Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2010, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBoomer View Post

I enjoyed the experience seeing this in 3D at the movies, but thought the film was just "OK". Hope to rent it pretty soon and see if it fares better in 2D at home. Sounds like the Blu-ray will not disappoint visually, so can't wait to check it out.

If your like me i think you will enjoy it much more in 2D. Visuals are much better than in 3D in the theaters. 3D is still gimmicky to me and didnt do avatar and justice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2010, 10:00 PM

I just can't imagine watching this in 2D. I don't think I'll ever watch this film again. I saw it on the big screen on opening day with my Dad and we both enjoyed it. The post-hype has killed the fun. This is not a "great film". It was a visual rollercoaster. It's probably Cameron's weakest in every department that is not technical.

I certainly feel no need to revisit it in 2D...where the only thing that will pop out will be the shortcomings in performance and narrative.

Is is just me or is Sam Worthington not at all interesting? That dude makes Freddie Prinze Jr. look like Pacino.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I suppose it is a matter of taste, but I saw Avatar five times in 3D in the theater and once last night at home in 2D.

The film is not perfect, but I do rate it among the top 5 of all time. better than any Star Wars film or LOTR. In fact, in my top ten SF movies of all time, James Cameron now holds five of the ten spots, along with T1, T2, Aliens, and The Abyss.

The truth be told, I think Sam Worthington doesn't have the acting chops to be a lead actor for long. I think Avatar is probably the peak of his career, which may not last longer than the proverbial 15 minutes of fame. I think they probably improved upon his performance in the animation lab. I could always be wrong, but I think Worthington's career will in the end be more comparable to Mark Hammil's than Harrison Ford's.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
I totaly loved it at the Theaters in 3d thought it was a good story line and a great ending setup for a sequal But yes its special effects were some of the best imo and cant wait to check it out in bluray on my mini HT
Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

I suppose it is a matter of taste, but I saw Avatar five times in 3D in the theater and once last night at home in 2D.

The film is not perfect, but I do rate it among the top 5 of all time. better than any Star Wars film or LOTR. In fact, in my top ten SF movies of all time, James Cameron now holds five of the ten spots, along with T1, T2, Aliens, and The Abyss.

The truth be told, I think Sam Worthington doesn't have the acting chops to be a lead actor for long. I think Avatar is probably the peak of his career, which may not last longer than the proverbial 15 minutes of fame. I think they probably improved upon his performance in the animation lab. I could always be wrong, but I think Worthington's career will in the end be more comparable to Mark Hammil's than Harrison Ford's.

Im with you on it being better than LOTR as the films did not really hold my attention. But i still think the Star Wars films were much better. The world created in Star Wars far surpasses that of Avatar. Yes the visuals are stunning, but the creation of the Navi is not nearly as immersive as the Jedi and all of the other characters in Star Wars. Maybe I am just a star wars fan so take it for what its worth.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

The Bluray video is better than the 3D theater presentation, by far.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:22 PM

The movie looks great on the small screen. My only complaint is that it didn't come out with any bonus features. I would of loved to have seen how it was made and maybe matchup the actors with the characters on film.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 AM

I was looking for reason to upgrade my projector (PT AE1000) ...this movie was NOT it.
The picture and sound quality of this release were absolutely astounding!
For me, this is the best looking release ive seen yet and it totally maximizes the potential of your equipment. For the first time in a long time I was able to turn up the volume at the beginning of the movie and not touch it again.
(usually im turning volume up and down in heavy bass scenes).
Great review Ralph!
Thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 View Post

I agree with everyone that this is a great VISUAL masterpiece and a very fun movie to watch. However, as a whole, it is not a "blow you away" kind of experience for me. The story has been done before (Fern Gully, Pochahontas, ect..) and the acting is not at an extremely high level. The acting is good, but nothing noteworthy.

I know many people on here care more about the visual and audio quality of the movie than the actual movie itself and i understand that. To each his own. I really loved the movie, but I am not about to declare it the best movie ever as some others are.

FWIW - I dont even think Avatar was the best movie released this week. I would highly recommend Crazy Heart if you haven't seen it already. Bridges won Best Actor for his performance and I think the movie deserved Best Picture as well. Just my 2 cents.

I agree with the simplistic done before plot, that being said I have enough every day drama in my life and do not need to watch more on screen stuff. I like watching a movie that takes me away from every day problems of bills, maybe drinking more than necessary or an argument with in-laws or neighbors, government problems, failing banks, earthquakes and all that entails. I like losing myself in a movie and especially one that I will have to watch 2 or 5 times to see the stuff I missed. My opinion only

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Had a party of 9 last night for this one! None of us had seen it before. We went through 5 batches on the popcorn machine and one peanut butter pie!

This movie provided an evening that reminds me of my love for the hobby! Don't need to repeat what all others have said, but I'm in agreement that it was the best AQ and PQ I've had in my room. It was a runaway for PQ, but AQ could be arguable against a few others. For all the comments of a weak LFE soundtrack, I was waiting to be disappointed. Anything but. It packed a punch where appropriate. Tastefully done.

I had no issue with the story being similar to some others. In fact, had I not read it here, it wouldn't have crossed my mind at all.

