Studio and Year: Warner Bros. - 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 99 minutes
Genre: Martial Arts/Action

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Rain, Naomi Harris, Randall Duk Kim, Ben Miles, Anna Sawai, Rick Yune
Directed by: James McTiegue
Music by: Ilan Eshkeri
Written by: Matthew Sand & J. Michael Straczynski
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 16, 2010

"Fear not the weapon but the hand that wields it"

Film Synopsis:

The filmmakers behind The Matrix and V for Vendetta bring new blood to martial arts movies in this smashing adventure. Korean pop star Rain plays heroic, deadly Raizo. Trained from childhood in the way of the Ozunu Clan ninja, he is stalked by fellow warriors and their dojo patriarch (martial arts legend Sho Kosugi)…and is on the run with a Europol agent (Naomie Harris) who has proof the clan sells assassination services to governments.

My Take:

Raizo (Rain) is an orphan taken in at a young age and trained by a mythical and secret society of ninja headed by Ozunu (Kosugi). He rules with an iron fist and teaches that failure is not an option and doing so requires payment in blood. Ozunu’s tactics are brutal but ultimately effective in training his “children” to become skilled at stealth, use of weaponry, and the art of killing. Raizo shows great promise as a student but suffers his share of failure and punishment. Kiriko, (Sawai) also a trainee, sees something different in Raizo and is kind to him. She believes in the power of a good heart, senses this in him and convinces Raizo of his self worth. Over time they become close but keep their friendship a secret. Kiriko grows tired of the ways of the Yakuza and seeks to escape to the outside world and free herself. Things don’t go as planned and there are consequences for her. This results in Raizo turning on his “brothers” and separating from the clan. Fast forward several years. Mika (Harris), a forensic analyst with Europol and Europol agent Maslow (Miles) are investigating leads that point to the fact that for years, government agencies having been using ninjas to carry out high profile assassinations. The two begin poking around which draws unwanted attention and makes them targets. This sets the stage for Raizo to come out of hiding and exact his revenge on Ozunu and the clan as they close in on Mika for the purposes of ending her investigation and silencing her forever. The two team up and find themselves facing insurmountable odds that take martial arts action to blood flying, limb chopping, and incredulous new heights.

Let me state up front that Ninja assassin isn’t the type of action film that is designed to be credible. Its contrived theme, weak plot, and underdeveloped characters are clear evidence of that. What it is meant to be is an over the top martial arts spectacle designed to engage with its special effects and extended fight sequences. At this level it does succeed if you suspend disbelief and just go with it. I went in with low expectations after hearing bad things from those who had seen it. I found it entertaining from a Saturday afternoon martial arts movie perspective. Rain did a decent job and there is no denying his credibility as a martial arts lead. The blood laden special effects and large fight sequences were fun and I didn’t mind the gapping holes in the story. As you will read below it looks and sounds spectacular in high definition which helps make it more palatable. If you’re the type that normally likes guilty pleasure action flicks my advice is to grab a bowl of popcorn, check your brain at the door and enjoy the show.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and pervasive bloody stylized violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Ninja assassin comes to Blu-ray disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation from Warner that looks superb. Images are visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights its near flawless rendering of detail. The video has a three dimensional and razor sharp clarity that never left me wanting. The visual design features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically mated to the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts shades of gray, sepia, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but rendering is clean and gradationally satisfying. The deep crimson red used to depict the gallons of blood displayed throughout the film look great against the otherwise limited chromatic elements onscreen. Contrast is bold with inky blacks that have a near infinite level of depth without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the darkened streets, building interiors and unevenly lit exterior venue look stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a fairly sophisticated visual design that uses real imagery mixed with CGI. The end result is a superlative video presentation that conveys the spirit of the film.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack presented here is an impressive one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. This is an engaging and dynamically energized surround mix that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension that bass fanatics are sure to appreciate. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it reaches far into the room. It’s located just slightly in front of the left/right speakers within the acoustic space it occupies in the soundfield. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. This is a complex sound design that is loaded with various sound effects, spatial cues, music, and dialogue. Each was clearly represented with enriching clarity, detail and appropriate sound field placement.

