post #61 of 122 Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Loved it in the theater.

Loved it at home.

The surround action was incredible with the bullets whizzing around and all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 122 Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Ralph,

Another spot on review Ralph!

I was VERY IMPRESSED with the details and depth; reference quality in my book. The scene you alluded to (with the house in the desert owned by an elderly couple) was one of the best I've seen for detail, depth and dimensionality.

The AQ was amazing too...I loved the haunting soundtrack; it fit the mood of the film perfectly!

The movie itself was actually a breath of fresh air for the "post-apocalyptic genre," IMHO. It kept my interest throughout and had a satisfying ending.

Denny

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #63 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Ralph,

Another spot on review Ralph!

I was VERY IMPRESSED with the details and depth; reference quality in my book. The scene you alluded to (with the house in the desert owned by an elderly couple) was one of the best I've seen for detail, depth and dimensionality.

The AQ was amazing too...I loved the haunting soundtrack; it fit the mood of the film perfectly!

The movie itself was actually a breath of fresh air for the "post-apocalyptic genre," IMHO. It kept my interest throughout and had a satisfying ending.

Denny

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Denny, Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #64 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Loved it in the theater.

Loved it at home.

The surround action was incredible with the bullets whizzing around and all.

Excellent looking forward watching this saturday night.

Frank

post #65 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Excellently crafted review Ralph! Great job not giving away the key thematic spoilers. I personally bump my film rating up to a 4 out of 5.

I looked forward to this one, as I had heard about the basic plot and it had sparked my interest. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well this movie was done. Of course, Denzel’s character was the most developed and well played, and I enjoyed watching his character. I wish they would have expanded a little on how he attained his skills, but oh well.

Oldman’s character was very good also, and a strong character. However, the premise of why he was looking for the book was a little disappointing to me.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
So he was going to use the Bible to get the weak minded to follow him? The Bible had just the right words to sway them? Seems like a back handed insult to those who believe what the Bible says. Oldman’s character was preying on those with weak minds, using the Bible? Insulting. Maybe this was just the point, to show that Oldman’s character may have actually been the ignorant one? I don’t know.

I was very happy that faith was prominent in this film, with no tip toeing around it. Refreshing, and it works well with the overall story.

One last item for the spoiler… a question. I was starting to get sleepy at the end of the film, but was it revealed that that Denzel’s character is actually blind? Or did he just learn to read Braille?

Mila Kunis did a fine job, but many younger female actors could have just as easily played her part in my opinion. She was enjoyable to watch, and did well in the part.

Pacing was excellent, although the ending wrapped up a little quick. Some of the detail in the shots were stunning, as Ralph mentions. I did have a problem with black crush in most of the film. (and I do have my custom gamma calibrated) Part of this was due to the highly contrasted look they were going after. Noticed it right away in the first scene. Glad to see you caught that as well Ralph.

Sound was excellent. Dynamic, clear and encompassing. Very enjoyable.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5

Dan
post #66 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
To me, this movie was stupid, but entertaining none the less. Stupid because most people who know history know that the Roman Catholic Church voted on books of the first Christian Bible. Yet, in the movie, you have a King James version which was sanctioned by King James, himself, and partly written by William Shapesphere and King James' other subjects and based upon more inferior manuscipts than that of the Roman Catholic Bible. And, the King James Bible was actually one that re-wrote the Book of Bishops, a bible commissioned by King James momma. Most folks know the King James bible came out of the Church of England which formed after Henry the VIII was excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church for re-marriage without the pope's approval. King James was a descendant of Henry VIII. So, I guess this is Protestant spin on what happened when man or the supreme being destroyed the earth. It was entertaining although I know that Christianity was formally formed in about 325 A.D. by Constantine and the Roman Catholic Church. I checked my brain some place else before watching the movie, and found it entertaining although a little comical.
post #67 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Excellently crafted review Ralph! Great job not giving away the key thematic spoilers. I personally bump my film rating up to a 4 out of 5.

I looked forward to this one, as I had heard about the basic plot and it had sparked my interest. I was very pleasantly surprised by how well this movie was done. Of course, Denzel's character was the most developed and well played, and I enjoyed watching his character. I wish they would have expanded a little on how he attained his skills, but oh well.

Oldman's character was very good also, and a strong character. However, the premise of why he was looking for the book was a little disappointing to me.

Spoiler  
So he was going to use the Bible to get the weak minded to follow him? The Bible had just the right words to sway them? Seems like a back handed insult to those who believe what the Bible says. Oldman's character was preying on those with weak minds, using the Bible? Insulting. Maybe this was just the point, to show that Oldman's character may have actually been the ignorant one? I don't know.

I was very happy that faith was prominent in this film, with no tip toeing around it. Refreshing, and it works well with the overall story.

One last item for the spoiler a question. I was starting to get sleepy at the end of the film, but was it revealed that that Denzel's character is actually blind? Or did he just learn to read Braille?

