The Book of Eli (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 122 Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Wow great movie I really enjoyed this one from the begining all the way to the end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 122 Old 06-22-2010, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Are you sure he wasn't blind? Everywhere I read seems to indicate he was blind.(scroll down to "Spoilers Below:")

Greetings,

YES! Thanks much for finding this. Dan your instincts were right..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #93 of 122 Old 06-22-2010, 01:12 PM

Liked: 10
Great review, Ralph!

Loved the movie...and REALLY loved the score.

2nd time through the movie I found a TON of hints as to what's going on with Eli...IMO...largest hints occur at the beginning in the house he inspects....very subtle, but VERY clear (again...at least IMO)
post #94 of 122 Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

I wonder if it was originally part of the plot line, but they just couldn't make it work. What made me wonder were a few of the comments made earlier in the film.

Spoiler  
Eli's sense of smell was VERY acute, even one of the bandits commented about it when they tried to ambush them. Something like "you're the first one to smell us from 30 feet/yards away" He could also hear very good. Remember the scene with the bird he shot out of the sky. He heard that coming far before Solara. I'm not sure she even heard it. Both of those other senses were heightened, common with the blind.

But you are right, as soon as you see the gun battles, it seems implausible. It was fun to think about though. It would have made for a very stunning ending! Maybe they tried to make it work, but as they worked through the script, it just didn't work. Only Gary Whitta can help us with this one. My guess is that Eli just heightened his skills from so many years surviving.

Dan

Since I was quick to critique your views on Oldman's motivations, I thought I should give you credit for being correct, and perceptive, about the above spoiler.

Art
post #95 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Dan your instincts were right..

Regards,

I guess so, but I have mixed feelings about it. (comments below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Since I was quick to critique your views on Oldman's motivations, I thought I should give you credit for being correct, and perceptive, about the above spoiler.

Art

Thanks Art. No problems about the earlier critique. It really wasn’t a huge deal to me, but something that got me thinking. My thoughts were truly off on a tangent, and I think I read something into the script that wasn’t there, but at least we all know my thoughts on the matter.

Now, regarding the spoiler about Eli:
Spoiler  
Reading the article that terminal33 was kind enough to post, I have some more comments. While it is cool to know that the character twist at the end was true (Eli being blind), I’m not sure I like the idea or not.

First, I have to comment about Denzel’s confidence/arrogance. When Gary Whitta challenged Denzel whether or not he could pull off Denzel’s version of a blind Eli, Denzel gave Gary a look like “b!tch, please.” (I’m paraphrasing here ). Then Denzel takes Gary to his home and shows him his Oscars, as if to say, “don’t challenge me again”. I have to say, I don’t think Denzel pulled off the blind Eli. Sure, I caught it, but it was far from obvious in the end, and the only thing that gave it away was the Braille Bible, not Denzel’s acting in the rest of the film in my opinion. I love Denzel as an actor, and he is one of the elite no doubt, but I think he was a little too “confident” about his ability here. (I also happen to believe that Ethan Hawke deserved the Oscar that Denzel got for Training Day, but that’s a whole new topic.)

Now, back to why I’m not sure I like the idea of Eli truly being blind. While it does provide a “wow, cool” factor to the ending, it also forces the viewer to completely buy into the fact that Eli was inspired. I think this may push even more viewers over the edge, discarding the plausibility of the film. (if they haven’t already). It even gives me a little of that feeling, like it’s a little over the top. So I love the idea, and I don’t love the idea. Granted, this is all fiction in the first place.

Dan
post #96 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry if i missed the answer on this but maybe someone can e-mail me for a clarification? See spoiler below.

Spoiler  
If Eli was truly blind how was he able to shoot those men in that specific gun scene especially the guy on the roof?
post #97 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Sorry if i missed the answer on this but maybe someone can e-mail me for a clarification? See spoiler below.

Spoiler  
If Eli was truly blind how was he able to shoot those men in that specific gun scene especially the guy on the roof?

