Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=179122&d=1277662016
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 2010 - Overture Films
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 132 minutes
Genre: Drama/Crime

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English PCM 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, Richard Gere, Wesley Snipes
Directed by: Antoine Fuqua
Music by: Marcelo Zavros
Written by: Michael C. Martin
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 6, 2010

"This is War. This is Brooklyn."

Film Synopsis:

Experience the volatile and deadly world of one of New York’s most dangerous precincts through the eyes of the men and women pledged to protect and serve. In this film, three conflicted New York City police officers are forever transformed by their involvement in a massive drug operation. With personal and work pressures bearing down on them, each man finds himself spiraling toward the same fatal crime scene and a shattering collision with destiny in this gripping crime drama from acclaimed director Antoine Fuqua.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=179124&d=1277662096

I heard very little about 'Brooklyn's Finest' then it just seemed to fade away quickly; I was expecting the worst. Thankfully I was very surprised and really enjoyed it. After looking at the cast, artwork and tag-line, I was expecting a gritty drug-war action piece. What it delivered was a dark character study on three officers who are all at their breaking point.

Richard Gere plays Eddie, a cop who is numb from years on the force. He has one week until retirement and a pension and is playing it safe like he always has. He is laughed at by fellow officers, has a weak record and does just enough to get by. Gere was rock solid and really sold this character. Don Cheadle was pitch perfect as Tango, an undercover officer posing as a drug dealer who's lines are starting to blur. When the crime boss Caz (Wesley Snipes), that he has been covering for gets out of prison, Tango is asked to "betray" him. He is at a crossroads between his job as an officer and a friend, as Caz has saved his life before. Then there is Ethan Hawke as Sal, a rough around the edges narcotics officer who finds there isn't anything he wont do to get a better life for his pregnant wife and children. All three story arcs crescendo to a climactic ending at the BK housing Project in Brooklyn.

Director Antione Fuga (Training Day) kept the pacing of this 2 hour and 10 minute movie flowing so well that it felt much shorter. The story unfolded in a way that made me go from disliking these men to making me feel for and hurt with their characters. What really sold me was the films ability to challenge my morals and ethics. Is it OK to steal from the bad guys to provide for your family in desperation? What should the undercover officer do when a real friendship develops with one of his criminal friends? The movie is about finding the line, and when and if it is it OK to cross it. I suggest watching to find out for yourself.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for bloody violence throughout, strong sexuality, nudity, drug content and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

'Brooklyn's Finest' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and PCM 5.1 sound that has an constant bitrate of 6.91 mbps.

'Brooklyn's Finest' was almost one of the finest looking films I have seen on Blu-ray. Unfortunately a few roadblocks hurt its overall scoring. It went from super sharp and popping off the screen (look at how Will Patton's character is almost three dimensional in his first meeting with Don Cheadle) to a semi-soft look with a small loss of definition. Black levels seemed to be a wee bit inconstant as well. Some scenes had great shadow detail and a few other times seemed to exhibit some black crush. The colors were gritty and real, if slightly under saturated-- making it look like the story it was telling. It was a top-notch video presentation that you wont be disappointed with. The audio mix suited the film very well. At times it was open airy, utilizing the surrounds in an atmospherically understated real-world way. Other times the surrounds were gone, adding a bit of claustrophobia and loneliness to what these men were going through. There was no guttural reaching moments of LFE, nor were there many moments to really utilize it; but when some hip-hop or gunfire came into the mix, the dynamics of 'Brooklyn's Finest' sound design really shined.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Director Antione Fugua

• (HD) Chaos and Conflict: The Life of a New Your Cop

• (HD) Boyz N The Real Hood

• (HD) An Eye for Detail: Director Featurette

• (HD) From the MTA to the WGA: Writer Featurette

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• Digital Copy
attachment.php?attachmentid=179125&d=1277662096

Final Thoughts:

In a nutshell, I suggest this film as well as this Blu-ray presentation. Quality audio, video, acting, directing and screen-writing....what else can you ask for? Just don't expect and action flick, and be ready for a gritty introspective tale of morality and desperation set in one of the toughest precincts in the world. This release has a decent bit of extra features that were all enjoyable. I gave Director Antione Fugua's commentary a spin and found it quite informative but at times boring. I did enjoy all the featurettes, though. 'Brooklyn's Finest' is a rental definitely, and an easy 'collect' if you have seen it and dug it.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Greetings,

Great stuff Lee.

When time permits I am going to sit down and watch this one. Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #3 of 43 Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Having grown up in the 70s, this sounds like a movie right up mu allet and welcome change from most the CGI crapfests and kiddie flicks that seem to fill up the multiplexes these days. And...it's not stripped of extras, as Fox and Waners titles are. Is Fuqua the new Sidney Lumet? Probably not, but I do appreciate a movie with a story once in a while and will be checking it out next week. (Also nice to see Snipes back in a major theatrically-released film.)
post #4 of 43 Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hi Lee.

Is the digital copy iTunes compatible like the one Anchor Bay included with The Crazies? Or is it Windows only, like all of the studios previous releases?

