Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Western

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, English ESL, French, Spanish
Starring: Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliott, Bill Paxton, Dana Delaney, Jason Priestly, Stephen Lang, Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Thomas Haden Church, Dana Wheeler-Nicholson, Billy Zane, Michael Rooker, Terry O’Quinn, Charlton Heston, Billy Bob Thornton
Directed by: George P. Cosmatos
Music by: Bruce Broughton
Written by: Kevin Jarre
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 27, 2010

"Justice is coming"

Film Synopsis:

Kurt Russel turns in a gripping performance as US Marshall Wyatt Earp, and Val Kilmer ignites the screen as the outrageous Doc Holiday. Together, they team up to bring law to the lawless in a notorious showdown with ruthless outlaws at the OK coral! Get ready for an explosive, action-paked adventure the Wild West would never forget!

My Take:

Being a film fan I have a devout appreciation for the western genre. The frequency with which we see them coming from Hollywood has dwindled compared to bygone eras. The term “classic” in modern western films isn’t thrown around much which is a shame. As a result we have to make the most of the offerings we have which in most cases really aren’t bad at all. Case in point is the subject of this review, Tombstone . Released in 1993 Tombstone revolves around retired Dodge City lawman Wyatt Earp and his brothers Virgil and Morgan after they move to Tombstone Arizona with their families seeking to capitalize on the town’s booming wealth prospects. Unfortunately they run afoul of a band of outlaws known as The Cowboys which leads to one of the most infamous showdowns in western folklore. The story focuses of the events that lead up to the gunfight at the OK Corral while portraying the close relationship between Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp as well as the enduring romance that developed between Wyatt and Josephine.

I like Tombstone and my affinity for it remains as strong now as it was when I first saw it. Unlike 1994’s Wyatt Earp, starring Kevin Costner, which came out shortly after Tombstone, this film is less about Earp’s personal life but more specifically focuses on the events that transpire after they arrive to Tombstone. Peace and tranquility wasn’t to be found, and the tumultuous events that followed would forever change them. There is plenty of detail within the script which introduces a myriad of characters as it lightly touches upon nearly all of them with the primary subject being the problems between the Clanton’s, the McLaury’s and the Earp’s and later Wyatt’s vendetta against The Cowboys. There are strong characters on both sides which are supported by terrific performances by the ensemble cast. Notables include Stephen Lang as Ike Clanton, Michael Biehn as Johnny Ringo, and Sam Elliott as Virgil. Honorable mention goes to Powers Boothe as Curly Bill, and Dana Wheeler-Nicholson as Maddy. The performances by Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer are in my opinion the primary reasons that Tombstone works as well as it does. Their onscreen chemistry, in addition to the depth with which Kilmer portrays Doc Holliday is engaging to watch. Many feel that Kilmer’s superb performance overshadowed Russell. I think that he offset him more than outdid him but there is no question that Kilmer is deserving of the accolades that he received. There is plenty of action, memorable dialogue (“I’m your huckleberry”) and interweaved drama to keep the story balanced, exciting and compelling. This is aided by smooth pacing and a heartfelt and touching tribute in the final scene between Doc and Wyatt that in my opinion is perfectly placed. Tombstone is a personal favorite that I have anticipated for release on Blu-ray since the format’s inception. I must admit to being disappointed that this isn’t the Vista Series version with contains the extended director’s cut however I am thrilled to now own it in high definition on Blu-ray Disc.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for western violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Tombstone comes to Blu-ray Disc from Buena Vista/Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

