Feature running time: 104 minutes
Genre: Drama/Biography

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Emily Blunt, Rupert Friend, Mark Strong, Miranda Richardson, Paul Bettany, Thomas Kretschmann, Harriet Walter, Jim Broadbent
Directed by: Jean-Marc Vallee
Music by: Ilan Eshkeri
Written by: Julian Fellowes
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 20, 2010

"Her country. Her heart. Her Majesty"

Film Synopsis:

Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend star in the lavish historical drama, THE YOUNG VICTORIA. Resolved to establish her authority over those who rule in her stead, a young and inexperienced Queen Victoria (Blunt) draws strength from the love of Albert (Friend), the handsome prince who’s stolen her heart. Based on the courtship and early reign of England’s longest-serving monarch, THE YOUNG VICTORIA is a majestic tale of romance, intrigue and power.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174343&d=1272561929

I generally tend to enjoy biographical films, especially if they are well done. I had seen the trailer for The young Victoria and wasn’t left with much of a desire to see it. When the Blu-ray Disc showed up for review I wasn’t expecting much. I have said it before and I will again, one of the things I enjoy most about reviewing movies is coming across good films that I probably wouldn’t have watched otherwise. I thoroughly enjoyed The young Victoria and found it to be a wonderfully engaging character driven story.

Victoria was the Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain from June 1837 until her death in January of 1901. Her reign as the Queen lasted 63 years and 7 months, longer than that of any other British monarch before or since, and her reign is the longest of any female monarch in history. The time of her reign is known as the Victorian era, a period of industrial, cultural, political, scientific, and military progress within the United Kingdom. The film focuses on her early years, briefly as a child, and later as a teen and subsequent successor to the throne at 18 after the death of her uncle King William IV. It carefully depicts her struggles and dissatisfaction with her childhood and the controlling nature of the “Kensington System” an elaborate set of rules and protocols devised by her mother and her live in lover, Sir John Conroy, to prevent the princess from ever meeting people whom they deemed undesirable, and to render her weak and utterly dependent upon them.

Victoria is also shown to be astute, gregarious, formidable, and a lover of the arts. Her youth and inexperience with politics leave her at the mercy of others who advise her for the purposes of meeting their own agendas. That is until she meets and falls in love with Prince Albert. After their marriage the two would rule as partners for twenty years until Albert’s premature death from Typhoid at the age of 42. Victoria would carry on and become one of the most revered and longest reigning monarch in English history.

Emily Blunt delivers the best performance I have seen from her to date in the title role. A film like this lives or dies by the strength of its cast and this one features an excellent ensemble that delivers. Mark Strong as Sir John Conroy, Miranda Richardson as the Duchess of Kent (Victoria’s mother), Paul Bettany as Lord Melbourne, Jim Broadbent as King William, Rupert Friend as Prince Albert, and Harriet Walter as Queen Adelaide. The story is told with high regard, passion, and a dramatic flare that conveys the essence of Victoria’s strengths, weaknesses and love for both her country/people and the love of her life. This film doesn’t necessarily require a deep interest in the subject matter and can be enjoyed by everyone that appreciates a well executed drama that is supported by a great cast/performances and apt direction.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some mild sensuality, a scene of violence, and brief incidental language and smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The young Victoria comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=174342&d=1272561929

This presentation features an extensive and visually pleasing color palette that offers lush, vibrant textures and detailed panoramic vista views of the landscapes and palatial structures that is impressive. The diverse colors and intricate patterns used in the period clothing worn by the cast looked excellent in high definition. Flesh tones are wholesome and natural with appreciable complexional detail and tonal variety. The video has a rewarding and dimensionally strong quality that offers transparent resolution and meticulous fine rendering. Whites are brilliant and crisp and blacks are stable and deep with noticeable gradational stages that enhances depth in the low lit and shadowy areas of the palatial dwellings. This is a well rounded and reference quality high definition presentation that is boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material.

