Studio and Year: New Line - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 125 minutes
Genre: Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jessica Alba, Kathy Bates, Jessica Biel, Bradley Cooper, Eric Dane, Patrick Dempsey, Hector Elizondo, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway, Ashton Kutcher, Queen Latifah, Taylor Lautner, George Lopez, Shirley Maclaine, Emma Roberts, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift
Directed by: Garry Marshall
Music by: John Debney
Written by: Katherine Fugate
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 18, 2010

"A love story. More or less"

Film Synopsis:

The starriest cast you may ever see sparkles in a hilarious and heartwarming romcom from the director of Pretty Woman and The Princess Diaries. Stories crisscross, collide and boomerang in this look at a day in the life of love. There’s a proposal. Flowers that didn’t get sent. A big fat secret that’s finally told. The “I’ll show up and surprise him” that ended up surprising her. Fights, kisses, wrong turns, right moves and more. Whether new to or through with love, you'll fall in love with this 19-star, funny-side-up celebration of romance.

My Take:

I am the first to admit that I am a sucker for feel good romantic comedies. In the case of Valentine’s day that probably makes me a bit more tolerant of its unending clichés, and seemingly trifling episodic plot. If you invest in it you may find that a few of its stories have something to offer. The large ensemble cast lends an air of credibility which invokes interest. The fact that Jennifer Garner is among them was more than enough for me (as most of you well know) but the variety of notables is enough that there should be someone for everyone watching to connect with. The story takes place in one day, Valentine’s day, and follows a group of people that in some fashion share a connection. My favorites began with the story of the florist (Kutcher) that just asked his girlfriend (Alba) to marry him. Much to everyone’s she accepts (?). Next is the story of the florist’s best friend Julie (Garner), a teacher, with a new doctor boyfriend who she decides to fly up to San Francisco to surprise, only to discover that not all surprises are good. The charming little boy who walks into the florist’s shop requesting that a bouquet of roses be sent to his secret Valentine at school (who could it be?). Lastly, I found the story with probably the shallowest foundation to be the most rewarding. The man and woman (Cooper/Roberts) that meet/sit together on an airplane bound for LA who share an instant attraction (or not).

The remaining stories are interwoven and while there are some laughs and varying degrees of substance its never rises to a level that I was ingratiated by. I particularly found the story involving the two teenagers played by Taylor Lautner and Taylor Swift to be annoying. This was mostly due to their inability to act but their storyline was abysmal as well. I am most definitely a fan of director Garry Marshall and there is no denying his signature on this film. I think that there is a simply too much going on here which waters down the intended effect. Nevertheless I found Valentine’s Day to be fun, mildly entertaining, and keeping in the spirit of what a romantic comedy should be.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sexual and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Valentine’s Day comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080pVC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This is a decent and fairly unremarkable high definition presentation that is highlighted by vivid well translated colors that offer a good mix of secondary hues that are equally vibrant and pleasing to the eye. Skin tones are realistically depicted with rosy complexions and supple texture. High definition resolution is good and delivers clear images with varying degrees of fine rendering that appear scene dependent. Black and contrast levels strike a good balance so that bright scenes are punchy and dark scenes have appreciable depth and detail in shadows. The lossless audio soundtrack renders clear dialogue that maintains a notable position of prominence within the front soundstage. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it appropriately conveys the recorded elements via a convincing front soundstage which is supported by occasional splashes of atmosphere from the rear channels. Detail is rendered well which attenuates slight environmental cues and augments the subtle texture of voices and sound effects. There is no deep bass associated with the sound track but it contains low frequency support where appropriate.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Garry Marshall

• (HD) 14 deleted scenes with play all and director commentary options

• (HD) Stars confess their Valentine‘s Day stories - 6 minute feature

• (HD) The Garry factor - The cast discusses working with director Garry Marshall - 5 minutes

• (HD) “Stay here forever“ - music video by Jewel

• (HD) Exclusive sneak peek: Sex and the City 2 - sneak peek trailer

• Bonus Disc: Digital Copy/DVD version of Valentine‘s Day
attachment.php?attachmentid=173946&d=1272222761

Final Thoughts:

Valentine’s Day is a middling romantic comedy that I found entertaining despite its notable clichés and formulaic premise. I appreciated its attempt to warm us with its positive spin on romance/love for those who are looking for it, have it, or may be unsure of what it is. Its Blu-ray Disc presentation from Warner looks and sounds just fine while sporting an average set of bonus supplements that includes a digital copy for those who would like to take it on the go. I think it is easily worth a rental on date night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Thanks Ralph ! another great review

My current HT
post #3 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hmm. looks like a rental for me...

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #4 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner & Anne Hathaway are total babes so count me in for this one.

Jeffrey

post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 05:47 PM

Liked: 31
Wwwwwwellllll ... I guess I'll give it a buy, my wifey thinks everything has been too violent lately ...

Thanks King Potts !
post #6 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Jessica Alba, Jessica Biel, Jennifer Garner & Anne Hathaway are total babes so count me in for this one.

Agree!
post #7 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHXBR View Post

Yep, and thats about all this movie had going for it too.
post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
The lady dragged me to see this at the theaters. I put up a small fight. lol. I admit though, I really liked this movie.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Hmm. looks like a rental for me...

Don't forget...rental copies are stripped of all extras...no commentary, etc. etc.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Mostly agree with your review Ralph.

Watched this one over the last few days. This is one of those films that seemed to last forever. I remember checking the time, thinking we must be in the last 15 minutes or so, but ended up only being halfway through! Arghh. This is one of the films that demonstrates that acting firepower does not go hand-in-hand with excellent storytelling. Good actors (with a few exceptions), bad script. The movie was flat from start to finish.

I think it felt so long because there were so many stories happening at once. This film was only mildly entertaining, and I wouldn't recommend it to friends. There are much better romantic comedy choices out there.

I thought that the PQ was good. I give it a 4 out of 5. Sound was clear, but nothing to write home about. 3.5 out of 5. The film was mediocre at best. Lots of potential that unfortunately wasn't realized

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 3.5 out of 5, Film 2 out of 5.

Dan
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Valentines Day Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Valentines by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page