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #5 of 43 Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Liked: 31
Good Job Lee....and you got a good one too .. "a non turd" , lol .

I bet when you opened the pkg...you thought it came by accident or it was from Net Flix ...c'mon tell the truth.

This and because of you...will be in my collection.

Thanks again !
post #6 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Varnadore View Post

Hi Lee.

Is the digital copy iTunes compatible like the one Anchor Bay included with The Crazies? Or is it Windows only, like all of the studios previous releases?

Greetings,

Chad, the Digital Copy IS iTunes compatible..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks , Lee. This will be a must own for me. I love police dramas and action is always secondary to character for me.
post #8 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Chad, the Digital Copy IS iTunes compatible..

Regards,

Thanks Ralph.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback

post #9 of 43 Old 07-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This movie is horrible. It's a disgrace that people peddle garbage like this. Which is basically a movie from a director whose format is tired and very clearly has no leading skills based on the fact that good actors are continuously over acting through out the movie. The movie seems to take a very obviously open stance on hatred for cops and very aggressively says that they're all racist. This movie shouldnt've been released in theaters it's quality resembles some of the better made for video releases. The reason it died out after the first week was because word of mouth spread how truly terrible the movie is. I don't understand how AVS expects me to respect their movie rating system when they have reviewers who give this utter filth a 4 star rating in the film department.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #10 of 43 Old 07-03-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

I don't understand how AVS expects me to respect their movie rating system when they have reviewers who give this utter filth a 4 star rating in the film department.

Then dont read their reviews

Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Sony BDP-S550, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Toshiba HD-XA2, Toshiba HD-A35
post #11 of 43 Old 07-03-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Reviews are always opinions. Take them as such.

Reviewing works of art takes opinion to a different level, as tastes come into play in forming a review.

I remember when the movie "The Engligh Patient" won the Best Picture Oscar. I could not sit through it, nor could my wife and daughters. Boring, with a capital B.

I am a big fan of "A Clockwork Orange" which also won a Best Picture Oscar. Most people I know couldn't stand, or understand the movie.

You can take reviews for what they provide about pq & aq, but form your own opinions. Some of the blu rays that get rave reviews here in these areas seem pretty average to me, especially when the film uses some artsy approach - like desaturated colors - which I find very distracting.

In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters. If you dig a flick, great. If not, the next guy might.
post #12 of 43 Old 07-03-2010, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This movie is horrible. It's a disgrace that people peddle garbage like this. Which is basically a movie from a director whose format is tired and very clearly has no leading skills based on the fact that good actors are continuously over acting through out the movie. The movie seems to take a very obviously open stance on hatred for cops and very aggressively says that they're all racist. This movie shouldnt've been released in theaters it's quality resembles some of the better made for video releases. The reason it died out after the first week was because word of mouth spread how truly terrible the movie is. I don't understand how AVS expects me to respect their movie rating system when they have reviewers who give this utter filth a 4 star rating in the film department.

i guess the mona lisa was not painted to your liking

Regency Park Family Theater

post #13 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 06:15 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

then dont read their reviews

+1

Frank

post #14 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by osofast240sx View Post

i guess the mona lisa was not painted to your liking

He thought she looked utterly overweight and seemed to be have the evil satanic smirk of an overacting art subject.

OK on a serious note...

--Sometimes (almost always!) there will be a difference of opinion on art and films. Please have the respect for the time Ralph and I put in to these reviews to be civil about any disagreements between your opinion and ours. Semp1, I saw the remark you made in the Avatar thread bashing what we do as well. If you don't like or agree, please don't read or comment--unless you can do it in a productive manner.

Lee

post #15 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I thought this was an excellent movie. Review is spot on with what my opinions are too. Very rarely do I read a review from Ralph or Lee that I disagree with in all 3 phases--video, audio, and film itself. If anything, I may have given the video an 86, but hey, thats getting picky. There were times where I thought the video was at reference quality though, particularly during shots outside of buildings. You could really see the brick work on the housing project and the fine detail (rust and other debris) outside of that restaurant where Tango met up with his boss (think it was a restaurant).

Nice job on the review Lee.
post #16 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

He thought she looked utterly overweight and seemed to be have the evil satanic smirk of an overacting art subject.

OK on a serious note...

--Sometimes (almost always!) there will be a difference of opinion on art and films. Please have the respect for the time Ralph and I put in to these reviews to be civil about any disagreements between your opinion and ours. Semp1, I saw the remark you made in the Avatar thread bashing what we do as well. If you don't like or agree, please don't read or comment--unless you can do it in a productive manner.

Greetings,

Thanks Lee but don't waste your time. He has only posted in three threads in the Blu-ray review forum and all three have the same tone. In my opinion he has an agenda and responding to him only furthers that.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 43 Old 07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Maybe he's upset because he wasn't picked as a reviewer.

