Studio and Year: Warner - 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Beal, Ray Stevenson, Michael Gambon, Francis De La Tour
Directed by: Albert & Allen Hughes
Music by: Atticus Ross
Written by: Gary Whitta
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 15, 2010

"Some will kill to have it. He will kill to protect it"

Film Synopsis:

Eli walks alone in post-apocalyptic America. He heads west along the Highway of Death on a mission he doesn't fully understand but knows he must complete. In his backpack is the last copy of a book that could become the wellspring of a revived society or in the wrong hands, the hammer of a despot. Denzel Washington is Eli, who keeps his blade sharp and his survival instincts sharper as his quest thrusts him into a savage wastelandand into explosive conflict with a resourceful warlord (Gary Oldman) set on possessing the book.

My Take:

We walk by faith, not by sight. The Book of Eli is a sort of multi-genre film that takes place thirty years after an apocalyptic event has devastated the planet. Civilization has been obliterated along with humanity. Those that remain survive by preying on others or serve at the whim of moguls who offer protection for subservience. There are few remaining that lived or remember life prior to the apocalypse. Many of the world's books were destroyed afterward and the majority of the current populace can't read. Eli (Washington) is a walker who travels alone by foot with only his backpack and what appears to be an empty sawed off shotgun. At first glance he would seem to be a middle aged loner that would be an easy mark for opportunists. This assumption has cost many their lives. Eli carries with him a book which he has read from every day for the last thirty years. To most it would be of little value but Eli seeks to take it west to those who understand and respect its contents. Carnegie (Oldman) has been searching for the book for years and sees it as a means to exercise control over the fragile people/society that he considers ripe for the taking. Their paths converge when Eli comes to the small town run by Carnegie. When his attempt to bribe Eli by offering the company of a young woman named Solara (Kunis) fails, Carnegie resorts to using force via his throng of heavily armed minions. What he doesn't realize is that Eli is no ordinary walker. He is a man driven by faith and possessing an indomitable belief that nothing will prevent him from fulfilling his mission. The fact that he is also an efficient killing machine doesn't hurt either

I had heard good things about this film but never got around to catching it during its theatrical run. This post apocalyptic story has a sort of Road Warrior/Western/Graphic novel feel with a helping of morality sprinkled on top. It works and I like the implementation as it offers a good blend of action, drama and thrills. The story and characters are developed pretty well and at nearly two hours in length I thought it was perfectly paced. The cinematography, visual style and effects sequences properly set the tone of the film while adding to its appeal. Denzel Washington is typically credible in the lead role and capably pulls off the action set pieces. It is always good to see Gary Oldman playing the heavy and Mila Kunis does more than just supply eye candy in the role of Solara. The story is a bit preachy and the ending doesn't quite live up to the first two acts but the overall result is an entertaining and discussion provoking film that is definitely worth seeing.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brutal violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Book of Eli comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that features a de-saturated color scheme (50 to 70 %) that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The visible color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red and muted sepia tones. Warm golden accents are used to break up the film's monochromatic essence. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays with washing away detail. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. The use of green screens softens some of the background elements during wide angle pans but I never found it to be excessive or distracting. Overall I found the quality of the video to be high. Every scene isn't always razor sharp but it is pristinely rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increases the perception of fine detail and depth/dimension. A great example occurs during chapter 17 where there is a low wide angle shot of George and Martha's house (around the 1:13:30 mark) taken from behind as Eli and Solara approach. This shot looks amazing and has a near infinite sense of depth as everything within the frame appears in focus with clearly articulated textural nuance that brings out the subtle differences in shapes of stones, and the rough surface of the clapboarding on the old house. Blacks are dynamic and gradational and detail in shadowy areas is discernible but not as revealing as I would have liked. I find the film's deep grays, rich contrast and intriguing use of color enamoring. Grain is visible but never obtrusive and I saw no signs of video degrading artifacts or compression related noise.

I have been impressed with the DTS-HD MA soundtracks from Warner's big ticket action films and The Book of Eli is no different. This is a very involving surround mix that delivers an enriching home theater experience. Integration of the front and rear soundstages is seamless as discretely placed sounds follow a deliberate and realistic path as dictated by the events onscreen. This is an active sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Bass is robust and can sometimes be substantive in depth but never rises inappropriately in prominence within the soundfield. The delicate blend of Atticus Ross' music, discrete/spatial ambience, crystalline dialogue and invigorating dynamics is supremely enriching as it weaves an aurally stimulating pattern across the surround platform. I found this to be a superb audio/video presentation that enhances the enjoyment of this film.

Bonus Features:

• Maximum Movie Mode: An in-depth look at the film/production and an interactive viewer that includes PiP, Storyboards, concept art, cast/crew interviews and more. It is far from your everyday run of the mill BonusView track and is broken down into 10 Focus points segments that can also be viewed independently.

• (HD) Focus Points: (35 minutes)

1. The look of Eli
    2. Underpass
    3. Building Carnegie's town
    4. The motorcycle brigade
    5. Eli goes to battle
    6. Eli's mission
    7. Shootout at George and Martha's
    8. Eli's weapon choice
    9. Solara causes mayhem
    10. Apocalyptic San Francisco

• (HD) A lost tale: Billy - Animated short

• (HD) Behind the story:

1. Starting over - 13 minute featurette
    2. Eli's journey - 18 minute featurette

• (HD) 3 Deleted/Alternate scenes

• (HD) The Book of Eli soundtrack - 5 minute featurette

• WB BD-Live enabled

• Bonus Disc: Digital Copy/DVD version of The Book of Eli
attachment.php?attachmentid=176985&d=1275346712

Final Thoughts:

The Book of Eli represents another entry in the recent wave of post apocalyptic films that I have seen. It has the look and feel of a graphic novel and features a good blend of action, drama and thrills built around a strong lead character and a morally suggestive story that in my opinion never rises to an overt level. Kudos to Warner on this Blu-ray Disc presentation as I appreciated its stylized, high quality video and superlative DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The inclusion of a comprehensive and fan friendly set of interactive Blu-ray Disc bonus features enhances the enjoyment of an already strong offering that comes highly recommended. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw this one in the theater, can not wait to get a hold of a copy for myself!!!

Once again, great review Ralph!!

post #3 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I watched this a few weeks ago, definitely worth a blind buy.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #4 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Believe it or not, this is one of a mere handful* of movies I have seen in my life that made me cry. Hard to explain, but it had real impact on me.

* Schindler's List, The Elephant Man, The Passion of the Christ, and perhaps a couple of others

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #5 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 02:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Believe it or not, this is one of a mere handful* of movies I have seen in my life that made me cry. Hard to explain, but it had real impact on me.

* Schindler's List, The Elephant Man, The Passion of the Christ, and perhaps a couple of others

Schindler's list was good.
I laughed at The Passion of the Christ.
I liked Book of Eli, the violence was awesome, didn't agree with the overall message in the movie though.

Nice review as always Ralph! Thanks!
post #6 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3r-L33ch View Post

Schindler's list was good.
I laughed at The Passion of the Christ.
I liked Book of Eli, the violence was awesome, didn't agree with the overall message in the movie though.

Nice review as always Ralph! Thanks!

I think I'm probably right about your pace, which is why I haven't seen the movie yet. Too many religious friends getting overly excited about this one. Though I think I'll give it a shot.
post #7 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 03:11 PM

I absolutely adored this movie. The ending was very brave (but in my case... welcome). Very different from the equally impressive "The Road".

Washington, Oldman and Mila Kunis were all on top form and the cinematography is "striking". Thumbs up and another great review Ralph!
post #8 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

This movie absolutely ROCKED!

One of my favorite of all time...PERIOD!
post #9 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the excellent review!
post #10 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Whitta View Post

Thanks for the excellent review!

Greetings,

Thanks for an excellent job on this film Gary!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Mr Whitta: Sir, your story moved me. Thank you.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #12 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Mr Whitta: Sir, your story moved me. Thank you.

Thanks a lot, hearing stuff like that is what makes it all worthwhile
post #13 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM

Liked: 31
This will find its way into my collection on the 15th....

Thanks again King Potts !
post #14 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I wanna see this for one other reason other than just the pure enjoyment of watching. Mila Kunis, who for me came out of nowhere to become smoking hot in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Extract. I never really even noticed her in That 70's Show. She has grown into adulthood nicely.

Now for something kinda off topic but kinda related to this thread. Did anybody know that Denzel Washington's right pinky finger at the knuckle is literally at a 45 degree angle. He broke it as a kid and it never healed properly. It looks freakish and I can't believe I've never noticed it before in his movies. Guess it's something else to watch for in this movie besides Ms Kunis.

Actually that brings me to another piece of off topic trivia about Ms Kunis. Did you know that she has been dating McCaulkey Culkin for the last decade. That to me is more freakish than Denzel's deformed digit. What the hell is she thinking, the guy looks like a mutant on a good day and she probably has to support him to boot since the last movie I remember him in was Richie Rich.
post #15 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan View Post

I wanna see this for one other reason other than just the pure enjoyment of watching. Mila Kunis, who for me came out of nowhere to become smoking hot in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Extract. I never really even noticed her in That 70's Show. She has grown into adulthood nicely.

Now for something kinda off topic but kinda related to this thread. Did anybody know that Denzel Washington's right pinky finger at the knuckle is literally at a 45 degree angle. He broke it as a kid and it never healed properly. It looks freakish and I can't believe I've never noticed it before in his movies. Guess it's something else to watch for in this movie besides Ms Kunis.

Actually that brings me to another piece of off topic trivia about Ms Kunis. Did you know that she has been dating McCaulkey Culkin for the last decade. That to me is more freakish than Denzel's deformed digit. What the hell is she thinking, the guy looks like a mutant on a good day and she probably has to support him to boot since the last movie I remember him in was Richie Rich.

Give me some..

beside the above, I'm really interested in this film/genre as well. Watched The Road this passed weekend and left me jonesing for more of the same type of flick..being that we're obsessed with the beginning after it's all gone

Awesome review as always

Djoel
post #16 of 122 Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Wow, the comments about this film combined with Ralph's excellent review really have me wanting to see this...hope Netflix hooks me up soon!

PS. I agree about Mila...she's amazing!
post #17 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I was on the fence about this movie. But the combination of the review, the other posters' opinions, and my support of other AVS members' work (Congrats Gary! ) make me want to check this out.
post #18 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

To me this was a dreadful movie as are about 99 percent of the apocolocytic genre. They all look pretty much alike, sound alike, have similar and predictalbe plots, robotic acting and a ceaseless trail of violence, sadism and gloominess.

I had hoped this one might be better than others because of Denzel Washington but, unfortunately it was not.

fafner
post #19 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 AM

"and a ceaseless trail of violence, sadism and gloominess"

You were expecting something else after the apocalypse?
post #20 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

Give me some..

beside the above, I'm really interested in this film/genre as well. Watched The Road this passed weekend and left me jonesing for more of the same type of flick..being that we're obsessed with the beginning after it's all gone

Awesome review as always

Djoel

Trust me, you're in for a treat. I watched this a few days after watching "The Road", and while they're totally different movies (same setting), "Eli" was a heck of a lot better.

btw, congrats to Gary.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #21 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Even if Ralph's review was a negative one ( which it isn't ), I'd still be buying this for my collection. I'm a sucker for anything Denzel does.
post #22 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Trust me, you're in for a treat. I watched this a few days after watching "The Road", and while they're totally different movies (same setting), "Eli" was a heck of a lot better.

btw, congrats to Gary.

Thanks Looking foward in getting this for sure.

Also how are you guys getting your copies before release date? If BD is the way you're watching other than theater viewing.

Djoel
post #23 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Really enjoyed this movie and a great ending.

Onkyo TX-NR807Jamo Fronts and RearsSEA SubwooferPanasonic 42in PlasmaPanasonic Blu-Ray
post #24 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

This movie is just bad @$$!!!

Actually saw it twice because it was so good! Although i was a bit surprised and puzzled at the western scene.

Overall this movie is a........Collect!!!

Cheers
post #25 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Whitta View Post

Thanks a lot, hearing stuff like that is what makes it all worthwhile

Hey, Gary. It is well deserved. This movie has so many layers to it... it's so much more than just another "apocolypse movie" or another "religious movie". It has those elements but it has so much more. I liked "THE ROAD" alot. Viggo and the kid were ace, but "ELI" had more meat to it's bones and that is thanks to you. Denzel and Gary were awesome aswell as was the Hughes Bros direction and the superb score. I loved every aspect of it... with special mention to the adorable Mila Kunis (who rocked as Solara). Well done Gary!
post #26 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
What's with the endless low average bitrates from WB??? Especially with VC-1 this should not be happening!

Comparing other oversea AVC encodes to WB's low bitrate VC-1 it usually gives us a good indication that this is a problem and affects both compression artifacting or the lack thereof and detail.

WB even did this to the much anticipated Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I'd hate to think what the extended cuts will look like.

Avatar showed just what high average bitrates with MPEG-4 AVC encoding and no filtering can get you, on top of a stellar transfer.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #27 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 PM

Liked: 14
Wait...is this movie heavily religious? I saw some posts about Passion of the Christ and "religious friends", etc. Ralph even said "preachy". I can overlook a lot of that type of content if it is well integrated, but I don't want to be banged over the head with religious dogma. Can someone expand on this?

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #28 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

Wait...is this movie heavily religious? I saw some posts about Passion of the Christ and "religious friends", etc. Ralph even said "preachy". I can overlook a lot of that type of content if it is well integrated, but I don't want to be banged over the head with religious dogma. Can someone expand on this?

Personally, I did think it went a little bit over the top on the Christian religious subtext and sounded a bit "preachy" as well. There are good things and bad things about all religions. But, that's just me. Kinda weird too with all the brutal violence... Hmmm...

Just not to the level of Passion of the Christ. Don't get me started on that one.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #29 of 122 Old 06-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Yeah, religion and violence never go together.
post #30 of 122 Old 06-04-2010, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datacide View Post

Greetings,

No worries it isn't heavily religious. I won't expound on it further other than to say that its integration within the story's narrative is far from in your face and works well within its context.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Book Of Eli Blu Ray
Gear in this thread