Avatar (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 387 Old 06-26-2010, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the case already from http://retailsecurityproducts.wordpr...ey-industries/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 387 Old 06-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Aught to be fun! Report back!

Yep, they thoroughly loved the movie - and they told me now they know why I haven't gotten tired of seeing it so many times (this was my 14th viewing of Avatar, between the Imax theater and my home, lol!). They were also very impressed with the Frey Theater, experiencing it for the first time - they especially liked the seat shakers I have installed under all 3 seats of the sofa in the front row. More than a few times during the movie, when there was an unexpected strong signal on the LFE channel, my friend's wife really jumped up in her seat and let out a "oh!" from the sudden rumble under her derrier...! Haha, best investment I've made in my theater, I do believe!

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #363 of 387 Old 06-28-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

Yep, they thoroughly loved the movie - and they told me now they know why I haven't gotten tired of seeing it so many times (this was my 14th viewing of Avatar, between the Imax theater and my home, lol!). They were also very impressed with the Frey Theater, experiencing it for the first time - they especially liked the seat shakers I have installed under all 3 seats of the sofa in the front row. More than a few times during the movie, when there was an unexpected strong signal on the LFE channel, my friend's wife really jumped up in her seat and let out a "oh!" from the sudden rumble under her derrier...! Haha, best investment I've made in my theater, I do believe!

I cant get enough of Avatar either dont know why but I really enjoy it although I dont have near the level of a HT you have I sure enjoy it. I've only scene it 3 or 4 times but I cant get enough im just trying to pace myself lol .
post #364 of 387 Old 07-03-2010, 07:37 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by morani View Post

This one of my favorite movies of all times, I love everything about the movie from the actors in the movie to the soundtrack also the visual of the movie is the best that I ever seen. Wont even compare to seeing it in IMAX, but this is honestly one of the best movies I have ever seen, and it is slated to be a classic. Buy this...

"Buy this"? Did that, then sold it (cheap).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #365 of 387 Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

"Buy this"? Did that, then sold it (cheap).

Thanks for sharing ...
post #366 of 387 Old 07-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I will say that this is one of the few movies/blu rays that EVERYONE who views films at our home has enjoyed. Throw in the reference video and near reference audio and this is a fantastic purchase IMO Movie certainly has its issues IMO, but I can understand why so many love it even if my personal opinion is not quite that high of it (again though, I still think this is a good movie overall and a awesome overall HT experience). I dont purchase many films, but this one is well worth the money IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #367 of 387 Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I will say that this is one of the few movies/blu rays that EVERYONE who views films at our home has enjoyed. Throw in the reference video and near reference audio and this is a fantastic purchase IMO Movie certainly has its issues IMO, but I can understand why so many love it even if my personal opinion is not quite that high of it (again though, I still think this is a good movie overall and a awesome overall HT experience). I dont purchase many films, but this one is well worth the money IMO.

For sure it is one of those movies that deppending on your taste can go either way . Guess im one of the fortunate ones to love it and really enjoy it .
post #368 of 387 Old 07-08-2010, 11:44 AM

OK Avatar fans, just announced, the re-release of Avatar in an extended Special Edition has been scheduled for August 27, exclusively in digital 3D and IMAX 3D theaters. It will feature more than eight minutes of new footage. Back to the IMAX theater I go!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4846

FEEL an awesome 3D Blu-ray movie in the Frey Theater - Now with projection in glorious "FREYMAX" 3D!

post #369 of 387 Old 07-08-2010, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Yeah if it's in IMAX ill go see it again. I loved Avatar in 3D IMAX.
post #370 of 387 Old 07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

OK Avatar fans, just announced, the re-release of Avatar in an extended Special Edition has been scheduled for August 27, exclusively in digital 3D and IMAX 3D theaters. It will feature more than eight minutes of new footage. Back to the IMAX theater I go!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4846

Sweet!!!!!!! Thanks for the update
post #371 of 387 Old 07-09-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Yeah if it's in IMAX ill go see it again. I loved Avatar in 3D IMAX.

