post #31 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

Are we confusing "political message" with facts? Like the FACT that there were no WMD's. Or the FACT that the intel was total horsepoo (i have a 5 year old, we use "poo" in our household)?

I think that is why Hurt Locker was so successful, it left any of the "politics" at the door and focused on the soldiers experiences.

Because if you try to go either way with the politics, you'll have fox news kool aid drinkers going against cnn hippies. and that of course makes for great fun and conversation but on avs we only care about pq and aq...right?

Actually, you are wrong. There were WMD found in Iraq: http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=36714

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

The thing is they were old. Also, Sadaam used chemical weapons on his own people in the 1980s and blamed Iran, although he did it himself (the chemical weapons came from the US at some level). Regardless, my issue with the screenplay is the writer wants people the think we intentionally went to war based upon lies, which isn't true IMO. We had bad intelligence because we weren't relying on people resources and only satellite images and "technological" spying, which we've discovered isn't the best way to gather intelligence.

Regardless, we have differing opinions on this and this is no place for a political discussion unless we want to talk about religion and abortion, then at least we have all bases covered

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Fantastic film thoroughly enjoyed it. Matt Damon fantastic actor.

Frank

post #33 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Getting ready to throw this one on now
post #34 of 53 Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow great action packed movie , it was a little difficult not getting emotional about the politics involved but putting that aside when I could I really enjoyed this one . Great audio and PQ was the frosting on the cake !
post #35 of 53 Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 AM

Liked: 10
I found the story to be a little pedestrian, and the characterization pretty thin (we know almost NOTHING about Damon's character), but the audio on this was reference... I thourght I was in a city being attacked at the beginning - prolific bass and surrounds throughout.

I don't think I would be interested in sitting through the story again, but I could see myself buying this as a demo.
post #36 of 53 Old 06-27-2010, 07:23 AM

I thought the movie had some good scenes of the city, and to ppl who have never been to Iraq that was the only reason I recommended it. All my current and former .mil buddies (myself included) couldn't stand the film. Mostly for the politics and the "evil" SF guys it depicted.
post #37 of 53 Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
We couldn't get past the first few minutes of the movie with Matt Daaaymon (World Polilce reference...) running around crying "where are the WMDs? Why can't we find any WMDs?"

Had to watch something else.
post #38 of 53 Old 06-30-2010, 11:45 PM

Georgeb, I have a PS3 slim and have problems with this movie (video stutters/freezes).

I also have a BD-35, but I haven't tried it yet on the Panny.
post #39 of 53 Old 07-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius1138 View Post

Georgeb, I have a PS3 slim and have problems with this movie (video stutters/freezes).

Thanks for the reply. It seems the BD35 is ok, just a very slow loader if connected to the internet. Mine isn't, so I think I'll go ahead and buy the disk.
post #40 of 53 Old 07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I enjoyed the film purely for the location shooting, and the action set-pieces. Even though I lean slightly left in my political views, I felt it was too heavy handed in its message. The black levels were extremely elevated during some low light level shots, as Ralph pointed out, but it did take me out of the film because they looked so bad.

It was great that most of the soldiers were actual military, and not trained actors. However, Matt Damon's characters freedom of movement, and actions, didn't seem believable to me.

Art
post #41 of 53 Old 07-04-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius1138 View Post

I just rented it and had problems on the PS3 slim, as well. Not sure what the deal is. About every 60 seconds is stutters. I have the latest PS3 firmware update.

When I look at this disc it is almost clear. I can see right through it. Seems like they tried to make it as cheap as possible.
post #42 of 53 Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Had No problems playing it on my Pioneer 320 or Sony 550 .
post #43 of 53 Old 07-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Played fine on my Panasonic BD35 last night. Loading on the BD35 didn't take longer than any other BD Java loaded discs. Seemed like about 60 to 70 seconds.
post #44 of 53 Old 07-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the review, my wife and I are going to check this out tonight
post #45 of 53 Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Rented it...

Found the political slant (left) so far out there, that it ruined the movie for me. Too much politics. This is a story that when done felt like an MSNBC production... the George Bush snippets and pan of the oil fields at the end was just too much...

