Saving Private Ryan (Blu-ray) Sapphire Series - Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 521
attachment.php?attachmentid=174039&d=1272284447
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: DreamWorks/Paramount - 1998
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 169 minutes
Genre: War/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Hanks, Edward Burns, Tom Sizemore, Barry Pepper, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Matt Damon, Giovanni Ribisi, Jeremy Davies,
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Robert Rodat
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 4, 2010

"Earn this…"

Film Synopsis:

Seen through the eyes of a squad of American soldiers, the story begins with World War II's historic D-Day invasion, then moves beyond the beach as the men embark on a dangerous special mission. Captain John Miller must take his men behind enemy lines to find Private James Ryan, whose three brothers have been killed in combat. Faced with impossible odds, the men question their orders. Why are eight men risking their lives to save just one? Surrounded by the brutal realities of war, each man searches for his own answer - and the strength to triumph over an uncertain future with honor, decency and courage.

My Take:

The story opens with a prologue in which a veteran brings his family to the American cemetery at Normandy, and a flashback then joins Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks) and GIs in a landing craft making the June 6, 1944, approach to Omaha Beach to face devastating German artillery fire. This mass slaughter of American soldiers is depicted in a compelling, unforgettable 24-minute sequence. Miller's men slowly move forward to finally take a concrete pillbox. On the beach littered with bodies is one with the name "Ryan, S" stenciled on his backpack. Army Chief of Staff Gen. George C. Marshall (Harve Presnell), learning that three Ryan brothers from the same family have all been killed in a single week, requests that the surviving brother, Pvt. James F. Ryan (Matt Damon), be located and brought back to the United States.

Capt. Miller gets the assignment, and he chooses a translator, Cpl. Upham (Jeremy Davis), skilled in language but not in combat, to join his squad of right-hand man Sgt. Horvath (Tom Sizemore), privates Mellish (Adam Goldberg), Medic Wade (Giovanni Ribisi), cynical Reiben (Edward Burns) from Brooklyn, Italian-American Caparzo (Vin Diesel), and religious Southerner Jackson (Barry Pepper), an ace sharpshooter who calls on the Lord while taking aim.

Having previously experienced action in Italy and North Africa, the close-knit squad sets out through areas still thick with Nazis. After they lose one man in a skirmish at a bombed village, some in the group begin to question the logic of losing more lives to save a single soldier. The film's historical consultant is Stephen E. Ambrose, and the incident is based on a true occurrence in Ambrose's 1994 bestseller D-Day: June 6, 1944.

I saw Saving Private Ryan in the theater when it was released. I have vivid memories of the effect that it had on me as I watched, especially the opening D-Day segment. I had never seen anything like it which left me transfixed as I watched. We learned of the devastating losses on D-Day but seeing it depicted with such visceral realism made quite an impression. That segment served to get our attention and left us vulnerable and open to the events that were to come. The screenplay quickly establishes the core group of eight that will begin the long journey. It then lets us see them as individuals, each noticeably different, yet as a whole rendering a composite of the young men that went to war, many of whom would never return.

Saving Private Ryan is a powerful, emotive, and epic style film that tells a compelling story that engages us both visually and emotionally. It is made up of a series of evocative segments that together form an incredibly descriptive narrative that is built around the characters in the story. Here is my list, in no particular order, of some of my favorite moments :

1. Caparzo and the little girl
  2. Jackson and the German sniper
  3. The Abraham Lincoln letter
  4. Captain Miller and griping Reiben
  5. Sgt. Horvath and Reiben - standoff
  6. Wade’s passion on Omaha Beach
  7. Horvath’s loyalty to Capt. Miller
  8. Upham’s decision
  9. Wade’s story about how to fall asleep
  10. Capt Miller’s moment alone
  11. Mellish’s fight to the death
  12. Remembering Vecchio
  13. Sticky bombs
  14. Jackson in the bell tower
  15. “Earn this”
  16. Ryan and Reiben – the unspoken look
  17. The wrong Ryan
  18. “Did I live a good life?”
  19. “Tell us how to fix you”?

The clever dialogue, wartime action, drama and insightful exchanges that either overtly or subtly drive the story are superbly crafted and interwoven. The result is one of the best and most memorable American films ever. Outside of the superb young cast that supports star Tom Hanks there are several cameos that are worthy of note. They include Dennis Farina, Paul Giamatti, Ted Danson, Bryan Cranston, Harve Presnell, Leland Orser and of course Capt. Dale Dye. Saving Private Ryan was the highest grossing film of 1998 and garnered 11 Oscar nominations. It won five including Best Cinematography, Best Sound and Best Director for Steven Spielberg. It is a classic and one of my all time favorites.

