Studio and Year: Columbia Pictures - 2010
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 110 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Jennifer Aniston, Gerard Butler, Christine Baranski, Jason Sudekidis, Adam Rose, Peter Greene, Jeff Garlin
Directed by: Andy Tennant
Music by: George Fenton
Written by: Sarah Thorpe
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 13, 2010

"It’s a job. It isn’t personal. Well, maybe a little…"

Film Synopsis:

Milo Boyd (Gerard Butler), a down-on-his-luck bounty hunter, gets his dream job when he is assigned to track down his bail-jumping ex-wife, reporter Nicole Hurly (Jennifer Aniston). He thinks all that's ahead is an easy payday, but when Nicole gives him the slip so she can chase a lead on a murder cover-up, Milo realizes that nothing ever goes simply with him and Nicole. The exes continually one-up each other – until they find themselves on the run for their lives. They thought their promise to love, honor and obey was tough – staying alive is going to be a whole lot tougher.

My Take:

I’ll forego my usual breakdown of the plot as the one above spells it out and if you have seen the trailer for The Bounty Hunter you have a pretty good idea of what is in store. This screenplay attempts to be witty in a “War of the Roses” meets “Midnight Run” way that fails miserably. There is no spark between the co-stars and the storyline spirals into an unimaginative mix of action, romance and comedy that provides anemic levels of entertainment. The brief moments of action are boring, the romance feels forced, and the laughs are predicated on having consumed mass quantities of alcohol (in addition to this being the very first comedy you have seen). The plot is thin with underdeveloped characters/relationships and poorly conceived situations that never allow the audience to care about them or connect with the story. I did get a kick out of Gerard Butler and Jennifer Aniston during their production interviews as they purport to sound enthused as they describe the first time they read the script. Neither sounds very convincing but I do understand they had to try. I like Jennifer Aniston and appreciated her excellent comedic timing which is probably the only saving grace here. Gerard Butler is simply not a funnyman or a romantic lead in my opinion. The addition of Christine Baranski and SNL’s Jason Sudekidis is pure window dressing and a waste as their underused/minimal characters added little value. When it was finally over (and it ran long at 110 minutes) I couldn’t help but think that with more effort this could have been a more enjoyable film.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content including suggestive comments, language, and some violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The Bounty Hunter comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although I suspect this is related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast was dynamic without being overpowering and blacks were respectable in depth with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent. The lossless soundtrack competently delivered the elements present in the recording. Dialogue was well intonated with crystal clarity and good room penetration. The presentation offered an open soundstage across the front with definitive channel separation and good dynamic range. Surround use was limited to spatial cues and occasional panning effects that enhanced dimension. This was noticeable during the chase sequences on the highway and golf club as the music and effects created a fair sense of envelopment in the rear of the room. There weren’t any sub bass frequencies contained in the mix however the subwoofer was used to provide low bass emphasis that extended the low range content associated with the soundtrack’s elements.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony’s Movie IQ feature which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie.

• (HD) The making of Bounty Hunter – 17 minute featurette

• (HD) Stops along the road: Hunting locations – 11 minute production featurette

• (HD) Rules for outwitting a Bounty Hunter – 1 minute feature with clips taken from the film

• (HD) Previews: Get low, Chloe, The backup plan, Nine, Extraordinary measures, Dean John, Not the Messiah (he’s a very naughty boy), The pillars of the earth

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc of Bounty Hunter
attachment.php?attachmentid=180281&d=1279048225

Final Thoughts:

The Bounty Hunter is a poorly conceived and forgettable film that fails to deliver the elements essential in a good romantic comedy. There is no spark between the co-stars and the lackluster and boring storyline spirals into an unimaginative mix of action, romance and comedy that has little entertainment value. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony in a technically strong offering that features excellent high definition video, clear lossless sound and an average bonus supplements package that includes Sony’s MovieIQ feature and a digital copy for those who want to take the film on the go. If you’re curious feel free to give it a rent otherwise wait for it to come to cable TV.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
The Bounty Hunter is a poorly conceived and forgettable film...

Thanks Ralph, I feared as much but I was hoping to be wrong since I like both stars. The rental arrived today so I'll give it a looksee later this week.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 07-13-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post

Thanks Ralph, I feared as much but I was hoping to be wrong since I like both stars. The rental arrived today so I'll give it a looksee later this week.