Disney’s consistency in the high quality of their catalog release titles on Blu-ray continues with Tombstone as I was pleased with this high definition video presentation. Colors were natural and visually satisfying with delineated primaries that, depending on the lighting, could be bold and vivid. Fleshtones were warm, with appreciable tonal separation and lifelike depiction. Images were discernibly detailed and sharp which brought out plenty of textural nuance within clothing, physical features, and objects onscreen. This made it easy to detect the coarse surfaces in wooden structures, the pattern in the weave of the costumes worn by the cast or fine gradations in facial hair and skin. Long range visuals were resolved with above average clarity and depth which highlighted the film’s beautiful cinematography. The video had a grainy texture that was apparent but its rendering was consistent, film like, and never infringed upon fidelity. Contrast was stable throughout the presentation as detail and variable stages in bright whites and gradations in gray tones were distinguishable. Blacks were slightly crushed but appeared dynamic when onscreen with mixed content. Dark sequences had appreciable dimension and sufficient shadow detail that combined with the video’s higher resolution to enhance depth of field in wide angle shots. There were a couple of instances where the image softened and color appeared drained as the shot took on a grayish monochromatic hue. It lasted momentarily and when the camera angle switched it returned to normal. attachment.php?attachmentid=173269&d=1271612092I noticed it in chapter 9 when Wyatt and Josephine are alone in the grove of trees (right before she stands up and moves over the tree). Similarly in Chapter 11 when Wyatt, Morgan and Virgil are playing pool, just before the mayor comes into the saloon, it happens again but to a lesser degree. I checked these same scenes on the Vista Series DVD and it is the same but less noticeable due to the lower resolution. I would say that it is inherent to the master and doesn’t appear to be compression related. Comparing the DVD to the Blu-ray Disc was interesting as I always thought that the THX certified Vista Series presentation was quite good, and it is, but going from one to the other made the vast differences in resolution, sharpness, depth and color obvious. Overall I felt that this was a strong 1080p encode that presented this film in its finest light.

Having seen this movie numerous times I am familiar with its soundtrack. This isn’t an aggressive surround mix but it gets the little things right which make it all the more engaging. This lossless encoding when compared to the lossy DTS 5.1 sound on the DVD offers a noticeable improvement in sound quality by opening up the front soundstage, elevating the perception of low level detail and offering broader dynamic range. Dialogue is full bodied, clearly intonated and supremely intelligible through the center channel. Bruce Broughton’s stirring music score invigorates the sound field with its orchestrated strings, smoothly textured brass and authoritative percussion driving the film’s storyline. The score utilizes the entire surround platform via a front oriented perspective that is enhanced by ambient surround activity that encapsulates the listening position and enriches dimension. This is where the track excels dynamically as the music has robust impact, defining aural expression and pinpoint imaging. Some of the effects such as gunfire are a bit dated but I wouldn’t describe it as sounding unsubstantial. Clarity and fine detail are notable which gives lesser sounds within the mix good audibility and articulated refinement. The action based segments are plenty involving as the blend of music and effects combine to deliver a busy and immersive soundscape that fills the room. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Bonus Features:

• The making of Tombstone - 3 featurettes:

1. An ensemble cast - 12 minutes
    2. Making an authentic western - 7 minutes
    3. The gunfight at the OK Corral - 7 minutes

• Director‘s original storyboards - 4 minutes

• Trailers/TV Spots - Theatrical, Teaser, Friends

Final Thoughts:

Tombstone is a solid genre entry that needs no excuses made for it when compared to some of the better western films of its era. It’s a movie that I never tire of as I revel in the scope of its marvelous ensemble cast, stirring action and excellent onscreen chemistry between stars Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer. I have been looking forward to its release in high definition on Blu-ray and am happy to report that the results are excellent as it has never looked or sounded better. I ran a comparison of the THX certified Vista Series DVD to the Blu-ray disc using various sequences. In terms of video quality this was an exercise in futility as the Blu-ray Disc is notably sharper, detailed, and vivid which results in a more rewarding image. The differences between the lossy DTS 5.1 track and the lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio track aren’t night and day but the improvement in sound quality opens the front soundstage, elevates the perception of low level detail within the mix and broadens dynamic range. For those that currently own the Vista Series DVD which contains the extended director’s cut of the film plus a host of excellent bonus supplements, the decision to upgrade will essentially depend on how important image/sound quality are to you. Personally speaking I am not getting rid of my Vista Series two disc set but will supplement it with the Blu-ray Disc as it is superior from a technical perspective. Frankly I wish that Disney had just released the Vista Series package and included both the theatrical and extended cuts. For now we fans will have to accept this offering which when all is said and done ain’t too shabby. Recommended!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the great review Ralph. My wife has been bugging me for over a year about a "Tombstone" release on Blu-ray. Our prayers have been answered. This is one of my favorite movies and being able to enjoy it for the umpteenth time in it's highest resolution, is a dream come true.
post #3 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks,

