Starring: John Travolta, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Kasia Smutniak, Richard Durden
Directed by: Pierre Morel
Music by: David Buckley
Written by: Adi Hasak based on a story by Luc Besson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 8, 2010

"Welcome to Paris baby.."

Film Synopsis:

James Reece (Jonathan Rhys Meyers), personal aide to the U.S. ambassador to France, is secretly moonlighting as a low-level CIA operative. Looking for more action, Reece accepts a job that teams him with wisecracking special agent Charlie Wax (John Travolta), a trigger-happy loose cannon sent to Paris on a mission of international importance. Now, Reece finds himself on the wildest ride of his life as the new partners pull out all the stops to annihilate the enemy in this explosive, white knuckle, nonstop thriller.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=177141&d=1275567671

Trigger-happy special agent Charlie Wax (Travolta) leads rookie James Reese (Rhys Meyers) on a high-speed shooting frenzy through the Parisian underworld during a high-stakes CIA mission to foil a terrorist attack planned on the city. Before Reese realizes he’s bitten off more than he can chew, the duo discovers that he’s a target of the same crime ring planning the attack. Time is running out and they need to figure out who/what the intended target before it is too late.

This action/thriller is based on a story penned by Luc Besson whom I have great respect for. I think this film had good potential but it ultimately left me wanting. There is plenty of action but in a senseless for actions sake sort of way. I tend to enjoy slick spy stories but here the plot lacks intrigue and comes off as shallow, predictable and sometimes silly. Early on I figured that there must be an intelligently concealed plot twist coming but that shoe never dropped and the same weak storyline droned on. Character development is poor as we never get the chance to connect with anyone other than Charlie and Reese which makes the ending less emphatic. The only saving grace is John Travolta’s portrayal of Charlie Wax. His flippant, gauche and over the top behavior provides the best moments and seems to work within the film’s addled plot. The action sequences aren’t bad and do add an entertaining element. I suspect that getting the most out of From Paris with love may require a bit more than checking your brain at the door but I suppose that is a good place to start.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, drug content, pervasive language and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=177143&d=1275567671

From Paris with love comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 mbps.

This is a solid video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, bold use of contrast, deeply saturated colors, and three dimensional acuity. Blacks are punchy with good dynamic range and discernible gradational highlights. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable dimension. Images are snappy, boldly colorful, clearly drawn, eye catching and perfectly suited for the source material. Any softening is innate and strictly limited to the film’s visual style.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, plays an intricate role in this active surround mix. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable although I didn’t detect an appreciable sense of envelopment via the additional rear surround channels. That isn’t to suggest that this is less of an enveloping surround experience as a result. The low frequency effects channel is active as the subwoofer works in tandem with the rest of the system to convey the palpably rich bass and dynamic impact associated with the action based sequences. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I enjoyed this audio presentation but there was little about it that left an impression on me.

** It should be noted that upon inserting the disc a prompt to install an update appears. The update consists of a local time/weather icon and ticker style data on the main menu page. This feature didn’t work correctly on either my Oppo or Playstation 3 Blu-ray players and resulted in intermittent text/errors flashing over the screen. I am not sure how it will work come release date but bear this in mind should you opt to install it.

Bonus Features:

• BonusView PiP commentary with director Pierre Morel

• (HD) Making of From Paris with love – 26 minute featurette

• (HD) Spies, spooks, and special ops: Life undercover – 16 minute documentary

• (HD) Secrets of spy craft: Inside the international spy museum – 4 minute feature

• Friend or foe trivia game

• Charlie Wax’s gun locker – Interactive feature that examines some of the weapons used in the film

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

• Lionsgate Live (requires profile 2.0 player) – BD Live Menu System that lets you access Exclusive content, Special Offers, Ringtones and More
attachment.php?attachmentid=177142&d=1275567671

Final Thoughts:

From Paris with love is a middling spy action thriller that pales in comparison to the better films in its genre. The action sequences aren’t bad though and I enjoyed John Travolta’s portrayal of Charlie Wax. On a positive note its high definition presentation on Blu-ray looks/sounds great and comes with a decent bonus supplements package which includes a making of documentary, PiP director commentary, interactive features, Lionsgate BD-Live access and a digital copy. If you’re a fan this is worth a purchase otherwise I would recommend a rental first.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Ralph, thanks for the review. A rental it is. I had the feeling watching the trailer that it was all action and no story, with Travolta being the only reason to see this. I see that Lionsgate continues its love affair with 7.1 which is good news for fans who have this kind of setup.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Good job as always, Ralph. It's hard for me to buy into this re-invention of Travolta .. I had a hard time with his character in Pelham 123 .. probably just me. The tough guy / villian thing is just not resonating with me. I think it's his voice .. .. or maybe I keep thinking about "Wild Hogs" and "Old Dogs" ..