We all know the facts of WMDs and how they were never found but to suggest complete conspiracy on the part of the USA and be so blatant with the politics of it all was something Hollywood should just stay away from. Whether you're left or right, politics this blatant should be left out of the movies.

Immediately after the last scene, when the 'directed by Paul Greengrass' credit came up, got me laughing... 'Green Grass'. Well, we know his party affiliation!

The course PQ was a bit too gritty in my opinion... Particularly the night scenes... I felt I was seeing them with night vision. Sound was very good.

Nice review.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #46 of 53 Old 07-09-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fantastic review Ralph. You put a good amount of work into this one. (not that you don’t for the others ) Much appreciated.

This film was a fun ride. Political agenda aside, I thought it was very well done. Damon was fantastic, and fit into his role extremely well. I went into this one not caring if it was preachy or had an agenda, because we’ve heard it all before regarding the war. This is nothing new, so I just took it for what it was, and enjoyed the fast paced, intense ride.

At times, the story became confusing with all the names being tossed around. I kept asking, now who is that they are talking about? …and the action is so fast that you don’t have much time to think about it before you are into another intense moment. Not a big deal overall, as much of it is obvious as the story progresses.

You know this film has a decent sized budget when you see all of the military vehicles, and helicopters being used. Some of the shots with the helicopters over Bagdad and landing were very impressive.

Some have commented on the gritty nature of some scenes, but I found this refreshing, and realistic. At least it wasn’t DNR’d out of the film. I think the grain was in the film itself due to the low light, something that naturally happens in those conditions. Flesh tones were fantastic and resolution and contrast in daylight scenes were spot on. There were some awfully good reference quality outdoor shots of Bagdad.

The sound was very impressive, clear and dynamic. Dialogue was extremely clear, which was needed with all of the other sounds coming from all channels. Top notches from me here.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 5 out of 5, Film 4 out of 5.

Dan
post #47 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM
ddi

I also had problems playing this on my PS3. It played fine on my Pansonic DMP-BD30. I contacted both Universal and Sony; one of them [I forget which and the reply is at home] said they tried it on a PS3 and it worked fine for them.
post #48 of 53 Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddi View Post

I also had problems playing this on my PS3. It played fine on my Pansonic DMP-BD30. I contacted both Universal and Sony; one of them [I forget which and the reply is at home] said they tried it on a PS3 and it worked fine for them.

Greetings,

I tried it on my PS3 and didn't note any issues with playback.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #49 of 53 Old 07-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Problems on my PS3 slim too. My blockbuster disc seemed a bit weathered though.
post #50 of 53 Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM

The problem with the PS3 is related to BD live. Take off your router or disconnect from the internet to watch the film and you shouldn't have any problems. I kept getting stuck on the main menu and wasn't able to select or play or anything. Hope this helps. This is a great film btw
post #51 of 53 Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

My comment is related to the grainy quality of some of the night scenes in the Green Zone. We only recently got a Blu-ray player and an HDTV and I'm still in the process of adjusting the HDTV video settings so I admit to being a "newbie". When I watched the grainy scenes I suspected that there was a problem with the disc, the blu-ray player or the TV. With every cut, the level of grain would change from mildly distracting to awful. I lost track of what was happening in the movie as I was adjusting settings trying to see if I had the TV set up wrong. Apparently this grain in the film is intended. I did not find it added any sense of realism and only found it to be a huge distraction. The director can use this as part of his artistic arsenal and many viewers may not be bothered by it or feel it adds something to the movie but it's not for me. All I saw was a lousy video image.
post #52 of 53 Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The level of grain wasn't overly excessive IMO. Yes, it was there, but not severe. What you are describing is a common artifact of having your sharpness setting too high. It will greatly highlight any grain, and in many cases add grain that isn't there.

Dan
post #53 of 53 Old 08-20-2010, 12:17 PM

Liked: 11
for me: solid entertainment.... yea, it was a touch preachy and a bit thin on the plot, but the best thing about the movie was the director making things seem very realistic. The sets were fantastic, with the damaged buildings and the dirty feel. The looting was depicted with some attention to detail with the looters grabbing everything, even electrical wires!
There's only so much you can do with a thin plot, but they managed to make the film as dramatic as the script allowed.

decent rental in the end....

oh, played fine on ps3 phat.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Green Zone Limited Edition Steelbook Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page