Studio and Year: Disney/Pixar - 1999
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 92 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital EX 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Annie Potts, Don Rickles, John Ratzenberger, Jim Varney, Wallace Shawn, Laurie Metcalf, R. Lee Emery, Joan Cusack, Kelsey Grammer, Wayne Knight
Directed by: John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich, and Ash Brannon
Music by: Randy Newman
Written by: John Lasseter, Pete Doctor, Andrew Stanton, Ash Brannon
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 23, 2010

"You’ve got a friend in me"

Film Synopsis:

While Andy is away at summer camp, Woody is toynapped by Al McWhiggin, a greedy collector who needs Andy's favorite toy to complete his “Woody’s Roundup” collection. Together with Jessie (voiced by Joan Cusack), Bullseye, and the Prospector, Woody is on his way to a museum where he'll spend the rest of his life behind glass. It's up to Buzz, Mr. Potato Head, Hamm, Rex, and Slinky Dog to rescue their friend and remind him what being a toy is all about.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170546&d=1269005538

I can clearly recall being very skeptical when I heard that there was going tot be a sequel to Toy story. I couldn’t help but feel, how could they possibly top the original? Well, as most of you reading this know, Toy story 2 is every bit as good as the original, and in the opinion of many is slightly better. I don’t feel that it is so much a better film but its broader, more emotionally stirring, and multi-dimensional story gives it a bit more depth. As I said in my review of Toys story, “ it has the ability to touch audiences at both the adult and child levels. It stimulates our imaginations while integrating thematic elements that relate to real life experiences/feelings of devotion, teamwork, friendship, insecurity and love. It is easy to be drawn in by its captivating charm, intelligent wit, and heartwarming innocence. Toy story 2 is filled with well constructed characters and cleverly infused dialogue that make it fetching and fun.

The addition of Jessie, Bullseye Stinky Pete, and Al along with the challenges of leaving Andy’s room and venturing into the city prove rewarding in more ways than one. As an adult this is the first animated film that brought tears to my eyes. "When She Loved Me" - performed by Sarah McLachlan: Used for the flashback montage in which Jessie experiences being loved, forgotten, and ultimately abandoned by her owner, Emily still gets to me. As a Star Wars fan I appreciated the reference between Buzz and Zurg. Buzz gets the opportunity to take the lead during the rescue and winds up teaching Woody a lesson in practicing what you preach. Rex, Potato head, Hamm, and Slink also get the chance for more involvement and it pays off big time. There is a tender side involving the relationship between Jessie, Woody, and Bullseye. I think this is conveyed appropriately and with the right amount of emphasis so that it doesn’t overshadow the film’s focus. Ultimately it proves to be Woody and Buzz that save the day. Theirs is an enduring friendship that serves as the very foundation that supports those around them. Everyone reprises their roles from the first film and the new cast members, Kelsey Grammer, Joan Cusack, and Wayne Knight, do a terrific job and seem perfectly mated to their respective characters. Each has their moment to shine and does so convincingly. I love these films and find them as entertaining as ever. Like I said in my review of Toy story: “ Toy story 2 may not have the flash of some of Pixar’s newer efforts but it’s an endearing, timeless and classic animated film that can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next. Thank you to Disney/Pixar for bringing it to Blu-ray with tender loving care as it looks and sounds spectacular in high definition.

Parental Guide:

This is a family film that can be enjoyed by all.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699
attachment.php?attachmentid=170547&d=1269005538

Toy story 2 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Pixar featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 mbps.

This presentation on Blu-ray looks every bit as good as Toy story’s and has nearly identical attributes. Colors appear to be a bit more refined. This has nothing to do with the encoding and appears innate to the film’s original elements. I also noticed reflections, an effect that I didn’t see used in the first film. During the sequence in the toy store as Buzz runs through the isles his reflection is visible in the shiny tile floor. Similar to Toy story on Blu-ray the results here are sublime. Here are my comments regarding the video quality of Toy story with any additional comments highlighted in bold:

This is a reference quality high definition presentation that delivers flawless imagery. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated elements. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. I couldn’t get over the depth of the beautifully rendered colors. Colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy and succulent textures that literally leap off of the screen. Primaries are particularly striking and exhibit visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them not only in size and shape color as well. Blacks are inky with extended dynamic range and deep gradational highlights. The dark and shadow filled confines of the heating ducts in Al’s building as well as the scenes that take place in the elevator shaft, and Zurg’s lair during the film’s opening exhibit a near infinite level of dimension, with superb contrast and visible shading that drew out lots of detail. I was blown away by this high definition presentation and never seen this film look this good, theatrically or otherwise.

