Studio and Year: Warner Bros. - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Quinton Aaron, Kathy Bates, Ray McKinnon, Jae Head, Lily Collins
Written & Directed by: John Lee Hancock
Music by: Carter Burwell
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 23, 2010

"Based on an extraordinary true story"

Film Synopsis:

Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) knows little about family. Less about football. What the homeless teen knows are the streets and projects of Memphis. Well-to-do Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) knows little about his world. Yet when she and Michael meet, he's found a home. And the Tuohys have found something just as life-changing: a beloved new son and brother. This real-life story of family and of Michael's growth into a blue-chip football star will have you cheering with its mix of gridiron action and heartwarming emotion. Share the remarkable journey of the college All-American and first-round NFL draft pick who was a winner before he ever stepped onto the playing field.

My Take:

The Blind side is based on the 2006 book The Blind Side: Evolution of a game by Michael Lewis. This is a heartwarming film based on this true story of compassion, devotion, and love between a quiet, gentle and homeless young black man and a giving, southern, white family that opens their home and hearts to him. Michael Oher, (portrayed by newcomer Quinton Aaron) probably never got a break in his life before the day that his friends father Big Tony brought him to the Wingate Christian School in Tennessee and asked the school's football coach to give him the chance to go to school there. Michael came from poor means, a drug addicted mother, and practically lived a nomadic existence that found him taking shelter from those willing to give it. His scholastic records were poor which didn't afford him serious consideration for entry to Wingate. With the coaches influence he was accepted but the problem of having a place to stay and fledgling academics remained an issue. Through the help of a caring teacher Michael's potential is realized and he slowly begins to ascend academically. At 6'10 Michael is am imposing sight, the fact that he is essentially the only black student at the school makes him stand out even more. Michael may be physically imposing but underneath he is a gentle soul that likes children, has bona fide protective instincts for those he loves and longs for familial acceptance. His life would forever be changed the day he made the acquaintance of young SJ (Sean Junior) Tuohy, a bright, outgoing, and all around merry old soul that sees the goodness in Big Mike. SJ's mother Leigh Anne Tuohy, a no nonsense southern belle, took one look at Big Mike and decided that he was someone that needed to be shown a little kindness. She invited him to spend the night on their sofa on a rainy night when he had nowhere else to go, which led to an invitation spend Thanksgiving with them. What started out as an act of charity turns into something much more as Michael becomes part of the Tuohy family in spite of their cultural, economic, and racial differences. The bond Michael forms with the Tuohy's is an indelible one as they encourage him to excel scholastically and go out for sports, mainly football. As the family helps Michael fulfill his potential both on and off the football field, Michael leads them to some insightful discoveries that change the lives of all.

As most of you reading this know I am a sucker for feel good movies. That can only be topped by feel good movies that are based on true stories. The Blind Side is of course just such a film. This is an engaging and uplifting story about a young man that defied the odds thanks to the love and support of a family that defied the stereotypes associated with whites in the south. There is no denying its ability to elicit a range of emotions as it runs the gamut and will have you laughing one minute and teary eyed the next. Leigh Anne was most definitely the catalyst and her motherly instinct predominated but the entire family as depicted in the film played an integral role in their acceptance of Michael regardless of the social ramifications that may or may not have been associated with that. The cast does an outstanding job. Sandra Bullock's award winning portrayal of Leigh Anne is simply a pleasure to watch. Whether you are a fan or not there is no doubt that she gives the best performance of her career (and looks striking in the process). Tim McGraw was perfectly cast as Sean Sr. and played off of Bullock with credibility and sincerity. I must admit that outside of Bullock my favorite performances went to Quinton Aaron as Michael and Jae Head as SJ. Their chemistry helped to solidify the genuineness of the characters while helping to emotionally tie us to the story. This film is justly deserving of the accolades it has received. I think it successfully conveys the essence of this story via a well written script, apt direction, and superb performances by well assembled cast. I am thrilled to add it to my movie collection and look forward to revisiting it again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for one scene involving brief violence, drug and sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The Blind Side comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 mbps.

