Starring: Donnie Yen, Simon Yam, Xiong Dai-Lin, Hiroyuki Ikeuchi, Lam-Ka Tung
Directed by: Yip Wai-Shun
Music by: Kenji Kawai
Written by: Edmund Wong
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 27, 2010

"In the last great war one man defied an empire.."

Film Synopsis:

Ip Man is the award winning film adaptation about the life story of Ip Man, the grand master of the Wing Chun style of kung fu and sifu (master) of legendary kung fu superstar Bruce Lee. Set in Foshan, China, during the Sino Japanese War, Ip Man vividly brings to life the brutality of the infamous Japanese occupation, where once proud men are forced to fight till their death for a precious bag of rice. Defined by courage and humility, one man rises to the fore, Grandmaster Ip Man (Donnie Yen), whose matchless fighting skills are revered all over China. Upon refusing to teach his beloved fighting art to the invading Japanese soldiers, he is forced to fight for the honor of his country in a series of battles that will culminate in a kill or be killed showdown with General Miura (Hiroyuki Ikeuchi) Japan's greatest fighter.

My Take:

attachment.php?attachmentid=180978&d=1279804729

Ip Man is a martial arts/dramatic film based on the life of Ip (pronounced/sounds like It but with a P) Man (Donnie Yen), the grandmaster of Wing Chun and later teacher and mentor to widely influential and legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee. Ip Man is set in the 1930s in Foshan, a hub of southern Chinese martial arts just as the Second Sino-Japan war breaks out. During the war, China is nearly ripped to pieces by racial hatred, nationalistic strife and warfare. Ip Man rose like a phoenix above these ashes as he defied an empire bringing hope to China.

I had no prior knowledge of Master Ip or his story going into this review but as most of you know I generally find film's based on real people interesting. Watching this film it became readily apparent that Master Ip is a man of reverence among his countryman and the martial arts world. The story opens in Fo Shan in 1935 with Master Ip having attained a position of status/wealth in the community. His mastery of the martial art of Wing Chun is held in high regard among the many martial art masters living and running schools in Fo Shan. He is a man of integrity and honor who emphasizes the values taught through martial arts. On occasion he receives challenges (some friendly some not) in order to test his skill. He has yet to meet a challenger capable of matching his ability.

In 1938 when Japan invaded China Master Ip and his wife and son were forced to leave their compound and live in poverty. Master Ip resorts to manual labor in order to feed his family. The Japanese have begun holding tournaments using the local Chinese martial arts masters to test the prowess of their Japanese Martial Arts. Master Ip refuses to lower himself to their standards of entertainment until a close friend of his is beaten to death at the hands of their most skilled martial artist General Miura, who also happens to be the general in command of the Japanese regiment in Fo Shan. This sets of a series of clashes between Master Ip and the Japanese which culminates in his arrest and ultimate public confrontation with General Miura. With the entire city and country behind him Master Ip faces his most deadly foe. With victory or defeat his life hangs in the balance. One thing is certain, he means to stand up for his people and his honor

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. The script/screenplay blends elements of martial arts action and drama with pitch perfect pacing that makes it both engaging and evocative. The martial arts choreography is top notch, perfectly integrated and fun to watch. Donnie Yen committed himself to the portrayal of Master Ip and that definitely came across in his performance. The film was nominated for 12 Hong Kong film awards and won Best Film and Best Action Choreography. Genre fans are sure to appreciate this entertaining and fitting tribute to the Grand Master of Wing Chun (and mentor to Bruce Lee) Master Ip.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692
attachment.php?attachmentid=180977&d=1279804729

Ip Man comes to Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

This film has an intentionally stylized visual design that utilizes a muted color scheme that works aesthetically well for the film's theme and setting. The color range is limited to shades of gray and black with splashes of crimson and muted sepia tones. Warm accents are used here and there to break up the film's monochromatic essence. Fleshtones hold up nicely against the de-saturated chroma and don't appear unnatural. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are punchy and grays are multi-staged and deep. I find the quality of the video to be high. It isn't always razor sharp but it's cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement and delineation that enhances depth and reveals fine detail in objects, clothing, and physical features. Blacks are slightly washed out but gradationally revealing which combines with excellent detail in low light and shadowy backgrounds to provide a strong sense of dimension.