Spoiler  
I believe the premise of the film is that he had strong divine help ever since he heard the voice speak to him 30 years prior.

Eli being blind also helps to substantiate why it took so long for him to reach the west coast. Eli says in the film something similar to “I travel where I feel guided”. This was in response after Solara asks him why it’s taking him so long (30 years) to get to the West coast. …makes a little more sense when he’s blind.

Dan
post #98 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Spoiler  
I believe the premise of the film is that he had strong divine help ever since he heard the voice speak to him 30 years prior.

Eli being blind also helps to substantiate why it took so long for him to reach the west coast. Eli says in the film something similar to “I travel where I feel guided”. This was in response after Solara asks him why it’s taking him so long (30 years) to get to the West coast. …makes a little more sense when he’s blind.

Dan

To add to Dan's response:

Spoiler  
During the shootout in the town square, Oldman's right hand man shoots at Denzel's character from about 15 feet away, and the bullet misses him. Divine help was the first thing that popped into my head when that happened.

Does this film review thread lead in the amount of spoiler tags?

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #99 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler  

Eli being blind also helps to substantiate why it took so long for him to reach the west coast. Eli says in the film something similar to I travel where I feel guided. This was in response after Solara asks him why it's taking him so long (30 years) to get to the West coast. makes a little more sense when he's blind.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

To add to Dan's response:

Does this film review thread lead in the amount of spoiler tags?

Thanks for the clarification guys. I was confused when i saw that scene that it almost didn't made sense.
post #100 of 122 Old 06-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Spoiler  

Spoiler  
I've also read (although I haven't watched the movie a 2nd time to confirm) that in that scene, Eli doesn't shoot back until he's shot at. That way he knows where the shooter is since his hearing is so advanced.

post #101 of 122 Old 06-24-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

Spoiler  
I've also read (although I haven't watched the movie a 2nd time to confirm) that in that scene, Eli doesn't shoot back until he's shot at. That way he knows where the shooter is since his hearing is so advanced.

Spoiler  
That's exactly where they screwed up in my opinion. To find a single shooter via sound is believable, but when all hell broke loose, there were multiple shots in all directions. So him relying just on his acute senses just isn't plausible. Divine help would be the only answer.

Going to give it another spin for the 3rd time this weekend.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #102 of 122 Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Now, regarding the spoiler about Eli:
Spoiler  
Reading the article that terminal33 was kind enough to post, I have some more comments. While it is cool to know that the character twist at the end was true (Eli being blind), I’m not sure I like the idea or not.
Now, back to why I’m not sure I like the idea of Eli truly being blind. While it does provide a “wow, cool” factor to the ending, it also forces the viewer to completely buy into the fact that Eli was inspired. I think this may push even more viewers over the edge, discarding the plausibility of the film. (if they haven’t already). It even gives me a little of that feeling, like it’s a little over the top. So I love the idea, and I don’t love the idea. Granted, this is all fiction in the first place.

Dan

I had similar thoughts about the surprise aspect of the movie, but upon further consideration of it I've had a change of heart and have become more positively inclined toward it even as a story. Long spoiler below explains my thinking...

Spoiler  

I picked up some of the allusions to Denzel's character possibly being blind the 1st time I watched movie. Particularly when he commented about Jennifer Beals character and asked her about her blindness. It just seemed to be significant. So when the brail bible appeared I knew the character was intended to be blind.

Thinking back on the film at 1st I thought in general it seemed implausible that the character could have been blind, esp. given the gunfight scene. That made it seem a bit unsatisfying although I did note from the eariler referenced article confirming the blindness, that the writer had a comic book background in mind.

On further reflection though, taking the premise of the movie, if one believes in God the Creator at all then what would be implausible for Him to do? In fact even the Bible includes several stories of supernatural help from God being applied to war and combat scenarios.

Maybe the most famous of these is Sampson. So I find it more satisfying to think of Eli as a modern day Sampson. Implausible? Maybe so. But then if you're Creator of the Universe, maybe not so much.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #103 of 122 Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to Ralph.
Got my copy and watched it last night.

I thought the sound mix was reference quality, with lots of effects at every given time (from great shooting sounds that sounded as real as it should to just the wind blowing), nice LFE, and a very dynamic sound presentation, using every component of your sound system.

Picture Quality was pristine although it kept the gritty feeling of the movie.

As for the movie itself, I think filmmaking was really good with some really nice shots, like the action scene at the old people house.

And despite what could be considered a pretty heavy religious message, which I personnaly don't like in movies, I think if you think it through it can be overcome, since the message of the movie (among others such as intolerance) at the end is the transmission of knowledge in general.
At least, that's how I got it.

Not a great one, but an enjoyable one.
post #104 of 122 Old 06-25-2010, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokh1985 View Post

Just wanted to say thanks to Ralph.
Got my copy and watched it last night.

I thought the sound mix was reference quality, with lots of effects at every given time (from great shooting sounds that sounded as real as it should to just the wind blowing), nice LFE, and a very dynamic sound presentation, using every component of your sound system.

Picture Quality was pristine although it kept the gritty feeling of the movie.

As for the movie itself, I think filmmaking was really good with some really nice shots, like the action scene at the old people house.

And despite what could be considered a pretty heavy religious message, which I personnaly don't like in movies, I think if you think it through it can be overcome, since the message of the movie (among others such as intolerance) at the end is the transmission of knowledge in general.
At least, that's how I got it.

Not a great one, but an enjoyable one.

Greetings,

You're very welcome. Thanks for sharing your impressions..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #105 of 122 Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Always glad to see this movie get people talking, as it was intended to do
post #106 of 122 Old 06-26-2010, 08:25 PM

Just finished watching this bad boy, great movie.

GG Gary Whitta

Thanks for showing that the Qur'an is there as well
post #107 of 122 Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM

It was really good.
post #108 of 122 Old 07-05-2010, 05:19 PM

I am new to the hdtv scene having only recently purchased a 46" sony.
Just have to say that Ralph has nailed every review so far although I have not gone through too many yet lol.

I searched high and low for KFP after reading your review here... nobody has in stock! you can find it online easy enough but man that movie is HOT.

anyway back to book of eli. I am not religious and hate movies that lay on the "agenda" in an obvious way. this movie did not do that and it was pretty darn good for what it is. to those who compare it to "the road" shame on you. I watched that last night and it was awful. no plot, no ending, over emphasized drama.... ugh.

anyway thanks for the review and i will keep coming here for movie ideas
post #109 of 122 Old 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post

I am new to the hdtv scene having only recently purchased a 46" sony.
Just have to say that Ralph has nailed every review so far although I have not gone through too many yet lol.

I searched high and low for KFP after reading your review here... nobody has in stock! you can find it online easy enough but man that movie is HOT.

anyway back to book of eli. I am not religious and hate movies that lay on the "agenda" in an obvious way. this movie did not do that and it was pretty darn good for what it is. to those who compare it to "the road" shame on you. I watched that last night and it was awful. no plot, no ending, over emphasized drama.... ugh.

anyway thanks for the review and i will keep coming here for movie ideas

Greetings,

Sounds like a plan lafester..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #110 of 122 Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Enjoyed the action and acting somewhat but I admit the book part Lost me.
post #111 of 122 Old 07-08-2010, 06:26 PM

I saw it once and only once in the theater. I could not wait for it come out on Blu-Ray to answer some of the original questions I had from watching it the first time in the theater. I believe a majority of the answers some of you seek or want to not believe are all in the movie if you turn it up and pay attention enough.

Spoiler  
While there is a single scene or two where I think Denzel doesn't do it well, I believe the rest of it is all plausible and explainable based on the proof we now know from the Garry Whitta link/spoiler posted above. There were so many clues I missed until I got home, on my just broken in new audio system, and turned it up. For the scene(s) in question, I say replay them, getting louder...be like him, close your eyes, act blind and listen. The gunfight scene has amazing sound placement. There are even a few very clear instances IMO where it shows, but they were almost non-existent or too subtle when I saw it in the theater or at a low volume.

