Saving Private Ryan (Blu-ray) Sapphire Series - Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 136 Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

For those interested thedigitalbits.com posted this press release about it from Paramount:

Paramount has just issued an official statement about the Saving Private Ryan BD audio sync issues. Yes, there IS a problem, but the positive development is that a replacement program is now in place AND fixed discs should be in stores by this time next week. Good on the studio (and Technicolor) for jumping on this so quickly. Here's their statement...

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT RECALLING SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SAPPHIRE SERIES BLU-RAY DISCS

Replacement Product to be Available at Retail by Tuesday, May 18

HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 12, 2010) - Paramount Home Entertainment today announced that it is recalling the Sapphire Series Blu-ray edition of Saving Private Ryan recently released in North America, the United Kingdom and the Benelux countries due to an audio synch error that occurred during Technicolor's authoring process. Although Technicolor employs comprehensive quality control measures, in this instance the issue was not detected prior to replication.

"Technicolor has been a valuable partner to Paramount Home Entertainment, and both Paramount and Technicolor are committed to providing the highest quality product to consumers," said Dennis Maguire, President, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment Worldwide. "Our Sapphire Series was created to present our greatest films with the finest picture and sound quality available. Saving Private Ryan is a five time Academy Award® winning film including Best Director from one of America's most acclaimed filmmakers so we are recalling this edition to ensure that every Blu-ray disc honors Steven Spielberg's vision."

Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy -- US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

Editor's Note: I've confirmed with Paramount that the corrected Blu-ray discs will have a YELLOW UPC code/symbol on the back. That's how you'll know you're getting the fixed Blu-ray.

Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 136 Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Thanks!

Mike

Yes, this is very cool news. I'm glad they are fixing it so quickly and making it so easy. I was dreading that any "replacement program" would end up like the great Back to the Future miss-framing debacle of 2002 when it took 5-6 months to get new discs. I'll be bringing mine back to Best Buy on the 18th for sure to see if they have the new ones.
post #93 of 136 Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I got a copy of the Saving Private Ryan BD at Best Buy earlier today, before I knew about the recall. Unfortunately, the UPC code on the back of the case is white, not yellow, so I may have to get it replaced. Can someone tell me me what to look for to determine if something is wrong with my BD.

Otherwise, I am very excited about the Saving Private Ryan BD. The film is one of the all time great war movies and is one of the very few BDs I have bought for my collection. The vast majority of films I watch come from Netflix or Blockbuster, with both of whom I have monthly subscriptions. Thus, unless a movie is special, indeed, I don't buy a copy for my library.
post #94 of 136 Old 05-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I got a copy of the Saving Private Ryan BD at Best Buy earlier today, before I knew about the recall. Unfortunately, the UPC code on the back of the case is white, not yellow, so I may have to get it replaced. Can someone tell me me what to look for to determine if something is wrong with my BD.

Otherwise, I am very excited about the Saving Private Ryan BD. The film is one of the all time great war movies and is one of the very few BDs I have bought for my collection. The vast majority of films I watch come from Netflix or Blockbuster, with both of whom I have monthly subscriptions. Thus, unless a movie is special, indeed, I don't buy a copy for my library.

I bought a copy and went to chapter 15 ....i get zero lip sync issues ..........their must have been some that was correctly made.....mine has white label
post #95 of 136 Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfire View Post

I bought a copy and went to chapter 15 ....i get zero lip sync issues ..........their must have been some that was correctly made.....mine has white label

Despite the white label, there were no lip sync issues with my Saving Private Ryan BD, either -- thank God! Better yet, I could not believe the incredible PQ of a film on which principal filming began nearly 13 years ago. By the way, I didn't see unrelievedly white sky in the background. Instead I saw a slug colored sky with patches of pale blue trying to peek out. I suggest that those who watched the BD and did not see that consider upgrading their display, or having what they have calibrated.

I just finished watching the film again, this time on BD. As great as I remembered it being from several earlier viewings, it is better than that. The whole thing was brilliant, including but not limited to the writing, acting, cinematography, and music. Holy smoke, what a great film!