Mila Kunis did a fine job, but many younger female actors could have just as easily played her part in my opinion. She was enjoyable to watch, and did well in the part.

Pacing was excellent, although the ending wrapped up a little quick. Some of the detail in the shots were stunning, as Ralph mentions. I did have a problem with black crush in most of the film. (and I do have my custom gamma calibrated) Part of this was due to the highly contrasted look they were going after. Noticed it right away in the first scene. Glad to see you caught that as well Ralph.

Sound was excellent. Dynamic, clear and encompassing. Very enjoyable.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5

Dan

Greetings,

Thanks Dan. I always enjoy reading your take.

Spoiler  
He was not blind however they never indicate how/why he could read brail.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #68 of 122 Old 06-17-2010, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Spoiler  

Regards,

Thanks Ralph, and thanks for the answer too!

Dan
post #69 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

recieved mine a day early will be watching tonight. Thanks for the review Ralph at least gives me an idea what too expect

Frank

post #70 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks Ralph, and thanks for the answer too!

Dan

Interesting thought, Dan.

Spoiler  
I actually watched this again last night, specifically looking for anything that outright explains that he wasn't blind. It was entirely plausible that he was, up until the first shootout in the center of town. I don't care how acute a blind person's other senses would get, it's just not possible for a blind man to pull that off.

Unless he's "Daredevil".

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #71 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fantastic film thoroughly enjoyed it. Ralph spot on with pq and aq.

Frank

post #72 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Oldman's character was very good also, and a strong character. However, the premise of why he was looking for the book was a little disappointing to me.

Spoiler  
So he was going to use the Bible to get the weak minded to follow him? The Bible had just the right words to sway them? Seems like a back handed insult to those who believe what the Bible says. Oldman's character was preying on those with weak minds, using the Bible? Insulting. Maybe this was just the point, to show that Oldman's character may have actually been the ignorant one? I don't know.

Dan

Spoiler  
Have you read the bible? There are many passages that can be "creatively" interpreted. People have used religion for evil purposes for ages. Why would Oldman trying to do the same thing be insulting to you? It made the film more balanced in my view. I also liked that they showed other religion's texts were valued, and saved, as well.

Art
post #73 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Spoiler  
Have you read the bible? There are many passages that can be "creatively" interpreted. People have used religion for evil purposes for ages. Why would Oldman trying to do the same thing be insulting to you? It made the film more balanced in my view. I also liked that they showed other religion's texts were valued, and saved, as well.

Art

No offense, but your comments lead me to believe you missed my point. You took my comments into a whole new direction. Out of respect for Ralph's reviews, I will not be discussing this further because it will derail the thread and isn't the purpose of these threads. I'll just leave it at that. In an effort to clarify my point:

Spoiler  
To answer your question, Yes, I have read the Bible... possibly all of it. But non the less, my point was that Oldman specifically mentions the desperate and weak minded as his prey. The Bible passages were meant to target them specifically, to lull them into Oldman's characters control. Not the strong minded, in control, content individuals. I felt that this was an insult to strong minded individuals who believe and have faith in the passages of the Bible. Take other religions for example. I believe this would be an insult to them as well, if Oldman's characters comments were in reference to their "holy book". That was my point.

Again, I enjoyed this film very much. I just had issue with that one strategy of Oldman's character

Cheers

Dan
post #74 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No offense, but your comments lead me to believe you missed my point. You took my comments into a whole new direction. Out of respect for Ralph's reviews, I will not be discussing this further because it will derail the thread and isn't the purpose of these threads. I'll just leave it at that. In an effort to clarify my point:

Spoiler  
To answer your question, Yes, I have read the Bible... possibly all of it. But non the less, my point was that Oldman specifically mentions the desperate and weak minded as his prey. The Bible passages were meant to target them specifically, to lull them into Oldman's characters control. Not the strong minded, in control, content individuals. I felt that this was an insult to strong minded individuals who believe and have faith in the passages of the Bible. Take other religions for example. I believe this would be an insult to them as well, if Oldman's characters comments were in reference to their "holy book". That was my point.

Again, I enjoyed this film very much. I just had issue with that one strategy of Oldman's character

Cheers

Dan

No offense taken.

Just to clarify my point:
Spoiler  
Sorry if my "have you read the bible?" came off as insulting.
As I stated before, there are passages that can be read in more than one way. An easily influenced person may be swayed into behavior based off of Oldmans influence in that regard. What I was getting at is, as a strong minded individual, why should you be offended that the character felt he could get his way with the weaker minded? The bible would only be a tool in his manipulation.

I also enjoyed the film. The video and audio were very good.

Art
post #75 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Cheers Art. Thanks for the clarification. Now I'm off to go see if the local Blockbuster has a copy of Shutter Island (Bluray). Been trying for a copy for a week and a half now with no luck. Been looking forward to it, and will give my mini review as usual.