Yep, the 3D was near-perfect for Avatar - and with the huge IMAX screen filling my field of view, to me it was much more a total Virtual Reality experience rather than just sitting and watching a movie - I was actually there in the forest, lol! That's why I went to see it in IMAX 3D so many times!

Did you notice all the negative comments on that link I posted? So many people were whining about there being only 8 minutes of new footage, they were almost rebellious - but they're not realizing how much 8 minutes can really add, especially when it is broken up and added to 20 different scenes throughout the movie... it is actually quite a bit of screen time, when you consider that most camera cuts in a movie are only a few seconds long...

post #372 of 387 Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 PM

Flawless Bluray (almost). Flawless review. I just watched this in its entirety. Simply phenomenal. Even the stages of the movie that were clearly CGI looked absolutely stellar (literally in the case of the opening sequence with the ship on approach to Pandora). I watched the intro twice as the whole family gathered around and wanted to watch it from the very beginning.

As an aside- the deep note at the end always provides an excellent justification for shelling out the money for audio. Then again, it's not like the rest of the movie didn't sound phenomenal. I think I'm trained to use the deep note as a reference.

Another score well given, Ralph.
post #373 of 387 Old 07-20-2010, 09:04 PM

I was totally blown away by Avatar. I saw the movie in IMAX and I couldn't believe how amazing the visuals were. My concern about getting it on DVD is that it will never live up to when I saw it on the IMAX. How does 3D animation translate to a smaller television... is it worth buying?
post #374 of 387 Old 07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhchicago View Post

I was totally blown away by Avatar. I saw the movie in IMAX and I couldn't believe how amazing the visuals were. My concern about getting it on DVD is that it will never live up to when I saw it on the IMAX. How does 3D animation translate to a smaller television... is it worth buying?

3D does not translate to a smaller television at all, yet. Avatar is not available in 3D. We do not get our Avatar on DVD in this thread. We get it on BD. Most of us do not watch our BDs on "television" sets either. I, personally, have a 10' wide screen. Many have bigger. The viewing experience in my home theater is superior to commercial cinema, even without 3D.

Is it worth buying? If you are buying the DVD to watch on a television, maybe not. If you are buying the BD to watch in a home theater, mos-def! It will blow you away!
post #375 of 387 Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi, I am new to this forum. I hope my question is not inappropriate for this forum-it concerns what I saw on the dvd in evaluating 2 sets.
I am going nuts trying to decide between these 2 tv's-Sony 55HX800 and Panasonic VT20.
When I first saw the Avatar in 2D on the Sony, my jnaw dropped-I had never seen such deep blacks (beginning of movie when ship is heading to the planet) and the movie looked almost 3D (later learned that Sony motionflow does this).
But, I have not been able to evaluate the dvd on the Panasonic (players locked by sales reps in stores and Best Buy people can't open them).
What concerns me is in the space scene, there appears to be some "clouding or splotches of Haze"in the lower left corner on the Sony-I was able to try a Samsung 7000 (led) and not as noticeable. So, is it more noticeable on the Sony because of clouding or spotlighting (not sure what they are exactly).
Also, when motionflow was turned off, the space station coming forward seemed to blur (sales person said this is because with it off you are in 60Hz rather than 240-will it look any better on plasma or is this the way it should look?
Sorry for going on, but basically only 2 questions that I need answered:
1) Is that cloudiness evident to both you plasma and lcd viewers and
2) Is the sharpness of the space station coming forward supposed to get somewhat blurred as it gets closer, or is this a difference between the 2 tv formats?
Your answers about this dvd as viewed on the 2 types of sets will finally, I hope, help me make a decision. I am not asking which format is better, I just want to know if others are seeing the same things on both types of sets with this dvd.
Many thanks.
post #376 of 387 Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 AM

OK OK OK. ... . . .After properlt tuning my stereo (Thanks Audyssey) and properly intergrating my outlaw subs and my new carada BW 114" screen I see why Ralph gave this a 100 on the review. Ralph is right. The soun stage in this is nothing short of amazing. I felt TOTALLY imerssed in th enviroment. It even have enough bass for me. The picture was stunning as well (I'm more a sound guy) So ralp cheers to you!!!!