I wished for deeper character development. The love story was a little flat. I wanted to care more for the Na'vi, but didn't know that much about them. Not sure how they could have done this without ending up with a 4 hour movie? I would have sat for even that though.

Agreed that it surpasses LOTR, and could be equal to the Star Wars movies. For my tastes, it does not surpase the Indiana Jones series.

I would gladely pay extra for discs that EXCLUDE extras in exchange for the higher quality audio and video files. I realize that wasn't the whole formula for the quality on this disc, but it surely didn't hurt matters.

I watched this on a CIH screen of 168" width. It was disappointing that it was not in 2.4, as the panoramic landscape and grandness of Pandora really called for it. Felt like I had a window into a beautiful world and someone had the curtains half closed.

It has faults, yes, but if you let yourself enjoy the ride it pays off with a great evening at the theater.

PS: Ralph, your trust has been earned. You are a class act!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
Old 04-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santapimp27 View Post

Im with you on it being better than LOTR as the films did not really hold my attention. But i still think the Star Wars films were much better. The world created in Star Wars far surpasses that of Avatar. Yes the visuals are stunning, but the creation of the Navi is not nearly as immersive as the Jedi and all of the other characters in Star Wars. Maybe I am just a star wars fan so take it for what its worth.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan also, but you're basing this on one Avatar movie. Wait until we see the full trilogy of Avatar to fully compare the two worlds.

I also agree with a lot of you. Avatar > Lord of the Rings

LOTR was a crashing bore for me.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:56 AM
dcd

Total agreeing with the score. I was like a kid in a candy store when watching this movie. I've seen it in theater, on Samsung 55" LED, and on Mits projector. Oh... didn't I mentioned that I watched it only 1 time in theater, but 2 times on others?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Liked: 23
I'm fully addicted to this movie. I can't stop watching it and I'm blown away by the PQ every time I pop it in. It's simply incredible!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Had a party of 9 last night for this one! None of us had seen it before. We went through 5 batches on the popcorn machine and one peanut butter pie!

This movie provided an evening that reminds me of my love for the hobby! Don't need to repeat what all others have said, but I'm in agreement that it was the best AQ and PQ I've had in my room. It was a runaway for PQ, but AQ could be arguable against a few others. For all the comments of a weak LFE soundtrack, I was waiting to be disappointed. Anything but. It packed a punch where appropriate. Tastefully done.

I had no issue with the story being similar to some others. In fact, had I not read it here, it wouldn't have crossed my mind at all.

I wished for deeper character development. The love story was a little flat. I wanted to care more for the Na'vi, but didn't know that much about them. Not sure how they could have done this without ending up with a 4 hour movie? I would have sat for even that though.

Agreed that it surpasses LOTR, and could be equal to the Star Wars movies. For my tastes, it does not surpase the Indiana Jones series.

I would gladely pay extra for discs that EXCLUDE extras in exchange for the higher quality audio and video files. I realize that wasn't the whole formula for the quality on this disc, but it surely didn't hurt matters.

I watched this on a CIH screen of 168" width. It was disappointing that it was not in 2.4, as the panoramic landscape and grandness of Pandora really called for it. Felt like I had a window into a beautiful world and someone had the curtains half closed.

It has faults, yes, but if you let yourself enjoy the ride it pays off with a great evening at the theater.

PS: Ralph, your trust has been earned. You are a class act!

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions and for your support Tony.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 AM

The wife and I watched last night on our 80" screen (8' viewing distance) and for the first time watching a movie with the projector, we were BOTH mesmerized. Usually I'm mesmerized and she just rolls her eyes . Not once did my wife tell me to "turn it down" as the explosions rocked the room. A wonderful movie, even if it did have a contemporary plot basis.

When it ended, my wife turned to me with a big grin on her face and said "Looks like we will have to spend some money on this one!" (We did a BlockBuster rental).

Mr.Potts, thank you for once again telling it how you see it and I believe you hit the nail on the head with this one!

NCDaveD
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I just watched it for the first time last night. The visuals were the best i have ever experienced on my 110 " screen. Audio was great IMO Not the over the top lfe like some blockbusters have.
I was expecting to be disapointed by the story and acting due to much of the talk however i thought it was exactly the right balance of story line and action. A movie like Crazy Heart ( i watched 2 days ago ) is 100% story driven so it had better have a great story as well as character development. Avatar is susposed to be a spectacle. Too much story would bog down the movie and take away from its real purpose to entertain.

Dolby Atmos 9.2.4 Marantz 7009 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 bluray player Jvc 4910 projector Benq 1070 projector
Carada 110"BW screen Monster HTS 5100 MK11 power conditioner
Golden Ear Triton 7 L&R &super center XL Emotiva erm 6.2 sides ert 8.3 rear s
Emotiva erd-1 front wides 4 erd-1 on ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub Outlaw LFM-1-plus sub
Old 04-25-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post

I hope this "Super Bit" style of putting a movie on BD takes off. Ditching the clutter for a full disk is just awesome. Thank you James Cameron.

This looked absolutley spectacular.

THAT... is EXACTLY... how I feel. The extras should be on a separate disk, to MAXIMIZE the bit-rate (of video and audio) of the feature, itself. Absolutely.

Why include a dvd of the movie when they could, instead, put the extras on a dvd, thus leaving the blu-ray space to showcase the movie in the best possible way?

Makes sense to me.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

The disc wasn't rated "100" the audio/video were. I don't rate the disc as a whole but separately rate the audio/video and then the film itself.

Thanks for your explanation; I don't know where I got the idea you were rating the disc... unless maybe it was the title I read on this section of the forum which says, "AVS Blu-ray DISC REVIEWS."

At any rate, I was just hoping to see the full story about how this film was made, and now I'll have to wait for the next disc.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 AM

I'm another who never made it to the theater, and watched this visual feast last night for the first time.
like everyone else on the planet, I found the visual presentation truly phenomenal and quite mesmerizing, and it is hard to imagine how amazing this movie would have been in 3D from a strictly visual standpoint.
on the other hand, I was left equally astounded that anyone on the planet could think this film was the "best" film of the year or a "great" movie.
imo it felt curiously emotionless as regards its subject matter, and was extremely awkward in the heavy-handedness with which it moved its thread thin plot forward.
I felt like I was watching a fairly routine comic book, and though this film will always be notable for its groundbreaking visuals, as a mature sci-fi drama it was severely lacking in the area of character development and in a creation of a storyline capable of generating any strong feelings in me as a viewer.
overall the characters felt extremely wooden to me, and imo the digital process still has a long way to go in the area of be able to effectively convey the nuances and subtle emotion of the human expression.
there is no doubt that this is one incredible blu-ray though, and is certainly one of the very best as far as overall presentation.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

What's up with this guy who reviews films for AVS. First he said he never saw the original Bad Lieutenant now he never saw Avatar in theatres. I can't trust his opinion on anything and that's including the quality of a bluray itself. Obviously this guys not a film buff.

You've got to be joking, right? Wow...they've invented a new breed of idiot.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

Thanks for your explanation; I don't know where I got the idea you were rating the disc... unless maybe it was the title I read on this section of the forum which says, "AVS Blu-ray DISC REVIEWS."

At any rate, I was just hoping to see the full story about how this film was made, and now I'll have to wait for the next disc.

Do a search on Google for "technology behind Avatar" or something along those lines and you'll have a ton of reading material to go over.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll be watching this one tonight and I have a feeling my 60'' Kuro display is really going to like it as will I .
Old 04-25-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

A new demo disc! Nuff said.

And with the price on release day, this is probably one of the best purchases one can ever/will make.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Do a search on Google for "technology behind Avatar" or something along those lines and you'll have a ton of reading material to go over.

Greetings,

Welcome to the discussion old buddy..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Thanks, I have read some of the bits and pieces, for example:

"Creating the virtual world of Pandora required over a petabyte of digital storage (Transformers "Revenge of the Fallen" needed about 140 terabytes). The final footage for Avatar occupied 17.28 gigabytes of storage per minute. To help finish preparing the special effects sequences on time, Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) was brought in, working alongside Weta Digital to create the battle sequences."
"http://www.junauza.com/2010/01/technology-behind-avatar-movie.html

But like I said, I was hoping for more of the full story on a second disc, which is commonly provided on titles with FAR smaller budgets. Considering the director and movie preach such a strong message against the evils of capitalism and human greed, they sure seem to be milking the hell out of this one for money. But like I said, before; that's why I only rented it.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Watched it last night. Blu-ray to Pioneer 141 via Oppo 83. Doesn't get any better then that.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 PM

I bought the BluRay when it came out on the 22nd but couldn't watch it due to the firmware upgrade issue on my Pioneer BDP320. It worked on my PS3, but I wouldn't have it. I am just waiting for the sun to set, before I will treat myself to the movie.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony.613 View Post

I bought the BluRay when it came out on the 22nd but couldn't watch it due to the firmware upgrade issue on my Pioneer BDP320. It worked on my PS3, but I wouldn't have it. I am just waiting for the sun to set, before I will treat myself to the movie.

x2 I cant wait to watch it tonight .
Old 04-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigScreenDreamer View Post

THAT... is EXACTLY... how I feel. The extras should be on a separate disk, to MAXIMIZE the bit-rate (of video and audio) of the feature, itself. Absolutely.

Why include a dvd of the movie when they could, instead, put the extras on a dvd, thus leaving the blu-ray space to showcase the movie in the best possible way?

Makes sense to me.

I was also wondering why they released the movie on BlueRay which included a DVD of the same, until I tried playing it on my BDP320. Thought the DVD movie was to keep people from going crazy after finding out that they needed firmware upgrades to watch the blueray
Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rony.613 View Post

I was also wondering why they released the movie on BlueRay which included a DVD of the same, until I tried playing it on my BDP320. Thought the DVD movie was to keep people from going crazy after finding out that they needed firmware upgrades to watch the blueray

Im hoping my firmware on my Sony BDP550 should be ok since im running the V020 Latest firmware already and its played everything i've threw at it thus far so guess i'll find out tonight

Tags
Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies