Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
attachment.php?attachmentid=177785&d=1276401261
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Overture Films- 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Horror/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English LPCM 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Timothy Olyphant, Joe Anderson, Radha Mitchell, Danielle Panabaker
Directed by: Breck Eisner
Music by: Mark Isham
Written by: Scott Kosar and Ray Wright
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 29, 2010

"Fear Thy Neighbor."

Film Synopsis:

In this terrifying glimpse into the “American Dream” gone wrong, an unexplainable phenomenon has taken over the citizens of Ogden Marsh. One by one the townsfolk are falling victim to an unknown toxin and are turning sadistically violent.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178300&d=1276872351Somehow 'The Crazies' pulled off being enjoyable while missing out on many opportunities of social commentary, possible scares and character development. I have seen George Romero's 1973 'The Crazies' that this is based on. I would dare call this a 'reinvention' and say that it is possibly better than the original. This remake keeps a lot of the Romero's ideas, but takes a more horror approach and really de-humanizes the so called 'bad guys'-- the government. Besides being a remake, 'The Crazies' treads on familiar territory (think Quarantine, REC, 28 Days Later...) when a small town is subject to an outbreak of a government made virus, codename: Trixie.

The Trixie virus is government created chemical warfare that is in-transit to be stored away for safe keeping. It’s as safe as the plane it is on which crashes into the water supply of the small farming community of Ogden Marsh. Once contracted, the virus drives the victim crazy, and turns them into insane killers. 'The Crazies' stars Timothy Olyphant as Sheriff Dutton and a personal favorite of mine, Radha Mitchell as his pregnant wife, Judy. Our protagonists are (of course) in question of having the virus, and last long enough to put up a fight and give us a human connection to follow through the town’s infection and quarantine. We are with them through one long evening as they try to escape the town and the army. While I did enjoyed the double threat of the killer infected people and having to hide from the Hazmat suit wearing army, I found the constant running be get bit long winded at times. Although they did a decent job getting us to care about the Dutton's, I really felt no emotional connection to the townsfolk and what they were going through. As these people were turning 'Crazy' from the virus and being taken into concentration like camps, all I cared about was seeing a kill or finding out scientific answers about the situation. I didn't feel outrage as the creators of the virus were exterminating people they accidentally infected. That is the major weakness to the film...it missed out on the big opportunity for getting the viewer to care about this town and its people. One quick opening day baseball scene is what they used as an anchor to involve us with the town as a whole, and frankly it was the best part of the movie.

Director Breck Eisner (Sahara) gave the film a relentless pace and a nice visual style. He was in control here and did a great job delivering the horror, and horror is where things went right. It had spooks, jumps, blood, zombie-esque killers, gunfire, explosions...and it did them all very well. Well enough that its lack of development of the townsfolk, and a few silly plot issues were forgiven and made it easy to sit back and enjoy the ride....which is exactly what I did. Out of all the remakes that have been plaguing the creativity of Hollywood's horror scene of late, 'The Crazies' is the one I have enjoyed most.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for bloody violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 94

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373696

The Crazies comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p VC1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27.4 Mbps and LPCM 5.1 sound that has an constant bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

The Crazies is an impressive Blu-ray release from Anchor Bay Entertainment. It looks and sounds superb. The VC1 2.35:1 video looks like a film, with a slight bit of visible grain. Couple that with being sharp and detailed and we have a winner. The films colors are natural, with a slight push to over-saturation that gives it a nice pop. Flesh-tones looked right on the money, making this a very strong HD presentation. Material of this nature needs strong black levels and shadow detail to be effective and I am glad to say The Crazies will not let you down. The Lossless PCM 5.1 audio track is haunting and dynamic. It handles sonic shifts of quiet and atmospheric to loud and in your face without a blink of effort. The use of surrounds and the thump of the low end were perfect additives enhancing the scares and tension. I had no issues making out dialogue and the mix seemed spot-on. I really had fun watching this one loud.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Breck Eisner

