Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
attachment.php?attachmentid=180348&d=1279129184
The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373697

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373697

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Anchor Bay Films- 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 82 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC1 (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English LPCM 5.1, English Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Zach Galifianakis, Rob Corddry, Ellen Barkin, Joe Anderson, Ving Rhames, Jeffrey Tambor, Adam Scott, Odette Yustman, Bob Odenkirk,
Directed by: Fouad Mikati
Music by: Andy Ross
Written by: Sam Levinson (screenplay) & Brian Watanabe (earlier screenplay)
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 27, 2010

"Two rival teams of assassins. One killer day at the office."

Film Synopsis:

Operation: Endgame centers around two rival teams of government assassins, who work out of a top-secret underground facility and use code names from the Tarot deck. When new hire “The Fool” joins the group, he arrives for his first day only to discover that the boss has been murdered and the office has been locked down and turned into a ticking time bomb. He must survive his ambitious co-workers, find the killer, and discover a way out before the whole place explodes.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180349&d=1279129268I can't really do better or expand anymore than the above synopsis of 'Operation:Endgame', other than there is no 'killer' as they are all killers. That's really all that happens and honestly, I still can't tell you exactly why it all happened. One team is ordered to kill the other, but 'The Devil', team Alpha's boss sets off the self destruct protocol- 'Operation:Endgame', as he is killed--Leaving all the assassins trapped underground with only an hour or so to live. SO that is the bad; It 's a story that tries to be complex and never really sums up why things happened how they did (my best stab is that it is because they screwed up a mission not to long ago). The good is the terrific ensemble cast who all shined and the first 20 minutes of the film that worked well when it was focused on being a comedy. At that point I really thought I was watching a winner; I was wrong as it turned out to be just OK.

The cast standouts include Rob Corddry (Hot Tub Time Machine. Old School) as Chariot. He stole the film proving that he is capable of carrying a movie, and I would love to see him do so soon! Ellen Barkin was a riot as Empress, the foul-mouthed, sex pot leader of team 'Omega". The rest of the cast includes Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover), Joe Anderson (The Crazies), Ving Rhames (Pulp Fiction), Jeffrey Tambor (Arrested Development), Adam Scott (Step Brothers), Maggie Q (Live Free or Die Hard), Odette Yustman (Cloverfield), Emilie de Ravin (Lost) & Brandon T. Jackson (Tropic Thunder). All the cast members did a solid job and were the reason why this film was passable; delivering some nice laughs. The kills were fun, with a bit more gore than anticipated, but unfortunately the script fell flat with a lame story. This is a great example of a fun and slightly original idea that ended up tripping over its own feet.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong violence and pervasive language including sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373694

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373697

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373697

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373697

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373698

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373698

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373696

'Operation:Endgame' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28.4 Mbps and LPCM 5.1 sound that has an constant bitrate of 6.91 Mbps.

'Operation:Endgame' is an decent Blu-ray release from Anchor Bay Entertainment, having above average looks and sound. The AVC 2.40:1 video has a very slight bit of visible grain with no other video noise to be seen. The grain is exacerbated in dark shots and blacks, though the shadow detail and black level are above average as well. On close-ups and non-panning shots the transfer is sharp and detailed. Long shots have a tendency to lose a bit of the definition but it is not something that stands out unless you are looking for it. The films colors are natural, with a slight under-saturation giving skin-tones, especially in the headquarters control room a pasty appearance. 99% of the move takes place indoors and under florescent lighting; with that in mind the colors and flesh-tones felt right on point. This is a strong HD presentation but not reference material. The Lossless PCM 5.1 audio track is sufficient but it is nothing that will leave you with a sense of 'wow'. I had no issues making out dialogue and the mix seemed spot-on. The front sound-stage had great imaging, dialogue really seemed to come from the actors mouths. The few moments that called big deep LFE did have some meat but were a bit disappointing, never shaking my room. My one complaint is the dynamics of the soundtrack never stood out and it felt, at times, like it was all normalized to the same level. Surround channels were present but never overbearing and hardly ever calling attention to themselves. Again, a sufficient track but nothing spectacular.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Behind The Scenes of Operation:Endgame

• (HD) Alternate Ending

• (HD) Alternate Opening

Final Thoughts:

'Operation:Endgame' started out with a bunch of funny moments, and a lot of potential; however, it never lived up to its opening and seemed to take the long path to nowhere. The alternative ending is the most ludicrous excuse for a special feature I have seen--it's the same ending just cut short by a moment. The movie shined when Rob Corddry was the lead, showing us he is capable of carrying a movie and being more than a funny side-kick. A couple of fun fight scenes ending in some gore, a cool cast and an OK story (yet it never fully explained things) make it a worthy rental. Throw it in your queue if a quirky, raunchy humored cross-genre flick sound right up your alley.

attachment.php?attachmentid=157497&d=1257542613

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS35 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen
Pioneer SC27 Receiver (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Pioneer Elite BDP-23FD Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)
SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Haven't heard of this before. Nice review, I like the cast so I will add it to my Netflix queue and check it out.

post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If it's anywhere in the vein of Shoot 'Em Up, I think I might actually like this. That said: I'll definitely be holding out for a sale.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #4 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM

You guys have been getting some crudy movies lately... got Brooklyn's Finest from Netflix and I'm going to watch that based on you reivew Lee.

Love my BDP-09!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by danoeltico View Post

You guys have been getting some crudy movies lately... got Brooklyn's Finest from Netflix and I'm going to watch that based on you reivew Lee.

Reviewers should get something like hazzardous duty pay for some of the crud they have to sit through.

If watching it wasn't enough, they then have to relive the event while writing the review.

The horror....the horror....
post #6 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Haven't heard nor seen this before but after watching the trailer i think i'll be collecting this. Plus the fact that Odette, Ellen and Maggie is in it!

Cheers
post #7 of 8 Old 07-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Liked: 31
Yet another "Turd" Lee ????

Better days ahead bud ......lol
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Liked: 12
I'll rent this just because Zach Galifianakis is in this.

~Dan
-----------
Cleveland, OH
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Operation Endgame Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Operation by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page