Studio and Year: DreamWorks - 2005
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Dakota Fanning, Justin Chatwin, Miranda Otto, Tim Robbins, Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, Rick Gonzalez
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Josh Friedman & David Koepp
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 1, 2010

"They're already here"

Film Synopsis:

A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells' classic, the sci-fi thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family. Fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of killer Tripods that annihilate everything in their path, Ray Ferrier (Cruise) races to keep his family safe.

My Take:

War of the worlds is a free adaptation of the classic story by H.G. Wells which revolves around a hostile alien invasion of earth and a father struggling to protect his children. Ray Ferrier (Tom Cruise) is a blue collar worker living in New Jersey, divorced from his first wife Mary Ann (Miranda Otto) and estranged from his two children Rachel and Robbie (Dakota Fanning and Justin Chatwin), of whom he has custody on weekends. On one such visitation, looking after the kids becomes a little more difficult when, after a series of strange lighting storms hit his neighborhood, Ray discovers that a fleet of death-ray robotic spaceships have emerged nearby, part of the first wave of an all-out alien invasion of the Earth. Transporting his children from New York to Boston in an attempt to find safety at Mary Ann's parents' house, Ray must learn to become the protector and provider he never was in marriage.

I saw this film during its theatrical run in the summer of 2005. It would be fair to say that I liked it from the start. Having watched it multiple times on DVD I think it has grown on me even more. This isn't classic cinema but taking it as a whole which includes the scope of its production I just find it captivating. The premise speaks to man's insecurities (unspoken or not) about the inherent danger should aliens ever visit our planet. Unlike similar films which feature multi-directional plotlines I like the story's primarily singular focus which centers on the characters of Ray, Robbie, and Rachel as we see the layers of their dysfunctional relationship peeled back. I appreciate how they slowly come together as Ray instinctively goes from dead beat dad to stalwart protector that will stop at nothing in getting the kids safely to their mother. Co-mingled with that is the development of a bond that only a parent and child can share. We see it when Ray looks on with proud eyes as Robbie scales the large ramp aboard the ferry in order to help others that are trying to get to safety. In that same sequence Rachel senses danger close and reaches for Ray's hand. Later trust and understanding begin to emerge in the scene where Robbie tells Ray you need to let me go followed shortly after by Rachel asking Ray to sing me a lullaby when she is frightened. The development of these characters and our belief in their connection is important since they need to trust and rely upon one another if they are to survive.

This film is a special effects extravaganza that teams star Tom Cruise and director Steven Spielberg up for the second time (Minority Report being the first). Spielberg is certainly no stranger to sci-fi films that relate to this subject matter as he directed both Close encounters of the third kind and E.T. (considered classics) before this one. Spielberg's War of the worlds is edgy and features chills, thrills and suspense as it pays homage to but doesn't remake the classic 1953 film. While it isn't a wholly satisfying cinematic work, it is an entertaining and thrilling sci-fi adventure that is bolstered by its large scale production, apt direction, and engaging performances by Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning. I am excited that it has finally come to high definition and am glad to now have it in my Blu-ray collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for frightening sequences of sci-fi violence and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 96

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

War of the worlds comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.4 Mbps.

Similar to my recent reviews of several films from Director Steven Spielberg, I would like to reiterate my opening comments pertaining to the visual style he used in War of the worlds.

Let me start off by saying that in my opinion this presentation appears to faithfully reflect the film's original elements and director Steven Spielberg's vision. Having said that it is important to understand that the way the film was shot does not necessarily reproduce the highly polished, three dimensional, and clearly resolute imagery that typically evokes the wow factor. That shouldn't be strictly construed to indicate that it doesn't look good in high definition. I have taken this into account while trying to provide an accurate depiction of my opinion in this review. Read on.