• (HD) Behind The Scenes with Director Breck Eisner

• (HD) Paranormal Pandemics

• (HD) The George A. Romero Template

• (HD) Make-up Mastermind: Rob Hall in Action

• (HD) The Crazies Motion Comic

• (HD) Visual Effects in Motion

• (HD) 3 Trailers, Teaser Trailer and 10 TV Spots

• (HD) Trailers- Brooklyn's Finest, Spartacus: Blood and Sand , Pandorum, Law Abiding Citizen, Ultimate Fighting Championship and The Best of Bluray

• Easter Egg (which I didn't find)

• Storyboards: Building a scene (DVD-ROM)

• Screenplay (DVD-ROM)

• Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=177786&d=1276401313

Final Thoughts:

If you are forgiving of some silly plot holes and looking for a fun and scary ride 'The Crazies' is for you. Unfortunately it lost the anti-establishment message of the original, which would have made it a bit more personal and powerful. A little more detail on developing a connection between the viewer and the town would have went a long way and helped 'The Crazies' be more than just a good flick. A nice set of extras and a great A/V presentation add to the value of Anchor Bay's Blu-ray release. I say its a worthy purchase for fans of the film and genre. Enjoy.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Greetings,

Thanks Lee. Doesn't look like one that I will rush out to get but I will check it out if the right opportunity presents itself.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Lee...cool. I had been looking forward to a BD review od this since I first saw it advertised as hitting the theaters. Definitely going to pick it up, now.

Thanks!

Music so high you can't get over it....music so low you can't get under it!
post #4 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Although I've always found the original film somewhat tedious, I'm still gonna check this one out. Not surprised that the anti-establishment aspect was left out, but then the Romero film was part of its more enlightened time. Today's audiences don't want to be reminded...they just want escapism. Anyway, the presentation sounds great and I'll look forward to seeing it.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM

Liked: 31
Good job Lee ....

I already figured this into my collection...along with the Lightning Thief....same day release , there goes 40-45 bucks...lol
post #6 of 33 Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Liked: 14
Thanks Lee...just moved that in to the "buy pile" from the "rental pile" based on what you said.

Datacide

*Don't shop at The Brick...ever!*
post #7 of 33 Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Liked: 10
Cool, I've been waiting for this one to come out for a while now. I've always had a thing for zombie movies so this one was high on my list. Even if it is only as a rental.
Thanks for the review!
post #8 of 33 Old 06-20-2010, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Both you and Ralph are getting to the new titles really quickly. Its appreciated. I have been looking forward to this one. I watched the 1970's version and wasn't impressed with the film. I hope this one is better.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-20-2010, 09:46 AM

Loved this movie in the theater. It was a good story/movie that just happened to have zombies in it. Not your average shotgun shooting zombie movie.

post #10 of 33 Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this was a great suspense flick even though the premise wasn't anything new. The end blew () me away after seeing what happened. Talk about clearing. Definitely be collecting this one.

Cheers
post #11 of 33 Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Not really sure why, but I can't WAIT to see this film. I usually don't have much interest in this genre, but Zombieland sort of sparked something in me. The preview for this one is awesome....can't wait to check it out!
post #12 of 33 Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Must see zombies...no popcorn...need...BRAINS!!!!!!! BRAINS!!!!

Ok, so somewhere in the Blockbuster queue.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Lee, thanks for your review. I saw this in the theater so I'm not sure I agree that this movie doesn't have an anti-establishment vibe. Perhaps not the same one as in the original but definitely one where The Man is putting everyone in harm's way. It's that plus your basic survival movie. I thought Timothy O. was great as were all the supporting actors.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #14 of 33 Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Thought this was a great suspense flick even though the premise wasn't anything new. The end blew () me away after seeing what happened. Talk about clearing. Definitely be collecting this one.

Cheers

Thanks for the spoiler...
post #15 of 33 Old 06-24-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Thanks for the spoiler...

