Avatar (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is the best my HDTV has ever looked. By far. This movie makes me want to go out and get a display that will completely fill the gap between my wall mounted L/R speakers.
As for the aspect ratio; I might be in the minority, but I thought it was absolutely great that a BD with this quality actually used my whole display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

Stunning image and audio indeed, reference quality. Now the studio should release the extras only as a separate blu-ray!

Im looking more forward to the sequel !
post #183 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Saw this in Xpand 3D at Hollywood Arclight Dome and was blown away. Anyone who hasn't had the pleasure to experience the Dome and/or Xpand tech should check them both out. I found the 2D version to be more detailed and the colors more vibrant on My Pio Elite. Great review, Ralph. Couldn't agree more. This is THE reference disc to date.
post #184 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

Avatar is a work of fiction, regardless of whatever symbolism or subtext you choose to see contained within it. It's just a movie.

Some people like to get too deep with movies like this. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

And in cinema, yes, the Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves plot is tired. It's been done in numerous movies as well as in television over a great many years. Avatar is a very fancy and quite spectacular movie, but the plot is a contrivance of the movies I mentioned above.

However, considering that it is en vogue these days for studios to produce high budget reboots of movies, comic book characters, and tv shows from decades past...This has become the norm in modern cinema. Take something that's already been done. And just reboot it taking creative license.

Just my 2 cents....Sorry for getting off track.

- Tim

Never apologize for telling the truth.
post #185 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ser182 View Post

Tvin2000 I dont know if starwars has lost it's appeal. If you have boys like i do it is watched at least 5 time a month. They love them all. As cheesy as the animated one was, my sons loved it. So i dont think Starwars will ever die. I should not have let them see the ending of Avatar but my boys loved it. They understand it is just a made up story. Thankfully or my wife would have killed me.

i may have worded it the wrong way. i don't feel its lost appeal,but there are many that have. starwars at the time[1977],was something to behold.i was there. that opening shot of that ship coming over your head is burned in my mind forever. that was then [starwars]this is now [avatar].

that is impressive that your boys watch it that many times. im sure when starwars gets to blu-ray a whole new wave of interest start again. on that note lets hope lucas get as picky about pq as he is when making the films.
post #186 of 387 Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpoes View Post

According to the IMDB link, it was offered to theaters both ways. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I believe the 16:9 choice was not native, it was edited that way for the 3D theaters, and offered in the scope for 2D theaters and certain 3D.

Thanks.

I didn't realize that.
Your link didn't bring me to the info, but I found it here:
Link
Aspect ratio

1.78 : 1 (IMAX 3-D version) (2K 3-D version: constant image width venues)
2.35 : 1 (2-D version) (2K 3-D version: constant image height venues)
post #187 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 05:04 AM

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Semp1
What's up with this guy who reviews films for AVS. First he said he never saw the original Bad Lieutenant now he never saw Avatar in theatres. I can't trust his opinion on anything and that's including the quality of a bluray itself. Obviously this guys not a film buff.

Has this poster looked at Ralphs set-up? Does he know that watching in a set up like that is at least as good as a comercial theater, and better than most? If there is a technical flaw in a film it will surely show up. Ralphs opinions on the technical side as well as the substance side are used by the vast majority of us when we are thinking about a BR purchase.

I don't care if Ralph never leaves his theater as long as he keeps giving us his reviews.

Tony
post #188 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I did not see Avatar at the cinema, so I watched it for the first time at home.

The storyline is very poor, predictable and cliched, acting is ok but hardly good, did not find my self caring much if the giant blue smurfs got wiped out and it only brought a tear to my eye once. It maybe polished and professionally done but overall a very oh hum experience, so gripping I had a break an hour and a half in and watched the rest of the film latter.

Yes it has good picture quality a digital film, no grain, sharp, pretty, colorful and vibrant. The pretty picture is the only thing that saved it from the fast forward button, but I do not think it deserved any awards for cinematography. It lacks diversity and striking visuals unless you have never played a computer game or seen cgi cartoons. It is too much green forest and blue people mostly shot from the same distance with the same depth of field. It looks too much all the same, it maybe eye candy but I soon got sick of it.

A very predicable plot, so-so acting and lack of variety in visuals combined to make it dull viewing. More like a computer game or cgi cartoon than a film. I can see it rapidly ending up in the bargain bins as I doubt its appeal will outlive the hype.
post #189 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

I don't care if Ralph never leaves his theater as long as he keeps giving us his reviews.