The film was shot utilizing a visual style that gives it a distinctively de-saturated, monochromatic and dynamic look that imbues it with brownish gray or beige hues that permeate the presentation. Colors are primarily limited to various stages of gray, brown, green, red, and sepia tones. There are elements of richer color but even then saturation is noticeably held in check. Fleshtones are mildly affected but otherwise appear natural with appreciable tonal variation and warm highlights. Images are firmly resolved but perceivable resolution can be scene dependent due to the nature of the photography. Close ups fare better than wide angle shots and offer respectable detail and appreciable refinement. There is plenty of visible detail in the stone work and aged wood in dankness of Harlan's basement which is a noticeable improvement over the softer DVD. Contrast levels can spike occasionally but otherwise achieve good balance so that detail/gradations are visible in brighter elements while dark sequences have a rich, dynamic quality that makes them pop. Blacks are deep but slightly crushed which impacts shadow detail but not to a deleterious degree. The video has a notably grainy aesthetic that tends to interfere with depth and sometimes takes on more prominence but I never found it to be problematic. I have grown accustomed to the visual style of this film but will readily admit that I initially found it bothersome. However it isn't my place to question the artistic intent of the director. In my opinion this Blu-ray Disc presentation from Paramount seems to accurately reflect the film's original elements which is all that we can ask for.

Since its release on DVD War of the worlds has been considered by many to be the go to disc for its engaging surround sound mix that contains demonstrative low frequency effects that have dismantled lesser quality subwoofers at high sound pressure levels. I have eagerly anticipated its arrival on Blu-ray and the results are indeed spectacular. This soundtrack is demonstration quality and is sure to put a smile on the faces of those that have systems capable of reproducing it at reference levels. This recording has wide dynamic range and boasts superlative clarity and high level detail that is truly impressive. Front channel separation and imaging is excellent. This draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. The mix makes effective and often aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The listening position is submerged into a 360 degree web of sound that is sometimes riveting as it bombards the senses with a combination of well placed sound effects and musical ambience.

The low frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of this soundtrack and it does so with aplomb. This mix delivers bass that is truly prodigious as it extends down into the 20 and 30hz regions as times. Its palpable presence is never in question as it fills the room with tight ultra refined bass that is appreciably superior and on occasion skin tingling. This is an involving and dynamically energized sound design that combines high level sonic detail, excellent directional correlation, and rhythmically charged bass. I would have preferred that the dialogue been mixed to a higher level within the front soundstage as it is overpowered during some of the active sequences. Other than that I had no problem with intelligibility. I also felt that there were times when the rear channels were too prominent which affected balance during panning sequences. These are relatively minor nits to pick in an otherwise fantastic audio presentation.

I am sure that the question on the minds of fans is does this offer an improvement over the lossy soundtrack on the DVD? The answer is most definitely. While the differences aren't night and day I detected discernibly smoother highs, punchier dynamics, and better refinement in the reproduction of low frequencies. This is a reference quality audio presentation that truly enhances the enjoyment of this film. If you have a system that you think is it up to the task, crank this one up to reference, and prepare to be enthralled. I won't be held responsible for any damage to your systemEnjoy!

Bonus Features:

• Revisiting the invasion - 7 minute featurette

• The H.G Wells legacy - 6 minute featurette

• Steven Spielberg and the original War of the worlds - 8 minute featurette

• Characters: The family unit - 13 minute featurette

• Previsualization - 7 minutes

• Production diaries - 4 segments

• Designing the enemy: Tripods and aliens - 14 minute featurette

• Scoring War of the worlds - 12 minute featurette

• We are not alone - 3 minute feature

• Galleries - Costume sketches, behind the scenes, productions stills and more

• (HD) Theatrical teaser trailer

Final Thoughts:

War of the worlds may not be considered a timeless classic but there is no denying its staying power among fans. It is a free adaptation of the story by H.G. Wells and in the hands of Steven Spielberg makes for a thrilling albeit slightly over the top sci-fi film that is a personal favorite. Since its release on DVD audio enthusiasts (myself included) have reveled in the deep ultra low frequency bass associated with this soundtrack. I have looked forward to experiencing it on Blu-ray via the higher inherent potential in lossless audio and am happy to report that it sounds spectacular. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack simply rocks and will test the limits of your system. I found its video presentation to be faithful and clear cut above any previous home video release. It includes the bonus features offered on the two disc limited edition DVD release which makes this an easy upgrade recommendation and a must have for those that appreciate reference quality surround sound.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Thanks Ralph.
Maybe I will re-visit it since I didn't like it too much back in 2005.
post #3 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Sonds like a winner and must buy for me. Great review Ralph. I really appreciate the way you reviewed the LFE and compared the audio to the DVD track!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #4 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Thanks Ralph. With some of the recent disappointments in the LFE content of some Blu-Ray re-releases I'm glad that this one seems to be faithful to the original.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #5 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:30 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Very nice. Thanks, Ralph. Certainly not a favorite of mine, but I wouldn't be a very good home theater enthusiast if I didn't at least rent it for some LFE action.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #6 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Nice review Ralph. Now a bit of a quandary - buy this BD because it's a reference/near reference demo Blu-ray or give it a pass because I really dislike this film.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #7 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for another informative review, Ralph! We appreciate all the work you put in.

Here's hoping that the recent releases of Spielberg films will lead to more---- most specifically, the greatest underdog of them all, EMPIRE OF THE SUN. And since Spelberg won't do commentary tracks, he and now-grown star Christian Bale can dissect the film via a new documentary.
post #8 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Nice review Ralph.
While I wasn't big on Cruise's acting in this movie, the special effects and the audio make up for it.

The sound from the tripods still gives me chills.
post #9 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Thanks for another great review Ralph! Looking forward to seeing how this audio track stacks up to Cloverfield!

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #10 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 01:12 PM

very interesting and well written review.
keep up the good work.
post #11 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Ralph! I like how you were specific in saying that the LFE goes down into the 20 Hz region.

post #12 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
HA..Went straight to the Audio section of the review, I can't read much here at work at the moment ..But it seems I'm going to buy an AVR before I get this one from Amazon. I've been lacking a some sort of HT processing this might push me over to get any run of the mill receiver.

DJOel
post #13 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 02:45 PM

Great review Ralph! Time to update my subwoofer.I know this is not the place for it but would like some opinions on what would be the best choice for HT.
svs pb12-nsd
hsu vtf-3 mk3
ed a5 350
Anything I'm missing in the $700 and under range? 90% movies, room 14x26
post #14 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Liked: 11
I enjoyed this movie to buy it on DVD and certainly for BR for the audio. I thought the 1st half was great and I didn't even mind the part with Tim Robbins where everybody thought it went downhill. The stupid ending with the son really killed it for me especially considering that he was so annoying the whole movie that everyone wanted him to meet a worse fate. I find the trick to enjoying this much more is to press stop as soon as Cruise starts walking to his ex-wife's parent's house. I had no problem with the ending for the aliens as it was faithful to the book albeit anti climatic. I also thought Cruise was O.K. and was suited for the role of deadbeat dad, at least in comparision when he's trying to play a German in WW2.

Considering dreck like 2012 and Transformers is what passes for big budget fare these days then WOTW is almost Oscar worthy and surely worth it for the sound alone on BR.
post #15 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Love this movie! What surprised me the most when I initially saw it was how suspenseful it was. The film has a raw/gritty feel to it which I think makes it all the more believable.
I've watched it quite a few times on DVD as well. My favorite scene is when the 1st alien spacecraft arises from the street. The LFE is no joke even on the DVD version.
Must buy for me!
post #16 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can't wait to get this one... The soundtrack of the DVD was reference...now I can imagine how this one is...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #17 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Easy first day buy for me........cant wait

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I would of enjoyed this movie much, much more if it wasn't for Dakota Fannings long ear piercing screams every 3 minutes. I was hoping she would get snatched up after her 47th scream.

