Studio and Year: Warner Bros. - 2009
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Mark Strong, Eddie Marsan
Directed by: Guy Ritchie
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: Michael Robert Johnson, Anthony Peckham, Simon Kinberg
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 30, 2010

"Nothing escapes him"

Film Synopsis:

The game is afoot – and astounding! Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law put memorable imprints on the roles of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in a bold reimagining that makes the famed sleuth a daring man of action as well as a peerless man of intellect. Guy Ritchie directs this dazzling adventure.

My Take:

I saw Sherlock Holmes last year during its theatrical run and walked away from it having a lukewarm reaction to both the film and its audio/presentation. I wasn’t especially looking forward to watching it again but since I didn’t dislike it originally and I recalled enjoying seeing Downey and Law together I figured another viewing might make a different impression on me. As it turns out I was right. The second time around this was a more memorable and enjoyable film. Thinking back my only real experience with Sherlock Holmes prior to this was watching Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce portray Holmes and Watson on TV reruns hen I was a child. I actually enjoyed those old serials and found the characters and stories fun to watch. Not unlike them this reinvention of Holmes/Watson features a whodunit/mystery with a black magic type spin that requires Holmes superior powers of deduction and the capable assistance/muscle of Dr. Watson in order to spare the lives of the members of Parliament and stop the evil Lord Blackwood. A strong female character in Irene Adler is introduced into the fold. Her presence helps to muddy the water while providing a romantic interest for Holmes. I appreciated the sort of up to date take on the relationship between Holmes and Watson. Watching Holmes’ masterful and endearing manipulation of Watson and their seemingly irreverent banter proves gratifying and entertaining as Downey Jr. and Law pull it off skillfully. The screenplay has a slick swashbuckling overtone that helps drive the story without making it feel campy. There is a wonderfully infectious air of humorousness that never feels inappropriate thanks to Downey’s superlative timing and onscreen charm. Jude Law and Rachel McAdams are perfectly cast and seamlessly integrate with their characters while playing off of Downey. Mark Strong is equally adept as the dark Lord Blackwood with honorable mention going to Eddie Marsan as Holmes/Watson’s law enforcement sidekick Inspector Lestrade. The ending clearly leaves the door open for another adventure which is a good thing. My only request is that the next installment contain more of Irene Adler/Rachel McAdams as she just wasn‘t in this one enough for me.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence and action, some startling images and a scene of suggestive material,

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Sherlock Holmes comes ot Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.1 mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and muted sepia tones. Warm golden accents are used to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. The film was largely shot against green screens which softened some of the background elements during wide angle pans but I never found it to be excessive or distracting. Overall I found the quality of the video to be high. It wasn’t always razor sharp but it was cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increased the perception of fine detail. Blacks were dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail was just as strong. I was enamored by the film’s deep grays, rich contrast and intriguing use of color. Framed at 1.85:1 its images had excellent depth and a stimulating visual aura that accented the story. I didn’t see any overt signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. It looked great.

It is hard not to be impressed with the potential and innate quality of lossless surround sound. Warner is frequently utilizing DTS-HD Master Audio sound on their Blu-ray Disc releases and this is the type of film that can truly benefit from its inherent attributes. Unlike my recollection of its theatrical presentation this makes for an engaging and active surround mix that has extended dynamic range that renders the film’s action based elements with aplomb. The are several sequences, such as the extended fight scene that concludes in the shipping yard, that rock as the room is transformed into a three dimensional sound field filled with immersive 360 degree surround activity that engages the listening position from multiple directions. Low frequency effects frequently produces deep, authoritative bass that pressurizes the room and occasionally approaches infrasonic levels. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that produced just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers. This is an wonderfully involving and dynamically energized sound design that features high level sonic detail, superb directional correlation, seamless integration, and rhythmically charged bass extension that is guaranteed to stimulate the senses. My advice is to crank this one up, sit back and enjoy.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Maximum Movie Mode - An in-depth look at the film/production and an interactive viewer that includes walk-ons with director Guy Ritchie, Focus points, PiP, Storyboards, still galleries and more. It is far from your everyday run of the mill BonusView track and is broken down into 8 segments that can also be viewed independently.

• (HD) Focus Points: (30 minutes)

1. Draw bridges and doilies: Designing a late Victorian London
    2. Not a Deerstalker cap in sight (Costume design)
    3. Ba-ritsu: A tutorial on the imaginary martial arts form developed for the film
    4. Elementary English: Perfecting Sherlock‘s accent
    5. The one that got away
    6. Powers of observation & deduction
    7. The Sherlockians
    8. Future past

• (HD) Behind the story: Sherlock Holmes reinvented - 14 minute featurette

• WB BD-Live enabled

• DVD Bonus Disc of Sherlock Holmes

• Digital Copy of Sherlock Holmes
attachment.php?attachmentid=171307&d=1269700250

Final Thoughts:

Sherlock Holmes is a reinvention of the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character that gives it a spirited and stylized spin that works thanks to the slick direction of Guy Ritchie and the entertaining performances of Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. My theatrical experience with it left me wanting however this second viewing proved more rewarding. Part of the reason for this is due to its top flight presentation on Blu-ray Disc from Warner. I found that its excellent high definition video and reference quality DTS-HD Master Audio sound made for a great home theater experience. The inclusion of a solid set of interactive Blu-ray Disc bonus features enhances the quality of an already strong offering that comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
thanks Ralph,was on the fence for this one.. seems like your review will push me over to buy!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #3 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ralph, did the center channel seem a bit low for you? For a few scenes of dialog, I kept having to turn up my receiver.