I, too, had been confused all these years, and had believed, until disabused of the notion today, that the German who killed Fish with the knife was Steamboat Willie. If I had to find something to quibble about in the film, it would be that the actor cast as the German who killed Fish, looked far too much like Steamboat Willie, including the skinhead haircut. Never mind, though, it was no big deal. It was Steamboat Willie, though, who Upham got even with in the end.

I took away from the film the lesson that war is unspeakably horrific for those, like Captain Miller and his company, at the pointed end of the spear. It is like life, a bitch and then you do die, only more so.

Saving Private Ryan is a truly great motion picture, not just in the war movie genre but unqualifiedly. I give it 10 out of 10 Stars.
post #96 of 136 Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

i find with the general public the presention of hi def film on blu-ray is lack of understanding on how the director wanted the film to look etc. also the marketing of blu-ray maybe part of the issue. to a lot of people every movie should look crisp and sharp,colorful etc.i'm not talking about when studio over use dnr and ee to please grain haters,i'm talking in general people don't know films are artistic in nature.every phase of the film has a reason for being there.colors,lack of color,grain etc.

and as good as dvd was for the time, things like grain sharpness didnt really show.plus dvd always had a soft look to it anyways. i can image what will happen when 2060p comes along. hopefully by then people have gotten use to hi-def pictures.

Yeah, I believe that's what they were thinking when they released Gladiator. The edges are so sharp it's unwatchable
post #97 of 136 Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 View Post

i find with the general public the presention of hi def film on blu-ray is lack of understanding on how the director wanted the film to look etc. also the marketing of blu-ray maybe part of the issue. to a lot of people every movie should look crisp and sharp,colorful etc.i'm not talking about when studio over use dnr and ee to please grain haters,i'm talking in general people don't know films are artistic in nature.every phase of the film has a reason for being there.colors,lack of color,grain etc.

yeah, too much artistic stuff. Due to the overally brightened and bleached sky, the movie is hard to watch, to say nothing of the very unrealistic coloring, that damages an otherwise great, stunning movie.

Yeah intended to be realistic and in many scenes it is....but just like some productions with the too much DNR and EE....this one has too much "arty coloring" and contrast issues to be 100 % successful.

too bad

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #98 of 136 Old 05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
for a movie to be "too artistic"......shame on them..............geese.......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #99 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:

For those interested thedigitalbits.com posted this press release about it from Paramount:

Paramount has just issued an official statement about the Saving Private Ryan BD audio sync issues. Yes, there IS a problem, but the positive development is that a replacement program is now in place AND fixed discs should be in stores by this time next week. Good on the studio (and Technicolor) for jumping on this so quickly. Here's their statement...

PARAMOUNT HOME ENTERTAINMENT RECALLING SAVING PRIVATE RYAN SAPPHIRE SERIES BLU-RAY DISCS

Replacement Product to be Available at Retail by Tuesday, May 18

HOLLYWOOD, CA (May 12, 2010) - Paramount Home Entertainment today announced that it is recalling the Sapphire Series Blu-ray edition of Saving Private Ryan recently released in North America, the United Kingdom and the Benelux countries due to an audio synch error that occurred during Technicolor's authoring process. Although Technicolor employs comprehensive quality control measures, in this instance the issue was not detected prior to replication.

"Technicolor has been a valuable partner to Paramount Home Entertainment, and both Paramount and Technicolor are committed to providing the highest quality product to consumers," said Dennis Maguire, President, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment Worldwide. "Our Sapphire Series was created to present our greatest films with the finest picture and sound quality available. Saving Private Ryan is a five time Academy Award® winning film including Best Director from one of America's most acclaimed filmmakers so we are recalling this edition to ensure that every Blu-ray disc honors Steven Spielberg's vision."

Technicolor has set up the following toll-free numbers for consumers who have already purchased the Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu-ray, which provides details on how they can receive a replacement copy -- US and Canada: 888-370-8621, UK: 08000-852-613. Consumers can also return the Blu-ray to the stores where they purchased the product to receive a replacement. Technicolor expects to have replacement discs available at retail no later than Tuesday, May 18.

Editor's Note: I've confirmed with Paramount that the corrected Blu-ray discs will have a YELLOW UPC code/symbol on the back. That's how you'll know you're getting the fixed Blu-ray.

Just received my email from Amazon noting this and offering return and $5 credit.

Mike
post #100 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the unbelievable flare issue in the early scene where the two Germans are trying to surrender and are shot by two US soldiers? The flames in the background flare in front of the Germans and the whole lower portion of the screen starts looking like white fog. This lasts through the entire scene once it starts.

It reminds me of the poster art for the very first Star Trek movie (you know...Star Trek: The Motionless Picture?). Other forums are saying it's intentional but I saw this movie at the theater, on DVD, and on an HD television channel last weekend and it is not in the movie except here on Blu-ray. This sucks.
post #101 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapser View Post

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the unbelievable flare issue in the early scene where the two Germans are trying to surrender and are shot by two US soldiers? The flames in the background flare in front of the Germans and the whole lower portion of the screen starts looking like white fog. This lasts through the entire scene once it starts.

It reminds me of the poster art for the very first Star Trek movie (you know...Star Trek: The Motionless Picture?). Other forums are saying it's intentional but I saw this movie at the theater, on DVD, and on an HD television channel last weekend and it is not in the movie except here on Blu-ray. This sucks.

I didn't notice this on my first viewing. I'll have to check out that scene again.
post #102 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewzus View Post

I didn't notice this on my first viewing. I'll have to check out that scene again.

It's an intended effect from the way the camera was set up to film but on the Blu-ray version it looks like someone's about to beam down from the Enterprise. Just go to the scene with the two Germans walking with their arms up trying to surrender (right after the pillbox is hit and Miller is reporting the status on the walkie-talkie).
post #103 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The flare issue is on the standard DVD as well. It's a little distracting to say the least. Plus I do have a lip sync issue in chapter 15 and beyond.

Jeff
post #104 of 136 Old 05-17-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:

It's an intended effect from the way the camera was set up to film but on the Blu-ray version it looks like someone's about to beam down from the Enterprise. Just go to the scene with the two Germans walking with their arms up trying to surrender (right after the pillbox is hit and Miller is reporting the status on the walkie-talkie).

Yeah, you're right. It does seem more pronounced in HD.
post #105 of 136 Old 05-18-2010, 05:26 PM

For those who are interested, they did indeed meet their target date of 5/18. Best Buy had the new discs with the YELLOW bar code on the back today.
post #106 of 136 Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:

You weren't paying attention. The effect has ALWAYS been there, including in the theater. Posts like yours appeared when the DVD came out ("I never saw that on LD or in the theater!"). the effect is intentional. I knew people would say what you're saying when the BR came out.
post #107 of 136 Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Watched this last night. Loved every minute of it.

Frank

post #108 of 136 Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM

I checked the chapters 15 & 16 of my SPR twice and was not totally sure I had the problem mentioned above but was stopping at my local Best Buy for another reason so I brought the disc back. Customer service was not aware of the disc recall so I explained what I had learned here and they readily exchanged it for the newer release with the yellow bar code. Just played that section and saw nothing different so I believe my original was okay. My reference is the conversation between Capt. Miller and Pvt. Ryan about the last time Ryan saw his brothers.

Quote:

For those who are interested, they did indeed meet their target date of 5/18. Best Buy had the new discs with the YELLOW bar code on the back today.

post #109 of 136 Old 05-20-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
Quote:

To mimic some of the artifacts of old Ektachrome war films, Janusz Kaminski intentionally stripped the glare coatings off of his lenses to get lens flare and a soft white glow from the light bouncing around in the lens enclosure. But the issue with the flames streaking is actually from him changing the shutter timing so that light near the frame edges streaks. These effects are also exacerbated by the skip bleaching process that they did on the film, which leaves the silver emulsion that is usually washed away at the end of processing. This blows out whites and makes grain stand out. You may not remember it from your other viewings, but it has always been there, and it was the intended effect.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #110 of 136 Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotapix View Post

I checked the chapters 15 & 16 of my SPR twice and was not totally sure I had the problem mentioned above but was stopping at my local Best Buy for another reason so I brought the disc back. Customer service was not aware of the disc recall so I explained what I had learned here and they readily exchanged it for the newer release with the yellow bar code. Just played that section and saw nothing different so I believe my original was okay. My reference is the conversation between Capt. Miller and Pvt. Ryan about the last time Ryan saw his brothers.