I have owned it on DVD since 1999 and have been anticipating its release on Blu-ray since the formats inception. I am thrilled that it is finally here and glad to see that Paramount/DreamWorks has ensured that it comes to us intact and unadulterated. See below.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense prolonged realistically graphic sequences of war violence, and for language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Saving Private Ryan comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 mbps.

Similar to my review of Minority Report, another stylized film from Director Steven Spielberg, I would like to reiterate my opening comments pertaining to the visual style used in Saving Private Ryan.

Let me start off by saying that in my opinion this presentation appears to faithfully reflect the film’s original elements and director Steven Spielberg’s vision. Having said that it is important to understand that the way the film was shot does not necessarily reproduce the highly polished, three dimensional, and clearly resolute imagery that typically evokes the wow factor. That shouldn’t be strictly construed to indicate that it doesn’t look good in high definition. I have taken this into account while trying to provide an accurate depiction of my opinion in this review. Read on.

The film was shot utilizing a visual style that gives it a distinctively monochromatic look that imbues it in bluish gray or beige hues that permeate the presentation. Colors are primarily limited to various stages of gray, green and sepia tones that represent the uniforms and machinery of war. There are elements of richer color such as those seen in office sequence or at the Ryan farm but even then saturation is noticeably held in check. Images are firmly resolved but perceivable resolution can be scene dependent due to the nature of the photography. Close ups fare better than wide angle shots and offer respectable detail and appreciable refinement. White and black levels achieve good balance so that detail/gradations are visible in brighter elements while dark sequences have a rich, delineated and dynamic quality that makes them pop. The sequence shot in the dark church with its flickering golden candles and streaming moonlight has excellent depth of field and discernible low level structure in backgrounds. Contrast spikes here and there however it doesn’t negatively impact fidelity.

The sequence shot in the bombed out village (where Caparzo encounters the little girl) is among the best in the film in terms of depth dimension and finely rendered detail. There are a handful of instances where innate softening crops up. One example can be seen when Colonel Anderson (Dennis Farina) gives Capt. Miller the assignment to find Private Ryan. When the camera angle switches to the close up of Colonel Anderson when he informs him that the assignment “comes straight from the top” the background blooms and the shot is momentarily lacking in detail and looks a little fuzzy. The video has a notably grainy aesthetic that tends to interfere with depth but also lends the presentation an enriching filmic texture. I have seen this film many times and have never been bothered by its unique presentation actually my feelings are quite to the contrary. I think its limited use of color and gritty texture appropriately sets the mood of the film and draws us into its elements. Saving Private Ryan isn’t necessarily the type of film that will outwardly shine in high definition which some may find disappointing. The fact is this Blu-ray presentation from Paramount accurately reproduces it and the result is a faithful and rewarding viewing experience. We certainly can’t ask for more than that.

The original lossy DTS soundtrack on the DVD always sounded great. I think that most of us at some point have used the opening sequence to show off our surround sound systems. This lossless DTS-HD Master Audio presentation has similar attributes and offers a noticeable improvement although the differences aren’t night and day which probably says something about the quality of the original DTS encoding. I think the most discernible improvement comes in the detection of low level detail. Listening to the quiet scene that takes place in the church I was impressed with the subtle but appreciable level of immersion which is something I hadn’t noticed before. As Capt Miller and Sgt. Horvath’s dialogue anchors the front soundstage there is spatial/reverberant ambience that realistically simulates the diffuse expanse of the church. Simultaneously the rumble of exploding bombs in the distance revolves around the room at the right level so that it can be clearly heard and felt but never encroaches upon the audibly delicate balance created by the venue’s unstable acoustics.

The orchestrated elements in John Williams’ music score sound smooth, airy and refined. This award winning sound design is supported by a well executed surround mix that makes frequent use of the entire platform. Seamless front and rear channel integration keeps the active battle segments tightly focused and on point. There are a plethora of panning and discretely placed sounds that use the sidewalls and rear of the room to convey the aggressive menace of battle. The Omaha Beach and standoff in the finale are completely involving as the sound field brims with flying/ricocheting bullets, exploding landmines, heavy weaponry, immersive atmospherics and room energizing frequencies. The extended dynamic range provides the action based elements and music with palpable support and concussive impact. Those expecting the ultra low and gut punching low frequency effects that are found on many of today’s big budget action films may be disappointed. That isn’t to suggest that there is a lack of high quality bass because there is plenty to be found here. Dialogue is reproduced with crystal clear intonation and prominent soundstage position so that it is always intelligible. This is a demonstration level audio presentation that excels at creating a supremely balanced, dynamic and immersive surround experience.

Bonus Features:

• The Bonus features are located on Disc 2 which is a BD-25 Blu-ray Disc.

• An introduction with Steven Spielberg – 2 minutes

• Looking into the past – 5 minute featurette

• Miller and his platoon – 8 minute featurette

• Boot camp – 7 minute featurette

• Making Saving Private Ryan – 22 minute Production featurette

• Re-creating Omaha Beach – 18 minute featurette

• Music and sound – 16 minute featurette

• Parting thoughts with Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg

• Into the breach: Saving Private Ryan – 25 minute documentary with cast/crew

• Shooting war – Documentary on WWII photographers narrated by Tom Hanks – 88 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical and Re-release trailers

Final Thoughts:

Saving Private Ryan is one of the most renown and exalted World War II films ever. It has justifiably attained classic status and is a significant and truly powerful cinematic work that transcends genre lines. Like many of you reading this I have been a fan since seeing it in the theater and have owned it on DVD since it became available. It is one of the most highly anticipated titles coming to Blu-ray and I am happy to report that it features faithful high quality video reproduction, and stellar lossless surround sound. The bonus supplements are identical to those found on the 2004 D-Day 60th Anniversary DVD commemorative edition, and offer insights from the filmmakers/cast and includes several documentaries related to the production/subject matter. This is a must own and belongs in every Blu-ray collection. Highly recommended!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excellent review, excellent movie! Thank you very much, Mr. Potts. Ordered.
post #3 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 PM

This was the first DVD I ever owned and I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity own the blu-ray.

Great Review
post #4 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sweet! Thanks Ralph! Wait, how would you compare the LFE in this movie to Sherlock Holmes? I was quite impressed with Sherlock Holmes. Thanks...

post #5 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Ralph,

Care to comment on possible AV sync issues on Chapter 15? Some are reporting a problem with the UK released disc. Just curious if this problem is in the US product also.

post #6 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Thanks Ralph. Glad to hear that Paramount did a solid job on the presentation, though, I expected no less for one of Spielberg's most celebrated films. Hopefully, amazon will offer some kind of promotional bundle with Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #7 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Nice review as always.
Is it me, or is the the rating system a little too precise?

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #8 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A must-own, indeed. Very powerful film.
I read that Spielberg's own thoughts on the story were quite different than the thoughts it generated in me; however, that seems like a sign of a significant work. It does have definite impact on the viewer.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #9 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Being this movie is more than 10yrs old and still received a 91 score says a lot for the quality.

Seen this movie numerous times and didn't dissappoint.

Collect!

Cheers
post #10 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

I have been looking forward to this release since I made the dip into HD media 3 years ago, I have neve owned the DVD as I could never find a DTS copy. Can't wait to demo this on Tuesday...
Thanks for yet another solid review Ralph!
post #11 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detached View Post

This was the first DVD I ever owned and I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity own the blu-ray.

Great Review

The first for me as well. Might just have to dd with this one

Love my BDP-09!
post #12 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Always found it odd that the Sky in the movie is complete white 90% of the time (on a properly calibrated TV).

Thanks for the review!
post #13 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Is it me, or is the the rating system a little too precise?

Those seem like major elements of the release that ends up getting discussed on the forums anyway. Its kind of nice to see a reviewer take the time to nitpick
post #14 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:42 PM

Liked: 11
I pre-ordered this from Amazon a long time ago and can't wait for it to be delivered. Nice review.

1303 DVD
91 Blu-Ray

post #15 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ralph,

You've made my day!
I know the scheduled release date was next Tuesday but was somewhat concerned that this may be one of the titles that gets pushed back from release date. I've been waiting a while for this one on BR too.
That review was beautifully worded and eloquently written! I am sure I am not the only one here that really appreciates the time, thoughtfulness and effort you put into your reviews.