This is a reference quality audio/video presentation that elevated the enjoyment of this action film. Those who like playing their systems at reference levels will appreciate its transient low frequency peaks, extended dynamic range and high level clarity. It superlative high definition video is demonstration worthy and features deep blacks and exquisite rendering that looked terrific on my large screen. Kudos to Warner on a job well done.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Behind the story:

1. The myth and legend of ninjas – 18 minute documentary
    2. The extreme sport of ninja – 10 minute production featurette
    3. Training Rain – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) 5 deleted scenes

• (HD) Exclusive look at the new Clash of the Titans – 5 minutes

• WB BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD + Digital Copy of Ninja assassin
attachment.php?attachmentid=169754&d=1268329520

Final Thoughts:

Ninja assassin is a martial arts action film that features a rudimentary story but packs on enough action weight to make it worthy of consideration if you are in need of a guilty pleasure/popcorn flick fix. If that isn’t enough to stir interest its presentation on Blu-ray Disc from Warner should entice those interested in showing off their systems with its reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio lossless surround sound and pristine high definition video. The included bonus features package offers a limited look at the production but is pertinent to the film’s subject and is worth checking out. This isn’t great cinema, but genre fans that can get by its weak story and appreciate it for what is, should have a decent time with Ninja Assassin on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems like a really good action movie. With emphasis on the action part. I'll buy it when the price reaches 5-9 pounds.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

it was definitely worth the $20 to take my wife to the theater for, had a great time. Will I buy it? Not until it hits $10
post #4 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM

Watched it and loved it. Be careful if you don't like a lot of gore. But overall, great action movie. Can't wait to get it on bluray.
post #5 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This sounds exactly like the kind of movie I want to kick back in the HT with on a Friday night, while the wife catches up with her episodes of Grey's Anatomy and Ugly Betty in the bedroom.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #6 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This movie reminds me of the Ninja Gaiden arcade game back in the early 90's. Looks like a great action packed flick. Audio and video makes it a must have. Thanks for the review Ralph.
post #7 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It was a great time when watched at the local cinema.Looking forward for this BD coming for tomorrow,Thanks for this nice review,Ralph.
post #8 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM

You say it looks good and its bloody. Sounds like a good time to me!
post #9 of 45 Old 03-11-2010, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to have to check this one out, however, in my Blockbuster queue it says unknown for release date. I guess its because its a Warner title and they are having issues getting titles from Warner right away maybe.
post #10 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 AM

Liked: 12
I hate to nitpick but in this phrase

"At this level it does succeed if you suspend belief and just go with it."

I think that should be "suspend disbelief"

wiki

"Suspension of disbelief or "willing suspension of disbelief" is a formula named as such in English by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge to justify the use of fantastic or non-realistic elements in literature. Coleridge suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative."
post #11 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 AM

I went to see this at the Alamo Drafthouse Theater here in Austin and in the final fight sequence the projectionist accidentally(?) turned on another projector so on the screen we had Raizo fighting Ozunu with a vintage Mr. Magoo pitching Stag Beer commercial superimposed over it. A lot of folks were screaming while I was trying to pay attention to what was going on on the screen.
We all got Rain Check passes (which I used to see Sherlock Holmes) so I'll finally get to see the films end sans Quincey Magoo.
Other than that I thought it was a great chop socky movie.

Are we having fun yet?
post #12 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnj1958 View Post

I hate to nitpick but in this phrase

"At this level it does succeed if you suspend belief and just go with it."

I think that should be "suspend disbelief"

wiki

"Suspension of disbelief or "willing suspension of disbelief" is a formula named as such in English by the poet and aesthetic philosopher Samuel Taylor Coleridge to justify the use of fantastic or non-realistic elements in literature. Coleridge suggested that if a writer could infuse a "human interest and a semblance of truth" into a fantastic tale, the reader would suspend judgment concerning the implausibility of the narrative."

Greetings,

Noted and makes sense. Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Ninja Assassin reminded me of those 1970s and 1980s Shaw Brother kung-fu movies that used to come on TV back in the day, with better special effects of course. Definitely more blood and gore too. I have several of those old martial art flicks in my DVD collection, and I still enjoy watching them from time to time. The movie Super Ninjas is still a kung-fu classic!

I really enjoyed Ninja, and I will be picking it up on blu-ray for sure.

Thanks for the review Ralph!
post #14 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
action scenes quite repetitive - dark/black contrasting with lots of splashing red blood
the audio was enjoyable
post #15 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Thanks Ralph after reading your review and a friends recommendation definitley going to buy this.

