Feature running time: 90 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Michael Cera, Jean Smart, Zach Galifianakis, Ray Liotta, Mary Kay Place, M. Emmet Walsh, Portia Doubleday, Fred Willard, Steve Buscemi, Justin Long
Directed by: Miguel Arteta
Music by: John Swihart
Written by: Gustin Nash based on the novel Youth in revolt: The journals of Nick Twisp by C.D. Payne
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 15, 2010

"Nick Twisp wasn't a rebel until he found his cause"

Film Synopsis:

Based on the acclaimed novel by C.D. Payne, YOUTH IN REVOLT is the story of Nick Twisp - a unique, but affable teen with a taste for the finer things in life like Sinatra and Fellini - who falls hopelessly in love with the beautiful, free-spirited Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday) while on a family vacation. But family, geography and jealous ex-lovers conspire to keep these two apart. With Sheeni's encouragement, Nick abandons his dull, predictable life and develops a rebellious alter ego: Francois. With his ascot, his moustache and his cigarette, Francois will stop at nothing to be with Sheeni, and leads Nick Twisp on a path of destruction with unpredictable and uproarious consequences.

My Take:

Youth in revolt is a sort of coming of age story about a quirky teenage boy named Nick Twisp that is struggling with his identity and lack of female companionship. He also hasn't had any positive role models in his life. His parents are divorced and he lives with his mother and her current boyfriend, a scruffy freeloading swindler named Jerry. Nick's father lives nearby with his much younger girlfriend Lacey and only sees Nick occasionally. Nick's arid life changes when he meets Sheeni, a confident, attractive and free spirited girl, during a summer vacation. Nick is immediately smitten by her but quickly finds out that his soft spoken demeanor, uncontrollable hormones, and insecure shyness aren't the attributes that are going to win her heart and keep it. At the conclusion of the summer Nick has to return home and is faced with the prospect of separating from Sheeni and perhaps losing her. Once home he invents alter ego Francois with the idea of being unruly and obnoxious enough to be tossed out by his mother and living with his father who has just moved closer to Sheeni. As Nick/Francois put the plan into effect he/they encounter a number of obstacles that include opposition from Sheeni's parents, indirect competition from Sheeni's old beau Trent, and suddenly being on the lamb from the Oakland Police after an unfortunate incident involving a can of gasoline, a Lincoln convertible, and beat up mobile home trailer. The question is, is Sheeni worth it?

I have said it before and will say it again, Michael Cera is a strange dude. His awkwardness is part of his appeal which makes him somewhat unique although one dimensional as an actor. Regardless he seems to stay quite busy and finds roles that play to his strengths. This is an off beat and dark comedy that may not appeal to everyone. It is one of those comedies that you either get or are turned off by. I got a kick out of its bizarre situations, quirky characters and ambiguous humor that diverges from some of the more vulgar in your face type teen flicks we often see today. Cera is perfectly suited for the affable and idiosyncratic Nick. His switch to Francois isn't exactly credible but fits within the context of the plot as the contrast made for several funny situations. The remainder of the cast adds charm and features the likes of Jean Smart, Zack Galifianakis, M. Emmet Walsh, Steve Buscemi, Fred Willard, Adhir Kaylan, and new comer/scene stealer Portia Doubleday. Yes it's silly but it is also edgy and puts a fresh spin on the teen angst/romance premise. I can't guarantee that everyone will get it but if you do it's pretty entertaining.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, language and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Youth in revolt comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is a solid high definition video presentation from Sony that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are well saturated with vivid textures that are eye pleasing. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast was dynamic without being overpowering and blacks were respectable in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn't see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent. The lossless soundtrack competently delivered the elements present in the recording. Dialogue was well intonated with crystal clarity and good room penetration. The presentation offered an open soundstage across the front with definitive channel separation and good dynamic range. Surround use was limited to spatial cues and occasional panning effects that enhanced dimension. This was noticeable during the sequence involving the car crash/trailer explosion which created a fair sense of envelopment in the rear of the room. There weren't any sub bass frequencies contained in the mix however the subwoofer was used to provide low bass emphasis that extended the low range content associated with the soundtrack's elements.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony's new Movie IQ features which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie.