That wasn't much of a spoiler, as related to the film, as you would think. I read his comment before watching it, and it didn't ruin anything in the least.

But I do get your point.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #16 of 33 Old 06-24-2010, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Lee, thanks for your review. I saw this in the theater so I'm not sure I agree that this movie doesn't have an anti-establishment vibe. Perhaps not the same one as in the original but definitely one where The Man is putting everyone in harm's way. It's that plus your basic survival movie. I thought Timothy O. was great as were all the supporting actors.

The people never seemed to really complain or talk about the situation beyond if they were infected of if they were OK...seemed a bit shallow for such a deep subject.
post #17 of 33 Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

The people never seemed to really complain or talk about the situation beyond if they were infected of if they were OK...seemed a bit shallow for such a deep subject.

Lee, in that regard you're right. But in this version the viewer is responsible for assimilating everything that takes place in the movie and coming to their own conclusion about what the message is...or if there is a message. In either case it's just a well-done suspense action flick. At least that's my take on this film.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #18 of 33 Old 06-27-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I was really impressed by this film as I watched it last night. It came as a bit as a shock to me because most of these horror remakes are absolutely terrible films, but this film I thoroughly enjoyed. I definitely have to agree with Lee here with the audio as it was definitely reference quality and the video was no slouch either. Theres something about how good sound is in horror movies that helps them out and I think the audio on The Crazies did just that.
post #19 of 33 Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Somehow it was ok when you saw that it was Aaron Pierce though

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #20 of 33 Old 06-29-2010, 05:12 AM

Saw this last night, surprised how good it was. Great audio too, first movie in a while I had to turn down my sub didn't want to piss off the neighbors. Great low end sound which didn't always come from expected sources (explosions, gunshots).

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #21 of 33 Old 06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Snagged a BD rental this morning.. looking forward to a good ride based on your review.. thanks

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #22 of 33 Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexdown View Post

Cool, I've been waiting for this one to come out for a while now. I've always had a thing for zombie movies so this one was high on my list. Even if it is only as a rental.
Thanks for the review!

Believe it or not, this movie is a lot less about zombies than it is about the main characters avoiding the people that are trying to contain them, believing that they're infected.

It's a very good remake though.
post #23 of 33 Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Okay, that was worth the wait for sure! I almost missed the lossless PCM track cause I didn't see the buzz words "dolby" or "DTS", but thankfully I caught it....and WOW, did this film sound great on the Maggies! In the beginning of the film when that lady goes out to the barn to see what her husbands doing, and that gigantic tractor is running? holy crap, that sounded so intense and realistic that it had a visceral impact on me. Vocals were crystal clear, sound effects were effective but not over the top, acting was solid (I always mix up Josh Duhmel and Tim Olyphant), and the story held me from start to finish.

Thumbs up!
post #24 of 33 Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Great review! I like this part - "I really had fun watching this one loud" Sounds like a funner movie than I thought it would be. Looking forward to it.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #25 of 33 Old 07-01-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I expected to be disappointed on this as it looked like SOS virus makes zombies out of a town but the story kept us going well enough that we didn't fall asleep even though many of the scenes were predictable.
post #26 of 33 Old 07-06-2010, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

As a huge fan of the genre I was slightly dissapointed by this. Maybe i have seen to many movies like this but there werent any real suprises for me. My 18 year daughter loved it but for me it was just Meh. I do agree with the vitals on the technical side of the film however.
post #27 of 33 Old 07-06-2010, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thought this should have dont much better in the theatre then it did. Either way decent flick.
post #28 of 33 Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Saw this last night and it was awesome!

Excellent sound, especially on the low end. Definitely a great bass film. Good story and great acting all around. Ending blew me away...

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #29 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 01:51 PM

I bought it first day. Wasn't disappointed liked it much better than the original.
post #30 of 33 Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched this at reference -5 last night. The LFE in the combine tractor scene was INTENSE! Killer sound overall.

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Crazies Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page