Saving Private Ryan (Blu-ray) Sapphire Series - Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Saving Private Ryan (Blu-ray) Sapphire Series - Official AVSForum Review

Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

snsguy's Avatar snsguy
02:12 PM Liked: 10
post #61 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

If you had the disc I had, you could not have been engrossed enough to not notice the lip sync issue..it was beyond bad..not subtle at all. The worst I have ever seen.

To be honest I wonder if there is a bad batch or a glitch happening with certain equipment. I remember turning it on for the first time a couple days ago and see some lip syn issues but I just went into the receiver menu and switched it on and off and it seemed to have fixed it. I t very well could be incompatibility with equipment or a glitch couldn't it. I know that every so often when I stick in Sherlock HOlmes I have to go into the Blu-ray menu and switch settings on and off because it won't play they Master Audio. Every other disc works great just that one does it. Problem with the disc or the blu-ray player, I don't know which I just knwo how to fix it. I do think that this is a great blu release for both the audio and video. It reminded me of my grandfather who fought in the Phillipines and what he went through during that time. The film really makes you think and brings emotions up that don't come up to often.

SNSGUY
heyyall's Avatar heyyall
02:27 PM Liked: 10
post #62 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 214
When I think of DVDs I want to replace with BD, this is near the top of the list. I haven't yet replaced the DVD but this thread tempted me to pop in my DTS DVD. I'm amazed that this DVD holds up well with many run of the mill BDs. I think I might be heading out to the store soon to make the upgrade. The comments regarding the opening scene are interesting. You have to figure this was a family trip to see the site, so I would imagine numerous conversations regarding the importance were had before hand. In my own experience with my own kids, there would have been a fair amount of "you better behave or else", too. Then again, settings like this create a mood that is almost chilling. I remember our trip to Pearl Harbor and recent trips to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington, VA. If I saw kids goofing off in the opening scene I would not have found it genuine since in real life on many occasions, I have never seen the such.
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959
03:15 PM Liked: 51
post #63 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Thanks for your comments..

Regards,

Your welcome Ralph. I read WAY more of your reviews than I comment on and frankly...you are theeeEEEeee premier dvd/bluray reviewer in the states today. Please keep up the amazing work.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
03:27 PM Liked: 688
post #64 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 9,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

If you had the disc I had, you could not have been engrossed enough to not notice the lip sync issue..it was beyond bad..not subtle at all. The worst I have ever seen.

Greetings,

This is strange indeed. From what I have seen it appears that most don't seem to have or notice the problem. I wonder what the common denominator is?

Regards,
Dave Vaughn's Avatar Dave Vaughn
05:30 PM Liked: 108
post #65 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 4,358
I didn't have any major lip-sync issues either. In Chapter 15 when Hanks is talking with Damon, Hanks dialog is off by a frame or two but Damon's is spot-on, which leads me to believe this is an ADR issue, not a disc issue. I think the problems people are having are equipment related and not the disc. I've tested it with a Samsung BD-C6900, Oppo BDP-83 and a Pioneer BD drive and each is exactly the same.
06:15 PM Liked: 688
post #66 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 9,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I didn't have any major lip-sync issues either. In Chapter 15 when Hanks is talking with Damon, Hanks dialog is off by a frame or two but Damon's is spot-on, which leads me to believe this is an ADR issue, not a disc issue. I think the problems people are having are equipment related and not the disc. I've tested it with a Samsung BD-C6900, Oppo BDP-83 and a Pioneer BD drive and each is exactly the same.

Greetings,

I agree. My question still stands as I wonder where the common factor is since I have also heard from those that have the Oppo and also experienced significant audio/video synch problems.

Regards,
quickfire's Avatar quickfire
07:33 PM Liked: 10
post #67 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 1,381
I still have vivid memorys of the german that the squad released coming back to engage them in battle then slowly killing the soldier with the knife........while UPUM(I believe that was his name) just stood outside doing nothing.......that scene is the most disturbing,horrifying and intense scene I have ever watched in my life!
It pisses me off everytime I watch it knowing UPUM could have atleast tried to help the guy(didn't he have all kinds of ammo and a gun???) .....but UPUM was a coward!!!!!!!
pronghorn/az's Avatar pronghorn/az
09:30 PM Liked: 17
post #68 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 1,343
My EQ is an Integra 8.2 receiver and a Panny 80 using the analog in/outs for my sound. I will watch the movie again more closely to see if there is any issues.