Tony

I'll second that.
post #190 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM

Simply spectacular! I watched it on my 100" screen with JVC projector and right after that on my 60" Kuro. I must say, it looked amazing on the projector but spectacular on Kuro. Images pop-out on the PDP and give a feeling of depth even on the 2D, and the colors look beyond description! I am going to watch it again this weekend, watching back-to-back on different displays gave an impression as if watching it for the first time.
post #191 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I'll second that.

So true. Ralph is giving us blu-ray reviews, not theatre reviews. I think his reviews are excellant, and if he doesnt see the movie in the theatre, what difference does that make in his bluray review?

Way to go Ralph.

never take life seriously
post #192 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post

So true. Ralph is giving us blu-ray reviews, not theatre reviews. I think his reviews are excellant, and if he doesnt see the movie in the theatre, what difference does that make in his bluray review?

Way to go Ralph.

Greetings,

Thanks for the support guys. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #193 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 01:13 PM

Can anyone help me setup my Onkyo receiver to properly play the audio in Avatar.

My Onkyo HTS7200 system has the following options:
DTS Neo:6
DTS Express
DTS decoder
Dolby TrueHD
Dolby Digital
DTS-ES Matrix 6.1
Dolby Digital Plus
DTS-ES Discrete 6.1
DTS-HD Master Audio
Dolby Pro Logic IIz
DTS-HD High Resolution
post #194 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 03:05 PM

DTS-HD Master Audio
post #195 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post

DTS-HD Master Audio

Thanks...
After trying it again, it seems the only time the red DTS icon lights up on the receiver is in Neo:6 mode. Which is weird because that mode is I believe more designed for listening to music. I wish the Onkyo would just automatically pick the best mode for me. Could it be I don't have something set right on the PS3 which is playing the blu-ray ?
post #196 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 PM

I had an absolute blast watching this film! I missed it in the theatre, but will have to see the extended version when it returns to theatres in the summer. I was very impressed. The pq was just flooring, and the audio was simply amazing. My set-up is missing rear surrounds, after watching Avatar, I put in an order for some. Can't wait to watch it again.
A little off topic: I have read a few things out there where others are knocking the movie for this or that, and saying if any reviewer gave this movie more than 2 1/2 stars, it brings their creditability into question. Well to answer this, Roger Ebert gave Avatar 4 stars, I doubt he will have to return his Pulitzer.
Great review Ralph, keep up the incredible work!
post #197 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertiaPro View Post

Simply spectacular! I watched it on my 100" screen with JVC projector and right after that on my 60" Kuro. I must say, it looked amazing on the projector but spectacular on Kuro. Images pop-out on the PDP and give a feeling of depth even on the 2D, and the colors look beyond description! I am going to watch it again this weekend, watching back-to-back on different displays gave an impression as if watching it for the first time.

I agree totaly I feel the same way I saw it in 3d at theater and loved it but was chomping at the bit for the Bluray version and it arrived I felt the same way about how good it looked my 60'' Kuro the colors just popped and the detail was remarkable it looked like 2d and a half if there was that version lol . The Audio was very good also it felt like I was in the jungle and caught myself looking around like was going to be attacked. This movie really pulled me in , my GF and myself really enjoyed it . Now im looking forward to watching it again it seemed like there was so much I didnt notice the first time at the theater that I saw the second time at home in my HT . Im almost just as excited to watch it again as I was the first and second time. When Ralph reviewed this and gave it his ratings I knew it was going to be a winner on Bluray also he nails it everytime and has great taste No wonder Avatar broke records in sales at theaters and Bluray what a enjoyable Reference level BD
post #198 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOD4PLASMA View Post

I had an absolute blast watching this film! I missed it in the theatre, but will have to see the extended version when it returns to theatres in the summer. I was very impressed. The pq was just flooring, and the audio was simply amazing. My set-up is missing rear surrounds, after watching Avatar, I put in an order for some. Can't wait to watch it again.
A little off topic: I have read a few things out there where others are knocking the movie for this or that, and saying if any reviewer gave this movie more than 2 1/2 stars, it brings their creditability into question. Well to answer this, Roger Ebert gave Avatar 4 stars, I doubt he will have to return his Pulitzer.
Great review Ralph, keep up the incredible work!

