Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH,
Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron, Robert Duvall, Guy Pearce, Kodi Smit-McPhee
Directed by: John Hillcoat
Music by: Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
Written by: Jon Penhall
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 25, 2010

"Keep carrying the fire"

Film Synopsis:

An all-star cast are featured in this epic post-apocalyptic tale of the survival of a father and his young son as they journey across a barren America that was destroyed by a mysterious cataclysm. A masterpiece adventure, THE ROAD boldly imagines a future in which men are pushed to the worst and the best that they are capable of - a future in which a father and his son are sustained by love.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=175400&d=1273753154

The Road is based on the novel of the same name by Cormac McCarthy, the author of No country for old men. A father (Mortensen) and his young son (Smit-McPhee) fight to survive after an unspecified apocalyptic event, traveling toward the warmer coast with the hope of possible food, safety, and the company of fellow survivors. Along their journey, with scarce shelter and resources available, they encounter many horrors and hardships, and must endure the constant fear of roaming cannibals and other desperate gangs. Despite having next to nothing but each other, and with little more than the clothes on their back, a rusty cart and a pistol for defense, they manage to maintain their humanity, decency and a human connection.

Watching the trailer for this film gave me a different impression of what it was going to be like. While it wasn't really what I envisioned I was pleasantly surprised by it. I found the first thirty five minutes or so frustrating because it gave little to no background on the characters or what had happened, which left me feeling disconnected to Papa and Boy. I came to find out that the connection had to be made over the course of the film and it was. This is a dark and foreboding story about a father and son struggling to survive in a world where an unexplained cataclysm has vanquished animals, crippled Mother Nature and left the planet a seemingly barren shell. In the aftermath mankind seems to have lost its humanity where many have sunk to ruthless depravity.

We learn about some of Papa and Boy's past through a series of flashback sequences, most of which offer snippets of the once happy Papa and his Wife (Theron). Later we see a little more which explains how the cataclysm affected their lives and ultimately why she is not with them. This is a character driven film that depicts the love between a father and son while telling it from a perspective that relates in part to morality interwoven with the need for survival at the most basic level. Boy and Papa are the primary characters however they encounter many nefarious types, with only a few exceptions, along their journey. Children are seen as special since there are few left. Boy's compassion and empathy is in stark contrast to all of those around him, including his father. The heart of the story lies in the journey, both spiritually and emotionally, between Boy and Papa and the looming inevitability of their plight.

Viggo Mortensen gives a superb performance that is perfectly matched by the credible and evocative turn by his young co-star Kodi Smit-McPhee. Robert Duvall and Charlize Theron each contribute with small but defining roles. The Road isn't a completely fulfilling film and some may find the staggered pacing too slow especially if expectations are different. I think that sticking with it pays off and results in an emotive and rewarding dramatic film that is worth seeing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mature thematic material, violence, language and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The Road comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175401&d=1273753154

The video has a stylized look that utilizes a de-saturated color scheme and slightly scaled back contrast which gives images a flatter less dynamic appearance. Blacks are strong and detail in dark areas and shadowy backgrounds is excellent. The primary color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red and amber highlights. The visual design isn't such that it offers glossy, razor sharp quality however resolution is excellent as images are delineated and dimensionally strong. There are a series of flashback sequences where the monochromatic appearance vanishes. Colors are rich and satisfying as objects onscreen offer vibrant textures and clear definition. This film's intentionally dark visuals and vapid color don't exhibit the eye catching imagery generally associated with new release films coming to Blu-ray but that doesn't prevent it from looking terrific in high definition.

The lossless audio presentation has no trouble conveying the elements present in the soundtrack. Dialogue reproduction is good and exhibits clear intonation with fair room penetration. The mix does a nice job of handling the various directional cues and near field simulation featured in the screenplay. Atmosphere creating sounds mixed to the rear channels create a neatly balanced rear soundfield that seamlessly blends with the front soundstage. This generally consists of spatial ambience however discrete effects are present and appropriate based upon the events transpiring onscreen. Dynamics are potent which lends weight to sound effects and authoritative extension to low frequency effects. You will want to turn up the earthquake/falling tree scene during chapter 12. I was impressed by the high level clarity, front/rear channel integration, and powerful room energizing bass featured in this brief but memorable sequence. I found this to be a stirring audio presentation that hits the high points quite well.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony's new Movie IQ features which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie.