Already preordered.
post #4 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This is one of my favs, although I skipped various DVD incarnations because of reports of terrible transfers, but will be getting this one for sure.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #5 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Very nice. Thanks, Ralph.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #6 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The only thing that's going to save me on the 27th is if The Jackal's BD is terrible, otherwise the 27th is going to be expensive! Bring on the catalogs!

post #7 of 62 Old 04-18-2010, 06:54 PM

Can't wait for The Jackel and Tombstone

colton

post #8 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hope they get this release right for the 20th anniversary in 2013. Did you know that Kurt Russell actually directed "Tombstone," but only revealed that after George Cosmatos' death, as he had promised not to say anything while George was still alive? There's a spectacular director's cut just waiting to be assembled, which Kurt says could be "the best Western ever, ever, ever made."

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #9 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Never seen his film. I might have to look into renting this first if it ever gets here.

Frank

post #10 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Excellent Final Thoughts Ralph!

Like what you've said if you like western movies this is something you never get tired of watching. I've seen this movie numerous times and still feels like it's the first time watching it.

Collect!!

Cheers
post #11 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

This will make up for some recent disppapointments for me personally as far as releases to BD and the quality.

Thanks for the review and I cannot wait for my preorder request from Amazon to arrive!
post #12 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

I hope they get this release right for the 20th anniversary in 2013. Did you know that Kurt Russell actually directed "Tombstone," but only revealed that after George Cosmatos' death, as he had promised not to say anything while George was still alive? There's a spectacular director's cut just waiting to be assembled, which Kurt says could be "the best Western ever, ever, ever made."

If Kurt directed this he needs to direct again, and the fact that he hasn't directed since makes me a little dubious about this overall.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #13 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

My love of westerns goes back to the days of the early B movies like The Durango Kid, Roy Rogers and what not. As I grew older I got more into the adult/psychological type as per Oxbow Incident, High Noon, Shane, etc. So when Hollywood pretty much gave up on the genere, it was a big, satisfying event for me when titles like Tombstone came to market. Today, Tombstone is one of my faves. I've owned it on both laserdisc and dvd and now I can't wait for the Blu-ray. I still long for a strong comeback of the western, but it doesn't seem likely so I am happy as long as films like Tombstone and others such as Unforgiven, Open Range, Appaloosa, etc, hit the big screen every so often.
post #14 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm_B View Post

If Kurt directed this he needs to direct again, and the fact that he hasn't directed since makes me a little dubious about this overall.

IMDB:

"In an interview with True West magazine (Oct. 2006), star Kurt Russell admits that after original director Kevin Jarre was fired, he directed a majority of the picture. According to Russell, credited director George P. Cosmatos served merely to make things run smoothly. Also in the True West interview, Kurt Russell states that the film was nearly cast with Richard Gere as Wyatt Earp and Willem Dafoe as Doc Holliday."

http://site.truewestmagazine.com/arc...ther_10_06.htm

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #15 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Ralph, another great review. This is going to be an expensive month for Blu-rays at this rate.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #16 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"I was just foolin about."

"I wasn't."

Great movie!

I like Ice Cream!
post #17 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Ralph,
Thanks for another fantastic review. This and Silverado are easily in my top five favorite westerns. It's a shame that we did not get the Director's Cut or at least the deleted scenes from the Director's Cut with this release.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #18 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

and Willem Dafoe as Doc Holliday.