I believe this to be one of the better movies in my collection in regards to sound, partially because it unlocks a lot of the story, so I enjoy the reference quality of the track to played louder than normal. I enjoy the video quality too, but I must admit do to the darkness and odd colors used sometimes in scenes where you wouldn't expect, watching it on anything without calibration makes it visually off.
post #112 of 122 Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I would like to throw my 0.02 out there for those that have not watched the movie. Most people I know absoutely hated the movie and said it was one of the worst movies they have ever seen. Much like everyone else here, I absolutely loved it.

I think to fully enjoy this movie, it is best to know NOTHING about this movie. Although accurate (except I would have said the audio is reference worthy), I am gald I did not read the synopsis/review by Ralph. This movie was largely enjoyable to me, b/c I had ZERO background on the movie. Reading the review would have been a spoiler in my situation. I did not even assume a connection to religion when I watched the movie.

I think that being a Christian and respecting God HELPS to appreciate the movie even more. There were scenes that gave me goosebumps and motivated me. On the same note, I watched this movie with 4 other "strong" Christians (I am just a regular Christian ), and they did not derive any Christian themes or under-tones in the whole movie. They actually did not like it. So, I think those paranoid by the thought of religion are over reacting to this movie being a "Christian" or "religious" movie.

My advice is to watch the movie with no expectations, and to pay attention.

I do have a question, but unfortunately I do not know how to use those cool "spoiler alert" tabs. I can ask this question openly without giving anything away. Can someone PM or encode (via the "spoiler alert" tab) their answer. Around the beginning of the movie, Denzel put a recorder or something to his ear when he came to a fork in the road. What is up with that?
post #113 of 122 Old 07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is it me or the center channel is lower than usual?, had to bump it up about 4 notches!
post #114 of 122 Old 07-17-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Spoiler tags look like... [ spoiler ] ..... [ /spoiler ]
I put spaces so that it would show on screen.
Put the first spoiler bracket before the first word you want to be hidden,
then put the last spoiler tag with a slash after the last word you want hidden.

IE: [ spoiler ] this message is spoiled [ /spoiler ]
Without the spaces, it will work like this...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #115 of 122 Old 07-17-2010, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post

Is it me or the center channel is lower than usual?, had to bump it up about 4 notches!

I noticed that when I watched the movie at my parents house (Onkyo HTIB ). I bumped the center by 3 points. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing on my set-up.

Thank you so much Smarty Pants!
post #116 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 AM

Bought this movie on Ralph's recommendation. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing but did skip through a bit as I had heard fantastic things about the audio pan at the end of chapter 18. Simply amazing.

This will be a demo disc for quite some time in my HT.

Thanks again Ralph!
post #117 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I've watched this twice enjoying it both times. Some gun shots, for example, are some of the best use of surround I've experienced.

I have a question regarding a reference that I thought wasn't explaned but maybe I just missed it:

Spoiler  
Why did certain character shake,who were they,what were they?

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #118 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Sonneborn View Post

I've watched this twice enjoying it both times. Some gun shots, for example, are some of the best use of surround I've experienced.

I have a question regarding a reference that I thought wasn't explaned but maybe I just missed it:

Spoiler  
Why did certain character shake,who were they,what were they?

Art

Spoiler  
Art, IIRC the "shakes" were a side effect of consuming human meat.

A very enjoyable film BTW.

You watch a Donnie Yen movie to watch what Donnie does best - kick-ass!
post #119 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leifashley27 View Post

Bought this movie on Ralph's recommendation. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole thing but did skip through a bit as I had heard fantastic things about the audio pan at the end of chapter 18. Simply amazing.

This will be a demo disc for quite some time in my HT.

Thanks again Ralph!

Greetings,

My pleasure. Enjoy!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #120 of 122 Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroenen View Post

Spoiler  
Art, IIRC the "shakes" were a side effect of consuming human meat.

A very enjoyable film BTW.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Chris...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Book Of Eli Blu Ray