Is it just me or has quality HT ruined the experience going out to a movie? I waould rather wait for a movie to be released on blu ray and see it for the 1st time at home.

-Alan
post #377 of 387 Old 09-02-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1216 View Post

Is it just me or has quality HT ruined the experience going out to a movie? I waould rather wait for a movie to be released on blu ray and see it for the 1st time at home.

Is that a bad thing?
Not having a dedicated room for HT, and being prone to interruptions or requests to "turn it down please, the whole house is shaking!" I still enjoy the escape to the Multiplex...

to each his own...
post #378 of 387 Old 09-02-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

Is that a bad thing?
Not having a dedicated room for HT, and being prone to interruptions or requests to "turn it down please, the whole house is shaking!" I still enjoy the escape to the Multiplex...

Me too. Phone calls are the worst interruption, when wifey gets on the phone while she is sitting next to me on the couch and we have a movie on, i hate hate hate hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus going to the theater gets us out of the house. We go to matinees during the week so the theater is mostly empty, and its usually devoid of the type of people who disturb others in the movies.

That said though, a lot of times i sit in the theater thinking, "Boy, will this look and sound great at home........."

Avatar really held up great at home to me. I saw it three times in the theater in RealD-3D, and thought it would lose a lot at home, but the bluray is so great, its a great experience at home.

never take life seriously
post #379 of 387 Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1216 View Post

-Alan

It's not you. I haven't been to a commercial theater since I finished my HT. I wait for the BD. And... neither me nor my g'friend answer the phone during a movie. How rude! Worse than them little texting freaks at the commercial theater.
post #380 of 387 Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

It's not you. I haven't been to a commercial theater since I finished my HT. I wait for the BD. And... neither me nor my g'friend answer the phone during a movie. How rude! Worse than them little texting freaks at the commercial theater.

Plus I get to shut the door (that has weather stripping) & pause the movie when I have to pee
post #381 of 387 Old 09-03-2010, 01:42 PM

So who has gone to see the Special Edition release yet? I went to see it last Friday on opening nite, in IMAX 3D, 7PM show - that was the third showing at that theater, they had a Midnight showing and a 3:00pm before...

There was some nice extra footage - we get to see the inside of the abandoned school where Grace taught the Na'vi, some new, very large herd animals in the forest and during the animal charge at the end, some extra hunting scenes and more views of the forest, a slightly longer "sex" scene between Jake and Neytiri where they "bond," and a new extended Tsu'tay death scene in the forest near the end of the movie. I did think a few of the scenes that were added had some slightly awkard dialogue, so I could see why they were probably edited out of the original theatrical cut - but it was still good to see the new scenes, as they did provide some added information to the plot. I'm looking forward to another additional 8 minutes that they will be adding to the Exended BD release in November...

post #382 of 387 Old 09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, my son and I saw it last weekend as well, I had been looking forward to it. There was a additional significant scene added that you didn't mention, in which a Navi raiding party killed a half dozen workers/mercenaries. I think that and the tsu te death scene at the end were removed to have viewers feel more sympathetic to the Navi. I think the deserted s hooligan scene helped the plot and cant see why that would have been cut unless it was for time considerations.

to each his own...
post #383 of 387 Old 08-02-2011, 02:15 PM

I have this Avatar version: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VPE1B6

This: http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...=releases&pg=2

says that the Avatar Blu-ray has a THX optimizer. I am looking for the audio part of the test that lights up a speaker icon on the screen then sends a test tome to the corresponding speaker. I popped it in,but didn't see any THX optimizer option. How do I get to the test tones feature of the THX optimizer on the Avatar Blu-ray? Thanks in advance.
post #384 of 387 Old 09-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Hi, I wanted to ask a question about video quality on the original single disc Blu-Ray release vs. the extended edition with multiple discs and containing bonus features. R.L. Shaffer at IGN indicated that the video quality on the extended version does not measure up to the original blu-ray release as a result of having to fit additional footage in to the 50gig capacity which was already maxed out on the theatrical release.