This high definition video presentation from Warner is consistent with most newer release films coming to Blu-ray and looks great. Colors are bright, with vivid primaries, and deep saturation which makes them visually pleasing. Contrast and brightness are nicely balanced which adds punch to colors and brightly lit scenes while keeping darker elements dynamic and gradational. Complexions appear rich in tonal delineation with natural highlights that look excellent in high definition. Images are crisp with stable sharpness and appreciable definition that renders plenty of subtle texture within the objects and people onscreen. The DTS-HD MA soundtrack rendered the film's elements with crystal clear intelligence and showed no signs of strident dialogue or anemic dynamics. The surrounds are appropriately engaged to add depth to the front channel presentation and provide a sense of spatial dimension during panning effects. There was little call for deep bass however the scenes that take place on the football field have palpable low frequency emphasis that resonates during instances of contact. The mix mated perfectly with the source material and presented very well.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The real Michael Oher: An exclusive interview - 10 minutes

• (HD)Acting coaches: Behind The Blind Side - 5 minutes

• (HD) The story of Big Quinton - 13 minute featurette on Quinton Aaron

• (HD) Sideline conversations with Sandra Bullock & Leigh Anne Tuohy - One on one discussion that covers:

1. Becoming Leigh Anne
    2. First meeting
    3. The Tuohy's on the set

• (HD) Sideline conversations with Director John Lee Hancock & author Michael Lewis - One on one discussion that covers:

1. Book to screen
    2. Finding The Blind side
    3. Gender identity
    4. Meeting Leigh Anne
    5. Michael Oher
    6. Miracles
    7. Sandra & Leigh Anne
    8. Why The Blind side

• (HD) 4 deleted scenes

• Bonus DVD of The Blind side - Including a Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=170135&d=1268681752

Final Thoughts:

The Blind Side is a heartwarming and emotionally stirring film based on the true story of Michael Oher, a quiet, gentle and homeless young black man and the indelible familial bond of devotion and love that occurs between him and the Tuohy's, a giving, southern, white family that opens their home and hearts to him. It is one of best films of the year and features a terrific Academy Award winning performance by Sandra Bullock and excellent supporting roles by Tim McGraw, newcomer Quinton Aaron, and young Jae Head. Warner does the film justice with a solid high definition offering on Blu-ray that includes high quality audio/video and a rewarding bonus features set that includes exclusive interviews, behind the scenes footage, a bonus DVD of the film and a Digital Copy so you can take it on the go. Not to be missed this is a must have and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Thanks Ralph, I really want to see one. I need a good cryin'

Lee

post #3 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Having not yet seen the film, I assume it glosses over the fact that the entire story is one giant NCAA recruiting violation?

That doesn't diminish anything Michael Oher has achieved, but it's pretty clear that the Tuohys' actions were at least partially motivated by their capacity as Ole Miss boosters.
post #4 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post

Having not yet seen the film, I assume it glosses over the fact that the entire story is one giant NCAA recruiting violation?

That doesn't diminish anything Michael Oher has achieved, but it's pretty clear that the Tuohys' actions were at least partially motivated by their capacity as Ole Miss boosters.

you know, they did have that in the movie and I thought it was going to be be a bigger point of contention than it was. It was slightly more than a glossing-over, which is good they bothered mentioning it. but the "resolution" to the issue was kind of cheap imo.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM

woah--
5 stars?
are you sure?
I mean that's like the rating given to all-time world classics right?
I mean it's a pretty good movie, but............
post #6 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced View Post

woah--
5 stars?
are you sure?

Greetings,

I'm sure..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 40 Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
This was a very moving movie which celebrates humanity and dosn't soft pedal problems. It isn't a crime to be boosters of a school. Schools need more of that in America these days. Ralph is right about the Blu-Ray quality enhancing this story. It's a story that will provide all who see it with a boost. My only regret is that Mr. Ohur didn't choose baseball over football. He's as big as C.C. Sabathia and probably could have thrown a mean fastball. Five stars is a good rating for a movie with a strong, positive message that is extraordinarily well made and acted. Keep giving us your honest opinions, Ralph!
post #8 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 AM

very nice story

Cesar Anthony Villas

post #9 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

This was definitely a great movie! Well played characters and like what Ralph said very heartwarming story. Sandra Bullock i thought did a pretty good job on this one and were funny in certain scenes.