Greetings,

Going in with low expectations didn't help but if you like Jennifer/Gerard you may find it tolerable.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why do the worst movies always have such good PQ?

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Why do the worst movies always have such good PQ?

Because they have to keep you stimulated visually with the pretty people of course.

Thanks for the review Ralph.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

The only thing this movie has it going it Jen's T&A. Whole story is pretty boring and bland.

Skip.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Liked: 11
thanks for the review Ralph, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one that felt like that about this movie. I work for a 'struggling' national video store chain, so I saw this last week, and I couldn't even care enough about the characters to stay awake till the end.

i loved Gerard Butler in 'The Ugly Truth', so he CAN pull off a romantic-comedy leading role, but this script was horrible, the characters were so poorly matched you could NEVER believe they were ever a real, caring couple that loved one another enough to get married, and the whole movie (that I stayed awake for) failed to pull me into the plot enough to care WHAT happened to the characters.

Some of my co-workers said they loved this movie, but I just couldn't see why. It will probably do well in rental, because some people will watch anything just because it's new.

Chimpuat

Old 07-14-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpuat View Post

It will probably do well in rental, because some people will watch anything just because it's new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

The only thing this movie has it going it Jen's T&A.

I'm one of those people who will watch this as a rental mainly because it's new and has Jen's T&A in it.
If it had a good story that would be even better.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Definitely a fan of JA and her figure, and I often find Gerard Butler to be a "man's man" who is worth a few laughs. That being said, this movie is crap.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This movie was at times unbearable to watch. It wasn't nearly as bad as that rom com When In Rome, but Bounty Hunter was subpar and too long of a movie. A lot of filler material. It had its moments, but overall was not that good. Ralph's review is once again spot on.

I have read about 3 Blu-ray reviews for this film and I was surprised to see such a big gap in the overall video rating for this film. I was pleased with the results, however, and I also think that Ralph's video score is closer to any other reviewers scores (no offense to the other reviewers).
Old 07-17-2010, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

This movie was at times unbearable to watch. It wasn't nearly as bad as that rom com When In Rome, but Bounty Hunter was subpar and too long of a movie. A lot of filler material. It had its moments, but overall was not that good. Ralph's review is once again spot on.

I have read about 3 Blu-ray reviews for this film and I was surprised to see such a big gap in the overall video rating for this film. I was pleased with the results, however, and I also think that Ralph's video score is closer to any other reviewers scores (no offense to the other reviewers).

Greetings,

Thanks for posting your impressions Matt..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-17-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I picked this up as an in store exchange at BB. The only reason I selected it was that there was virtually nothing else in the new release section that I had any remote interest in seeing, and I thought my wife would enjoy a romantic comedy.

The movie stunk worse than 3 day old fish - in the trash - in the garage - during the summer heat.

Amazingly, my wife seemed attentive throughout the movie. She normally knits while watching a movie. When she puts down the knitting and just watches, it's apparent that she is interested in the film.

No knitting occurred after about the first ten minutes of the flick. At the end (thank God) she said: " That was pretty good. Thanks for renting it!"

I wondered if somehow our tv had somehow been converted to a 3D set showing a side by side image - with different movies showing on her side and mine.

Lesson learned. There is an audience for this type of dribble.

Even for dribble, this was far too long and boring.

Hard to imagine a worse waste of talent.

The fact that Jennifer Aniston passed on having kids with Brad Pitt to concentrate on her movie career makes this film even more of a mystery.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

I picked this up as an in store exchange at BB. The only reason I selected it was that there was virtually nothing else in the new release section that I had any remote interest in seeing, and I thought my wife would enjoy a romantic comedy.

The movie stunk worse than 3 day old fish - in the trash - in the garage - during the summer heat.

Amazingly, my wife seemed attentive throughout the movie. She normally knits while watching a movie. When she puts down the knitting and just watches, it's apparent that she is interested in the film.

No knitting occurred after about the first ten minutes of the flick. At the end (thank God) she said: " That was pretty good. Thanks for renting it!"

I wondered if somehow our tv had somehow been converted to a 3D set showing a side by side image - with different movies showing on her side and mine.