Like Toy story the DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound on this disc is reference quality. However, this soundtrack has more of an aggressive mix and features low frequency effects and extended dynamics that frequently produce deep, demonstrative bass that attains room shaking levels. The film’s opening sequence is an aurally stimulating treat that serves as a precursor for what you can expect. As good as Toy story sounds, this one bumps it up a notch which in my opinion nets it a perfect technical rating. Here are my comments from my review of Toy story as most apply here as well. Any additional comments are highlighted in bold:

This lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack improves upon the lossy Dolby Digital version in every way. This is not action style sound mix but its ability to deliver an engaging home theater experience is not to be underestimated. This animated film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. A great example of this occurs in the scene where Buzz, Rex, Slink, Potato head, and Hamm cross the busy highway. This creates an immersive, active and involving soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to room energizing dynamism. The sequence where the large concrete culvert pipe rolls off of the truck toward Potato Head (when he is under the cone during the highway crossing) sounds awesome. Low frequencies underscore sound effects and reinforce the dynamic impact of the audio. Response is authoritative, clean and on occasion prodigious as it fills the room with deep, tactile, low level bass energy. Randy Newman’s emotive and wonderful music score takes center stage often as it is broadcast over the entire system with high level detail with smooth, strident free treble. I found this to be a superlative mix that creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that all of the elements inherent in the recording can be realized.

This reference quality high definition audio/video presentation from Disney/Pixar offers breathtaking video and magnificent lossless sound that is awe-inspiring. Disney continues to raise the bar by offering Blu-ray releases of the highest order. As an enthusiast and fan I tip my hat to them.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Toy story 3 sneak peek – 2 minutes

• Filmmaker’s commentary

• (HD) Buzz Lightyear mission logs: International Space Station – 3 minute featurette with real footage/info on the space station

• (HD) Paths to Pixar: Technical artists – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Studio stories: Toy story 2 sleep deprivation lab, Pinocchio, The movie vanishes – 6 minutes of fun stories as told by crew

• (HD) Pixars’ Zoetrope – 2 minute documentary on Pixar’s implementation of the Zoetrope

• (HD) Celebrating our friend Joe Ranft – 12 minute dedication piece

• Classic DVD Bonus features:

1. Making Toy story 2 – 8 minute featurette
    2. John Lasseter profile – 3 minute featurette
    3. Cast of characters – 3 minute featurette
    4. Toy box – 5 segments including outtakes, gag spots, autographed pictures and more
    5. 3 deleted scenes
    6. Design – galleries
    7. Production – 6 segments including production tour, special effects, and more
    8. Music and sound
    9. Publicity – Trailers, TV spots, character interviews and more

• Bonus DVD of Toy story 2 Special Edition including Bonus content

• Disney BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=170548&d=1269005538

Final Thoughts:

Toy story 2 has the distinction of being a sequel that equals (or betters, depending on your opinion) its predecessor which in this case is quite an accomplishment. Disney/Pixar is at their finest as it features a multi-dimensional theme that includes memorable new characters, and a broader, emotionally stirring story that proves very rewarding. Toy story 2 is a marvelous family film that has an endearing charm and entertaining story that people of all ages can appreciate. Disney continues to impress with their technically proficient Blu-ray offerings that yield high quality audio/video presentations that fans and enthusiasts are sure to appreciate. Disney has included new bonus supplements as well as the previously released extras. The new features don’t add much however the original content is quite good and stands well enough on its own. A standard definition DVD of Toy story 2 special edition and BD-Live access round things out. Toy story 2 on Blu-ray is a must have that makes for an outstanding addition to every Blu-ray collection. Highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cant wait to get this

Blu-Ray = GOD
post #3 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 351
I look forward to purchasing this classic. I was a kid when the first movie debuted, and now i'm an adult professional with very fond memories of seeing both movies in the cineplex. This movie, as well as its predecessor were bound for my collection as soon as I heard they were being released. Excellent review.
post #4 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
100! Hot damn, another pause button fest it would appear and I don't care how long it takes me to watch and listen to it to tell the truth.

A special thanks Ralph for getting to these before release, much appreciated! BTW, you are on a roll!
post #5 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Wow, perfect score! If this film looks and sounds this good I can only imagine what the Blu Ray version of "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" will be like.
post #6 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
The DVD version of "TS2" looked and sounded awesome on my HT system, so I can only imagine how much better the video and audio is on blu-ray.
Sold my entire DVD collection a couple of years ago and will actually purchase this blu-ray as a reference quality disc.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #7 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Glad to hear these turned out so great, but did anyone expect any different?