This is definitely a collect!!

Cheers
post #10 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Sold !!!! first day.

Thanks for the great review Ralph.
post #11 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I was really looking forward to this review, thanks Ralph. I'm buying it and it seems Netflix has it bumped back for rental (though I suppose if one doesn't want to buy it especially that there are other rental options).

I'd say put it in your mix for March 23nd releases folks one way or another and I think you'll really like this movie, a must watch asap IMHO.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

A must own for me, and Ralph's 5 star rating makes me anxious to see it.
post #13 of 40 Old 03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It's curious to me that this movie would be released on home video when it's still in the theaters (it is in NY at least). Anyone know what the thinking there was, or was this release prescheduled not anticipating the response and that it would be around this long?

post #14 of 40 Old 03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

It's curious to me that this movie would be released on home video when it's still in the theaters (it is in NY at least). Anyone know what the thinking there was, or was this release prescheduled not anticipating the response and that it would be around this long?

Thats because it is a limited release!

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #15 of 40 Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Thats because it is a limited release!

Then if I decide to get it I'd best move soon. Even though a limited release, it's still strange to me that the video comes out while the movie is in theaters. When is the general release coming?

post #16 of 40 Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM

March 23 has been the release date on the disc from the get go. I saw it in the theater on Thanksgiving day, but it was released around Halloween. That's about the normal 5-6 month turn on theater to home video.

Oh yeah, GREAT movie! The fact it is a true story makes it incredible, as well...

I'm the player to be named later...
post #17 of 40 Old 03-19-2010, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I ordered it yesterday from Amazon, along with my first opera!

post #18 of 40 Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 AM

Couple fun facts about this movie:

Apparently, the guy this movie is based off of did not want this made.

Also, Sandra Bullock is such a bad actor. And it's not like, yea but she was really good in "Blind Side", no she was just as bad in this movie as she's been in all her other movies.

Precious, although a very depressing and hard to watch movie... at least deserved some attention. This movie, about a rich white woman helping a black kid out is inspirational to who?

They should have given an award to, Mélanie Laurent or Diane Kruger. Both were great in Inglorious Basterds. The girl from Precious would have been a more respectable pick too.

Look at profile for
info.
post #19 of 40 Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

Couple fun facts about this movie:

Also, Sandra Bullock is such a bad actor. And it's not like, yea but she was really good in "Blind Side", no she was just as bad in this movie as she's been in all her other movies.

Precious, although a very depressing and hard to watch movie... at least deserved some attention. This movie, about a rich white woman helping a black kid out is inspirational to who?

They should have given an award to, Mélanie Laurent or Diane Kruger. Both were great in Inglorious Basterds. The girl from Precious would have been a more respectable pick too.

Aside from the 1st item, the rest seem to be just opinion as opposed to "fact".

It is easy to determine a winner when looking at sporting events or poker games. Not so easy with artistic endeavors.

The Oscars are far from being above politics but Sandra Bullock did win most major awards this year for this performance. Apparently those that voted for her didn't see her other recent flicks.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-19-2010, 11:55 PM

cant wait to see this movie
post #21 of 40 Old 03-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmike15 View Post

He also stayed away from the Oscar event. I understand he is a shy and very private person, so you can understand why he wouldn't want the movie made.
post #22 of 40 Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced View Post

woah--
5 stars?
are you sure?

For me its a 3.5
post #23 of 40 Old 03-26-2010, 05:21 AM

The story was superb, but the Blu-Ray video content was very poor, unless the player I saw it on sucked. If BR isn't better than this for a new release, then I can simply go back to upscaled STD DVDs.

