Sherlock Holmes (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 73 Old 05-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the great review Ralph! I loved this movie in the theater. Good to know it's even better the second time around on Blu-ray. Am especially looking forward to hearing this one on DTS-HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post

Thanks for the great review Ralph! I loved this movie in the theater. Good to know it's even better the second time around on Blu-ray. Am especially looking forward to hearing this one on DTS-HD.

Greetings,

You're welcome oakleaf. Be sure to post back once you have seen it in Blu..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #63 of 73 Old 05-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Liked: 16
I thought this was great movie. I enjoyed Guy Ritchie's brass and idiosyncratic Holmes along with the straight laced Watson. Some of the dialogue was rapid fire, but nothing to the effect where you couldn't keep up the gist of the conversation.

And the DTS HD MA soundtrack is top notch. Probably one of the top 10 Blu-ray soundtracks on my list. There is tremendous LFE in this movie that rivals Cloverfield BD and T2 Salvation, at least in my opinion. Just the street scenes was incredibly immersive in surround sound department. And the scene where Holmes first started first started firing his piston off stage was a very interesting sound effect. It made it sound like there was deep bass coming from my tiny Polk SL + SR surround speakers . That was unique and and a very impressive sound effect. From the opening scene with the carriages coming into the screen you had incredible LFE. And, of course, all the fight scenes. The shipyard scene was my favorite. About 90% of this soundtrack is reference grade demo material. This is one of the very few times where I disagree with Ralph's Audio score assessment. I would have rated this Audio track at 99 - 100.
post #64 of 73 Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Wow, I'm surpised almost everyone liked this film. It took me 4 days to get through watching it. I just thought it was mind-numbingly boring.
post #65 of 73 Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Late to the party

Saw this last night and came here this morning to check out the review. Specifically I was interested in the audio portion. The surround sound portion and the lower frequencies were fantastic (I thought). The flies buzzing around us the subwoofer taking down the house was all greatly done.

Like everyone else som issues with following some of what Downey was talking about. Wasn't to crazy about the movie as a Sherlock Holmes movie as it was "to modern and less about being a detective than I am used to". Definately set up sequels and I liked the movie overall so will see those.

Thanks for a trusted source to check reviews even if it is after the fact as I often do...

Oh video -- overall good didn't like the opening sequence as on 1-2 of those cuts I was wondering if my PS3 was sending me an upconverted picture..... it got better

Adler -- well played up until the very end. The last 1-2 scenes with her I really didn't like her acting - not sure why
post #66 of 73 Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

Late to the party

Saw this last night and came here this morning to check out the review. Specifically I was interested in the audio portion. The surround sound portion and the lower frequencies were fantastic (I thought). The flies buzzing around us the subwoofer taking down the house was all greatly done.

Like everyone else som issues with following some of what Downey was talking about. Wasn't to crazy about the movie as a Sherlock Holmes movie as it was "to modern and less about being a detective than I am used to". Definately set up sequels and I liked the movie overall so will see those.

Thanks for a trusted source to check reviews even if it is after the fact as I often do...

Oh video -- overall good didn't like the opening sequence as on 1-2 of those cuts I was wondering if my PS3 was sending me an upconverted picture..... it got better

Adler -- well played up until the very end. The last 1-2 scenes with her I really didn't like her acting - not sure why

Greetings,

You're very welcome and it's never too late to jump in with your impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #67 of 73 Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Id like to point out that the back of the case says 1.85 and its not.the movie displays at 1.78. MY samsung is set so it displays any bd movie [fit to screen]at the right ratio.If it was 1.85 i would have very thin big bars at the top and bottom. The studio must have opened up aspect ratio as noted by other reviewers.
post #68 of 73 Old 06-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Late to the party, too... WITH A QUESTION!

We got this from Netflix and the audio was AWFUL. I tested a bunch of other discs, and all were fine. Even the trailers on the disc were fine, but the film itself was front audio only; maybe even stereo?

Does the rental version have crippled audio? Did I get a poorly authored disc? Gotta be honest, I'm 99.99% sure it wasn't user error as i am in no way shape or form a newbie, and everything else worked JUST FINE.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Play nice. It's just an online forum :)
post #69 of 73 Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

Late to the party, too... WITH A QUESTION

Does the rental version have crippled audio?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Nope... the rental disc I got from netflix appeared to have the same DTS-HD MA stream and sounded just fine... did your comparison discs have the same DTS-HDMA codec on them?
post #70 of 73 Old 10-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Liked: 16
another great review. as i typ this im watching it right now. so far im liking the movie,
very entertaining and robert is doing a fine job. the rental does cary the dts audio fyi
post #71 of 73 Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM

Liked: 11
Rented last night; was too distracted to really follow it closely frankly. Too many phone calls, etc. Anyway, yeah, I was a little bummed by the muted/sepia color palette as well, but noted that not every single scene had the same sepia tone – some were a bit more colorful than others. It did have some subtle color variations in it that were cause to maybe pay a little closer attention to take notice of them. Sound was really good; I agree with that as well.

I think if I weren’t distracted that I might have enjoyed it a lot more. I felt like it had a sort of quick pace aligned with the Sherlock Holmes wit that if you let too much get passed you then you wound up a little lost by it. If that makes any sense.
post #72 of 73 Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Showed both this and its sequel to my sweetie, who generally does not like action films but has read all the Holmes stories.

She loved the films and said that she now wants to see Downey's Chaplin.

My best friend had the same reaction, calling Downey's Holmes "a pest" - which is one of his highest terms of praise.

I've decided that they need to see some real Chaplin films first. (They've never seen any.)

Any of those out on Blu-ray? (I have a box set of DVDs that includes The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator.)

post #73 of 73 Old 05-03-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

Showed both this and its sequel to my sweetie, who generally does not like action films but has read all the Holmes stories.

She loved the films and said that she now wants to see Downey's Chaplin.

My best friend had the same reaction, calling Downey's Holmes "a pest" - which is one of his highest terms of praise.

I've decided that they need to see some real Chaplin films first. (They've never seen any.)

Any of those out on Blu-ray? (I have a box set of DVDs that includes The Gold Rush, City Lights, Modern Times, and The Great Dictator.)

Greetings,

Phil, I am not sure about Chaplin films out on Blu-ray however I have seen Downey's Chaplin and his performance is terrific.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page