Is it just me or is he hoping for another "Pulp Fiction" ..??

I'll still rent it ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Travolta was fun as the villian in Broken Arrow and Swordfish, so I'm looking forward to this. Even his better "good-guy" roles like Get Shorty have tended to be darker characters.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #5 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Travolta was fun as the villian in Broken Arrow and Swordfish, so I'm looking forward to this. Even his better "good-guy" roles like Get Shorty have tended to be darker characters.

Greetings,

You'll more than likely appreciate his "Charlie Wax" then Chad.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #6 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Those had honestly slipped my mind .. old age does that. I'll keep those in mind when I rent From Paris with Love and thanks for reminding me

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
A rent 4 me....thanks King P
post #8 of 31 Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
From Paris With Love is your average action flick. I probably liked it more than I should have since I watched The Stranger with Stone Cold Steve Austin, which in my opinion is one of the worst movies this year. I sort of liked From Paris With Love, but it was nothing special. Travolta pretty much made this movie. If it wasn't for him then it would have just been plain terrible I think.
post #9 of 31 Old 06-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Jeez this was just plain awful. I luved Trovolta in Pulp, Face Off, Broken arrow but this is more in the line of Swordfish trying to be over the top but just doesn't cut it.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-08-2010, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Thy story/plot of this movie is nothing new but it's the action that gets me going.

Collect!

Cheers
post #11 of 31 Old 06-09-2010, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

The action sequences were for the most part the redeeming factor in this film, IMO.
Travolta was over the top with his bad boy image and looked ridiculous as a Howie Mandel clone look a like.
Rhys Meyers seemed mismatched for this role and the chemistry (if you can call it that)
between the partners was irritating to say the least.
Even with the check mind at the door some of the scenes were hard to swallow.
All in all still worth a rental.

Jeffrey

post #12 of 31 Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 AM

I was wondering if anyone here watched this movie on a projector and if you noticed a bluish white line on the left edge of the picture from top to bottom? On a hdtv you might not see this problem.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomBot View Post

I was wondering if anyone here watched this movie on a projector and if you noticed a bluish white line on the left edge of the picture from top to bottom? On a hdtv you might not see this problem.

Greetings,

I didn't notice anything like that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 31 Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I didn't notice anything like that.

Regards,

Strange that this is the only movie so far that has this not sure whats up maybe my copy.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Just watched this last night. First and foremost, it's a popcorn movie. It's not going to reveal any sort of cinematic or story layers. But, it is an action flick. On that count, it's one of the better ones I've seen in quite some time.

However, I am returning it to BB. Something's amiss in its authoring with lip sync working, and sometimes not. Plus, even on my OPPO BD 83 and PS3, load time is very long. So, something's up with the authoring.

I didn't download any FW, as it did say it was checking for it at the beginning of the disk.

Long and short of it, it seems something went wrong during the planning and mastering of the disk which will cause me to return it.

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #16 of 31 Old 06-11-2010, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Watched it last night and thought it was a pleasant diversion. I don't know why I was thinking Travolta played a villian - I kept expecting a last minute plot twist that never came. His sidekick didn't quite do it for me though. The action was good, but the films failure to explain itself in the end, left a bit of a sour taste. All-in-all it was worth watching, but maybe not worth keeping.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #17 of 31 Old 06-11-2010, 06:56 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Finally recieved my copy will be giving this a viewing tonight.

Frank

post #18 of 31 Old 06-11-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy View Post

Just watched this last night. First and foremost, it's a popcorn movie. It's not going to reveal any sort of cinematic or story layers. But, it is an action flick. On that count, it's one of the better ones I've seen in quite some time.

However, I am returning it to BB. Something's amiss in its authoring with lip sync working, and sometimes not. Plus, even on my OPPO BD 83 and PS3, load time is very long. So, something's up with the authoring.

I didn't download any FW, as it did say it was checking for it at the beginning of the disk.

Long and short of it, it seems something went wrong during the planning and mastering of the disk which will cause me to return it.

Something sounds amiss with your copy, for sure. I picked it up online from DDD and didn't experience either of the problems that you mentioned. The disc gave me the option to download firmware, before it loaded. But, as I wasn't interested in messing with any BD-Live enhancements, I selected no. The PS3 (60GB first gen) loaded the disc very quickly.

Sitting only about 1x screen width from a 92" screen I'm also very sensitive to sync issues. My copy didn't appear to have any. I have noticed with some problematic discs that sync issues sometimes manifest when my Denon AVR does the decoding though. So even my Panny, which can bitstream lossless (unlike my PS3) is set to do the decoding now.

No white line (I'm guessing if it's blue-white, the blue is a result of misconvergence) appeared on the screen edge either, unless it's only a couple pixels in width and was masked by my screen frame.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #19 of 31 Old 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It was a decent rental. Travolta made the movie.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #20 of 31 Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Fantastic! thoroughly enjoyed it. Travolta was great.