The DTS-HD Master Audio sound is equally impressive and proves to be quite involving. This is a fairly active sound design that supports the story through use of beautifully orchestrated music and refined high level detail. The massed strings and rousing choral during the coronation sequence sounds incredible. The mix generates an involving surround experience that provides excellent balance and 360 degree envelopment that comes in the form of rich atmospherics and extended dynamic range. LFE is present in furtherance of the music and while it never achieves sub bass frequencies, it can easily be felt throughout the room. Dialogue is reproduced as well as I have heard as it has superb clarity and excellent room penetration. For a character driven film this audio presentation delivers opulent detail and spatial, room filling sound that is quite impressive.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony’s new Movie IQ feature which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie.

• 17 deleted/extended scenes

• The making of young Victoria – 5 minute featurette

• Lavish history: A look at the costumes and locations – 7 minute featurette

• The coronation – 2 minute feature

• The wedding – 2 minute feature

• The real Queen Victoria – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Previews: The imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Hachi: A dog’s tale, Not the Messiah, Extraordinary measures, Nine, Michael Jackson’s This is it, Dear John, A knight’s tale, The other Boleyn girl

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=174332&d=1272543739

Final Thoughts:

The young Victoria is a compelling, well acted and beautifully shot film based on the early life of Queen Victoria, Great Britain’s longest reigning monarch. I appreciated its factual basis and found myself drawn in by its gratifying script and strong performances by the ensemble cast, most notably Emily Blunt. Its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc from Sony features reference quality video and resplendent lossless surround sound. The bonus supplements are the same as those on the DVD release and consist of several short features that offer brief background on the production and title subject. If you’re a fan this disc is highly recommended. For genre fans that aren’t familiar with it it’s easily worth a rental so take it for a spin on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-29-2010, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have this movie waiting for me at home right now....thanks for the review!
post #3 of 18 Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Even though this film is more likely to be classified as a chick flick, I still liked it.
Emily Blunt did a fine job acting and looked great in this role.
The scenery in this blu-ray were both lavish and breathtaking.
I found this to be a very enjoyable rental.
Thanks Ralph for the review.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Actually enjoyed this movie. Somewhat of an Emily Blunt fan. Thought the story was great as well.

Collect!!

Cheers
post #5 of 18 Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I rented this for my mother and she really liked it. I tend to skip over these sort of movies, but I have heard great things about it so I may have to re-rent it for myself.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-30-2010, 05:26 AM

Liked: 11
The Art Direction was extraordinary, Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend were perfect, Miranda Richardson always a standout. I didn't expect to be so captivated by the story.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-30-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob West View Post

The Art Direction was extraordinary, Emily Blunt and Rupert Friend were perfect, Miranda Richardson always a standout. I didn't expect to be so captivated by the story.

Greetings,

I agree Rob.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great movie! Great review! I really enjoyed this movie... beutifully shot and the music was great...

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #9 of 18 Old 05-01-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Great movie! Great review! I really enjoyed this movie... beutifully shot and the music was great...

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Chris!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 18 Old 05-07-2010, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Ralph, thank you for your detailed review. I have to say that this film resonated with me, maybe more than you based on your rating.

My comment after this movie finished was "Now thats how you make a film!"

Loved it. Loved it. Wonderful film, between the complex love story, stunning picture, and the strategy and networking amongst the nobles, I found the film incredibly fun to watch. This is especially true since it is based on true characters.

The picture quality was dazzling. Beautiful outdoor shots, and very detailed well contrasted indoor scenes as well. Costumes were superb. Sound quality was good with clear dialogue. Very important for a non dynamic soundtrack like this which is based on the characters, not action.

The entire cast was excellent and performed well. Spot on.

PQ 5 out of 5, SQ 4 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5.

Dan
post #11 of 18 Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Ralph, thank you for your detailed review. I have to say that this film resonated with me, maybe more than you based on your rating.

My comment after this movie finished was "Now thats how you make a film!"

Loved it. Loved it. Wonderful film, between the complex love story, stunning picture, and the strategy and networking amongst the nobles, I found the film incredibly fun to watch. This is especially true since it is based on true characters.

The picture quality was dazzling. Beautiful outdoor shots, and very detailed well contrasted indoor scenes as well. Costumes were superb. Sound quality was good with clear dialogue. Very important for a non dynamic soundtrack like this which is based on the characters, not action.

The entire cast was excellent and performed well. Spot on.

PQ 5 out of 5, SQ 4 out of 5, Film 4.5 out of 5.

Dan

I'm in total agreement!! Superb film.-- but I'd give the film itself 5 out of 5! And should be categorized as "Excellent Historical Drama"-- not "chick flick."
I rented it this weekend. I'm buying it soon.

Ralph, you continue your most valuable service to the viewers of AVS Forum. Thanks for everything!!

Joe in NOLA
post #12 of 18 Old 05-10-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Not to be a contrarian, but I found it a bit dull. Historical yes. The story dragged like a history book... but perhaps I expected a bit more of a controversial story.

Reference picture?? Not to my eyes but very good none the less. Some long pans looked a bit out of focus.

Nice review.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #13 of 18 Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

I watched this with my mother tonight! I have to say I rather enjoyed this movie! My mother enjoys these chick/love stories and was surprised that I liked it. For some reason it just didn't seem like a chick movie but did have that he/she sparkle now and then! This movie seems to be one of those chick flicks that a guy can tolerate and possibly like.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I watched The Young Victoria BD last night. Like Ralph, I didn't expect much but ended up loving it. Also like Ralph, I thought the PQ was demonstration quality. Rarely have I seen a film as sumptuously beautiful as The Young Victoria. Every frame is exquisitely lighted and the locales and costumes were incredible.

Emily Blunt is a rare talent, perhaps the most gifted young actress working today. She could not have been better than she was as the bright and articulate but appallingly naive young Victoria. Blunt has a rare ability to portray edgy characters in a way that makes them charming, too. That's hard to do.

Rupert Friend, as Victoria's consort, Albert, was just fine in what seemed to me to be a fairly routine pretty boy role. The rest of the supporting cast, though, was incredible. Jim Broadbent, as usual, was out of this world as Victoria's uncle, King William, and Paul Bettany played the intriguingly ambiguous Lord Melbourne brilliantly. Miranda Richardson as Victoria's credulous mother was terrific, too, as was the always excellent Mark Strong as the despicable Sir John Conroy. Nobody does characters we love to hate better than Strong.

Don't make the mistake of dismissing The Young Victoria as a "chick flick." It is much more than that, a well written film based on historical fact and it works. Highly, highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10 -- at least. Even my 17 year old grandson loved it.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched The Young Victoria BD last night. Like Ralph, I didn't expect much but ended up loving it. Also like Ralph, I thought the PQ was demonstration quality. Rarely have I seen a film as sumptuously beautiful as The Young Victoria. Every frame is exquisitely lighted and the locales and costumes were incredible.

Emily Blunt is a rare talent, perhaps the most gifted young actress working today. She could not have been better than she was as the bright and articulate but appallingly naive young Victoria. Blunt has a rare ability to portray edgy characters in a way that makes them charming, too. That's hard to do.

Rupert Friend, as Victoria's consort, Albert, was just fine in what seemed to me to be a fairly routine pretty boy role. The rest of the supporting cast, though, was incredible. Jim Broadbent, as usual, was out of this world as Victoria's uncle, King William, and Paul Bettany played the intriguingly ambiguous Lord Melbourne brilliantly. Miranda Richardson as Victoria's credulous mother was terrific, too, as was the always excellent Mark Strong as the despicable Sir John Conroy. Nobody does characters we love to hate better than Strong.

Don't make the mistake of dismissing The Young Victoria as a "chick flick." It is much more than that, a well written film based on historical fact and it works. Highly, highly recommended, 8 Stars out of 10 -- at least. Even my 17 year old grandson loved it.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions gwsat and I completely agree about Mark Strong.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 18 Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

After thinking about it I'm a little surprised this movie wasn't up for more awards and could have been considered for best picture IMHO. I've certainly seen other movies up for best picture that couldn't even loiter in the shadows of this movie.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

nice review Id like to see it
post #18 of 18 Old 01-14-2011, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the review. The wife and I just screened this last night. I just wanted to nominate this as one of the best sounding costume/biography dramas I have ever heard. Directional sounds, directional music, and crystal clear dialog even at low levels. Sound and ADR folks need to look up the produces and take some notes.

Cheers, Michael

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Young Victoria Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page