x2 !!
post #199 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM

Liked: 16
Looks phenomenal on my KRP-500M but even better on my Samsung UN55B8500!! (had to throw that in)..and four stars for Avatar? Roger Ebert has certainly softened his resolve significantly since Siskel's death. Entertainment and picture-wise? Perhaps, but story and acting-wise? Absolutely not..
post #200 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Yep, 100...I totally agree. Actually it goes to "11"... I saw the 3D in the theater but, as I predicted, the Bluray topped it. I told my my wife as we were watching this that it is the best bluray I have ever seen. I did enjoy the story as well.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #201 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 05:58 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

My only question now is, do i buy this bare bone Blu Ray (no added features and extras, etc..) or should i wait for the one with the extra features and extended edition? And how long more before they come out with the extended versions? I heard sometime in November is this correct?

Just don't want to double dip.

Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

My two cents... buy this bare bones release since they used as much available space on the BD for the feature. There's a good chance that on the deluxe edition that comes out late this year the feature might share disc space with a extra or two so the PQ might take a slight hit.

post #202 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=DARQMAGE;18549684]Looks phenomenal on my KRP-500M but even better on my Samsung UN55B8500!! (had to throw that in (Sorry had to throw that in )Theres always a different angle
post #203 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoessand View Post

though there are a few blurry parts at least on my setup mainly when looking at some1 face and the back ground is blurry.

I think this is intentional. It's depth of field. It's a limitation of "real" cameras with lenses and it is used artistically sometimes to focus attention on something (in this case, some1's face). So they fake it in CGI. Your eyes also have this depth of field property too. When you are looking at some1's face near you, a distant background is out of focus. Having the background in focus would bring it too close and make it too important. It would flatten the shot more than the director (or whoever) wanted.
post #204 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

I told my my wife as we were watching this that it is the best bluray I have ever seen.

I didn't even have to tell my g'friend. She was completely blown away. She said, "This changes movie making." and "That's the best thing I ever seen in your theater." I really blew her mind.
post #205 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

I really blew her mind.

I'm censoring myself here

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #206 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm censoring myself here

Oops... a fortunate typo. I meant "It"... really.
post #207 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Definitley agree with your review Ralph. A fantastic film!!

Frank

post #208 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovercat View Post

Well I did not see Avatar at the cinema, so I watched it for the first time at home.

The storyline is very poor, predictable and cliched, acting is ok but hardly good, did not find my self caring much if the giant blue smurfs got wiped out and it only brought a tear to my eye once. It maybe polished and professionally done but overall a very oh hum experience, so gripping I had a break an hour and a half in and watched the rest of the film latter.

Yes it has good picture quality a digital film, no grain, sharp, pretty, colorful and vibrant. The pretty picture is the only thing that saved it from the fast forward button, but I do not think it deserved any awards for cinematography. It lacks diversity and striking visuals unless you have never played a computer game or seen cgi cartoons. It is too much green forest and blue people mostly shot from the same distance with the same depth of field. It looks too much all the same, it maybe eye candy but I soon got sick of it.

A very predicable plot, so-so acting and lack of variety in visuals combined to make it dull viewing. More like a computer game or cgi cartoon than a film. I can see it rapidly ending up in the bargain bins as I doubt its appeal will outlive the hype.

Cartoon!

Frank

post #209 of 387 Old 04-27-2010, 11:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

QuoteQuote:
Originally Posted by Semp1
What's up with this guy who reviews films for AVS. First he said he never saw the original Bad Lieutenant now he never saw Avatar in theatres. I can't trust his opinion on anything and that's including the quality of a bluray itself. Obviously this guys not a film buff.

Has this poster looked at Ralphs set-up? Does he know that watching in a set up like that is at least as good as a comercial theater, and better than most? If there is a technical flaw in a film it will surely show up. Ralphs opinions on the technical side as well as the substance side are used by the vast majority of us when we are thinking about a BR purchase.

Tony

I agree Tony, Ralph does a great job. For some people jealosy is a terrible thing.

Quote:

Does he know that watching in a set up like that is at least as good as a comercial theater, and better than most? If there is a technical flaw in a film it will surely show up.

Exactly you get what you paid for.

Frank

post #210 of 387 Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM

Liked: 12
Has anyone else tried this - watching Avatar with real 3d glasses with one lens popped out. I watched it on my projector last night like this and was amazed at a lot of the scenes. It looked as good as the fake 3d in clash of the titans. It also made the picture look more like it did in the theater where I saw it. Amazing!!

Here's how it works -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulfrich_effect
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page