Again - Greatly appreciated and keep up the terrific work!

post #16 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

i find with the general public the presention of hi def film on blu-ray is lack of understanding on how the director wanted the film to look etc. also the marketing of blu-ray maybe part of the issue. to a lot of people every movie should look crisp and sharp,colorful etc.i'm not talking about when studio over use dnr and ee to please grain haters,i'm talking in general people don't know films are artistic in nature.every phase of the film has a reason for being there.colors,lack of color,grain etc.

and as good as dvd was for the time, things like grain sharpness didnt really show.plus dvd always had a soft look to it anyways. i can image what will happen when 2060p comes along. hopefully by then people have gotten use to hi-def pictures.
post #17 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks. Does Paramount offer $10 rebate for dvd purchase upgrade?
post #18 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Glad to see this get a decent score. Thanks, Ralph. Will be getting this one.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #19 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Great review as always Ralph.
post #20 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 07:19 PM

Liked: 31
The King strikes again...I bought this on Dvd..the day it came out , I will buy the BR the day it comes out as well...

Great review Mr. P , can't wait for this one !
post #21 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice review Ralph! Hoping to buy it on release day.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

post #22 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for another great review Ralph! Can't wait to do a comparison for this BD and the Japanese LD in the sound department, that silver platter rocks the house!
post #23 of 136 Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
One of my favorite movies of all time. As a 101st Airborne Veteran, this is a must own for me... Cannot wait!!.

Thank you for the review Ralph, you just make me anticipate this movie even more
post #24 of 136 Old 05-01-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 348
So everyone knows why things look the way they do in Saving Private Ryan, DP Janusz Kaminski employed several techniques to make the movie look like old Ektachrome war films, such as:

Skip bleaching - This is where the final step of film development that washes away the silver emulsion on the surface is bypassed, lending the film stock a heavily contrasted look that brings out the grain. He used this process in Minority Report (which also retains the heavy grain and blown out contrast on Blu-ray), A.I., Munich, Schindler's List, etc.

Removing the glare coating from the lenses - This lets light reflect around in the camera body, giving it that ethereal glow look and altering midtones. It also increases the chance of lens flares. This and the skip bleaching are why skies in SPR tend to be glaringly white as lou99 noted.

Altering the shutter angle - This gives that almost slow-mo look to things like the dirt thrown up by explosions. It also makes fast movements very jarring.

Altering shutter timing - This creates streaks of light near the frame edges.

Good to see they're presenting the result of all of these methods well on the Blu-ray, much as they did on Minority Report (which, IMO, was a perfect representation of the theatrical release). Hope they do as good a job on War Of The Worlds... and can't wait until Schindler's List, A.I. and Munich eventually come out.

"Never believe any quote you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
post #25 of 136 Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Ralph,

Care to comment on possible AV sync issues on Chapter 15? Some are reporting a problem with the UK released disc. Just curious if this problem is in the US product also.

Greetings,

It is there but I didn't feel it was an issue. It occurs during a wide angle shot beginning at 2.01.00 as Upham, Horvath, Reibein and Mellish sit on the stoop and Upham is describing what the woman on the phonograph is singing about. It only lasts momentarily (until the camera angle changes) and most may not even notice it. There isn't a reoccurrence.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #26 of 136 Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 AM
L.A

my mind has been made. thanks
post #27 of 136 Old 05-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

I forget how many times I've already watched this on dvd. Because of the stylistic film presentation, I will probably stick with the dvd for now and perhaps add the Blu-ray sometime down the road when it's in one of those bargain bins.
post #28 of 136 Old 05-01-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

I forget how many times I've already watched this on dvd. Because of the stylistic film presentation, I will probably stick with the dvd for now and perhaps add the Blu-ray sometime down the road when it's in one of those bargain bins.

Greetings,

I can understand that George. Make no mistake though, this video presentation is far and away better than SPR has ever looked on home video.

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #29 of 136 Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I can understand that George. Make no mistake though, this video presentation is far and away better than SPR has ever looked on home video.

Cheers,

Good to know, Ralph. Now you got me reconsidering.
post #30 of 136 Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM

I am so excited about this release. I remember seeing it in the theatres when I was still in high school. I had goosebumps the enitre time, and when it was over, I had never seen so many men my grandfathers age in tears and visibly shaken. I will never forget that experience. Spielberg is an idol of mine and I love all of his works, but this movie resonates with me and I am not even usually a fan of war films. VERY much looking forward to this on Blu-Ray...
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Saving Private Ryan Sapphire Series Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Saving by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page