Frank

post #21 of 31 Old 06-12-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:

I did notice that same line on my screen BUT I looked at my lens settings and relized that I needed to expand the image.

Ralph... I really enjoyed this movie!! Thanks for the review!! I would love to work with Charlie Wax.

-Alan
post #22 of 31 Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I had the same issue with my PJ. The only other time that has happened, is with the PS3 demo disk, and with downloaded trailers. It appears they are using area hidden by overscan on most HDTV's. I know I could adjust settings to get rid of it, but that would introduce artifacts as it wouldn't be one-to-one pixel mapping then.

Art
post #23 of 31 Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I had the same issue with my PJ. The only other time that has happened, is with the PS3 demo disk, and with downloaded trailers. It appears they are using area hidden by overscan on most HDTV's. I know I could adjust settings to get rid of it, but that would introduce artifacts as it wouldn't be one-to-one pixel mapping then.

Art

Glad to hear i'm not the only one with the line to the left problem, so it's not my copy after all but every copy out there.

Thanks guys
post #24 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I just rechecked my copy, reducing the raster size this time, and the line is there as well. The black velvet screen frame must have masked it before.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #25 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very much agree with your review Ralph!

This film had much, much more potential, and unfortunately it left us with half developed characters, a fairly linear plot, and lack of overall suspense. Never while watching this film did I feel very drawn in. It was a fun film to watch though. I just expected better.

Also, there have just been too many characters like Travolta’s.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Tough renegade cop/military/FBI… that doesn’t do anything by the books but always gets results. Allowed to do whatever he wants, with nothing to reign him in. Takes a rookie under the wing and shows him how "things really get done"

Jonathan Rhys Meyers did a good job, but didn’t stand out.

I did very much like the extras, with real retired intelligence operatives telling how things like this are truly done. They also explained how people like Travolta really do exist. (at least the role he played, not necessarily how he played it)

I did notice the current temperature and weather on the main menu which was pretty cool. (PS3) I think there has been another movie I watched recently with this feature, and I like it. I had no problems with a line on the side of the screen or lipsync issues. I get almost all of my Blu-rays as rentals from Blockbuster though.

PQ was very good. Clear picture with appropriate contrast and good black level. SQ was very good as well. Nice and dynamic, decent bottom end and clear dialogue.

Over all, it was a middle of the road suspense thriller. Good popcorn flick, but nothing more.

PQ 4.5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 2.5 out of 5

Regards,
Dan
post #26 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan View Post

Very much agree with your review Ralph!

This film had much, much more potential, and unfortunately it left us with half developed characters, a fairly linear plot, and lack of overall suspense. Never while watching this film did I feel very drawn in. It was a fun film to watch though. I just expected better.

Also, there have just been too many characters like Travolta's.

Spoiler  
Tough renegade cop/military/FBI that doesn't do anything by the books but always gets results. Allowed to do whatever he wants, with nothing to reign him in. Takes a rookie under the wing and shows him how "things really get done"

Jonathan Rhys Meyers did a good job, but didn't stand out.

I did very much like the extras, with real retired intelligence operatives telling how things like this are truly done. They also explained how people like Travolta really do exist. (at least the role he played, not necessarily how he played it)

I did notice the current temperature and weather on the main menu which was pretty cool. (PS3) I think there has been another movie I watched recently with this feature, and I like it. I had no problems with a line on the side of the screen or lipsync issues. I get almost all of my Blu-rays as rentals from Blockbuster though.

PQ was very good. Clear picture with appropriate contrast and good black level. SQ was very good as well. Nice and dynamic, decent bottom end and clear dialogue.

Over all, it was a middle of the road suspense thriller. Good popcorn flick, but nothing more.

PQ 4.5 out of 5, SQ 4.5 out of 5, Film 2.5 out of 5

Regards,
Dan

Greetings,

Thanks Dan!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #27 of 31 Old 06-16-2010, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I was pleasantly surprised with the show.

I asked the movie maven at blockbuster if it was just a mindless action movie and he replied that it was just that without the action.

Needless to say, I wasn't expecting much.

That is the best way to watch a movie, IMHO, with very low expectations.
post #28 of 31 Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
This movie really surprised me. I had next to no interest in seeing it right away, but it ended up being a LOT of fun! I thought some of the action sequences were pretty inventive and I really enjoyed Travolta in this one.

This one gets a thumbs up from the Summa!

post #29 of 31 Old 06-23-2010, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

This movie really surprised me. I had next to no interest in seeing it right away, but it ended up being a LOT of fun! I thought some of the action sequences were pretty inventive and I really enjoyed Travolta in this one.

This one gets a thumbs up from the Summa!

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it Summa and thanks for posting your impressions.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #30 of 31 Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Decent movie. Not original and easily figured out but the action and travolta make it worth a look see.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , From Paris With Love Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page