I must confess, that might have been awesome, even though Val worked the role right nice.
post #19 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Very quotable script...

"You are a good woman. On the other hand, you might be the anti-Christ..."

"I'm your Huckleberry."

"You're a daisy if you do."

"If you ever had any tender feeling for me, if you were ever my friend, leave me be."

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #20 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Very quotable script...

"You are a good woman. On the other hand, you might be the anti-Christ..."

"I'm your Huckleberry."

"You're a daisy if you do."

"If you ever had any tender feeling for me, if you were ever my friend, leave me be."

Greetings,

"For a man that don't go heels you talk awful reckless don't cha?"

"No need to go heels to get the bulge on a tub like you"

"Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens!"

========================================

"Them pistols don't scare me 'cause without 'em you aint nothing but a skinny lunger"

I could go on and on...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #21 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Ralph,
Thanks for another fantastic review. This and Silverado are easily in my top five favorite westerns. It's a shame that we did not get the Director's Cut or at least the deleted scenes from the Director's Cut with this release.

What brand of speakers do you have? They look nice.

colton

post #22 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man there is a director's cut that adds a bit back in and it's already on the DVD. Wish they would release it on blu-ray. Thats the only thing stopping me from buying this one. Shame because I really love this movie.
post #23 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM

"he's down by the creek... walking on water"

"I've got two, one for the each of ya!"

"Barber.. PROCEED!"

"I tell ya I'm suffering... from a hangover!"

Great review Ralph, one of my all time favorite movies. Have probably seen it More than 20 times and it never gets old. I think between me an three of my best friends, we could quote every line.

Oh yeah I forgot the best "Tell em I'm coming and hells coming with me"
post #24 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the review, Ralph. I've been eagerly anticipating your take on it after reading other less than glowing reviews of the transfer. This certainly puts my mind at ease about buying it next week seeing as how I traded in my Vista Series copy last month. Can't wait.

"My sweet, soft, Hungarian devil."

"Hey, lovin' man. You been called."

"You know. Frederick Fu***ng Chopin."

Aw, hell. Now you got me started.
post #25 of 62 Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcam View Post

Thanks for the review, Ralph. I've been eagerly anticipating your take on it after reading other less than glowing reviews of the transfer. This certainly puts my mind at ease about buying it next week seeing as how I traded in my Vista Series copy last month. Can't wait.

"My sweet, soft, Hungarian devil."

"Hey, lovin' man. You been called."

"You know. Frederick Fu***ng Chopin."

Aw, hell. Now you got me started.

Greetings,

"I stand corrected Wyatt...you're an oak"

"Run you cur! You tell them the law's comin', you tell them I'm comin' and hell's comin' with me!!"

OK that's the last one..umm maybe.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #26 of 62 Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 AM

"Why Johnny Tyler! Madcap! Where you going with that shotgun?"

"I'm sorry Johnny, I forgot you were here, my apologies. You may go now".
post #27 of 62 Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM

And the all-time favorite at my house:

"It's like playing cards with my brother's kids or somethin'. You nerve-wrackin' sonsabitches".
post #28 of 62 Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 136
This is great reading all the quotes from the movie, and a wonderful review as usual from Mr. Potts.

This is really one of my all time favs, and although I've watched it at least 7-8 times in the past, it has been a couple years since I did see last.
So, I'm very much looking forward to watching it again, but this time in HD.

If I had to compile rankings for my favorite westerns, Tombstone would probably be #2 behind GBU.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #29 of 62 Old 04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I told myself to not upgrade my DVD with this BD, but then you guys throw out all these great quotes plus a solid review by Ralph and I am on board...
post #30 of 62 Old 04-20-2010, 05:33 PM

this is the best Wyatt Earp movie ever made ..my wife loves this one ...Gun fight at the OK CORRAL
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Tombstone Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Tombstone by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page