"Sadly, the transfer for the film is slightly more compressed thanks to a much longer cut, and thus is not quite as pristine and impressive as the previous Blu-ray release." Review

Can anyone who has seen both versions comment on the validity of this statement? I'm trying to decide which to buy.
Thanks
post #385 of 387 Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeffroy View Post

Hi, I wanted to ask a question about video quality on the original single disc Blu-Ray release vs. the extended edition with multiple discs and containing bonus features. R.L. Shaffer at IGN indicated that the video quality on the extended version does not measure up to the original blu-ray release as a result of having to fit additional footage in to the 50gig capacity which was already maxed out on the theatrical release.

"Sadly, the transfer for the film is slightly more compressed thanks to a much longer cut, and thus is not quite as pristine and impressive as the previous Blu-ray release." Review

Can anyone who has seen both versions comment on the validity of this statement? I'm trying to decide which to buy.
Thanks

Honestly, on a 50" panasonic plasma screen, I haven't been able to detect any decrease of quality. I've seen the first theatrical cut BD a few times, and a few weeks after that, I watched the extended cut BD. The image quality seemed quite perfect, and similar to the one of the first BD. Maybe to be able to identify some issues with the extended cut transfer you would have to watch it on a very large screen and be able to do switch between both images rapidly to be able to see the difference.

Interestingly, the review by the digitalbits says: "Video-wise, it's clear to me that Fox has continued to work very carefully on the compression and encoding for the film since the original Blu-ray release, because the 1080p video looks just as good here as it did on the previous disc. In fact, it almost seems a little more natural looking, with just a hair less compression artifacting in the most detailed scenes. The differences aren't enough that I felt the track deserved a higher grade than the previous edition, but it's quite an achievement considering that this new cut has 16 additional minutes of footage to contend with"
And he watched it on a "110" screen with a projection system"
post #386 of 387 Old 10-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieuhatt View Post

Honestly, on a 50" panasonic plasma screen, I haven't been able to detect any decrease of quality. I've seen the first theatrical cut BD a few times, and a few weeks after that, I watched the extended cut BD. The image quality seemed quite perfect, and similar to the one of the first BD. Maybe to be able to identify some issues with the extended cut transfer you would have to watch it on a very large screen and be able to do switch between both images rapidly to be able to see the difference.

Interestingly, the review by the digitalbits says: "Video-wise, it's clear to me that Fox has continued to work very carefully on the compression and encoding for the film since the original Blu-ray release, because the 1080p video looks just as good here as it did on the previous disc. In fact, it almost seems a little more natural looking, with just a hair less compression artifacting in the most detailed scenes. The differences aren't enough that I felt the track deserved a higher grade than the previous edition, but it's quite an achievement considering that this new cut has 16 additional minutes of footage to contend with"
And he watched it on a "110" screen with a projection system"

Thanks very much for the reply. Sounds like even if there is a slight decrease / increase in video quality from the original version to the extended version, it is not something you would ever be aware of without having seen both versions and even then, having them both available for simultaneous comparison. From what I gather, either version is going to look incredible and likely beyond anything I've seen to date (pretty limited Blu-ray exposure so far; TDK, Toy Story 2, 300, Troy, Wall-E). Looking forward to it, definitely on the Christmas wishlist along with the Disney WOW calibration blu-ray
post #387 of 387 Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
Hehehehehhe it got a 100 score
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Avatar by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version