Video: 2.5 stars.
post #24 of 40 Old 03-27-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno Crash View Post

you know, they did have that in the movie and I thought it was going to be be a bigger point of contention than it was. It was slightly more than a glossing-over, which is good they bothered mentioning it. but the "resolution" to the issue was kind of cheap imo.

You know to me, that is what I interpreted to be the meaning of "The Blind Side". The family's complete not "seeing" how Michael's decision to play for Ole Miss could be interpreted by the NCAA. I have to admit I didn't see it coming either.
post #25 of 40 Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Saw this last night as a rental. PQ was about average. SQ didn't have much to offer beyond the front 3 channels. A bit of low end grunt in the football scenes, but that's about it.

The movie itself was better than I expected. Having lived in the South at one point, I identified with their facination with having the family involved in sports. It was not uncommon when I lived there for people to hold their boys back a year with entering 1st grade just so that they would be bigger than the other kids when they got to high school football.

Sandra Bullock was the best I've ever seen her. Kind of reminded me of Julia Roberts' Oscar winning role in that she played a tough woman with a heart of gold. Not too many emotional scenes that would stretch an actress, but hey, she was probably due based on the box office she delivered this year.

I'm not sure how much rewatch potential is here and absent of an exceptional audio visual treat, I'd recommend renting before plunking down cash.
post #26 of 40 Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Ralph, et. all, I think I had too high of hopes for this film. I had heard so many positive things about it, that I was expecting something much better.

I’m also a sucker for true life, rags to riches, or inspirational movies so I was hoping for something great. This one came close, but in the end fell a little flat. It just didn’t get that tear jerk emotion out of me.

The story was there, but something kept it from all fitting together. For me, a lot of this revolved around Tim McGraw’s performance. (sorry, I have to disagree with you on this one Ralph). He just wasn’t good, and many scenes between McGraw and Bullock were pretty uncomfortable to watch due to either the poor writing, or the poor execution by these two. I remember some of the scenes inside the Tuohy’s home to be particularly bad.

I also thought Kathy Bates (the tutor) had some poor acting as well, which surprised me given some of her great performances of the past, but overall gave an o.k. performance.

I love the story of Michael’s journey, and would still recommend this for others to watch. However, I certainly did not feel that Bullock had an Oscar performance. It was solid, but she had the best written scenes in the movie as well. It made her job much easier. Little Quinton Aaron was great, and little Jae Head stole the show.

I guess my summary would be: so much potential, which comes close to some of the great films, but unfortunately falls short.

Fortunately, this is a feel good family film that you could recommend to anyone without worrying about offending them. There are a few cuss words thrown around, mention of drugs, some drinking, and some scenes of rough inner city life, but it was necessary for the story, and easily explainable to kids if needed. For this fact alone, it makes this film highly recommendable.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 4 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5.

Dan
post #27 of 40 Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Well, you do give it a 4 out of 5, Dan and that ain't bad. On the other hand, I tend to agree with Ralph's review and comments. As for Mcgraw, he didn't have that big a role here, so he didn't stand out for me as much as he did in Friday Night Lights, but I believe he is one to watch because he has what it takes to be an interesting actor as well as a top notch country singing star.
post #28 of 40 Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It is a 4 out of 5 movie (or better), but based on what I had read and heard from others, I was expecting an easy 4.5 to 5 stars. I still enjoyed the movie a lot, but my expectations were set too high.

I'm still not sold on Mcgraw. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't good either. He stood out to me as the weak link, but he didn't have a huge roll either like you said. I look forward to seeing McGraw in future films to see how he fairs.

Dan
post #29 of 40 Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Knowing the Michael Oher story from last year's draft, I thought this film was going to be a letdown. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I liked both Bullock and McGraw in this film.

Regarding the NCAA boosters bit. To me, I don't care if that was the family's intentions from the get-go or not, they helped turn that kids life around. I don't think it was their intention, but as I said, I personally don't care if it was (and I doubt Michael Oher would care either).

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #30 of 40 Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Finally got around to watching this one a few days ago. Great movie. My impression reflects Ralph's findings quite closely.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Blind Side Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page