Looking forward to watching these and can we PLEASE get The Incredibles!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
May I know why the older PIXAR flicks sound better than the new ones?

Blu-ray : 340
post #9 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Collect!!

Cheers
post #10 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is there a difference between the 3 disc BR and the single besides the standard dvd and digital copy discs? I think some other movies (Old Dogs or Princess & Frog?) had some minor differences in extras.

Looks like there is only the combo version. I was thinking that the $19.99 sale price I saw in Frys ad was for a single disc since the same price was for single Princess and Frog.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #11 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

The opening scene with Buzz and Zurg's lair has always been an absolute favorite of our entire family. Can't wait until Tuesady!!

Jeff
post #12 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Greetings,

No idea. I just call them as I "hear" them lgans316.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #13 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, a perfect score. I can't wait to pick 1 & 2 up next week.

Live/PS3: NovembersChopin
post #14 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
100? A perfect score? I expected nothing less. Thanks, Ralph!
post #15 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
Dang Ralph now you are starting to choke me up with these reviews. Fond memories indeed.
post #16 of 66 Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
waiting for first, deals awaited for second
post #17 of 66 Old 03-20-2010, 12:47 AM

I cant wait till i get my hands on this one! Will go great to my new Blu Ray collection!!!
post #18 of 66 Old 03-20-2010, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Definitely in on Toy Story 1 and 2.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #19 of 66 Old 03-20-2010, 09:44 AM

I really want to buy these for my daughter but does anyone know if there's going to be a 3 pack for sale this holiday? It would seem to make sense - do it up right and they could charge a hundred bucks for it (which I would gladly pay!). nice review!
post #20 of 66 Old 03-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miked2023 View Post

I really want to buy these for my daughter but does anyone know if there's going to be a 3 pack for sale this holiday? It would seem to make sense - do it up right and they could charge a hundred bucks for it (which I would gladly pay!). nice review!

Nobody knows except for maybe the people at Disney and they are not saying. But I would say it is a good bet that it could happen. Since I know it has been metntioned on some of the other sites that these discs donot contain all the extras that were in the Toy Box set.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for theirs.
General George Patton
post #21 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

That's a good question.
post #22 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

Great review, thanks!

This was what I expected but with Toy Story 3 on the horizon with what I am sure will be a fast tracked BR release, I'll wait for the trilogy box set.
post #23 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Damnit, I can't spend money and this has to happen!!!!!! Been waiting too long for these on blu, HAVE to buy.
post #24 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

Great review, thanks!

This was what I expected but with Toy Story 3 on the horizon with what I am sure will be a fast tracked BR release, I'll wait for the trilogy box set.

I don't get this......with the decent prices that are coming out and the $10 coupon that you can get.........the price would be hard to pass up for a movie getting a 100 score rating! IMO this a no brainer getting this on Tuesday. This a why I bought my 151 and Monitor Audio GS system . I can't wait to watch this!
post #25 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Ralph:

Great review. I, however, will save my pennies for the TS1,2,3D box set.

To many double dips on the Disney/Pixar relases for now.

LD
DVD
BD 1/2 only then 3 separately?

Nope - I am going to wait for the full set 3 pack.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #26 of 66 Old 03-21-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB View Post

I don't get this......with the decent prices that are coming out and the $10 coupon that you can get.........the price would be hard to pass up for a movie getting a 100 score rating! IMO this a no brainer getting this on Tuesday. This a why I bought my 151 and Monitor Audio GS system . I can't wait to watch this!

Seriously? What's not to get. I know that I would prefer the trilogy box set and can sit on my SD copies of the first two films for another six months. Why waste the money?
post #27 of 66 Old 03-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Fo me, I think this is a first Bluray movie with a perfect 100 score that I noticed. Wow, Disney is doing amazing job in getting me to spend the money. Great job as always Ralph.
post #28 of 66 Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Definite collectible...

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #29 of 66 Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
why 1.78, WHY!!!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #30 of 66 Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM2008 View Post

Fo me, I think this is a first Bluray movie with a perfect 100 score that I noticed. Wow, Disney is doing amazing job in getting me to spend the money. Great job as always Ralph.

ralph has given 1 or 2 other 100's, KFP comes to mind.
I really respect ralph's opinion, specifically regarding PQ and AQ. Seeing this getting a 100 makes me excited to watch it.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Toy Story 2 Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray Dvd Combo W Blu Ray Packaging

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page