IP Man Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 85 Old 08-18-2010, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post


I think that was a prequel trailer i saw on youtube about this. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it.

Interesting. So between Hung vs IP Man on 2, who do you think will win?

Oh u mean as in the show itself rather than the actual actors? Frankly I think part 2 is probably 99% fiction. I think supposedly they are on par if not for Hung's sickness. In any case the essence of part 2 is saying it is not about winning. 20 years down the road they would be easily defeated.

IMHO I find it unbelievable that when Ip Man could defeat scores of man in part 1 he can't fight against a boxer that doesn't uses his legs.
specuvestor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 85 Old 08-19-2010, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Oh u mean as in the show itself rather than the actual actors? Frankly I think part 2 is probably 99% fiction. I think supposedly they are on par if not for Hung's sickness. In any case the essence of part 2 is saying it is not about winning. 20 years down the road they would be easily defeated.

IMHO I find it unbelievable that when Ip Man could defeat scores of man in part 1 he can't fight against a boxer that doesn't uses his legs.

Yes the show itself. I know it's mostly fiction but would still be interested in finding out who's the better fighter. Yes i know in 20yrs...but was talking about the specific scenario. I think you're right about his sickness. But that was just one hell of a fight. I think i must've replayed that at least 30x or so. lol!!

Agree. Thought that rule wasn't justified just because the guy is starting to get beaten.
JamE55 is offline  
post #63 of 85 Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

I think that was a prequel trailer i saw on youtube about this. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it.

People are calling it a prequel but it isn't by the same production company. Litte details such as Ip Man knowing how to speak english in this "prequel" isn't in sync with the current movies.
mrhan is offline  
post #64 of 85 Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just rewatched Ip Man 1 again and really appreciate the character developments in the movie, especially the constable turn interpretor. Quite rare for HK movies which are usually simplistic black/white good/bad characters.

Think the part when Ip Man move aside for a lorry of Japanese soldiers roll past is pretty revelationary. This was just shortly after he accuse the ex-constable for working for the japs. Later in a short 15 sec shot we also indirectly see him supporting his family of old parents and crippled brother.
specuvestor is offline  
post #65 of 85 Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

People are calling it a prequel but it isn't by the same production company. Litte details such as Ip Man knowing how to speak english in this "prequel" isn't in sync with the current movies.

If it isn't the same production company, how about the producers/directors? I'm guessing they're not the same as the original one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

Think the part when Ip Man move aside for a lorry of Japanese soldiers roll past is pretty revelationary. This was just shortly after he accuse the ex-constable for working for the japs. Later in a short 15 sec shot we also indirectly see him supporting his family of old parents and crippled brother.

What exactly is a "revelationary"? Please explain.
JamE55 is offline  
post #66 of 85 Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post


If it isn't the same production company, how about the producers/directors? I'm guessing they're not the same as the original one?

What exactly is a "revelationary"? Please explain.

I think Ip Man team is different from the prequel team

For lack of better word, as in "revelation" life is hard at times and compromises need to be made for the greater good under suboptimal circstances. In Chinese we say "principles cannot fill the stomach". Ip Man despises the translator but he too cannot kill all the invaders and has to be subservient as well, culminating in his disappointment to tell his wife that he is useless. The last time I felt this way was when I saw "A few good men".
specuvestor is offline  
post #67 of 85 Old 09-08-2010, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor View Post

I think Ip Man team is different from the prequel team

For lack of better word, as in "revelation" life is hard at times and compromises need to be made for the greater good under suboptimal circstances. In Chinese we say "principles cannot fill the stomach". Ip Man despises the translator but he too cannot kill all the invaders and has to be subservient as well, culminating in his disappointment to tell his wife that he is useless. The last time I felt this way was when I saw "A few good men".

I remember that part. It's funny he said he was useless when his martial arts gave way to more than 2 million disciples all over. His ways, techniques and thinking is truly a legend.
JamE55 is offline  
post #68 of 85 Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

If it isn't the same production company, how about the producers/directors? I'm guessing they're not the same as the original one?

It had some of the same actors playing different roles and a different director and producers. The movie itself was....

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
just okay. Maybe not even that. What word can I use to describe something between awful and okay? It actually started off decent and the Wing Chun choreography was good but it all went pretty much south for me when the ninjas show up. Yes, NINJAS! I love ninjas but seriously; who's going to believe Ip Man fought off a group of ninjas. That's when it turned from a biopic to a comedy. This all happens during the third act. I was even forgiving the fact they created a fictional step brother for him in the beginning and Ip man knowing how to speak English....but ninjas! Give me a break! I suppose it's worth watching if your curious about Ip Man's early years but if you wanted something slightly more factual; this isn't it.
mrhan is offline  
post #69 of 85 Old 09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
specuvestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,399
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post


I remember that part. It's funny he said he was useless when his martial arts gave way to more than 2 million disciples all over. His ways, techniques and thinking is truly a legend.