The girl who did my exchange at Best Buy was also not aware of the whole recall/replacement thing but once I explained it and showed her the white vs. yellow bar codes, she had no problem making the switch.

Truth be told, I never even got around to playing my original SPR BD so I don't really know if it had the sync problem or not. But, I figured that however minor it may have been, if Paramount deemed the issue bad enough to recall and replace all the discs, why not get the replacement?
post #111 of 136 Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:

it is sort of there in the DVD, not very noticeable at all, but in the BD, it has been way overdone....along with some special effects and coloration that at times is simply distracting, other times irritating, such as ths sky being a glaring white constantly, ...

prime examples of too much of a good thing, or art for art's sake (if you want to call the artifical effects of the coloration in the non battle scenes 'art" as many do around here

best move for Universal-Stop transferring, mastering.If not for the sake of the films, do it for our planet.-Harris;
TOO LATE; Out of Africa is out-the worst ever
post #112 of 136 Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

it is sort of there in the DVD, not very noticeable at all, but in the BD, it has been way overdone....along with some special effects and coloration that at times is simply distracting, other times irritating, such as ths sky being a glaring white constantly, ...

prime examples of too much of a good thing, or art for art's sake (if you want to call the artifical effects of the coloration in the non battle scenes 'art" as many do around here

This should address any concerns about the way this movie looks: http://www.cameraguild.com/awards/kaminski.html

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #113 of 136 Old 05-21-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVisone View Post

Or perhaps a prime example of not taking the time to understand how and why the director and DP shot the film? Please explain how they would have added something for the BD release to make it "way overdone."

John K.
post #114 of 136 Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Watched this tonight and was completely blown away. Video presentation was on point and the style used in this film suited it very well. There were a few soft shots, but nothing too complain too much about. The audio during the beach scene was fantastic and I absolutely loved it at the end of the film. The rumbling bass as the tanks were approaching was quite interesting and made for an awesome experience. I was almost in fear myself just from this!
post #115 of 136 Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Got a yellow bar code from Amazon today. The yellow bar code was actually on top of the clear plastic packaging. I didn't get a chance to view it yet but will later today. I've seen the movie before but now on BD, it's going to be amazing.
post #116 of 136 Old 05-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I watched SPR today on the recalled white barcode Sapphire Series version and noticed no audio synch issues at all, and I was watching closely for them. Maybe I'm missing something, but I will probably hang on to it even though I got the recall email from Amazon. Great movie, picture and sound quality outstanding.
post #117 of 136 Old 05-23-2010, 02:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

I watched SPR today on the recalled white barcode Sapphire Series version and noticed no audio synch issues at all, and I was watching closely for them. Maybe I'm missing something, but I will probably hang on to it even though I got the recall email from Amazon. Great movie, picture and sound quality outstanding.

I bought one of The Saving Private Ryan BDs with the white barcode, too. Like you, I didn't have any sync issues and plan on keeping mine, too.
post #118 of 136 Old 05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I bought one of The Saving Private Ryan BDs with the white barcode, too. Like you, I didn't have any sync issues and plan on keeping mine, too.

Ditto! Absolutely no problem on my "white barcode" copy and I was paying very close attention.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #119 of 136 Old 05-23-2010, 05:42 PM

I originally got a copy with the white barcode from Amazon and didnt notice and sync issues. I then got an email from Amazon saying that they were recalling it and giving me a $5 credit. I would of just kept it since it seemed fine to me, but I basically made $5 sending it back to them since they payed for the return shipping.

I got my new copy with the yellow barcode but haven't watched it yet, so I can't comment on if its better or not.
post #120 of 136 Old 05-23-2010, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post

Greetings,

I was happy with mine as well but opted to swap it when Paramount offered.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page