Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 87 minutes
Genre: Animtion/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Cantonese, Mandarin
Starring: Voices of: George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon, Owen Wilson, Bill Murray
Directed by: Wes Anderson
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Wes Anderson & Noah Baumbach - Adapted from the book by Roald Dahl
Region Code: 1

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 23, 2010

"And so it begins"

Film Synopsis:

In there-imagined classic family tale, Mr. and Mrs. Fox live a happy home life with their eccentric son Ash (Jason Schwartzman) and visiting nephew Kristopherson. That is until Mr. Fox slips into his sneaky, old ways and plots the greatest heist the animal world has ever seen. When mean old farmers Boggis, Bunce and Bean join forces to surround Mr. Fox and his family, they don’t realize they are not dealing with any old fox – it’s Fantastic Mr. Fox and he has a fantastic master plan to save the day!

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171147&d=1269448419

Adapted from the beloved children’s book by of the same name by Roald Dahl Fantastic Mr. Fox follows the misadventures of Mr. Fox, his wife Felicity, their son Ash, and nephew Kristofferson after Mr. Fox’s pilfering from three local farmers sets off a fervent search for him that ultimately comes to affect not only his family but many of the animals that commune in the area. The story begins with Mr. Fox (George Clooney) leading his wife Felicity (Streep) on a raiding mission of a squab farm when the two become caged in a trap set by the farm’s owner. Felicity reveals to Fox that she is pregnant and pleads with him to find a safer job should they escape. Two years later, the Foxes and their sullen son Ash (Jason Schwartzman), are living in a hole. Fox, now a newspaper columnist, decides to move the family into a better home in the base of a tree, ignoring the warnings of his lawyer Badger (Bill Murray). The tree is adjacent to three large farming facilities run by Walter Boggis, Nathan Bunce, and Franklin Bean. Soon after the Foxes move in, Felicity's nephew Kristofferson comes to live with them after his father has fallen ill. Ash finds this situation intolerable since seemingly everyone, including his own father, mentions the fact that his easy going and meditating cousin, is apparently superior to him in every way imaginable. Living so close to the three farms Fox finds temptation to great, and devises a master plan to steal from each of them but keeps it from Felicity. He enlists the help of an opossum, Kylie, the local maintenance guy and resident worrywart. The plan successfully comes off in three stages however the farmers, angered by the theft, call a meeting and come with up their own plan, which is to get rid of Mr. Fox by digging him out. As the farmers onslaught begins, the Fox’s tunnel their way underground and escape. In the process they run into Badger, and many of the other local animal residents whose homes have also been destroyed during the siege.

As the animals begin to fear starvation, Fox leads a digging expedition to the three nearby farms, robbing them clean of Boggis' chickens, Bunce's ducks and geese, and Bean's turkeys, apples, and alcoholic cider. In the meantime Ash and Kristofferson come up with the idea of breaking into Bean's farm, intending to reclaim Fox's tail (which had been shot off by Bean during the farmers initial attempt to kill Mr. Fox), only to find that Bean has taken to wearing it as a necktie. When they are interrupted by the arrival of Bean's wife, Ash escapes but Kristofferson is captured. The animals are forced to retreat into the sewers when the farmers flood their hiding place with cider, and Fox learns that the farmers plan to use Kristofferson as bait to lure him into an ambush. Mr. Fox will have to devise a master plan capable of saving the day and proving he is indeed Fantastic!

I enjoyed this film and loved the stop motion animation which truly is an amazing art form. Director Wes Anderson’s passion for the book, its author and the story is clearly evident. I think he captures the spirit of both very well by conveying it using a medium that helps to stimulate the imagination. It features a terrific cast of Hollywood notables headlined by George Clooney and Meryl Streep and includes contributions by Owen Wilson, Michael Gambon, Bill Murray, and Willem Dafoe. The film was nominated for Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score, was a nominated for 2010 Critics Choice Awards for Best Animated Feature, and a Golden Globe Award for Best Animated Feature Film[23]. It ultimately lost all the nominations to Disney’s Up. Fantastic Mr. Fox makes for great family entertainment and looks splendid in high definition on Blu-ray from Fox.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for action, smoking, and slang humor.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Fantastic Mr. Fox comes to Blu-ray from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.6 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=171145&d=1269448419

This is an excellent video presentation that boasts visually enticing imagery that looks great in high definition. Fantastic Mr. Fox on Blu-ray offers beautifully crafted stop motion animation that exhibits eye catching resolution and refined clarity. The shading and lighting used results in a dimensionally strong presentation that doesn’t exhibit dynamic contrast or deep penetrating hues. Colors utilize a limited and softer palette that is most decidedly a stylistic choice that mates well with the source in a satisfying way. Golden splashed highlights, sepia tones and beiges make up the majority of the color base with various stages of gray is used in various stages in both objects and backgrounds. Blacks are punchy and appear deep when onscreen with mixed content. Detail in shady areas and darkly lit backgrounds are excellent which enhances visual perspective in dim lighting. This is a pristine and visually engaging high definition presentation that looked amazing on my large screen. The lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack is solid as well. Dynamics are defining without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with refined clarity and revealing tonal character that has deep room penetration. The presentation has a frontal perspective with a diffused soundstage and well articulated detail. There is occasional use of discrete and spatial surround activity that adds depth to environmental sounds and provides front channel extension that broadens the sound field. Bass response wasn’t room filling but it appropriately supported the source elements and provided a tight, occasionally tactile low end.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Making Mr. Fox fantastic (5 segments totaling 43 minutes) :