Frank

post #16 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This sounds like a decent matrial arts flick I saw "The Protector" and I liked that this looks similar to that movie, without the continuous tracking shot and the CGI elephants

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #17 of 45 Old 03-12-2010, 08:46 PM

Watched it in the theaters and I watched it again Wednesday night. The audio was amazing during the action scenes, especially the ninja stars and the picture quality was pretty good through out the movie. But yea lots of gore.
post #18 of 45 Old 03-13-2010, 10:35 AM

I will be the odd man out and say audio/video not withstanding, this movie was total rubbish.
I guess most people here haven't seen good realistic action movies.
post #19 of 45 Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardis26 View Post

I guess most people here haven't seen good realistic action movies.

Greetings,

Hardly...

Most that have commented, including yours truly, admit that this isn't great cinema. I would like to hear your definition of " good realisitc" action movies though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 45 Old 03-13-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Hardly...

Most that have commented, including yours truly, admit that this isn't great cinema. I would like to hear your definition of " good realisitc" action movies though.

Regards,

Here's several that comes to mind out of many others. Hard Target....directed by John Woo.
Apocalypto, Eraser, Predator, Letters from Iwo Jima, No country for Old Men,
Taxi Driver (a real classic).
The action in these movies are at least believable.
post #21 of 45 Old 03-14-2010, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardis26 View Post

Here's several that comes to mind out of many others. Hard Target....directed by John Woo.
Apocalypto, Eraser, Predator, Letters from Iwo Jima, No country for Old Men,
Taxi Driver (a real classic).
The action in these movies are at least believable.

Greetings,

Thanks for your reply. Your opinion is noted but not especially supported. I am a fan of all the films you mention though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #22 of 45 Old 03-14-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Hold up. Predator is realistic? I love that movie, but come on...

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #23 of 45 Old 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

Hold up. Predator is realistic? I love that movie, but come on...

Greetings,

Worse yet, Eraser? I have probably said to much already in support of this off topic discussion but I find the term "realistic action" movies to be ironic.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 45 Old 03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Worse yet, Eraser? I have probably said to much already in support of this off topic discussion but I find the term "realistic action" movies to be ironic.

Regards,

Come on, Ralph!

Every day someone falls out of a jet, barely missing being sucked into the engine, without a fully functioning parachute, lands on a car, and walks away from it.

Back to the topic: I saw NA in the theatre, and enjoyed it as popcorn entertainment. I'm glad to read that the picture quality is top notch. It was blurry and washed out in the theatre presentation - an all too common occurence lately.

Art
post #25 of 45 Old 03-15-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Wow, great to see this review. Can't wait to watch it now.
post #26 of 45 Old 03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

For an action kung fu flick this movie is awesome! I mean first of all i'm somewhat of a Sho Kosugi fan. Since he's in this film and you also have some Ninja's flying around tearing things up i'd say this is one of my favs.

Best thing about movie is majority of the scenes were shot in the dark which means the quality has to be great. Kind of reminds me of the movie Dark City.

Collect!

Cheers
post #27 of 45 Old 03-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Well, the BS has started! You can't rent this from blockbuster or netflix. The only way to watch it in the next month is to buy it, or overpay for crappy streaming from Warner Bros. I can't believe they are doing this. It's the dumbest thing ever.

Is there anyway you can refuse to review anymore Warner Bro's Movies until they change this stupid policy? Its going to suck having to wait a month after you have done the review to watch the movies.
post #28 of 45 Old 03-16-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 463
^ Huh, can you fill me in. How come it can't be rented? If the reviews are good, Warner doesn't allow them to be rented?? I don't get it.

I see this title dropping in price quite quickly once the initial rage is over. I'll wait a while anyways. Or rent it once I can
post #29 of 45 Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its for rent here in my town. Gonna get it Friday night.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM

Netflix is waiting 28 days per agreement with Warner. Plus, Warner Bro's somehow "forgot" to send out movies to rental places. Blockbuster says they expect them before the end of the month. They want you to buy the movie because they make more money that way. I called the local Hollywood video to see if they had any copies for rent. The guy told me he didn't get any movies and he is going out of business. Somehow, Walmart has several copies for sale. All of them are DVD. They don't have any blueray yet. So, the plan is to see if they can get you, not only, to buy it and not rent it, but they also want to see if they can get you to buy it twice.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page