I was disappointed to find that the original Mandarin langauge seemed to be out of synch which made it appear dubbed (I assume this is the problem). From what I have read this appears innate to the master and isn't directly related to this encoding. The other audio options were dubbed English, and Cantonese with an option for English subtitles. I just to settled for the English dubbed soundtrack (the voiceovers are pretty bad). The high resolution DTS-HD MA surround mix delivers the soundtrack's elements with aplomb. The higher fidelity inherent in this lossless sound mix was readily apparent. Dynamics range is extended which renders the film's action based sequences with definitive impact and energy. Dialogue is presented with crystal clear intonation, full bodied texture, and deep room penetration. The sounds of breaking objects, hand to hand combat, and Kenji Kawai's beautifully orchestrated music is reproduced with sparkling clarity. Imaging across the front soundstage is excellent as sounds are integrated with precision. This is an involving surround mix that intelligently utilizes the entire system where appropriate. During the fight sequences the listening position is actively engaged by a mixture of spatial and localizable sound effects that place the listener in the heart of the action (listen for the jarring gunshot that comes from the back of the room in the finale). Low frequency detail is clean, well articulated and authoritative as points of contact seem to resonate with palpable impact. This isn't a bombastic or overly aggressive soundtrack but it's blend of intricate detail and room filling dynamics make for a first rate home theater experience.

* CIH users should note that the subtitles appear both within and below the picture area.*

Bonus Features:

• The collector's edition contains bonus supplements on both the blu-ray disc and a separate DVD.

• Blu-ray features:

• (HD/1080i) Making of Ip man - 18 minute featurette

• (HD-1080i> Original theatrical trailers

• 3 Deleted scenes

• DVD features:

• Shooting diary

• Behind the sets - Cotton mill, Streets of Fo Shan, Ip man's home

• Interviews - Director, Action Direction, Members of the cast
attachment.php?attachmentid=180979&d=1279804729

Final Thoughts:

Ip Man is a martial arts/dramatic film based on the life of Ip Man, the grandmaster of Wing Chun Kung Fu and later teacher and mentor to widely influential and legendary martial artist, Bruce Lee. I enjoyed the film's engaging and evocative blend of action, drama and slick martial arts choreography which is perfectly integrated and fun to watch. It is apparent while watching Ip man that it is indeed a labor of love for the filmmakers and cast. The Collector's Edition debuts on Blu-ray Disc from Well Go USA in a technically strong offering that features top notch audio/video quality, and an above average set of bonus material that looks behind the scenes at the production. If you're a fan this is a must have for your collection. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)
Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome Movie... Great review
post #3 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 AM

Thanks Ralph for the heads up.
I had never heard of this film.
Sounds like good stuff!

Are we having fun yet?
post #4 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Never heard of this movie before. Did this even make it out in the theaters?

Since i'm a huge fan of martial arts film and based on this review and trailers i've seen this is definitely a collect for me. In one of the trailer scenes the speed of kung fu being displayed is pretty impressive.

Collect!

Cheers
post #5 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 08:24 AM

This is a great movie. I give 5/5 stars. I can't believe they have it in blu-ray now. This is just part 1, i hope part 2 comes out in blu-ray soon.
post #6 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Count me among those who had never heard of this before. As a fan of this genre of films, I'll be looking for it soon!
post #7 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I haven't seen this on Blu-Ray, but on DVD. Let me tell you, this film is simply awesome. If you are even remotely a fan of Kung-Fu flicks, you will want this one in your collection.

Also, Ralph, you said:

Quote:

to test the prowess of their Japanese kung fu

Kung Fu is limited to China, the Japanese call it Karate among many other names, but Japanese Kung Fu does not exist. Just sayin'!

Cheers,
post #8 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Part 2 is already out in Hong Kong (region A) and can be found in yesasia.com..
This is indeed a great movie!
post #9 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Both parts are already available as a set on BD in HK and it's Region A. A few people on this site have already purchased the second part.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...roductID=10968
post #10 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

Ralph, you said:

Kung Fu is limited to China, the Japanese call it Karate among many other names, but Japanese Kung Fu does not exist. Just sayin'!

Cheers,

Greetings,

Thanks McStyvie. Noted and corrected..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan View Post

Both parts are already available as a set on BD in HK and it's Region A. A few people on this site have already purchased the second part.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...roductID=10968

Greetings,

The press release I received from Well Go USA indicates that part 2 will be available here in 2011.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #12 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

The press release I received from Well Go USA indicates that part 2 will be available here in 2011.

Regards,

I wanted to put that link up for those that don't want to wait.
post #13 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Very well done film if you like martial arts films or not.
post #14 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 02:27 PM

Don't confuse this movie with TCP/IP Man, which is about a karate network administrator.
post #15 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTripps View Post

Don't confuse this movie with TCP/IP Man, which is about a karate network administrator.

So long your career is not a full time comedian, you'll be fine...
post #16 of 85 Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I'm looking foward to seeing this. A friend gave me a head's up about it a few months ago via youtube. If you want to get a feel for the martial art talent at play try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhPDEOYbx4

After watching this, I was reminded of Eddie Murphy's Live comedy video when he mocked movie characters in haunted houses who refuse to leave despite blood in the toliet bowl and the house talking to them (very funny video concert by the way-for adults only). After watching how Ip Man dealt with the first two or three combatants (aka victims) I would have been out the door faster than you can say "Ip Man!".
post #17 of 85 Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Greetings,

Thanks McStyvie. Noted and corrected..