• Making of The Road - 13 minute featurette

• 5 Deleted/extended scenes

• Audio commentary with director John Hillcoat

• (HD) Theatrical trailers

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=175399&d=1273752763

Final Thoughts:

The Road is based upon the novel of the same name by Cormac McCarthy. It isn't exactly what I anticipated but nevertheless makes for an emotive and rewarding dramatic film. Viggo Mortensen and young co-star Kodi Smit-McPhee are magnificent as a father and son struggling to balance survival while sustaining their humanity in a world where achieving both seems to be impossible. Its stylized video presentation and lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack shine on Blu-ray Disc. Fans will find the limited number of bonus features disappointing however that doesn't taint an otherwise solid offering from Sony. The Road is a film that is worth checking out but I would suggest a rental prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't read the review since I'm reading the book right now. Are there any spoilers? The book is excellent so far (I'm a little over halfway through).
post #3 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious View Post

I didn't read the review since I'm reading the book right now. Are there any spoilers? The book is excellent so far (I'm a little over halfway through).

I haven't seen the movie yet (plan on it this weekend), nor read the book, but it doesn't sound like there were any spoilers in Ralph's review.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 489
Ralph -- Thanks for your timely review of The Road BD. I have an entry in my calendar to pick it up at Blockbuster when it is released on 25 May. I read The Road primarily because the Coen brothers' movie version of No Country for Old Men so intrigued me, I then read Cormack McCarthy's novel of the same name and loved it.

Later, I read McCarthy's The Road, too, and also enjoyed it. I am very much looking forward to the movie because I think Viggo Mortensen is a fine actor and should be perfect as The Father in the film version. By the way, I didn't see any spoiler's in the review, either. The story tells us at the very beginning that The Father and The Son are on "The Road" alone in dark and foreboding times.
post #5 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Ralph -- Thanks for your timely review of The Road BD.

+1. Looking forward to seeing this.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #6 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks for the review Ralph. This is one film I REALLY wanted to see in the theater, but didn't get the opporunity. The story between a father and son has real appeal to me, especially that I am a father of a 12 yo boy w/ a strong connection to fatherhood. I struggle whether to blind buy it or rent. My gut says to rent first, even though Viggo is one of my favorite actors and the storyline of a bond between a father and son...

If BR titles were priced in the $15 or less number, I'd buy more on a whim, instead of hoping BB has enough to rent.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #7 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
His review perfectly states what it is. You need to watch the entire movie to truly appreciate what it represents.
post #8 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 09:17 AM

I went through a Cormac McCarthy reading binge two years ago and finished it off with a reading of "The Road." All McCarthy's books tend have a dark side and this story further proves that. I've been looking forward to this movie and definitely will pick up the BD when it is released. Thanks for the review.
post #9 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 AM

Liked: 15
I read the book before I watched the movie. The book has a very interesting style to it. McCarthy writes what I would call "free flowing". That is, there are no quotes for character dialogue...very informal writing. I think it fit the story quite well.

The film is, in my opinion, a very good version of the story. I'm glad to see people have enjoyed this film. It asks many important questions, while displaying the lengths that one will go to ensure health and safety for their child.

I concur that this is a rental for first-time viewers.
post #10 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll definitely pick this up once I finish the book then. Thanks!
post #11 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought this was a great film and Viggo did a pretty good job in it. When i first saw the movie the concept and premise reminded me of Will Smith's I Am Legend. Ending was somewhat sad.

Definitely a collect for me!

Cheers
post #12 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

instead of hoping BB has enough to rent.

That's how I am with my BB. They just don't bring in alot of new release blurays. Plenty of dvd copies on the shelf but no bluray version available unless you get lucky or a week or so has gone by.

post #13 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

That's how I am with my BB. They just don't bring in alot of new release blurays. Plenty of dvd copies on the shelf but no bluray version available unless you get lucky or a week or so has gone by.

I have a one out at a time in store subscription at my neighborhood BB. They never have as many BD copies of a new release as they do DVD copies. I suspect that my BB will probably not get more than a copy or two of The Road BD. Generally, when I suspect something like that with a new release I make plans to be in the store shortly after opening time on the day it is released. That's what I did with the Coen brothers latest film, A Simple Man. My BB got only one copy but I managed to get there first and snag it.
post #14 of 72 Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the review Ralph. I have been awaiting for this one for quite some time and I suspect many others are anticipating this release. Glad to see this got some very good scores across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Its a problem at all BB's. I may be wrong, but I believe BB pays full price or near full price for Blu-ray rentals (at least with most studios) whereas with DVD's they get a bulk price. This may be as to why they have limited copies of some releases on Blu-ray.
post #15 of 72 Old 05-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Ralph, you mentioned theatrical trailers; are these all for THE ROAD, all for other films, or a combination of the two?
post #16 of 72 Old 05-17-2010, 07:31 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Im looking forward in watching this looks very intresting.

Frank

post #17 of 72 Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Liked: 11
One thing I have to applaud with Ralph is his talent for describing a movie without being specific as to ruin any key events in the movie but still giving an informative review. It's not as easy as some might think.