1. The look of Mr. Fox
    2. From script to screen
    3. The puppet makers
    4. Still life (puppet animation)
    5. The cast
    6. Bill (Murray) and his Badger

• (HD) A beginner’s guide to Whack-bat

• (HD) Fantastic Mr. Fox: The world or Roald Dahl – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD of Fantastic Mr. Fox

• Bonus Disc – Digital Copy of Mr. Fox
attachment.php?attachmentid=171146&d=1269448419

Final Thoughts:

Wes Anderson’s film adaptation of Roald Dahl’s beloved children’s book Fantastic Mr. Fox successfully draws fans into the wondrous world of his characters and brings them to life using beautifully crafted stop-motion animation that makes for a visually stimulating experience in high definition. The bonus supplements will be more appealing to adult fans than kids as there is little offered for younger viewers to be enticed by. As always I appreciate the inclusion of both a digital copy and standard DVD versions of the film. Fantastic Mr. Fox is good family entertainment that presents extremely well in this Blu-ray offering from Fox. Recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Watched this last night as a rental and found it to be thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable.
As much as I found this film entertaining I personally consider this more a rental. JMO.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
great movie, wish i could watch it on my projector! I need more scope! and not the breathmint stuff

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #4 of 17 Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Liked: 10
Rented it last night on the way home from work at Blockbuster.
Better in Blu-ray than at the theater.
XLNT picture and wonderful sound.
Unfortunately only one disc when you rent it so no bonus material
BTW I remarked that "Toy Story 1 & 2" should have been released but I didn't see any on the shelf and the manager said "We've got them for sell but none for rent?".

Are we having fun yet?
post #5 of 17 Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Is it just me or did some parts of this movie look very creepy on Blu-ray. Some of the close ups of the foxes looked kind of scary (just a little). Sometimes it almost looked to where as the fox was going to come out of the screen and eat you alive.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 AM

This is easily in my top 20 animiated films of the last 20 years. In no order:

1. Toy Story
2. Toy Story 2
3. Monsters Inc
4. Finding Nemo
5. Ratatouille
6. Up
7. Kung Fu Panda
8. Wall E
9. Shreck
10. Spirted Away
11. Princess Mononoke
12. Ponyo
13. Castle in the Sky
14. Lion King
15. Beauty and the Beast
16. Little Mermaid
17. Aladdin
18. Waltz with Bashir
19. South Park the Movie
20. FANTASTIC MR Fox

Along with Southpark the Movie, Mr. Fox made me laugh the hardest of all the above on a consistent basis. I'm honestly not even that big on Wes Anderson and wasn't expecting much when I saw this preview, but thought it was AMAZING on all levels! Pretty hot top 20, huh?
post #7 of 17 Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Liked: 31
Great review King Potts...just wondering if the movie The Fourth Kind was
in the works ?

Thanks for all you do ~

Dave in VA.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthesnake7 View Post

Pretty hot top 20, huh?

The Incredibles doesn't make it?
post #9 of 17 Old 03-30-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Actually, it took a day or two for this one to soak in as to whether I liked it or not..but I'll be adding it to my collection along with Astro Boy. Both were enjoyable and rewatchable.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Normally don't comment on this forum, but had to add my family's thoughts on this film. We have a 4 year old girl, 8 year old boy and 9 year old boy. None of my kids enjoyed this film and actually turned it off after about 30 minutes. It didn't hold their interest. My wife and I didn't actually care for it either.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-30-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyone View Post

Normally don't comment on this forum, but had to add my family's thoughts on this film. We have a 4 year old girl, 8 year old boy and 9 year old boy. None of my kids enjoyed this film and actually turned it off after about 30 minutes. It didn't hold their interest. My wife and I didn't actually care for it either.

Me neither. I turned it off.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
some movies take longer than 30 minutes to get good. some movies are only good the last 1/4th!

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #13 of 17 Old 04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

cuss cuss whistle!
post #14 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyone View Post

4 and 7 year old girls, both loved it and wanted to watch it again.
I liked it a lot too. Found it genuinely humourous but not quite in the league of Wallace & Gromit or Toy Story.

The human puppets were eerie!

Red-3 Standing By...

My Blu Heaven! Home Theatre Pics
Sony VW40 1080p FP Screenshots
post #15 of 17 Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM

I absolutely, positively loved it.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-21-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I did not like this movie. I watched it with my wife and kids, 7 and 10. We all kept wondering when it was going to get funny/interesting.

Too highbrow for us I guess.

Tim

He drove a black and white pirate ship at 190 mph.
- Dale in the #3 will never be forgotten. Thanks for the memories.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am aware that this is an old thread....but I JUST watched this movie (twice actually) and completely fell in love with it.
If there are any people out there that enjoy quirky type humor, I strongly suggest you give this movie a shot!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Fantastic Mr Fox Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page