Lesson learned. There is an audience for this type of dribble.

Even for dribble, this was far too long and boring.

Hard to imagine a worse waste of talent.

The fact that Jennifer Aniston passed on having kids with Brad Pitt to concentrate on her movie career makes this film even more of a mystery.

Greetings,

Interesting aydu. Btw I think the word you meant to use is "drivel" rather than "dribble" although I could be wrong.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 07-17-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Interesting aydu. Btw I think the word you meant to use is "drivel" rather than "dribble" although I could be wrong.

Regards,

You're correct on the word choice, although I did find that every time I thought the film was going to work towards an ending, it managed to dribble on to another plot line.

On the positive side, I sure felt good when I slipped this one back in the return slot at BB.

As Mr. T would say: "I pity the fool that picks this one up off the rack".

Thanks for the warning, er, review.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 684
110 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Should have listened to you, Mr. Potts.

My wife actually enjoyed it, so the rental cost was not a total loss. When I started carping on about how bad it was, she reminded me of some others that were worse.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 AM

Points in the film I thought Butler's character was so much of a douche and just plain mean, I couldn't imagine why Aniston's character would ever go for him to begin with.

Also...how long does an over-turned vehicle have to sit on the side of a busy highway, after it crashed in a dramatic fashion(complete with gunfire) in front of dozens of eyewitnesses before the cops show up? Apparently longer than it takes for the heroes to rifle through the vehicle to find clues at their own leisurely pace.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 167
IMO, Dumb film of the year... Though not truly poor, poor Jen Aniston will never be more than a romantic comedy actress. No chemistry, not funny... just blah.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

IMO, Dumb film of the year... Though not truly poor, poor Jen Aniston will never be more than a romantic comedy actress. No chemistry, not funny... just blah.

It's sad since she tries SO hard .. she wants that Oscar bad, but I don't think it's in the cards ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's sad since she tries SO hard .. she wants that Oscar bad, but I don't think it's in the cards ..

True. She's never taken (been offered) a role (that I am aware) that would even be considered for an Oscar. Who could ever take her seriously? She has been hopelessly typecast, like the other 'Friends' alumni, into doing sappy romantic comedies. But then again, she tries to stretch her talents (hopelessly) into films like "Derailed" only to go back to her comfort zone of romantic-comedies (after realizing such films do not work for her). She makes a lot of dough, but clearly pegged as a B-grade actress.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

True. She's never taken (been offered) a role (that I am aware) that would even be considered for an Oscar. Who could ever take her seriously? She has been hopelessly typecast, like the other 'Friends' alumni, into doing sappy romantic comedies. But then again, she tries to stretch her talents (hopelessly) into films like "Derailed" only to go back to her comfort zone of romantic-comedies (after realizing such films do not work for her). She makes a lot of dough, but clearly pegged as a B-grade actress.

"Management" was a great example of a script I'm sure she felt would give her a bit more acting respect, and she did a pretty good job. A totally different look and feel to her normal material. Unfortunately for her, it was not her "Benjamin Button" ..

Uncle Willie

Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Im going in with very low expectations tonight watching this film.

Frank
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im going in with very low expectations tonight watching this film.

Low as they may be, they will likely go unmet lol
Old 08-05-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

thought it was horrible but my wife liked it to.. strange that.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I tend to like romantic comedies, so I might give this one a higher rating than most.

I can’t say this was a horrible film, but certainly below what is expected of a film that hits the major box offices. It was tolerable.

The story was very formulaic and the character depth shallow. There was almost a total lack of explanation of their divorce, and any comments that were made about it didn’t go very deep. If they would have delved deeper into their prior relationship, it could have helped the story out immensely, and leave you rooting for them more. There were still a few laughable parts, and if your significant other likes romantic comedies (like mine), this may be worth a view if other options are gone.

Jennifer Aniston looks fantastic, that’s for sure. Her acting was o.k.. The script just sucked.

Butler was iffy, and this role just didn’t suit him the best. There just wasn’t the chemistry between him and Aniston to make this totally believable.

PQ was very nice, and the SQ was decent.

PQ 4 out of 5, SQ 3.5 out of 5, Film 2.5 out of 5

Dan

Tags
The Bounty Hunter Blu Ray
Gear in this thread