Several other online reviewers, DVDtown being the absolute worst in this regard, find a need to describe the whole movie in detail with numerous spoilers and somehow think because they didn't give away the ending that's it's a spoiler free review. Doesn't seem to occur to these guys that a large amount of readers have not seen the movie in addition to people who are reading just for A\\V specs on the BR. Giving away key plot points in the 1st and 2nd act is just as bad as doing it in ther 3rd act since last time I checked poeple watch movies from start to finish. It's bad enough that movie trailers like to give away the whole plot in 2 minutes.
post #18 of 72 Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

One thing I have to applaud with Ralph is his talent for describing a movie without being specific as to ruin any key events in the movie but still giving an informative review. It's not as easy as some might think.

Greetings,

Thank you Dan. It is something that I am cautious about as I try to provide enough detail to get my point across without giving away the farm. I appreciate the acknowledgement and you're right sometimes it can be difficult.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 72 Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm glad you reviewing this film Ralph. Excellent job as always.

One of my all-time favorite books, and I enjoyed seeing it in the theatre. Looking forward to picking this one up.
post #20 of 72 Old 05-18-2010, 02:09 PM

Probably one of (if not THE) most depressing movies I have ever seen. This movie is not what you think it is. It just makes you want to jump off a bridge after seeing it. Very different movie, very "real" and you won't get it out of your head for a while.
post #21 of 72 Old 05-19-2010, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_rage View Post

Probably one of (if not THE) most depressing movies I have ever seen. This movie is not what you think it is. It just makes you want to jump off a bridge after seeing it. Very different movie, very "real" and you won't get it out of your head for a while.

That's why I didn't see The Road in a theater. I had read the book, knew what was in store for me, and just decided to wait for the BD. I will say that the book, despite being set in a dystopian future and filled with death and violence, ended on a quietly hopeful note. I am looking forward to seeing how Joe Penhall, who wrote the screenplay, handled all of that.
post #22 of 72 Old 05-19-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got around to watching this the other night, and I really didn't care for it. The same "points" were made several times throughout the film, and all nearly in identical ways.

When it ended I simply thought, "That's it?"

And that kid would be totally screwed up in the head for the rest of his life because, amongst other things:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
His father shoots another man in the head while the guy is inches from his face, with blood, brain matter, and pieces of skull all over him. A day or so later, this same father is then putting the gun to the kids head, about to put a bullet through him. If that won't scar you for the rest of your life, I don't know what will.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #23 of 72 Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

When it ended I simply thought, "That's it?"

That means it's faithful to the book - a literary scourging that would have made Jesus give up.

This story, as told, is a good first half of a story. It's other half is missing. As is, it's The Road...To Nowhere.
post #24 of 72 Old 05-21-2010, 09:32 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing the movie. This is one of my favorite books.

When people ask me about the book, I tell them it's the greatest love story ever told. I finished it last Father's day with my 1 year old son sleeping on my chest. It was months before I could stop thinking about the book.

I hope the movie does it justice.
post #25 of 72 Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

A rental for me ASAP. Thanks for the review.
post #26 of 72 Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschlic View Post

I read the book before I watched the movie. The book has a very interesting style to it. McCarthy writes what I would call "free flowing". That is, there are no quotes for character dialogue...very informal writing. I think it fit the story quite well.

The film is, in my opinion, a very good version of the story. I'm glad to see people have enjoyed this film. It asks many important questions, while displaying the lengths that one will go to ensure health and safety for their child.

I concur that this is a rental for first-time viewers.

Thanks for answering my question before I got a chance to ask. That makes it a definite must see, though to be fair to others I've always been a sucker for dystopian societies.

And thanks again to Ralph for the review!
post #27 of 72 Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Watched this last night and found it to be a completely depressing film.
I didn't read the book but after watching this film I have no desire to read it.
Granted this film does have a message but it wasn't enough to overcome the bleak outcome, IMO.
I don't need to watch only movies with a happy ending or subject matter but this film was a total downer for me.
This film may appeal to some but personally even as a rental I wish I had passed on this one.
Thanks Ralph for the review.

Jeffrey

post #28 of 72 Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I finally watched The Road BD last night and was disappointed. The film was far less compelling, to me at least, than Cormack McCarthy's novel was. The movie just never came alive for me, notwithstanding Viggo Mortensen's outstanding performance. Virtually every scene in it was shot so darkly, it looked like the last few minutes of twilight, before it becomes completely dark. The effect was faithful to the subject matter, I suppose, but I soon tired of it. The screenplay seemed to mostly depict quiet despair, interrupted occasionally by sudden death, with the man and his son running for their lives. I thought it worked in the book but not so much in the film.
post #29 of 72 Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

It's a long wait on NF and I'm in no hurry for it to tell the truth. It will be a filler for me when the time comes more than anything else but maybe it will surprise me.
post #30 of 72 Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Just watched the DVD today. Its not bad. I remembered wanting to see this at the theater and never did. Its ok but not crazy about the ending...."the very very end that is" thought something else would kind of happen.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Road Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page