• Audio commentary with Michael Cera and director Miguel Arteta

• (HD) 9 deleted scenes

• (HD) 5 deleted & extended animated sequences

• Audition footage - 5 segments

• (HD) Previews: Chloe, Harry Brown, The Bounty Hunters, A Prophet, The Runaways, A single man

• BD-Live enabled
attachment.php?attachmentid=175802&d=1274100626

Final Thoughts:

Youth in revolt is an off beat and dark comedy that diverges from some of the more vulgar in your face type teen flicks we often see today. It features a quirky coming of age story where star Michael Cera goes against type in his portrayal of dual roles in Nick Twisp and his alter ego, Francois. Youth in revolt may not appeal to all genre fans however I found it edgy, alternative and entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring high quality video, decent lossless sound and average special features that include and audio commentary track, deleted scenes and Sony's BD-Live powered MovieIQ. Fans can feel free to pick this up otherwise I would recommended a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-31-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This movie looks very interesting from the previews and I have been awaiting for this one for quite some time. Thanks for a very early review! Hopefully this is better than some other films that Michael Cera has done as of late.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-31-2010, 07:38 PM

Liked: 10
I too have been waiting for this one to come out. I actually really like Michael Cera's awkwardness. I think it reminds me of myself (though I hope I'm not as bad as he usually plays it).

Anyone able to compare the movie to the book? I'm thinking about picking up the book now.

As usual thanks for the review Ralph.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-01-2010, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Saw the trailer a few times but just wasn't sure.

After reading Ralph's review i'll have to rent this one out.

Cheers
post #5 of 9 Old 06-01-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched this last night, and as usual, Ralph was spot on with his review. And Portia Doubleday is a scene-stealer.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #6 of 9 Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
i wanted to see this in the theater but didn't have the chance....looking forward to renting this
post #7 of 9 Old 07-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I finally got to see this one "edgy, alternative and entertaining" is the perfect description for it.

Thanks again for bringing this to the fore.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Excellent comments about Michael Cera, Ralph. I agree. He has his own style, but it is one that I enjoy to watch.

My wife and I really enjoyed this one. Some unique comedy and well written lines throughout. We had many laugh out loud scenes. The teenage internal struggles of Nick Twisp were humerous, interesting and well done with the exception of the dual persona.

I didn't care for the "cartoon" segways. I could have done without that, as it was distracting, and didn't fit with the film. The dual personality of Twisp could have been done stronger IMO. It seemed like a side thought. Just my opinion though.

Picture quality was good, but some scenes were either intentionally shot soft, or there was a problem with post production. Flesh tones were great. Overall the quality was a good representation of Blu-ray. Sound quality was adequate, and I didn't feel it lacked with the exception of dynamics. Not much to offer there, even in some of the dramatic explosive scenes. Oh well.

I would recommend this to friends for a good laugh.

PQ 3.5 out of 5, SQ 3 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan
post #9 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Excellent comments about Michael Cera, Ralph. I agree. He has his own style, but it is one that I enjoy to watch.

My wife and I really enjoyed this one. Some unique comedy and well written lines throughout. We had many laugh out loud scenes. The teenage internal struggles of Nick Twisp were humerous, interesting and well done with the exception of the dual persona.

I didn't care for the "cartoon" segways. I could have done without that, as it was distracting, and didn't fit with the film. The dual personality of Twisp could have been done stronger IMO. It seemed like a side thought. Just my opinion though.

Picture quality was good, but some scenes were either intentionally shot soft, or there was a problem with post production. Flesh tones were great. Overall the quality was a good representation of Blu-ray. Sound quality was adequate, and I didn't feel it lacked with the exception of dynamics. Not much to offer there, even in some of the dramatic explosive scenes. Oh well.

I would recommend this to friends for a good laugh.

PQ 3.5 out of 5, SQ 3 out of 5, Film 3.5 out of 5

Dan

Greetings,

Great stuff indeed. Thanks Dan..

Cheers,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags