, are just lame - to me. Also, if you're gonna do over the top exploitation - show some FEMALE nudity.

This is coming from a guy who loves the Evil Dead movies, and likes Transporter, Crank, Gamer, etc. I just could not get into Boondock Saints.

Art
post #13 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Definitly,worth renting to me.Thank for review.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know if there will be a third installment for Boondock Saints? The end of the second movie gives a major hint at there being a 3rd one.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Okay,seems of ye peeps don't get "Irish" humor but I do,I found the 2nd installment just as entertaining if not better than the first one,I look forward BDS3.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Boondock Saints Ii All Saints Day Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page