Frank

post #18 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I always use my opinion as the final measure of a movie, but Ralph and Lee's reviews are so close to mine, I won't hesitate to view any of their recommendations and visit the bad ones just to see if we're still on the same page..Don McKay..for example. So back on topic..I've got this one comin' on Blu and I'm anxious to check it out, thanks to Lee's review.
post #19 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 05:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

I always use my opinion as the final measure of a movie, but Ralph and Lee's reviews are so close to mine....

I couldn't have said it better. After spending years trying to find "reviewers" that matched my tastes, I finally found them here. While I care about the Blu-ray critique's, I read the reviews mainly for the take on the movie itself.

I rarely post myself, but that recent rant got me fired up. I'm an avid reader of AVS and very much appreciate the time and effort people put into making the forum what it is.

Keep up the good work - Ralph and Lee!
post #20 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

I couldn't have said it better. After spending years trying to find "reviewers" that matched my tastes, I finally found them here. While I care about the Blu-ray critique's, I read the reviews mainly for the take on the movie itself.

I rarely post myself, but that recent rant got me fired up. I'm an avid reader of AVSforum and very much appreciate the time and effort people put into making the forum what it is.

Keep up the good work - Ralph and Lee!

Greetings,

I am sure that I speak for Lee as well when I say thanks for ths support guys..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #21 of 43 Old 07-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Liked: 31
Got mine $16.99
post #22 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I rushed to get this movie last night and was quite disapointed. This type of plot in which multiple unrelated-characters intersect at some point in life is very tricky to carry out. To me, it would take 1/2 a movie time to draw the audience into the character. Yet, this type of plot requires constant switching between characters, making the story line very choppy. Then at the end, the only thing that tied all the characters together is the "location" of the crime scene. No common target, no common principal, no common interest. Basically, it is a 3 seperate short movies cascaded together.

Through out the entire movie, I was hoping for something intersting would happen among the 3 characters. Unfortunately, I didn't find it. At the end of the movie, my wife and I looked at each other thinking outloudL "THAT'S IT?"

BTW, thanks for the review.
post #23 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
..some sites reporting audio problem with this disc...quote....
...The big flaw in the mix, which is an odd one, is how the surround channels seem to have incorrect directional qualities. For example, there's an early scene where Don Cheadle enters an drug den apartment. At first, the soundtrack shines, discretely locating the various conversations simultaneously taking place. However, as Cheadle moves into the environment, and no matter the camera angle, the sound levels of these conversations remain at a high volume and located in one channel (in this case, the front right) despite the fact they should have naturally transitioned to another channel or become softer...
post #24 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings,

Great stuff Lee.

When time permits I am going to sit down and watch this one. Thanks.

Regards,

....please check for possible audio problem as detailed above....cheers...
post #25 of 43 Old 07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

....please check for possible audio problem as detailed above....cheers...

Greetings,

I will take a look and post back..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #26 of 43 Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

After inspecting that scene and flipping through I don't think its an error worth calling it a 'flawed audio track'. . The way it seemed during the first scene in the drug den was that it was just finishing off the line of dialogue and not panning, which was a bit weird but not terrible...it might have been used to almost add to Cheadle's characters obvious disconnect at that moment.

It very well might be an 'error' or a choice on the film(mixer)maker's part. All of the supposed overly loud effect levels didn't stick out like a sore thumb upon my viewing and I don't feel its worth making an issue over. It still is a very good sounding track. Lets see what Ralph notices!

PS The bartender at dinner last night (yep I had dinner at the bar said this movie "sucked". Its funny how its a love/hate type of film!

Lee

post #27 of 43 Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Greetings,

I will take a look and post back..

Regards,

Thanks Ralph- just want to find out as I'd like to add this to my collection as I really enjoyed it at the cinema.
post #28 of 43 Old 07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

After inspecting that scene and flipping through I don't think its an error worth calling it a 'flawed audio track'. . The way it seemed during the first scene in the drug den was that it was just finishing off the line of dialogue and not panning, which was a bit weird but not terrible...it might have been used to almost add to Cheadle's characters obvious disconnect at that moment.

It very well might be an 'error' or a choice on the film(mixer)maker's part. All of the supposed overly loud effect levels didn't stick out like a sore thumb upon my viewing and I don't feel its worth making an issue over. It still is a very good sounding track. Lets see what Ralph notices!

PS The bartender at dinner last night (yep I had dinner at the bar said this movie "sucked". Its funny how its a love/hate type of film!

Thanks for the info- as long as its not a disc error then I'll take the plunge and buy this- great film.
post #29 of 43 Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsinnott View Post

Thanks for the info- as long as its not a disc error then I'll take the plunge and buy this- great film.

It is a bit awkward once pointed out but I don't think it will detract from the film as it didn't for me.

I just noticed another reputable review give is a decent score and didn't note the issue either.

Lee

post #30 of 43 Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It is a bit awkward once pointed out but I don't think it will detract from the film as it didn't for me.

I just noticed another reputable review give is a decent score and didn't note the issue either.

Cheers mate- doesn't sound like a major problem then...just placed an order for it online.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Brooklyns Finest Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Brooklyns by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page