Reality dawned on him. And even when he despised the translator he has done nothing noble either. That led him to start training the factory workers as a first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

What word can I use to describe something between awful and okay? It actually started off decent and the Wing Chun choreography was good but it all went pretty much south for me when the ninjas show up. Yes, NINJAS! I love ninjas but seriously; who's going to believe Ip Man fought off a group of ninjas. That's when it turned from a biopic to a comedy. This all happens during the third act. I was even forgiving the fact they created a fictional step brother for him in the beginning and Ip man knowing how to speak English....but ninjas! Give me a break! I suppose it's worth watching if your curious about Ip Man's early years but if you wanted something slightly more factual; this isn't it.

HK movie at it's "best" Make hay while the sun shines. That's probably the end of Ip Man spin offs then.
specuvestor is offline  
post #70 of 85 Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^ You should put spoiler tags around that. I'm sure others will appreciate it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=492121


If you are going to post a spoiler and especially if it is a big spoiler, you can use the "spoiler tag" to hide your comments in white. For example:

[ spoiler ] Here are the spoilers. [ / spoiler ]

Your comments would then look like this:





Remember to not have ANY spaces between the "[" "]" symbols or the "/" symbol. Again, inside the brackets "[", there are NO spaces.
mrhan is offline  
post #71 of 85 Old 12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Chad T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vincennes, Indiana
Posts: 1,575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally saw this movie last night and absolutely loved it. 5/5 stars for me. Interesting how a lot of my favorite movies of 2010 have been foreign.

I will mention that I spent about 20 minutes playing with audio and subtitles before I actually started watching the movie. The English dub track was just too distracting, so then I tried the other two tracks. I ended up settling on the Cantonese track. All three tracks are DTS-HD MA on the copy I watched (from Netflix). As far as subtitles, there were two English versions, but I couldn't get the first version to work at all on either my BDP-83 or PS3. I ended up settling on the second English subtitle track.

Overall, loved the action/acting/story/pic & audio quality. The audio definitely made the fights even better and more fun to watch.

By the way, it'd be great if the title of the thread was changed from "IP" to "Ip". Every time I would see this movie review, I would say "I.P. Man" in my head. Like a man that works on internet protocol. lol! I know Ralph mentioned how it is actually pronounced in the beginning of his review, but as mentioned, it'd be great if the thread title was changed.

Anyway, thanks Ralph for again leading me to yet another movie I'd never heard of. Your reviews are much appreciated!

Have an Onkyo 805 receiver and having trouble setting up Audyssey? HERE is a mini how-to.Click HERE to check out my comparison review of 5 different projection screen fabrics.
Chad T is offline  
post #72 of 85 Old 12-20-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad T View Post
By the way, it'd be great if the title of the thread was changed from "IP" to "Ip". Every time I would see this movie review, I would say "I.P. Man" in my head. Like a man that works on internet protocol. lol! I know Ralph mentioned how it is actually pronounced in the beginning of his review, but as mentioned, it'd be great if the thread title was changed.
In the 70's when he was mentioned in articles about Bruce Lee he was always called Yip Man. Ip is a correct variation but I've always known him to be called Yip.
mrhan is offline  
post #73 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For those who are interested the Blu Ray version of The Legend Is Born is out now. I believe this is the prequel to IP Man 1 & 2.

I've only seen previews of it. Waiting for my copy to arrive.
JamE55 is offline  
post #74 of 85 Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
thebland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Detroit, Michigan USA
Posts: 23,694
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

For those who are interested the Blu Ray version of The Legend Is Born is out now. I believe this is the prequel to IP Man 1 & 2.

I've only seen previews of it. Waiting for my copy to arrive.

Where did you order from? Thanks for the heads up!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
thebland is offline  
post #75 of 85 Old 01-11-2011, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Where did you order from? Thanks for the heads up!

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this now. Bought it from eBay.

Wanted to update this thread.

Just saw The Legend Is Born - IP Man which is the prequel to both IP Man 1 & 2. Have to say this this movie definitely did not dissappoint! Very very humbling in his ways. Recommend this very highly.

Cheers
JamE55 is offline  
post #76 of 85 Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Sorry for the late reply. Just saw this now. Bought it from eBay.

Wanted to update this thread.

Just saw The Legend Is Born - IP Man which is the prequel to both IP Man 1 & 2. Have to say this this movie definitely did not dissappoint! Very very humbling in his ways. Recommend this very highly.