Regards,
Dan
post #76 of 122 Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Just bought this one and really looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for there input and of course the Biggest thanks to Ralph for inspiring me to watch this one with his excellent detailed review that are always wright on !!!! Cant wait to watch it this weekend .
post #77 of 122 Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Just bought this one and really looking forward to it. Thanks to everyone for there input and of course the Biggest thanks to Ralph for inspiring me to watch this one with his excellent detailed review that are always wright on !!!! Cant wait to watch it this weekend .

Greetings,

You're welcome. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #78 of 122 Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Interesting thought, Dan.

Spoiler  
I actually watched this again last night, specifically looking for anything that outright explains that he wasn't blind. It was entirely plausible that he was, up until the first shootout in the center of town. I don't care how acute a blind person's other senses would get, it's just not possible for a blind man to pull that off.

Unless he's "Daredevil".

I wonder if it was originally part of the plot line, but they just couldn't make it work. What made me wonder were a few of the comments made earlier in the film.

Spoiler  
Eli's sense of smell was VERY acute, even one of the bandits commented about it when they tried to ambush them. Something like "you're the first one to smell us from 30 feet/yards away" He could also hear very good. Remember the scene with the bird he shot out of the sky. He heard that coming far before Solara. I'm not sure she even heard it. Both of those other senses were heightened, common with the blind.

But you are right, as soon as you see the gun battles, it seems implausible. It was fun to think about though. It would have made for a very stunning ending! Maybe they tried to make it work, but as they worked through the script, it just didn't work. Only Gary Whitta can help us with this one. My guess is that Eli just heightened his skills from so many years surviving.

Dan
post #79 of 122 Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
No color, no rent. For sure, no buy.
post #80 of 122 Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 140
This is an absolutely incredible film from the beautiful score to the ultra-violence to the Christian narrative. I applaud the Hughes brothers for taking on a wonderful religious message of belief versus rationalism in this secular humanist materialist society of ours. Bravo.
post #81 of 122 Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Cant wait going to try and watch this one tonight after the the fights
post #82 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 06:55 AM

Liked: 10
Great review. Great movie! Very well done Gary.
post #83 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

No color, no rent. For sure, no buy.

Your call, but you'll be missing a great video experience. The detail is amazing.

It's de-saturated, not B/W. Perfectly appropriate for the location, and the subject matter. Much better looking than 'The Road' for comparison.

Art
post #84 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Your call, but you'll be missing a great video experience. The detail is amazing.

It's de-saturated, not B/W. Perfectly appropriate for the location, and the subject matter. Much better looking than 'The Road' for comparison.

Art

Greetings,

I absolutely agree Art.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #85 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I wonder if it was originally part of the plot line, but they just couldn't make it work. What made me wonder were a few of the comments made earlier in the film.

Spoiler  
Eli's sense of smell was VERY acute, even one of the bandits commented about it when they tried to ambush them. Something like "you're the first one to smell us from 30 feet/yards away" He could also hear very good. Remember the scene with the bird he shot out of the sky. He heard that coming far before Solara. I'm not sure she even heard it. Both of those other senses were heightened, common with the blind.

But you are right, as soon as you see the gun battles, it seems implausible. It was fun to think about though. It would have made for a very stunning ending! Maybe they tried to make it work, but as they worked through the script, it just didn't work. Only Gary Whitta can help us with this one. My guess is that Eli just heightened his skills from so many years surviving.

Dan

Yeppers, it was fun watching it with that in mind.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #86 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Art

+1

Watched with others on my ISF calibrated JVC 950 and everyone noted the stunning beauty of several scenes.

The artistic style does not at all detract from the spectacular HD visuals in this blu-ray. The audio is outstanding as well.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #87 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Spoiler  

Looked at another way, if you juxtapose Denzel's character against Oldman's you have an insightful commentary.

The story displays how the same book could be used powerfully for both good and evil. The key differentiator here being the heart and motives of the user.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #88 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Spoiler  

Regards,

Spoiler  
Are you sure he wasn't blind? Everywhere I read seems to indicate he was blind.(scroll down to "Spoilers Below:")

post #89 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Looked at another way, if you juxtapose Denzel's character against Oldman's you have an insightful commentary.

The story displays how the same book could be used powerfully for both good and evil. The key differentiator here being the heart and motives of the user.

Very good comments, agreed. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Spoiler  
Are you sure he wasn't blind? Everywhere I read seems to indicate he was blind.(scroll down to "Spoilers Below:")

Thank you very much for finding that article! It's been at the back of my mind since I finished the film.

Spoiler  
That article makes the assumption pretty cut and dry that he was blind, as long as it is accurate. Maybe I wasn't as sleepy as I thought, when the movie finished and I thought "Are they saying that he was blind the whole time? Wild" It definately puts a very cool twist on the whole movie, and depth behind Eli's faith becomes even stronger.

Dan
post #90 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Minutes away from throwing this one in the BDP and firing up the man cave
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Book Of Eli Blu Ray
Gear in this thread