Jeff
Yosemite Dan's Avatar Yosemite Dan
11:15 PM Liked: 12
post #69 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

I still have vivid memorys of the german that the squad released coming back to engage them in battle then slowly killing the soldier with the knife........while UPUM(I believe that was his name) just stood outside doing nothing.......that scene is the most disturbing,horrifying and intense scene I have ever watched in my life!
It pisses me off everytime I watch it!!!!!!!

Actually that's a common misperception of that knife scene. It's a different German soldier (albeit they look similar) that does the killing with the knife from the German that was let go earlier who did come back to fight. Still a chilling scene nonetheless.
11:54 PM Liked: 10
post #70 of 136
05-08-2010 | Posts: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Actually that's a common misperception of that knife scene. It's a different German soldier (albeit they look similar) that does the killing with the knife from the German that was let go earlier who did come back to fight. Still a chilling scene nonetheless.

Its the same guy they released RIGHT????......After he kills the guy,he leaves and passes UPUM on the stairs and just looks at him and moves on letting UPUM live!!!!!!
The only reason he doesn't kill UPUM is he knew if it werent for UPUM the other soldiers would have killed him when he was a prisoner of war with UPUMS squad!!!
05:01 AM Liked: 688
post #71 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 9,510
Quote:

Its the same guy they released RIGHT????......After he kills the guy,he leaves and passes UPUM on the stairs and just looks at him and moves on letting UPUM live!!!!!!
The only reason he doesn't kill UPUM is he knew if it werent for UPUM the other soldiers would have killed him when he was a prisoner of war with UPUMS squad!!!

Greetings,

quickfire, sorry but it isn't the same soldier (referred to in the story as Steamboat Willie) that Capt. Miller/Upham released earlier. He does come back later in the film (in the finale).

Regards,
05:06 AM Liked: 10
post #72 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 1,381
Just bought a copy at Wal-Mart today.......been over 8 years since I last watched this movie.
05:12 AM Liked: 10
post #73 of 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

Quote:

Greetings,

quickfire, sorry but it isn't the same soldier (referred to in the story as Steamboat Willie) that Capt. Miller/Upham released earlier. He does come back later in the film (in the finale).

Regards,

Wow......All this time I thought it was the same German soldier.
Why does the soldier not kill Upum?
Either way that scene is hard to forget once you watch it.........atleast it was for me!!!
07:43 AM Liked: 688
post #74 of 136
Quote:

Wow......All this time I thought it was the same German soldier.
Why does the soldier not kill Upum?
Either way that scene is hard to forget once you watch it.........atleast it was for me!!!

Greetings,

The reason is left up to interpretation I suppose. I think it was because he didn't see Upham as a threat, he (the German solider) was unarmed, AND he had just finished killing a man in a life/death struggle and had enough for the moment.

Regards,
HVisone's Avatar HVisone
10:22 AM Liked: 10
post #75 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare View Post

I suppose it depends on the family. As the son of a WWII vet (U.S. Navy, Pacific Theater) and the father of U.S. Army sergeant serving his second deployment in Iraq, my perspective may be skewed. I think even the most callous and insensitive of adolescents could be overwhelmed by the American Cemetary above Omaha Beach. Upon entering, one is confronted with thousands upon thousands of crosses, each marking the death of an American serving in Europe. I doubt most kids would be chewing gum and talking about their boredom when confronted with such evidence of mortality. Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not.

All I can say is about my visits there.

I been two places where the place was just completely overwhelming.....Neither of those places were Washington DC or Gettsburg although Gettysburg was a bit moving, much like the national cemetery in Arlington VA.

One of those two places is the cemetary close to Omaha. When I was there, I saw young children to people in their 80's. No one, not even the kids, not the foreigners (meaning non-americans), no one was acting out of place.

Same for the other: The Arizona memorial. You get there real early, and the kids are sort of acting up. The tour starts with a film and some talking and the usual tourist type chatter and giggles. From the moment the tour really starts, everyone starts getting very quiet. By the time one takes the boat ride and pulls up the Arizona, NO ONE is saying anything. It gets very quiet, and you can almost hear the bubbles of oil still coming up from the Arizona and breaking the surface as the tiny little oil slick trails out to sea.

no you are not wrong
11:01 AM Liked: 17
post #76 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 1,343
I watched parts of the movie again where people are saying there is an A/V sync issue. I saw none. And with all who posted above. Watch the "knife" scene more closely, it is the same German soldier they let go earlier in the movie. That was the point of the whole scene. You see his face, same person, that's why Opuom shoots him in the end. They had to have a "bad guy" in the movie, not just a ramdon German soldier that no one knew. They had to have this same guy so people would "connect" with that person if you will.

Jeff
11:28 AM Liked: 10
post #77 of 136
Just finished watching the movie again........Ralph....the German Soldier that knifes the soldier looks alot like Steamboat Willie to me,perhaps it isn't though.
snsguy's Avatar snsguy
05:39 PM Liked: 10
post #78 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

I watched parts of the movie again where people are saying there is an A/V sync issue. I saw none. And with all who posted above. Watch the "knife" scene more closely, it is the same German soldier they let go earlier in the movie. That was the point of the whole scene. You see his face, same person, that's why Opuom shoots him in the end. They had to have a "bad guy" in the movie, not just a ramdon German soldier that no one knew. They had to have this same guy so people would "connect" with that person if you will.

Jeff

I agree it sure looks like the same guy and it makes sense that it's the same guy. Maybe were wrong though...

SNSGUY
06:16 PM Liked: 688
post #79 of 136
Quote:

Just finished watching the movie again........Ralph....the German Soldier that knifes the soldier looks alot like Steamboat Willie to me,perhaps it isn't though.

Greetings,

Lol! Take a closer look..this is a subject that has been discussed before. Not the same guy.

Quote:

Watch the "knife" scene more closely, it is the same German soldier they let go earlier in the movie. That was the point of the whole scene. You see his face, same person, that's why Opuom shoots him in the end. They had to have a "bad guy" in the movie, not just a ramdon German soldier that no one knew. They had to have this same guy so people would "connect" with that person if you will.

Jeff

The reason that Steamboat Willie reappears
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
is to fire the fatal shot at Capt. Miller. This is where Upham discovers that perhaps his decision in showing mercy earlier was misplaced which is why he simply shoots him after he says his name.

Take a look at the expression on the face of the SS soldier as he walks past Upham on the steps. He has no idea who Upham is and vice versa. Lastly, take note of the uniform worn by the SS officer versus the one Willie is wearing when he appears shortly afterward in the same scene. NOT the same.

Regards,
Yosemite Dan's Avatar Yosemite Dan
06:42 PM Liked: 12
post #80 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 113
Quote:

Greetings,

Lol! Take a closer look..this is a subject that has been discussed before. Not the same guy.

The reason that Steamboat Willie reappears
Spoiler  
is to fire the fatal shot at Capt. Miller. This is where Upham discovers that perhaps his decision in showing mercy earlier was misplaced which is why he simply shoots him after he says his name.

Take a look at the expression on the face of the SS soldier as he walks past Upham on the steps. He has no idea who Upham is and vice versa. Lastly, take note of the uniform worn by the SS officer versus the one Willie is wearing when he appears shortly afterward in the same scene. NOT the same.

Regards,

Hopefully this puts it to rest. I've had many an argument with friends who simply wouldn't believe it wasn't the same guy. Not only do they not wear the same uniform but Willie is noticeably thinner and, apart from both sporting brush cuts, facially they really don't look that alike.

Also Upham I think felt a bit of shame being petrified on those stairs while his friend dies so when he sees Miller getting shot and the rest of the unit getting shelled by Willie et al and then takes them captive then his cowardice disappears replaced by anger and he becomes hardened and just shoots Wille when he says hi. I think it was symbolism for alot of soldiers who went into WW2 scared and innocent and lost thier innocence and came out cold blooded and merciless because that's the only way they will be able to survive and all the killing around them desensitizes them.
HVisone's Avatar HVisone
08:05 PM Liked: 10
post #81 of 136
05-09-2010 | Posts: 467
Quote:

http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-comparison.html

seems to provide the definitive answer

if true, had me fooled
thehun's Avatar thehun
05:20 AM Liked: 49
post #82 of 136
05-10-2010 | Posts: 7,342
It is true, and it was evident to me on the first viewing back in '97.
This reminds me of the "missing" brain cutting scene in Hannibal, which of course wasn't missing at all, but people insisted nonetheless.
Franin's Avatar Franin
08:58 AM Liked: 297
post #83 of 136
05-10-2010 | Posts: 17,572
thanks for the review Ralph cant wait to watch this one.
Looneybomber's Avatar Looneybomber
01:00 PM Liked: 23
post #84 of 136
05-10-2010 | Posts: 4,668
I was about to get on here and see if anyone heard of any audio issues with the disk. I just recieved an email that our company was issued a recall from Paramount and we're having to send back immediate shipments of it due to audio issues. (thousands in the next two days for our building alone)

It might be worth checking with the store you bought your defective copy from if you can exchange it with the "fixed" disk after they get a new shipment from Paramount.
thehun's Avatar thehun
06:06 PM Liked: 49
post #85 of 136
05-10-2010 | Posts: 7,342
What issue is that? The lip-sync?
10:53 PM Liked: 17
post #86 of 136
05-10-2010 | Posts: 1,343
Ok, I'm convinced and I was wrong..very wrong. The comparison pics did wonders for me thanks!!! When he walked past Upham and didn't kill him (because he was an American soldier) I thought he did reconized Upham as the person that saved him. Opps!

Jeff
Bladerunner1959's Avatar Bladerunner1959
06:12 AM Liked: 51
post #87 of 136
05-11-2010 | Posts: 1,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

http://www.sproe.com/s/steamboat-comparison.html

seems to provide the definitive answer

if true, had me fooled

Perfect, and thankyou. On behalf of Ralph, my vintage G.I.Joe's and the 2nd Ranger Battalion...we salute you! LOL...no seriously, that was an excellent "find" and it puts that issue in it's proper zeltbahn!
Looneybomber's Avatar Looneybomber
12:12 PM Liked: 23
post #88 of 136
05-11-2010 | Posts: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

What issue is that? The lip-sync?

The email didn't specify as to what type of audio issue. We just get recall notices on all kinds of different freight and are required to pull it from inventory and quarantine future shipments. After reading up on all the sync issues, I'm assuming that's the problem.
morg999's Avatar morg999
11:49 PM Liked: 10
post #89 of 136
05-11-2010 | Posts: 57
Hello All...just went to check this on Amazon and found this message...

Product Alert: This product is currently not available for sale by Amazon. The manufacturer is releasing a new version of this product which will be available shortly. Sign up here to be notified when the new product is available.

Must be the Lip -Synch stuff.....
TheGigaShadow's Avatar TheGigaShadow
11:09 AM Liked: 18
post #90 of 136
05-13-2010 | Posts: 315
For those interested thedigitalbits.com posted this press release about it from Paramount:

Paramount has just issued an official statement about the Saving Private Ryan BD audio sync issues. Yes, there IS a problem, but the positive development is that a replacement program is now in place AND fixed discs should be in stores by this time next week. Good on the studio (and Technicolor) for jumping on this so quickly. Here's their statement...

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT RECALLING SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SAPPHIRE SERIES BLU-RAY DISCS

Replacement Product to be Available at Retail by Tuesday, May 18

HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 12, 2010) - Paramount Home Entertainment today announced that it is recalling the Sapphire Series Blu-ray edition of Saving Private Ryan recently released in North America, the United Kingdom and the Benelux countries due to an audio synch error that occurred during Technicolor's authoring process. Although Technicolor employs comprehensive quality control measures, in this instance the issue was not detected prior to replication.

"Technicolor has been a valuable partner to Paramount Home Entertainment, and both Paramount and Technicolor are committed to providing the highest quality product to consumers," said Dennis Maguire, President, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment Worldwide. "Our Sapphire Series was created to present our greatest films with the finest picture and sound quality available. Saving Private Ryan is a five time Academy Award® winning film including Best Director from one of America's most acclaimed filmmakers so we are recalling this edition to ensure that every Blu-ray disc honors Steven Spielberg's vision."

Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy -- US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

Editor's Note: I've confirmed with Paramount that the corrected Blu-ray discs will have a YELLOW UPC code/symbol on the back. That's how you'll know you're getting the fixed Blu-ray.
Tags: Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies

Gear in this thread - Saving by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Subscribe to this Thread