And as for the film, it was better than what they trailer suggested.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
My wife and I saw the movie in the theater and loved it. I already have it on order from Amazon. Can't wait to see (and hear) it again.
post #5 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Will be picking this blu-ray movie up tomorrow as a rental along with "An Education."
Looking forward to watching "Sherlock Holmes" since I didn't see it at the theater, and have a gut feeling I'm going to like it.
Thanks again Ralph for the review.
post #6 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Ralph, did the center channel seem a bit low for you? For a few scenes of dialog, I kept having to turn up my receiver.

And as for the film, it was better than what they trailer suggested.

Greetings,

I didn't have any problems. Can you provide some specific examples?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 01:25 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Ralph, thanks for the review!

I had the exact same reaction to this movie. Wasn't blown away but will give it another look on BluRay.

I agree about more Irene Adler. More Rachel McAdams is always gonna be a good thing!
post #8 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Ralph,

Another excellent review - Thanks!

I really enjoyed this one in the local theater. After reading Ralph's summary I will be first in line to buy it tomorrow!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #9 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I didn't have any problems. Can you provide some specific examples?

Regards,

Will check out the specific scenes shortly.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #10 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 04:57 PM

Liked: 31
The King strikes again.. I will go ahead and aquire this...and add to my
collection.
post #11 of 73 Old 03-29-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I wish Directors would give up on the notion that previous generations did not have color in their world. These limited color palets distract from the story.

Making a bad looking film (intentionally) seems to be in vogue right now.
post #12 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Needless to say this is a....Collect!!

Cheers
post #13 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm blind buying this because I really seems like the right thing to do!
post #14 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Great review, I took a look at your theater as well.. nice.

Since I enjoy most all material Robert Downey JR does, I'm sure the film is going to be some great entertainment, and that's what it's all about at the end of the day.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #15 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Rented this one because I wanted to make sure I like it as much as I did in the theater before deciding to pick it up or wait for a price drop.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #16 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Ralph, you might want to reread your review of the video for this movie - "... washing away detail"???
post #17 of 73 Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Ralph, you might want to reread your review of the video for this movie - "... washing away detail"???

Greetings,

Corrected to read "without"...washing away detail..

Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 73 Old 03-31-2010, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Watched this last night and found it to be an enjoyable film but wasn't overly wowed.
The performances and story were compelling along with plenty of action suspense and intrigue.
The somewhat drab and gritty color palette of the film didn't really detract from it's overall presentation, IMO.
The ending did really open up the possibilities for a sequel and the return of "Holmes" nemesis "Moriarty".
post #19 of 73 Old 03-31-2010, 10:40 PM

watched last pm and liked the movie. I have a PS3 playing through a RS2, and the black level seemed quite off, little to no shadow detail and very dark. we changed settings to no effect. Anyone else have this problem? I watched another movie afterward and the black level was normal. this really seemed odd as it was a new bulb. thanks
post #20 of 73 Old 03-31-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I wish Directors would give up on the notion that previous generations did not have color in their world. These limited color palets distract from the story.

Making a bad looking film (intentionally) seems to be in vogue right now.

Agreed. A great thing, when I was a kid in the 1960s, was going to the movies and seeing beautiful, dye transfer Technicolor films.
post #21 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Hi Ralph,

I found the sound track very good but the PQ was sharp but a bit on the dark side losing some black detail in a few scenes. I notice you noted some good black levels but did you not see some crushed blacks in portions of the film? Was this past of the reason for a 86 video score?

I enjoyed the flick! Nice review.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #22 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Ralph,

I agree with the bland on this one... The image was quite sharp but sometimes the black was crushed... The audio is really good though....

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #23 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Hi Ralph,

I found the sound track very good but the PQ was sharp but a bit on the dark side losing some black detail in a few scenes. I notice you noted some good black levels but did you not see some crushed blacks in portions of the film? Was this past of the reason for a 86 video score?

I enjoyed the flick! Nice review.

Greetings,

Jeff, I noted that and made a minor deduction for it however this was also the case with its theatrical presentation and appears innate.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Hi Ralph,
Love your thread, first place I go to read about a new release.

Great flick, love the ending. Audio was great, as the effects were new and fresh, not just bam boom. Video, the smoke filled room with the sun light, just WOW.
post #25 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Just watched it for the first time last night. Loved it. The bass thats present when it zooms out to see Blackwood's dead body at the bridge is crazy!
post #26 of 73 Old 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod View Post

Hi Ralph,
Love your thread, first place I go to read about a new release.

Great flick, love the ending. Audio was great, as the effects were new and fresh, not just bam boom. Video, the smoke filled room with the sun light, just WOW.

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #27 of 73 Old 04-02-2010, 12:19 AM

Will be picking this blu-ray movie up tomorrow as a rental along with "An Education."
post #28 of 73 Old 04-04-2010, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks Ralph,
Another spot on review as the 92 for audio was well deserved and the 86 for video was right on time too.
I had to listen close and fast at times to keep up with the dialogue and the overall look of the video fit well with the era.
I really enjoyed the movie and will be adding it to my collection.
Warren
post #29 of 73 Old 04-04-2010, 03:55 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

Thanks Ralph,
Another spot on review as the 92 for audio was well deserved and the 86 for video was right on time too.
I had to listen close and fast at times to keep up with the dialogue and the overall look of the video fit well with the era.
I really enjoyed the movie and will be adding it to my collection.
Warren

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Warren.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #30 of 73 Old 04-04-2010, 07:30 AM

We just watched this one last night and really enjoyed it. The audio was phenomenal!! In fact, we watched 2012 right after this one and expected more out of the audio on it, but I found that old Sherlock had it beat in the audio department, and killed it in the entertainment department.
Dale.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Sherlock by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page