Kagolu
post #19 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Easy first day buy for me........cant wait

Greetings,

Todd, turn this one up, sit back and enjoy the ride..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Todd, turn this one up, sit back and enjoy the ride..

Cheers,

I cant wait! Fantastic audio review by the way.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

The low frequency effects are applied authoritatively to underscore the bombastic and aggressive aspects of this soundtrack and it does so with aplomb. This mix delivers bass that is truly prodigious as it extends down into the 20 and 30hz regions as times.

Ralph, 20-30Hz bass is great- but does this lossless track preserve the single digit Hz extension on the DVD's DTS track? Thanks for the review!
post #22 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGator View Post

Ralph, 20-30Hz bass is great- but does this lossless track preserve the single digit Hz extension on the DVD's DTS track? Thanks for the review!

Greetings,

It is contains the same infrasonic transients that are present on the lossy track.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Greetings,

It is contains the same infrasonic transients that are present on the lossy track.

Regards,

Music to my ears, Ralph. And excellent review as always. A definite buy

Stephen
post #24 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Its good to start seeing some Spielberg movies being put out on Blu-ray. What I am really anticipating are the Jurassic Park and Indiana Jones trilogies. Those are definite must buys for me.

Ralph, I wanted to let you know that I finally got around to watch Minority Report on Blu-ray and I thought the disc had both excellent video and audio.
post #25 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

I would of enjoyed this movie much, much more if it wasn't for Dakota Fannings long ear piercing screams every 3 minutes. I was hoping she would get snatched up after her 47th scream.

Jesus AMEN Brother. Between her screaming and the tiresome angsty teenage whining of her brother's character, I was praying to our Blessed Virgin of Voluminous Pulchritude for the sweet release of death, either for the characters or me, the viewer...

Aside from those two, and a few nitpicks here and there, there are a number of REALLY great scenes in this film. The "Hellbound Express", the initial attack, all great. And that odd dopplered foghorn/pipe organ sound the tripods make, that thing gives me the creeps. I expect I'll need to wear an adult diaper when that odd horn of death trumpets on the lossless track. Oops. Too late.
post #26 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC2 View Post

Jesus AMEN Brother. Between her screaming and the tiresome angsty teenage whining of her brother's character, I was praying to our Blessed Virgin of Voluminous Pulchritude for the sweet release of death, either for the characters or me, the viewer...

Aside from those two, and a few nitpicks here and there, there are a number of REALLY great scenes in this film. The "Hellbound Express", the initial attack, all great. And that odd dopplered foghorn/pipe organ sound the tripods make, that thing gives me the creeps. I expect I'll need to wear an adult diaper when that odd horn of death trumpets on the lossless track. Oops. Too late.

Well said!

Kagolu
post #27 of 87 Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagolu View Post

i would of enjoyed this movie much, much more if it wasn't for dakota fannings long ear piercing screams every 3 minutes. I was hoping she would get snatched up after her 47th scream.

+1
post #28 of 87 Old 05-20-2010, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Ralph, I wanted to let you know that I finally got around to watch Minority Report on Blu-ray and I thought the disc had both excellent video and audio.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Matt.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 87 Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 AM

Liked: 17
This could have been such a powerful film (for what it was) but Spielberg had to go and undo a crucial plot point at the end and totally cheat us out of what should have been a very gutsy, grown up move for a mainstream film. For that, I gave Spielberg's War of the Worlds one thumb up (tripods FTW) one thumb down (what, no black smoke?) and the finger (no spoilers here, but you'll know what I'm referring to when you've seen it). At least it's not as bad as his CG revamp of ET.
post #30 of 87 Old 05-20-2010, 06:12 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Fantastic film. I cannot wait to get this one well done too.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , War Of The Worlds Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - War by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page