Regards,

post #18 of 85 Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Nice to see a 4 and an 89. I'm in for this one..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #19 of 85 Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:

I was disappointed to find that the original Mandarin langauge seemed to be out of synch which made it appear dubbed (I assume this is the problem). From what I have read this appears innate to the master and isn't directly related to this encoding.

Isn't Cantonese the original language on the movie, hence the lossless track going to Cantonese? Check that and see if it still seems dubbed.
post #20 of 85 Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This is an excellent movie, highly recommended. I watched the otherwise terrible looking dvd release just a month or so ago and eagerly look forward to getting the Blu-ray release. However as it's been mention here and in several threads relating to this movie, there is also a Hong Kong/Asia Blu-ray release that is packaged with the recently released sequel (which also gets high marks) and I am wondering if anyone has been able to view the import and can comment on the a/v quality of that release and perhaps can even compare it to this US release.

T.B.
post #21 of 85 Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullboy66 View Post

Isn't Cantonese the original language on the movie, hence the lossless track going to Cantonese? Check that and see if it still seems dubbed.

Yup, both this and the sequel are Canto productions.
post #22 of 85 Old 07-24-2010, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Looking forward to this now, after chucking the hideous UK release.
post #23 of 85 Old 07-25-2010, 04:29 AM

Liked: 11
Another thoughtful and detailed review, thanks Ralph!

I got the Ip Man 1 in Taiwan and the IP man 1+2 boxed set from HK.
The latter contains more soundtracks and I find the original Cantonese DTS-HD
is indeed out of sync, fortunately the other soundtracks appear to be normal
(except for the LPCM which I can't confirm without lossless decoder yet).
Plus the DTS-HD track seems to have lesser volume compared to the others.

Please check them out in the US version and see how it goes
post #24 of 85 Old 07-25-2010, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Part 2 even had a better picture quality.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #25 of 85 Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I have both on BR and I'm curious how the American release differs from the Chinese version, released on Universe Laser and Video, especially concerning the translation.
Ralph, is this the only version you've seen? AV quality on my 2 are excellent and aside from more extras, the translated text is my only wonder.
post #26 of 85 Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

I have both on BR and I'm curious how the American release differs from the Chinese version, released on Universe Laser and Video, especially concerning the translation.
Ralph, is this the only version you've seen? AV quality on my 2 are excellent and aside from more extras, the translated text is my only wonder.

Greetings,

This is the only version I have seen. Sorry.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #27 of 85 Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM

Saw IP Man and IP Man 2, back to back this weekend. Quite honestly, never really bothered to look into this movie till I read this review. What can I say, WOW!!! some of the moves just blew me away. IP Man 2 definitely kicked some serious butt!!
post #28 of 85 Old 07-26-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Greetings,

This is the only version I have seen. Sorry.

Regards,

Ok, time to double-dip, in the interest of science ...this is such a good movie, I've seen it many times so a comparison should be easy.
2 picks up right after 1 and these have become my most treasured martial arts BR's. There is also a prequel in the works and if it's done right it will make for a heck of a trilogy.
post #29 of 85 Old 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM
L_T

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

I haven't seen this on Blu-Ray, but on DVD. Let me tell you, this film is simply awesome. If you are even remotely a fan of Kung-Fu flicks, you will want this one in your collection.

Also, Ralph, you said:

Cheers,

Actually, it doesn't matter. The Chinese meaning behind Kung - Fu litterally means anything you can practice and become good at. So it is a very generic term to begin with.

Also, Karate is more or less a Okinawan fighting style. It is believed that the short and stocky farm people of Okinawa who weren't able to do the fluid movements of Kung Fu (brought over from China) changed the fighting style to be more direct and ridgid. Karate roughly translates to empty fist.

The Okinawan farmers were not Japanese and already native to those islands. The Japanese put laws in place preventing the owning of weapons. Hence the use of empty handed combat with the use of farm tools (Sickle, Rice flails/Nunchucks) as weapons.

The proper accepted term for Chinese style martial arts is Wushu or the sport form Koshu.

As for the movie it was ok but understand that it is highly fictionalized. There really was a Yip Man/Ip Man who was one of Bruce Lee's earliest teachers. However, this movie is a highly fictionalized version of his life.
post #30 of 85 Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Great explanation L_T!
In IP Man the martial art styles were interpreted and performed fairly authentically.
Donnie Yen's effort in practicing Wing Chun has truly paid off.

Ip Man is a BD-25 in the states, in HK version its a BD-50.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ip Man Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Ip by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page