Cheers

So, the inconsistency with Donnie Yen's versions did not bother you? Ip can speak English in this movie but can't in Donnie's version. Plus, a step brother he never had and the fight with the Ninjas didn't bother you, either? I tried to like this film because it started off well but these points I mentioned bothered me. I believe that Ip did speak English in real life since he attended a Catholic school but since it doesn't mesh with Donnie's version it shouldn't be called a prequel.
mrhan is offline  
post #77 of 85 Old 01-12-2011, 09:39 PM
Member
 
DamoSyzygy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As a Wing Chun practitioner myself, let me put forward my approval of how awesome this film is!

Glad to hear the its coming out on BluRay, I have Ip Man 2 already
DamoSyzygy is offline  
post #78 of 85 Old 01-13-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

So, the inconsistency with Donnie Yen's versions did not bother you? Ip can speak English in this movie but can't in Donnie's version. Plus, a step brother he never had and the fight with the Ninjas didn't bother you, either? I tried to like this film because it started off well but these points I mentioned bothered me. I believe that Ip did speak English in real life since he attended a Catholic school but since it doesn't mesh with Donnie's version it shouldn't be called a prequel.

Not at all. Maybe he just preferred talking in his native language rather than in english? Who knows. That's why it's a prequel. Didn't even know he had a step bro until this and the Ninja's you're talking about i don't think they're really ninja's. I think it's just more of what they're wearing. If they were truly a ninja they would've had more weapons on them than just sword.
JamE55 is offline  
post #79 of 85 Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JamE55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=DamoSyzygy;19818955]As a Wing Chun practitioner myself, let me put forward my approval of how awesome this film is![quote]

How long have you been practicing Wing Chun? If a person were to start learning or taking lessons on Wing Chun today, how long would you guesstimate for that person to learn the basics?
JamE55 is offline  
post #80 of 85 Old 01-13-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mrhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post

Not at all. Maybe he just preferred talking in his native language rather than in english? Who knows. That's why it's a prequel. Didn't even know he had a step bro until this and the Ninja's you're talking about i don't think they're really ninja's. I think it's just more of what they're wearing. If they were truly a ninja they would've had more weapons on them than just sword.

In Ip Man 2 he obviously needed a translator because he did not understand English but in this so called prequel his English is perfect. If he did now English in IM2 don't you think he would have addressed the crowd of mostly English speaking people in English? Also, there were probably not Ninjas but do you think Ip Man really had a fight like that? I've read almost everything written about Ip Man since the 70's and there is no account of this ever happening. I know this is just a movie but come on if their going to sell it as a biopic they should at least ground it in reality. Sure, have some imaginary events to move the story along but this movie just doesn't deliver. I had the same discussion about Dragon: The Bruce Lee story; I hated that movie because nothing in it happened in real life but a lot people believe it to be true and it did well. On the other hand, if you come out with something more true to life they don't like it too much. For example there is this recent movie about Bruce Lee:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1482989/...nest/174336900



Most people hated it because there is barely any fighting in it. What you see in the trailer is most of it. I actually enjoyed it because it was more true to Bruce's life story. Sure, there were a couple of scenes I know aren't true but for the most part it was. I guess people like fictional stories of real people better. It's only a movie after all.
mrhan is offline  
post #81 of 85 Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 AM
Member
 
Lawrence Ng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 View Post


That's sad. He played the part very well and couldn't think of anyone else replacing him. Thought still lingers on who's the better martial arts fighter in IP Man 2. Hung or IP Man?

In real life, Donnie Yen..
Lawrence Ng is offline  
post #82 of 85 Old 04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
This is one case of "better late than never" as I've finally gotten around to watching this and sorry I waited this long.
Outstanding! wink.gif
audiofan1 is online now  
post #83 of 85 Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

This is one case of "better late than never" as I've finally gotten around to watching this and sorry I waited this long.
Outstanding! wink.gif

Greetings,

cool.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #84 of 85 Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

cool.gif


Regards,

Greetings Ralph !

Ya know funny thing happened as I was watching the last 20 min or so the wife came in and found the movie compelling as well and then learning there is a part 2 she comment she would have to watch the all of the first eek.gif I thought for sure this was my guy flick but now I have to wait for her to watch the all of the first so we can do part 2 together.

Says a lot about the movie wink.gif
audiofan1 is online now  
post #85 of 85 Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,053
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Greetings Ralph !

Ya know funny thing happened as I was watching the last 20 min or so the wife came in and found the movie compelling as well and then learning there is a part 2 she comment she would have to watch the all of the first eek.gif I thought for sure this was my guy flick but now I have to wait for her to watch the all of the first so we can do part 2 together.

Says a lot about the movie wink.gif

Greetings,

Great stuff audiofan1. smile.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ip Man Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Ip by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off